Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The ESL stinks as a concept but the Premier League has been doing 17:28 - Apr 19 with 1001 viewsBluedandy

something similar to the rest of English football for years.

Most clubs in the Championship and below are a catastrophic financial mess because of the repugnant commercial self-interest of the TV created Frankensteins in the top flight.

To hear pundits outraged by the ESL simultaneously get all teary-eyed about the beauty of the domestic game's trickle down economics is laughable.

When it comes to naked Darwinian greed it's clear the ESL has evolved directly from the loins of the absurdly hallowed Premier League.

The ESL stinks as a concept but the Premier League has been doing on 17:34 - Apr 19 with 961 viewshype313

Whilst I think the whole thing stinks, I don't shed any tears for UEFA or FIFA. Two of the most corrupt organisations in the history of sport. Fk them. They’ve allowed this into the game. They failed to enforce FFP, they failed to get a grip on disgraceful schedules, they gave the World Cup to a country using slave labour to build their stadiums. They have no moral high ground on this.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The ESL stinks as a concept but the Premier League has been doing on 17:44 - Apr 19 with 943 viewsMattinLondon

Yes and no. Fundamentally, through sheer luck or excellent transfer judgement a team can rise from the almost the bottom of L2 to the PL. And a team can do a Portsmouth etc.

The ESL may well share the PL’s desire for greed but that is where the similarities end.
The ESL stinks as a concept but the Premier League has been doing on 17:54 - Apr 19 with 917 viewsTheBoyBlue

I know where you're coming from, but it is still possible for clubs to climb and fall down the pyramid. Clubs like Bournemouth can climb from the bottom to the top of the ladder and clubs like Bolton the other way. Heck, for a while, Arsenal looked like they could be in for a relegation battle. Now they want to be assured of staying at the top table no matter what? At least it is still ultimately decided by what happens on the pitch, even if that is far too heavily influenced by money.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

The ESL stinks as a concept but the Premier League has been doing on 19:03 - Apr 19 with 823 viewsSwansea_Blue

That's a fair point. THE EPL has effectively pulled up the ladder behind them due to the massive disparity in finances. It is possible to buck the trend of course and make it without the help of parachute payments (Sheff Utd this year), but very difficult.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The ESL stinks as a concept but the Premier League has been doing on 19:24 - Apr 19 with 788 viewsHighgateBlue

I agree with this completely. The creation of the Premier League was a big step-change, and so was the reorganisation of the Champions League so that it's not for Champions any more - it's for the few biggest and richest clubs in each major league. These have just creamed all the money to the wealthiest clubs at everyone else's expense.

The weirdest thing is that many of these clubs don't make profits. Profits at football clubs haven't grown exponentially in most cases, but player wages have (most obviously in the Prem). That is one really big change that I must say I didn't see coming when the Prem was first set up. Owners will pay whatever it takes to chase their dream, and fans will unfortunately pay whatever it takes to chase theirs...
The ESL stinks as a concept but the Premier League has been doing on 19:38 - Apr 19 with 767 viewspointofblue

Interestingly Jamie Carragher just made a similar point to Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish - asking if it’s all self service because the Premier League were so reluctant to help the EFL during the pandemic. The host then threw the supermarket/corner shop comment at him.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024