Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oi Lagos 09:03 - May 7 with 709 viewsCoastalblue

Odd question for you.

Was working the other night and stopped for a while outside a Nigerian restaurant, not sure I've ever knowingly eaten Nigerian. What's the food like? Wndering about paying it a visit once some normality returns, I do like to try the different nationality restaurants.

I could Google it of course, but thought I'd get a straight up answer if I asked you.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Oi Lagos on 09:44 - May 7 with 658 viewsbluelagos

Very spicy and not for the feint hearted :-)

My favourites.

Suya as a starter. Goat or beef that has been bbqd to the point where it's black. Nice with onion and tomato.

Jolof rice is a must. Dodo (Fried plantain) and chicken.

Pepper soup. If you're brave, ask for it hot.

One to avoid - draw soup. A bowl of snot, that looks like snot, has the consistency of snot and tastes sh1t.

Couple of Nigerian words will go down well. So when they take your order simply say "Eshayo" - thankyou.

Enjoy.

[Post edited 7 May 2021 9:55]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Oi Lagos on 18:03 - May 7 with 573 viewsCoastalblue

Oi Lagos on 09:44 - May 7 by bluelagos

My favourites.

Suya as a starter. Goat or beef that has been bbqd to the point where it's black. Nice with onion and tomato.

One to avoid - draw soup. A bowl of snot, that looks like snot, has the consistency of snot and tastes sh1t.

Couple of Nigerian words will go down well. So when they take your order simply say "Eshayo" - thankyou.

Enjoy.

Thanks for that, I'm partial to a bit of spice, within reason and so think I will give it a go when the world allows me to.

Didn't think about Jolof, used to get chicken and jolof from a street food guy that used to deliver where I worked, really liked it.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Oi Lagos on 18:09 - May 7 with 556 viewsbluelagos

Oi Lagos on 18:03 - May 7 by Coastalblue

Thanks for that, I'm partial to a bit of spice, within reason and so think I will give it a go when the world allows me to.

Didn't think about Jolof, used to get chicken and jolof from a street food guy that used to deliver where I worked, really liked it.

So fish pepper soup is the ultimate challenge. I never ssw a European finish a whole bowl in Nigeria. The pepper is basically chilli.

Best I did was about 3/4 of a bowl. My eyes were stinging with sweat and I lost the ability to feel my lips about 1/2 way through. I was just trowing it in my mouth as I had no feeling left.

Proper hardcore. Would guess they'd struggle to make it that hot in the UK tbh.

Where was the restaurant you are thinking of? There's a few I know in London but not been for years.

Oi Lagos on 18:09 - May 7 with 555 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Oi Lagos on 18:03 - May 7 by Coastalblue

From listening to the Off Menu podcast I gather there’s a rather heated debate around Nigerian v Ghanaian jolof rice, so if the one you got before was the latter you might find the Nigerian version a bit different!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Oi Lagos (n/t) on 18:10 - May 7 with 554 viewsPerublue

My mate was married to a Nigerian,,,jelof and bone crunching.chewing seemed to be a regular thing.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 18:13]

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

Oi Lagos on 18:11 - May 7 with 550 viewsbluelagos

Oi Lagos on 18:09 - May 7 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

From listening to the Off Menu podcast I gather there’s a rather heated debate around Nigerian v Ghanaian jolof rice, so if the one you got before was the latter you might find the Nigerian version a bit different!

There is no debate, Nigerian Jolof is better. Same for the Suya.

:-)

Oi Lagos on 18:14 - May 7 with 533 viewsbluelagos

Oi Lagos on 18:09 - May 7 by bluelagos

So fish pepper soup is the ultimate challenge. I never ssw a European finish a whole bowl in Nigeria. The pepper is basically chilli.

Best I did was about 3/4 of a bowl. My eyes were stinging with sweat and I lost the ability to feel my lips about 1/2 way through. I was just trowing it in my mouth as I had no feeling left.

Proper hardcore. Would guess they'd struggle to make it that hot in the UK tbh.

Where was the restaurant you are thinking of? There's a few I know in London but not been for years.

I love the fact that Nigerians claim pepper soup is medicinal. Is much the same as a hot curry I guess in that respect.

https://www.demandafrica.com/food/pepper-soup-nigerian-soup-for-the-soul/

Oi Lagos on 18:15 - May 7 with 531 viewsGeoffSentence

Oi Lagos on 09:44 - May 7 by bluelagos

My favourites.

Enjoy.

Dodo? Didn't think you could get them anymore.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

Oi Lagos on 18:18 - May 7 with 518 viewsbluelagos

Oi Lagos on 18:15 - May 7 by GeoffSentence

Dodo? Didn't think you could get them anymore.

It's when they offer you "Bush meat" that you run a mile.

When I left my first job there, they sacrificed a goat for me - and we all had some Suya. Then they presented me with the "pendulum" - the goat's gonads so called cos they swing in the wind. Was quite nice tbf.

Oi Lagos on 18:22 - May 7 with 504 viewsGeoffSentence

Oi Lagos on 18:18 - May 7 by bluelagos

It's when they offer you "Bush meat" that you run a mile.

When I left my first job there, they sacrificed a goat for me - and we all had some Suya. Then they presented me with the "pendulum" - the goat's gonads so called cos they swing in the wind. Was quite nice tbf.

I've heard it's the bollox.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Oi Lagos on 18:29 - May 7 with 499 viewsSwansea_Blue

Oi Lagos on 18:22 - May 7 by GeoffSentence

I've heard it's the bollox.

badum tish (can't be bothered to look for the monkey gif)

I was quite partial to some of the bush meat I've had on a few visits to Kenya and Tanzania. Not so keen on the state of the butchers. Some of them needed to work on their food hygiene rating.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024