Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
In Horse racing, Money talks... Elliot is disgusting 13:19 - Mar 1 with 3886 viewsBelsteadCav

But He’ll just get a fine

Imagine if that was your horse, I’d be livid.

They should ban him and his horses from Cheltenham straight away, hit him where it hurts.

King of the board since 98
Poll: Updated Poll . What would you rather win as a Sportsman

In Horse racing, Money talks... Elliot is disgusting on 15:24 - Mar 1 with 883 viewsRyorry

In Horse racing, Money talks... Elliot is disgusting on 14:41 - Mar 1 by J2BLUE

To be fair it's a different ball game getting criticised by actual vegans. You are right of course. In an ideal world we would not use animals for anything including sport.

I do agree with Rommers/Ryorry that they have very good lives but being in the wild would probably be their preference so I have to acknowledge that.

I think thoroughbred racehorses would be very unlikely to survive in the wild without great hardship & high numbers of fatalities tbh, at least for a few generations until they adapted through natural selection. They have very delicate legs, very short coats & are bred to be cosseted by humans, which necessarily includes wearing rugs & stabling indoors in winter & adverse weather.

However, I do agree that it would be better for racehorses to live more natural lives than the current situation of (mostly) being cooped up in their stables except when racing or exercising. This is something anti-racing people never seem to mention, but if all trainers were to turn their horses out into paddocks for most of the day when they're not racing & the weather's clement, this could quickly bring about a big improvement in racehorse welfare. Luckily, increasing numbers of trainers are now doing this, but the majority remain too worried about injuries they fear will be caused by doing so.

Anyway, jeezus, have just seen the photo, utterly shocking. Any decent trainer (which is 99.9999% of them) will be horrified by this, as they genuinely love their horses & their normal instinctive reaction wd be upset, sadness & respect. *No way* would those others sit in any manner on a dead one 🤬

This topic's been discussed on here so many times before, including a couple of days ago -
Man impaled by own cock. Dies. by Ryorry 28 Feb 2021 5:57
The kind of whip, and whipping, depicted in that cartoon were banned 10 years ago, and a further review is currently being carried out -

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2011/oct/18/jockeys-whip-didnt-hurt

https://www.britishhorseracing.com/regulation/the-whip/

"A spokesman said: “The BHA has committed to undertake a consultation regarding the use of the whip in British racing, as per the recommendations of the Horse Welfare Board’s strategic plan for the welfare of horses bred for racing. "

The vast majority of racehorses suffering injuries which allow them to graze in paddoks but not to race (depicted in the cartoon) are these days retrained & rehomed to private individuals as companion animals or for leisure riding, where they are loved & looked after for the rest of their natural lives.

Significant advances in vet medicine are now being made to pre-diagnose asymptomatic latent stress fractures in horses, which currently cannot be diagnosed before they catastrophically break down.

This topic has been discussed a dozen or more times previously on TWTD; to save me having to boringly repeat myself, you could do a search to find those.

And Facters - trying to compare the life of racehorses in 2021 with animals like cocks deliberately placed in situations where they can only either maim and kill, or be maimed & killed themselves, is nonsensical and invidious.

- not sure how useful it is to keep going round in circles.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

In Horse racing, Money talks... Elliot is disgusting on 15:54 - Mar 1 with 840 viewsgtsb1966

In Horse racing, Money talks... Elliot is disgusting on 13:23 - Mar 1 by BelsteadCav

How can anyone believe that load of bull s#*t

I've seen the photo. What a lying **** he is. He had to manoeuvre himself in position to sit like that. He could have just leant on the railings next to him. Hope they throw the book at him.
In Horse racing, Money talks... Elliot is disgusting on 16:14 - Mar 1 with 799 viewsRadlett_blue

In Horse racing, Money talks... Elliot is disgusting on 13:24 - Mar 1 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Excuse straight from the Wayne Hennessey playbook of believable explanations

But it’s definitely not a cruel sport, those horses are treated like kings etc etc

It's not a good look from a leading trainer in a sport/business which prides itself on the treatment of its equine athletes. However, before joining the outpouring of moral outrage, people should ask themselves if this added to the suffering of the unfortunate horse.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

In Horse racing, Money talks... Elliot is disgusting on 00:48 - Mar 2 with 724 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I know this thread has dropped to page 3 and I’m sure a lot of people would think us racing fans would be happy for it to be out of sight, out of mind. But no. I need to say my piece now on something that isn’t yet public. It’s not out there but will be within the next 24 hours I’m absolutely sure.

Elliott has been banned from British racing. They’ve blocked his runners which is the same thing until the IHRB make a decision at the hearing. So affectively he’s been banned over here entirely. His Cheltenham horses will not be able to run. He has been banished from the sport in this country. And rightly so. If Envoi Allen doesn’t run, that will likely have cost me well into a four-figure sum. But it’s the right decision.

However, there’s a video going round late tonight (I’ve also seen it tonight on my WhatsApp group for racing directly from an owner) of a Jockey from that same yard elsewhere appearing on video to jump on a dead horse. He pretends to sit on it as the group are waiting for the horse to be taken away. They’re callously laughing in a way that I’ve not seen from anyone about the death of a horse and can’t believe has happened here. Quite frankly, and I’m not ashamed to say it, it’s made me cry. It paints the dark picture that those in racing don’t care for the horses and that it’s nothing more than a money orientated way to exploit animals. Whilst I know that isn’t true, disgusting things like this do nothing but give ammunition to those who believe it’s a sport that is cruel. I want to be the first one on here (not many people int be world will have even heard the video exists let alone seen it at this point) to say right now he should be banned for life. Rob James should not be allowed anywhere near horses again. Anybody that has shown any disregard or disrespect to any horse in the sport should be blacklisted immediately and never allowed back.

I also want to plead with TWTD to believe me when I say this isn’t the sport so many people like myself know so well and love. My Cheltenham group chat was horrified. I physically cried. It’s absolutely awful. The media, other jockeys, trainers, stable lads, lasses and owners tomorrow when this properly leaks will do everything they can to highlight how this is not the sport we know. The two horrible incidents may not be the end. There could be one other awful video to come. But you must believe me when I say that that is not horse racing. That’s not the sport. It’s a sport where the whole focus is on the animals. They’re given the best care, the most love and the most attention and that is how it should be. C**ts like Gordon Elliott and Rob James should be banned from the sport. But the sport itself shouldn’t be blamed.

I know on TWTD racing gets talked about and as someone who does racing previews often, I just wanted to give my piece on this as it will come out tomorrow and I’d hate to think that it looks like I’m ducking the situation. I’m angry, disturbed and disgusted - which is the same for 99.9999% of the sport. This week is undoubtedly the darkest for racing in my lifetime with the worst tomorrow yet to come when this video leaks. As someone associated with racing, I felt I ought to say something now with TWTD as good a place as any (not the only place admittedly).

I also want to say that with all this stuff going on, I’m unsure as to whether my Cheltenham preview threads are now appropriate in a fortnights time. The sport is going to be heavily under pressure this week and with some on here already against my racing preview threads over the last 6 years as it is, it might be best to not antagonise people with them. I can do no more than hope people understand that if I genuinely felt there was any harm, neglect, cruelty or abuse towards horses in the sport on a scale more than 1 or 2 bad apples in a sport of hundreds of thousands, I’d be nowhere near it as an animal lover. The video below is a much better example of the sport I know and love.

[Post edited 2 Mar 2021 0:59]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

In Horse racing, Money talks... Elliot is disgusting on 01:30 - Mar 2 with 699 viewsStenvict

In Horse racing, Money talks... Elliot is disgusting on 00:48 - Mar 2 by The_Romford_Blue

I know this thread has dropped to page 3 and I’m sure a lot of people would think us racing fans would be happy for it to be out of sight, out of mind. But no. I need to say my piece now on something that isn’t yet public. It’s not out there but will be within the next 24 hours I’m absolutely sure.

Elliott has been banned from British racing. They’ve blocked his runners which is the same thing until the IHRB make a decision at the hearing. So affectively he’s been banned over here entirely. His Cheltenham horses will not be able to run. He has been banished from the sport in this country. And rightly so. If Envoi Allen doesn’t run, that will likely have cost me well into a four-figure sum. But it’s the right decision.

However, there’s a video going round late tonight (I’ve also seen it tonight on my WhatsApp group for racing directly from an owner) of a Jockey from that same yard elsewhere appearing on video to jump on a dead horse. He pretends to sit on it as the group are waiting for the horse to be taken away. They’re callously laughing in a way that I’ve not seen from anyone about the death of a horse and can’t believe has happened here. Quite frankly, and I’m not ashamed to say it, it’s made me cry. It paints the dark picture that those in racing don’t care for the horses and that it’s nothing more than a money orientated way to exploit animals. Whilst I know that isn’t true, disgusting things like this do nothing but give ammunition to those who believe it’s a sport that is cruel. I want to be the first one on here (not many people int be world will have even heard the video exists let alone seen it at this point) to say right now he should be banned for life. Rob James should not be allowed anywhere near horses again. Anybody that has shown any disregard or disrespect to any horse in the sport should be blacklisted immediately and never allowed back.

I also want to plead with TWTD to believe me when I say this isn’t the sport so many people like myself know so well and love. My Cheltenham group chat was horrified. I physically cried. It’s absolutely awful. The media, other jockeys, trainers, stable lads, lasses and owners tomorrow when this properly leaks will do everything they can to highlight how this is not the sport we know. The two horrible incidents may not be the end. There could be one other awful video to come. But you must believe me when I say that that is not horse racing. That’s not the sport. It’s a sport where the whole focus is on the animals. They’re given the best care, the most love and the most attention and that is how it should be. C**ts like Gordon Elliott and Rob James should be banned from the sport. But the sport itself shouldn’t be blamed.

I know on TWTD racing gets talked about and as someone who does racing previews often, I just wanted to give my piece on this as it will come out tomorrow and I’d hate to think that it looks like I’m ducking the situation. I’m angry, disturbed and disgusted - which is the same for 99.9999% of the sport. This week is undoubtedly the darkest for racing in my lifetime with the worst tomorrow yet to come when this video leaks. As someone associated with racing, I felt I ought to say something now with TWTD as good a place as any (not the only place admittedly).

I also want to say that with all this stuff going on, I’m unsure as to whether my Cheltenham preview threads are now appropriate in a fortnights time. The sport is going to be heavily under pressure this week and with some on here already against my racing preview threads over the last 6 years as it is, it might be best to not antagonise people with them. I can do no more than hope people understand that if I genuinely felt there was any harm, neglect, cruelty or abuse towards horses in the sport on a scale more than 1 or 2 bad apples in a sport of hundreds of thousands, I’d be nowhere near it as an animal lover. The video below is a much better example of the sport I know and love.

Ignore the haters, Rommy. I enjoy your write ups. Unfortunately, there will always be people revelling in these sort of stories as it 'backs their opinions up'. This really is a one off and I hope people recognise this.
I own numerous racehorses and have had to make difficult decisions when it comes to retiring horses, but ultimately, the horses welfare comes first.

Poll: What will be announced first?

In Horse racing, Money talks... Elliot is disgusting on 09:14 - Mar 2 with 583 viewseireblue

In Horse racing, Money talks... Elliot is disgusting on 00:48 - Mar 2 by The_Romford_Blue

So clearly I have a different perspective.

Horses die whilst racing or as a consequence of racing.

You are getting emotional about the treatment of a dead horse.

There are horses that are alive now, and will die with a jockey sitting on them, or shortly after, for your entertainment.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024