Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... 17:35 - May 26 with 3143 viewsbluesym

Fa cup winners 78 and UEFA Cup winners 81....what was the most enjoyable for you?

Poll: Is Micheal Mcintyre actually funny?

Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 22:42 - May 26 with 505 viewsnorth_stand77

FA Cup for me, especially after being cheated at Stamford Bridge 74-75 season.

In those days, to be able to buy tickets for the later rounds of the cup, you had to show that you had ticket stubs from a number of previous games from that season. Then queue up with literally thousands of others, sometimes overnight.

The build up to the final was unbelievable, blue and white everywhere in all the shops in town. Going to Wembly was the best footballing day of my life!
Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 23:01 - May 26 with 485 viewsVic

FA cup was sheer excitement but the UEFA cup was tinged with relief because we’d done so well but looked like coming up short. So it was sheer relief when we one.

For that reason I’d say FA cup.

Mind you days like being Barcelona, Madrid, Lazio all rank high up there in my memory because they really were the bigepgest teams 8n Europe at the time and we were s going toe to toe and coming out on top.

TWTD

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 23:03 - May 26 with 485 viewsChurchman

Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 22:38 - May 26 by JimmyJazz

FA Cup for me too - as mentioned the UEFA cup was a 'well at least we got something' prize, although very worthy achievement

Maybe it was youthful enthusiasm, but I just didn't see us as underdogs in the FA cup final. Sure they had SuperMac, Brady and other household names, but to me our players were all household names as well.

Surprised it took us so long to score, a 3-0 win and we wouldn't have heard the underdog tag so much. Makes it sound like another Sunderland v Leeds or Southampton v Man Utd.

The league position said we were underdogs, but the reality was that we were closer than that. The previous season we’d finished above Arsenal and I was at Highbury when we absolutely murdered them 4-1. We beat them first game of the 77/78 season and I was again at Highbury to see us lose narrowly 1-0 over the Christmas period.

For various reasons our league form was poor but the first team was a very good side. I was more fearful of WBA than Arsenal. I thought they were taylor made for us.

As a postscript, years later around 2000, my company used to run financial services events all round the country. Some were sponsored by Axa who were sponsoring the FA Cup at the time. They brought the original (there are three) and attendees could have their picture taken with it for £5 or £10 for charity. Queues all day. When we were all done, the Axa people asked us if we’d like a pic with it. Oh yes! The first thing I did was run a thumb over Ipswich Town 1978, before hoisting it up. I have the pic somewhere but what a buzz I got from that. Sad and silly, I know, but I did and so did the others that held it.
Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 00:15 - May 27 with 456 views3_5_2

UEFA final for me.

FA Cup very close second but my mates and I had 5 days on the lash leading up to the final, spent mainly in Amsterdam which was brilliant. Great weather, everywhere you went there were town fans and just a prefect tour.

I had the pleasure of cycling with Terry Butcher with the itfc fund raiser to Amsterdam and back 5 years ago, spent about an hour just the two of us cycling along chatting. He filled in the gaps for me on what was a simply amazing time.

I feel very lucky to have seen us win things and hopefully we will have success again soon !

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 05:40 - May 27 with 435 viewsbluesym

Interesting reading everyone's thoughts on this,cheers!

For the record, the FA Cup is the one that I'm most pleased we won,although obviously not old enough to experience winning it! I just like the FA Cup as a tournament,even now Its the only competition I'm interested in really. Still carries magic for me,even though it has been undervalued in recent times- semi finals at Wembley,that sort of thing.

Poll: Is Micheal Mcintyre actually funny?

Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 19:18 - May 27 with 349 viewsoldburian

Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 05:40 - May 27 by bluesym

Interesting reading everyone's thoughts on this,cheers!

For the record, the FA Cup is the one that I'm most pleased we won,although obviously not old enough to experience winning it! I just like the FA Cup as a tournament,even now Its the only competition I'm interested in really. Still carries magic for me,even though it has been undervalued in recent times- semi finals at Wembley,that sort of thing.

Have watched them all from the fifties and the FA Cup has to be the best experience.

I also remember another final in the 70's. I believe it was the Southern Junior Floodlight Cup and we met Spurs in the final. We were leading 2 - 1 after the first leg away and Spurs included someone called Glen Hoddle in the second leg. David Geddes gave away a penalty in the dying seconds of the first half, got booked and then sent off just after we restarted. Down to ten men it looked bleak but John Wark, looking very angry, took the game, and Hoddle, by the scruff of the neck and we won 4 - 1. He was so good that night totally unplayable, we all knew then what a player he would become.
Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 19:26 - May 27 with 344 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 21:00 - May 26 by Matterhorn

Definitely the fa cup for me, at that time it was the biggest club game in the world, most places were deserted while it was on & the feeling of walking back up the old Wembley way back to the station after winning it will never leave me, also the only time I ever saw my old dad cry in my life! Amsterdam was a close second tho,I really thought the trophy’s would keep coming after that, now I doubt I’ll see another!

Villarreal just won the same competition (albeit a watered down version) last night. A smaller club than Town historically. Anything is possible with people making the right investment and decisions.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024