Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... 17:35 - May 26 with 3159 viewsbluesym

Fa cup winners 78 and UEFA Cup winners 81....what was the most enjoyable for you?

Poll: Is Micheal Mcintyre actually funny?

Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 17:41 - May 26 with 2620 viewstrncbluearmy

Both brilliant, both won when it meant something to win those trophies impossible to seperate

but for me that Texaco Cup win at carrot rd with thousands of Town fans invading their pitch and celebrating, for a 13 year old watching from the main stand (since set light to) was the start of an adventure that has lasted a lifetime
Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 17:44 - May 26 with 2602 viewsmikeybloo88

The Cup was the best for me... the day itself has never been surpassed by any other football occasion. Some of the European nights were truly magnificent though, but the final itself being over two legs just wasn't as special as winning a one off game.
Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 17:52 - May 26 with 2579 viewsxrayspecs

I would go for UEFA Cup as it was on the European stage and against higher calibre opponents. We dominated St Ettiene, who were at the time one of the best teams in Europe and Cologne were highly rated as well. There were tough trips to Salonika and Prague to navigate too.
Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 17:57 - May 26 with 2561 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Both were great achievments.
The FA Cup was won when our league form was not very good that season and we were the underdogs, if i remember correctly, we were thumped 6-1 or something the week before the final.
The UEFA Cup was really a thank feck for that after having been magnificent for large spells only to have a very congested fixture list scupper our chances of winning the league and FA Cup as well.
Probably the FA Cup for me, but a close choice nontheless.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 18:10 - May 26 with 2527 viewsbluefunk

For me the FA Cup, because when we won it it was still a major National event, one of the few televised games and because of that Cup Final day was very very special. It was the first major trophy I had seen us win, a single event ( which was better than a 2 leg final IMO) and put simply, we had a great day out and a trophy to celebrate and later that year that year, I got to hold the FA Cup trophy (and so did half of Ipswich I suspect) which just added to it.

Honourable mention to the Texaco Cup final at Carrow Road though, as previously mentioned by trncbluearmy, that was the first trophy I had seen us win, so a special night also.
Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 18:12 - May 26 with 2521 viewsFtnfwest

The FA Cup because in those days winning it was an experience from another world away from what it would be now. Would be fantastic now of course, but then that match was the biggest annual game in the world bar none.
Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 18:15 - May 26 with 2493 viewsFixed_It

FA Cup. The build up of excitement in the weeks/days leading up to it, and then on the day itself. The whole occasion was magnificent, and then a fantastic performance and victory. And then the journey homr, and the celebrations afterwatds on the Cornhill.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 18:18 - May 26 with 2478 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 18:12 - May 26 by Ftnfwest

The FA Cup because in those days winning it was an experience from another world away from what it would be now. Would be fantastic now of course, but then that match was the biggest annual game in the world bar none.

Indeed.
You had to be in the final to play at Wembley Stadium, unlike now. The FA Cup rounds were well supported as well, some great days out travelling to a lot of different grounds. TWTD.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Login to get fewer ads

Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 18:22 - May 26 with 2463 viewsronnyd

F.A. Cup for me. Remember my mate cacking himself when Wembley started to bounce, (literally) after Roger scored. Also, Malcolm McDonald applauding us Town fans at the end. Theirs were sh!t. So many memories.
Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 18:24 - May 26 with 2451 viewsDinDjarin

My first match at 6 yrs old was the FA Cup final as my dad won 2 tickets. Cant remember much about it though.

At 8/9 yrs old I went to all the home uefa games and can remember them all clear as day standing on my milk crate at the back of churchmans....
[Post edited 26 May 2021 18:28]
Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 18:26 - May 26 with 2444 viewsfloridablue

Lucky enough to be at both finals, plus the Texaco Cup win at Carrot Rd. Celebrating on their pitch with the players and Bobby and Cyril is a fabulous memory for me. Winning the cup at Wembley just about edges it.
Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 18:39 - May 26 with 2399 viewsFtnfwest

Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 18:24 - May 26 by DinDjarin

My first match at 6 yrs old was the FA Cup final as my dad won 2 tickets. Cant remember much about it though.

At 8/9 yrs old I went to all the home uefa games and can remember them all clear as day standing on my milk crate at the back of churchmans....

Went to the quarter and the semi but couldn’t get final tickets!
Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 18:42 - May 26 with 2391 viewsLancsBlue

Winning a European trophy aged 19 in Amsterdam. It doesn't get much better than that!

Poll: If you watch Town less often than in the past, what is the main reason?

Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 18:47 - May 26 with 2366 viewsSwansea_Blue

Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 18:24 - May 26 by DinDjarin

TWTD. My crate was blue, but I think there were a few grey ones around. We always used to get there early to get a spot at one of the railings/bars to lean on. Bloody uncomfortable they were but at least I didn't have to worry about falling of me crate. We were normally about half way between the goal and the touchline and about halfway up the stand.

My abiding memory from that time is watching Burley go up and down that side of the pitch like a thing going up and down a lot. I only have vivid memories of when we were attacking the north stand. For some reason I don't remember it when we used to attack the Churchmans. Odd.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 19:21 - May 26 with 2275 viewsEpiphone

For me it’s definitely the FA Cup final,it was seen as a far more prestigious tournament in those days and it seemed to make up (partly) for the disappointment of being cheated out of appearing in the final three years earlier.The Semi-final against WBA also has to go down as one of the most exciting and enjoyable games too.

The UEFA cup win was great but as previously said it was something of a consolation prize at the end of a “so close but so far” treble possibility.
(No subject) (n/t) on 19:29 - May 26 with 2254 viewsFixed_It

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 19:39 - May 26 with 2224 viewschopra777

The UEFA Cup was well ahead of the FACup for me. Having been to many Town UEFA matches home and away since the early 70s. A European trophy was massive. Having missed the home 1st Leg due to Royal Navy commitments, I just had to go to Amsterdam. Attended the FA Cup final, but we were lucky with the draw throughout. Also witnessed the mini riot at Millwall where our fans were pelted with rocks in the stand. The European journey that year was better due to the caliber of the teams we had to beat. Also the UEFA team was superior to the Cup side.

Poll: With promotion 99% guaranteed this weekend who should give a speech after 90 min

Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 20:35 - May 26 with 2160 viewslongtimefan

FA cup all the way for me. As others have said, in those days it was THE match that everyone watched. I went to both legs of the UEFA final and for me, again as someone else said, the two legged nature detracts in some way, particularly since we lost the away match.
Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 20:41 - May 26 with 2145 viewsblueislander

Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 20:35 - May 26 by longtimefan

FA cup all the way for me. As others have said, in those days it was THE match that everyone watched. I went to both legs of the UEFA final and for me, again as someone else said, the two legged nature detracts in some way, particularly since we lost the away match.

Obviously the Cup Final was fantastic, but in some way the semi at Highbury was even better, having been cheated out of the 1975 semi final replay
Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 20:47 - May 26 with 2126 viewsChurchman

Undoubtably 1978. It’d been a long journey. We’d been mighty good for about 6 seasons and had gone close to the league title and more importantly for supporters (that’s how it was in those days) the FA Cup. I saw a good number of the 1975 games when we’d beaten the two teams worth playing, Liverpool and Leeds. To lose to a decent but inferior team like West Ham was awful. We ran out of players and energy. Had we got past them, we’d have beaten Fulham.

The 1978 run was strange in that I never felt we’d lose. I didn’t go to Bristol Rovers away or Cardiff, but I saw the rest. The joy of Wark’s killer goal at Highbury was redemption, relief, ecstasy. We went totally bananas. The final was just a dream. Unreal. Everything from the pre match stuff, abide with me, to the teams coming out and the game. We played so well in the first half. Pride was the main feeling.

We carried on second half. I couldn’t believe how good we were. When the goal went in, I knew we’d got it. Euphoria. When the cup was lifted the sun was shining off it and I could hardly see it. What a day.

The 1980/81 team was far better. The best team I saw represent the club by a distance. But the truth is, the UEFA cup was a consolation prize. A meagre reward for a side that deserved to win the lot. I was pleased they got something but was disappointed.

The biggest prize of the lot was the League Championship, but that needs older Posters to comment on.
[Post edited 27 May 2021 6:37]
Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 21:00 - May 26 with 2099 viewsMatterhorn

Definitely the fa cup for me, at that time it was the biggest club game in the world, most places were deserted while it was on & the feeling of walking back up the old Wembley way back to the station after winning it will never leave me, also the only time I ever saw my old dad cry in my life! Amsterdam was a close second tho,I really thought the trophy’s would keep coming after that, now I doubt I’ll see another!
Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 21:56 - May 26 with 1993 viewsBasingstokeBlue

FA Cup

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 22:04 - May 26 with 1983 viewsPendejo

FA Cup for the manner of victory, 1-0 but we hammered them, winner scored by a Suffolk born player

Or

UEFA Cup, for the quality of opposition faced on the way, the destruction of St. Etienne Platini et al

Has to be FA Cup I guess as it came at end of what has been an uncharacteristically poor season, whereas "just" winning UEFA Cup was a consolation prize.

Cooper, Burley, Mills, Talbot, Hunter, Beattie, Osbourne, Wark, Mariner, Geddes, Woods
V
Cooper, Mills, McCall, Thijssen, Osman, Butcher, Wark, Muhren, Mariner, Brazil, Gates

That Robson fella...

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 22:19 - May 26 with 1949 viewsOldsmoker

I saw both on the TV. The FA Cup was a given - it's always broadcast but the UEFA Cup was a special because an English team was involved. We were already 3-0 up and were clear favourites and because we'd missed out on the league title and FA cup I felt we were owed this.

So, for me it was the FA cup.
We were the clear underdogs.
As the game evolved I realised that we were the better side and we could win it. The friends I watched it with all supported different team - Liverpool, Wrexham, Port Vale, Middlesboro' - so were anti-London.
They were all rooting for Town by half-time and Wark twice hitting the post in the second half only added to the tension. When we scored the room erupted with cheers. Great day and a good bonding experience too.

The UEFA Cup was different as I had my own place and watched it on my own as my girlfriend hated football. It was basically over when Thyssen scored the first - they now needed 5 to win it. I remember getting rattled as they kept scoring goals 'cos they must have known it was pointless so why bother. Relief at the end rather than celebration.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Question for the,ahem,older generation of Town fan who remembers... on 22:38 - May 26 with 1904 viewsJimmyJazz

FA Cup for me too - as mentioned the UEFA cup was a 'well at least we got something' prize, although very worthy achievement

Maybe it was youthful enthusiasm, but I just didn't see us as underdogs in the FA cup final. Sure they had SuperMac, Brady and other household names, but to me our players were all household names as well.

Surprised it took us so long to score, a 3-0 win and we wouldn't have heard the underdog tag so much. Makes it sound like another Sunderland v Leeds or Southampton v Man Utd.

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024