Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jackson 15:08 - Mar 13 with 2666 viewsHerbivore

Has offered more of a threat in these opening 6 minutes than Norwood managed in the last 2 games. Those who hammer him constantly don't know football. He works the channels really well and he's produced two excellent cut backs already.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Jackson on 16:46 - Mar 13 with 574 viewsHerbivore

Jackson on 16:39 - Mar 13 by Keaneish

His running in the channels is excellent and it’s easy to see why him and Norwood worked so well as a two. Jackson’s work for the openings and Norwood’s movement and poaching in the box is a good complimentary partnership. It’a problem for Cook; they need to play together. Maybe it’s time for Jackson to get a run as an inside forward in place of Edwards which is what we discussed last season.

I think it could work. Lambert tried it twice and seemed to instruct Jackson to get chalk on his boots. Let him play as more of an inside forward and I think he could be really effective there.

Jackson on 16:51 - Mar 13 with 559 viewsTieDyedIn95

Jackson on 16:46 - Mar 13 by Herbivore

I think it could work. Lambert tried it twice and seemed to instruct Jackson to get chalk on his boots. Let him play as more of an inside forward and I think he could be really effective there.

He's just not very good. You can talk the guy up all day but at his best he wasn't that great for us (11 goals?) and he's now miles off that. We will need a better forward than Jackson next season if we really have any ambition to go up. He's played close to 100 games for us now surely and barely scraped 15-20 goals in that time. Hardly the mark of a great player, especially given he's nearly 30.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Jackson on 17:03 - Mar 13 with 536 viewsnshearman1

Jackson on 16:51 - Mar 13 by TieDyedIn95

He's just not very good. You can talk the guy up all day but at his best he wasn't that great for us (11 goals?) and he's now miles off that. We will need a better forward than Jackson next season if we really have any ambition to go up. He's played close to 100 games for us now surely and barely scraped 15-20 goals in that time. Hardly the mark of a great player, especially given he's nearly 30.

Agreed. I fear Herb has got dazzled by the way he runs prettily in the channels but none of our strikers strike enough - this is League One - as we saw again today, and his passing when in very good positions is pretty woeful. Let's put it generously down to rustiness and pray at least some of these strikers are replaced by better in the summer. Because I don't think Cook is likely to change his system.
Jackson on 17:09 - Mar 13 with 526 viewsKeaneish

Jackson on 16:51 - Mar 13 by TieDyedIn95

Nah. I’m with Herbs on this one. The reason Jackson’s goal count is so low is for the reasons discussed in this thread, one of his favourite runs is to spin out into channels. As a two, this is fine, he bags lots of assists doing this, as a one he needs runners to hit the box, which we’ve just not had enough of.

Jackson is a good footballer, just not as a lone striker as a lone striker has to be a danger in the 18-yard area, not outside it. I’d love to see Jackson play as an inside forward on the right, Norwood through the middle and someone like Ronan Curtis on the left.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Jackson on 17:10 - Mar 13 with 526 viewsHerbivore

Jackson on 17:03 - Mar 13 by nshearman1

Agreed. I fear Herb has got dazzled by the way he runs prettily in the channels but none of our strikers strike enough - this is League One - as we saw again today, and his passing when in very good positions is pretty woeful. Let's put it generously down to rustiness and pray at least some of these strikers are replaced by better in the summer. Because I don't think Cook is likely to change his system.

You could have just said you didn't watch the game, Nick.

Jackson on 17:18 - Mar 13 with 508 viewsnshearman1

Jackson on 17:10 - Mar 13 by Herbivore

You could have just said you didn't watch the game, Nick.

Hahahaha!
Jackson on 17:23 - Mar 13 with 500 viewsjayessess

Thought he was decent, considering it was the first time he'd started in months. Lots of good runs into the channels, actually held the ball up well when it was feasible to do so, good movement for a couple of chances.

He's also officially the only Ipswich player to actually make a good decision in the penalty area (the pull back for Judge) in about a month of football.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Jackson on 17:27 - Mar 13 with 495 viewsMillsey

Absolutely very average player
Login to get fewer ads

Jackson on 21:59 - Mar 13 with 441 viewsSamWhiteUK

He was helped hugely by the PA defence not realising the game had started for the first 15 minutes
Jackson on 22:56 - Mar 13 with 427 viewsArnieM

Problem is Jackson isn’t a lone striker is he....needs a strike partner IMo.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Jackson on 23:07 - Mar 13 with 422 viewscatch74

Jackson on 17:09 - Mar 13 by Keaneish

Nah. I’m with Herbs on this one. The reason Jackson’s goal count is so low is for the reasons discussed in this thread, one of his favourite runs is to spin out into channels. As a two, this is fine, he bags lots of assists doing this, as a one he needs runners to hit the box, which we’ve just not had enough of.

Jackson is a good footballer, just not as a lone striker as a lone striker has to be a danger in the 18-yard area, not outside it. I’d love to see Jackson play as an inside forward on the right, Norwood through the middle and someone like Ronan Curtis on the left.

Thought he looked better whilst we were on the front foot - first twenty minutes. When we weren’t dictating then he still had some good moments and his pace frightens defences. If he’d not been in the U23’s and been up to speed you’d want to think he’d have scored his 1 on 1.
What he doesn’t do is make sure the defenders know they’ve been in a game, he doesn’t always use his pace to get back and recover possession (that’s more from an opinion from his abject performance under Lambert, when played on the right) and I just don’t think he chases down defenders relentlessly enough - like prime Norwood.
If you’ve got a team like Bournemouth looking at your player, you should be keeping hold of him and using his strengths in league 1. See also Dobra and Woolfenden - no criticism of Cook, he’s only just arrived.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024