Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who knew you could go inside the Orwell Bridge? I didn't... 12:45 - Feb 22 with 1095 viewsipswich78

Not sure why, but I think it would be quite a cool thing to do should the opportunity arises. I just saw a post on Facebook from local MP Tom Hunt and he's sharing pictures of a local visit.

https://www.facebook.com/tom4ipswich/photos/pcb.1051880718641691/105187115864264

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

Who knew you could go inside the Orwell Bridge? I didn't... on 12:47 - Feb 22 with 1055 viewswkj

Did they lock him inside?

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Who knew you could go inside the Orwell Bridge? I didn't... on 12:49 - Feb 22 with 1039 viewsDrissaDiallo

I went in it a few times early 2000's. I walked underneath it as well a few times (at the join between the bridge and legs) to do some checks. I was working for a civil engineering company that looked after the A14 at the time. It's actually really big inside. You could drive a bus through it! It's also actually two completely separate bridges.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 12:54]
Who knew you could go inside the Orwell Bridge? I didn't... on 12:50 - Feb 22 with 1029 viewsSitfcB

Yes I thought it was quite well known that there’s two ‘tunnels’ under the road.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Who knew you could go inside the Orwell Bridge? I didn't... on 12:53 - Feb 22 with 986 viewsSitfcB

Who knew you could go inside the Orwell Bridge? I didn't... on 12:49 - Feb 22 by DrissaDiallo

I went in it a few times early 2000's. I walked underneath it as well a few times (at the join between the bridge and legs) to do some checks. I was working for a civil engineering company that looked after the A14 at the time. It's actually really big inside. You could drive a bus through it! It's also actually two completely separate bridges.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 12:54]

I told someone the other week that the tunnels are big enough for a single decker bus to drive through on some Facebook page as someone was asking about it, some people were having none of it.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Who knew you could go inside the Orwell Bridge? I didn't... on 13:07 - Feb 22 with 871 viewsfactual_blue

Who knew you could go inside the Orwell Bridge? I didn't... on 12:50 - Feb 22 by SitfcB

Yes I thought it was quite well known that there’s two ‘tunnels’ under the road.

They're actually for the long-planned Woodbridge extension to the Ipswich Underground network.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Who knew you could go inside the Orwell Bridge? I didn't... on 13:17 - Feb 22 with 834 viewsGuthrum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_girder_bridge

It's what gives it the strength.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 13:19]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Who knew you could go inside the Orwell Bridge? I didn't... on 13:45 - Feb 22 with 744 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Hunt seems to be trying to claim credit for the measures being taken to try to keep the bridge open during high winds - work on which started a year before he was elected.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Who knew you could go inside the Orwell Bridge? I didn't... on 14:03 - Feb 22 with 709 viewsDarkblue

Who knew you could go inside the Orwell Bridge? I didn't... on 13:17 - Feb 22 by Guthrum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_girder_bridge

It's what gives it the strength.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 13:19]

You're absolutely right that one of the crucial parts of this bridge is the box girder form for the main road supporting elements.

When you have a span as long as the Orwell bridge (I believe it's about 190m) you start to get issues with deflection. Concrete is also very heavy and you start to get issues with the amount of load applied. Box girders are a very rigid "stiff" form of structure and so this helps to limit deflection for these very long structures. You also reduce the amount of concrete present which is a significant cost, time & environmental saving. Being able to go inside is also really useful from a maintenance perspective.

These type of box girders can also be found on the railway as well. I've had to spend some time inside steel box girders for inspection on the railway(it's not very nice!).

Another really interesting example of this kind of "hollow" construction is Royal Albert Bridge in Plymouth:

Login to get fewer ads

Who knew you could go inside the Orwell Bridge? I didn't... on 14:26 - Feb 22 with 660 viewsGeoffSentence

I hope he stayed on his side. Half of the bridge is in South Suffolk, it is bad enough that we have James Cartlidge without that Hunt sneaking in through the bridge's bowels.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024