Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Qatar World Cup 14:32 - Feb 23 with 1674 viewseastangliaisblue

I've just been reading an article in The Guardian about migrant workers building the stadiums for the Qatar World Cup.

6,500 have now been killed working on it. That's an average of 12 a week since Qatar were announced as hosts.

Hang your heads in shame Qatari government and FIFA. You have a lot of blood on your hands.
Qatar World Cup on 14:58 - Feb 23 with 1613 viewsTJS

Whilst it is an appalling number this figure is the number of migrant workers who have died in the whole country from all causes (including natural).
That is very different from 6500 dying as a result of work related accidents on stadium construction sites.
Qatar World Cup on 15:00 - Feb 23 with 1602 viewsGeorge03

Gary Neville did a documentary on sky sports about the Qatar world cup and went to the construction sites-some of the condition were appalling.
Think you can find it on YouTube
[Post edited 23 Feb 2021 15:18]
Qatar World Cup on 15:02 - Feb 23 with 1589 viewsGeorge03

Qatar World Cup on 15:00 - Feb 23 by George03

Gary Neville did a documentary on sky sports about the Qatar world cup and went to the construction sites-some of the condition were appalling.
Think you can find it on YouTube
[Post edited 23 Feb 2021 15:18]

Qatar World Cup on 15:12 - Feb 23 with 1568 viewseastangliaisblue

Qatar World Cup on 14:58 - Feb 23 by TJS

Whilst it is an appalling number this figure is the number of migrant workers who have died in the whole country from all causes (including natural).
That is very different from 6500 dying as a result of work related accidents on stadium construction sites.

My apologies, I've re-read the article again and you're right. I completely misread that the first time, so I hold my hands up.

As you say though, that is an appalling number.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2021 15:12]
Qatar World Cup on 15:44 - Feb 23 with 1504 viewsTJS

Qatar World Cup on 15:12 - Feb 23 by eastangliaisblue

My apologies, I've re-read the article again and you're right. I completely misread that the first time, so I hold my hands up.

As you say though, that is an appalling number.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2021 15:12]

No country that has never even qualified for a World Cup should EVER be allowed to host it again.
That should be the first rule.
The only reason I think it should go ahead in Qatar now is purely out of respect to those workers that died as to never use the stadiums would be an even bigger insult to them.
Qatar World Cup on 16:56 - Feb 23 with 1430 viewsWeekender

Qatar World Cup on 15:44 - Feb 23 by TJS

No country that has never even qualified for a World Cup should EVER be allowed to host it again.
That should be the first rule.
The only reason I think it should go ahead in Qatar now is purely out of respect to those workers that died as to never use the stadiums would be an even bigger insult to them.

I'm currently reading a book about the FIFA bidding process for the 2022 world cup. The corruption is staggering. Qatar paid endless football officials via slush funds connected to a construction company (Kemco) to gain the votes of the FIFA Exco. The owner of Kemco was is a close associate of the Qatari royal family; Mohammad Bin Hammam. He was also the head of the Asian Football Federation and on the FIFA Exco at the time.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Qatar World Cup on 17:24 - Feb 23 with 1391 viewsRadlett_blue

Qatar World Cup on 16:56 - Feb 23 by Weekender

I'm currently reading a book about the FIFA bidding process for the 2022 world cup. The corruption is staggering. Qatar paid endless football officials via slush funds connected to a construction company (Kemco) to gain the votes of the FIFA Exco. The owner of Kemco was is a close associate of the Qatari royal family; Mohammad Bin Hammam. He was also the head of the Asian Football Federation and on the FIFA Exco at the time.

There are so many things wrong with the World Cup in a country which is half the size of Wales that I hardly know where to begin - the obvious corruption, the lack of infrastructure (both football & otherwise), the country's medieval laws, the decision to move the competition to the winter (the delegates weren't told about this) and yes, the exploitation of low paid, badly treated workers. This did seem a chance for the larger countries to stand up to the corrupt FIFA & tell them to "stick your World Cup up your boll0cks", but as usual, they bottled it.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Qatar World Cup on 17:32 - Feb 23 with 1378 viewsChurchman

When blotter pulled Qatar out of the hat the stench of corruption was overwhelming. You could see the laughter on the tub of lard’s face.

The main ‘footballing countries’ such as Brazil, Germany, France, Argentina, Spain and England (where the tv money is generated, not footballing prowess in England’s case) should have pulled out, formed a new organisation, anything but go along with it.

As for migrant labour, I’ve not read about it, but I am aware from a friend who worked in Saudi how it goes in some of these countries. It’s not good.
Login to get fewer ads

Qatar World Cup on 17:56 - Feb 23 with 1350 viewsRadlett_blue

Qatar World Cup on 17:32 - Feb 23 by Churchman

When blotter pulled Qatar out of the hat the stench of corruption was overwhelming. You could see the laughter on the tub of lard’s face.

The main ‘footballing countries’ such as Brazil, Germany, France, Argentina, Spain and England (where the tv money is generated, not footballing prowess in England’s case) should have pulled out, formed a new organisation, anything but go along with it.

As for migrant labour, I’ve not read about it, but I am aware from a friend who worked in Saudi how it goes in some of these countries. It’s not good.

I think the look on Bloater's face was his feigned amusement that he'd been outmaneuvered by Platini. Funnily enough, a FIFA "investigation" cleared Qatar of any wrongdoing.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Qatar World Cup on 18:01 - Feb 23 with 1341 viewsChurchman

Qatar World Cup on 17:56 - Feb 23 by Radlett_blue

I think the look on Bloater's face was his feigned amusement that he'd been outmaneuvered by Platini. Funnily enough, a FIFA "investigation" cleared Qatar of any wrongdoing.

Qatar cleared by FIFA? Funny that.
Qatar World Cup on 18:10 - Feb 23 with 1329 viewsbluelagos

Which book you reading? I know David Conn wrote a good one.

Incidentally David Yallop wrote "How they stole the game" all about corruption in Fifa and that was first printed in 1999 ffs. He details all the dodgy deals done by MSL selling off the TV rights and the undoubted corruption of Blatter's predecessor and others in siphoning off dosh in back handers. Well worth a read if you are interested.

This was all in the public domain for years and yet they did sfa to address it. Why? Because the corruption was endemic, a way of working, the way it was.

Absolutely we should have left them to it as nothing short of leaving and starting again will have the desired effect.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2021 18:12]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Qatar World Cup on 18:35 - Feb 23 with 1312 viewsMattinLondon

I think the blood will be soaked up by US dollars and Euros which will does wonders to wipe clean the conscience of corrupt organisations.
Qatar World Cup Research on 13:12 - Apr 8 with 1079 viewstractorgirlkeren

Hi, my name is Keren, and although I am Suffolk born and bred and my mum and I are ITFC Tractor Girls, I am currently in the Netherlands completing my master’s degree in Tourism Destination Management and I was wondering if you could help with my dissertation?

Topic: “Understanding the image of ‘Destination Qatar’ by British World Cup football fans and their intention to travel for FIFA 2022: examining their FIFA 2022 needs, concerns and expectations”

I would be most grateful if you could fill in the following questionnaire and share it with friends who also love football/the World Cup:

https://buas.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_430ZPOY8t0l0xVA

Thanks in advance!
[Post edited 8 Apr 2021 13:13]
Qatar World Cup on 13:21 - Apr 8 with 1043 viewsStokieBlue

It's awful.

They should never have been given the tournament in the first place and since then they should have had it taken away many times.

FIFA are the ones here who really need to take a look at themselves. They are a total joke.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Qatar World Cup Research on 16:09 - Apr 8 with 961 viewsbluelagos

Qatar World Cup Research on 13:12 - Apr 8 by tractorgirlkeren

Hi, my name is Keren, and although I am Suffolk born and bred and my mum and I are ITFC Tractor Girls, I am currently in the Netherlands completing my master’s degree in Tourism Destination Management and I was wondering if you could help with my dissertation?

Topic: “Understanding the image of ‘Destination Qatar’ by British World Cup football fans and their intention to travel for FIFA 2022: examining their FIFA 2022 needs, concerns and expectations”

I would be most grateful if you could fill in the following questionnaire and share it with friends who also love football/the World Cup:

https://buas.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_430ZPOY8t0l0xVA

Thanks in advance!
[Post edited 8 Apr 2021 13:13]

Might I suggest a new thread if you want to get more attention to your questionnaire.

BL

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024