Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thoughts on England prospects; it was Croatia 21:56 - Jun 13 with 1411 viewsunstableblue

I looked at the Croatia midfield at kick-off and thought that’s Real Madrid, Chelsea and Inter Milan starters against West Ham and Leeds!!

Also Croatia d!cked us last time out.

But we just tore into them in the first 15.

And critically we beat them over 90mins, in 31c conditions that don’t suit English players.

I actually thought our full backs were our weakest players despite our embarrassment of riches in that department. But in every other position we looked strong.

Mings, Philips, Foden and Sterling came out of the game with serious plaudits.

So what are our prospects….. I’m quite bullish as I think we’ll only grow. Kane and the full backs weren’t firing and still we beat a good team. I also think Rice can do more.

But for me Foden is world class, more from Mount and Kane to come, and perhaps the tournament where Sterling delivers real results.

Not yet seen the performance to suggest we can beat France and Belgium but that opening energy and quality is very encouraging.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Thoughts on England prospects; it was Croatia on 21:58 - Jun 13 with 1374 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Win the group and knocked about France or Portugal or Germany in the next round in a tight affair

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Thoughts on England prospects; it was Croatia on 22:02 - Jun 13 with 1333 viewsMetal_Hacker

Think I watched a different game

I’d go as far to say , we were alright

We can play a lot better but we can’t afford passengers if people think we’re truly going to win it

Poll: If it were one or the other

Thoughts on England prospects; it was Croatia on 22:18 - Jun 13 with 1227 viewsFtnfwest

Played well I thought and well enough to deserve to win. Can’t help feeling if it was the other way round and an ageing England team had been away to a Croatian team at their peak they probably would have destroyed us. There were a lot of points in the game when we could have moved or passed forward into space for team mates but kept doubling back and as with tournaments gone by we look far too pedestrian, but in fairness the heat had a big part to play. But who knows, we have a chance as well as a number of other teams and certainly have the attacking players.
Thoughts on England prospects; it was Croatia on 22:20 - Jun 13 with 1215 viewsxrayspecs

Thoughts on England prospects; it was Croatia on 22:02 - Jun 13 by Metal_Hacker

Think I watched a different game

I’d go as far to say , we were alright

We can play a lot better but we can’t afford passengers if people think we’re truly going to win it

Tend to agree.

Thought we were bright in first 15-20 mins. Lots of energy, pushed Croatia back, created chances and unlucky not to be ahead.

After that, the goal aside, not much between the teams. Croatia created some half decent chances especially in the second half of the first period, but were very wasteful. Our chances were not much better and Sterling goal aside, we did not look convincing.

I thought we looked lightweight up front. Kane did not get much service, a number of times when we could have got a cross in, we checked back. From my position, high in the upper tier, Mount did not look as though he did much. Foden and Sterling were lively. I also think Mings and Stones have mistakes in them that better teams will punish.

The positive is three points as it gives us a good platform for the coming games. Opening games are often very cagey so the win is significant. That said, if we harbour serious ambitions of winning the tournament, then we will need to be a lot better.

7/10.
Thoughts on England prospects; it was Croatia on 22:21 - Jun 13 with 1205 viewsrickw

We got the win against a decent Croatia team, but as others have said - win the group and likely have France, Portugal of if not Germany in the second round

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Thoughts on England prospects; it was Croatia on 22:23 - Jun 13 with 1184 viewstortoise

I thought we did a good professional job. Not amazing, but never really looked worried my them. I love Foden, but thought he was actually a bit quiet overall. Sterling has a great record for England. He gets some stick for missing the odd easy chance but he is very reliable. Not really seen much of that Calvin Phillips before, but he was great.

As the for the whole thing. I guess we’re now favourites to win the group, so a difficult game beckons in the last 16…
Thoughts on England prospects; it was Croatia on 22:34 - Jun 13 with 1117 viewscressi

Thoughts on England prospects; it was Croatia on 22:23 - Jun 13 by tortoise

I thought we did a good professional job. Not amazing, but never really looked worried my them. I love Foden, but thought he was actually a bit quiet overall. Sterling has a great record for England. He gets some stick for missing the odd easy chance but he is very reliable. Not really seen much of that Calvin Phillips before, but he was great.

As the for the whole thing. I guess we’re now favourites to win the group, so a difficult game beckons in the last 16…

Personally I thought keeper and centre backs did OK protected by two holding midfielders, full backs OK defending but poor distribution.
Thought Mount, Forden and Sterling did OK without setting the world alight
Kane one of his poorer games sluggish and came deep far to often.
Will be far tougher games than a ageing Croatia
Thoughts on England prospects; it was Croatia on 08:56 - Jun 14 with 656 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Have you seen Belgium's defence!?

They even brought Vermalen on!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024