Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
is it the coaching ? 10:28 - Apr 14 with 1239 viewsHARRY10

Young players break into the first team, then seem to stall

Are they being played above their abilities, or just not being progressed ?
is it the coaching ? on 12:18 - Apr 14 with 264 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

is it the coaching ? on 12:16 - Apr 14 by jayessess

The point is just that taking a 15-year-old is a roll of the dice and losing a handful of good ones over the course of half a decade isn't really a significant impediment to producing first team players.

Kids' vary enormously and who knows, Knight might have thrived in a smaller academy, but in general City's academy produces far more elite footballers than ours does.

Yes I get the point. Some make it, some don't.

Personally, I'd much prefer it if they stayed at ITFC and we had the chance to try to develop them (as per Dyer etc).

....I don't blame the players for leaving however, such a big opportunity for them on the face of it.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

is it the coaching ? on 12:32 - Apr 14 with 244 viewsChurchman

is it the coaching ? on 12:17 - Apr 14 by jayessess

The point is just that taking a 15-year-old is a roll of the dice and losing a handful of good ones over the course of half a decade isn't really a significant impediment to producing first team players.

Kids vary enormously and who knows, Knight might have thrived in a smaller academy, but in general you're far more likely to become an elite footballer at City's academy.

You just can’t tell with young players. The classic was Dean Bowditch. At 14, 15 he looked a real prospect. At 17 I saw him score a hat trick against Watford. What a player, thought I. What followed was a career in the lower leagues. On the flip side, Ian Wright became a professional really late and what a career he had. I guess it just shows how hard it is to make it as a professional footballer and how hard it is to find good ones.

This only highlights the neglect at Ipswich. Little scouting, no domination of the local area, little presence. Keeping costs down the only true objective. If the football club had wanted a Cat One Academy enough, it would have got it. I hope the approach now changes in just about every aspect of the club.
is it the coaching ? on 12:48 - Apr 14 with 222 viewssouthnorfolkblue

is it the coaching ? on 10:31 - Apr 14 by reusersfreekicks

The latter i reckon. Coaching at first team level must have been cack under PL.

That’s a bit harsh on Lambert. Plenty of youngsters have over the years started like a house on fire only to disappear. I’m thinking Bowditch, Billy Clarke, Danny Haynes to name but 3.

Poll: Our final position

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024