Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are supermarkets really running out of food? 13:19 - Jul 22 with 6153 viewsIllinoisblue

How bad is it in Ipswich? Or is this just media hype?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Are supermarkets really running out of food? on 12:04 - Jul 24 with 412 viewsGlasgowBlue

Are supermarkets really running out of food? on 09:12 - Jul 24 by WeWereZombies

Yeah but I live in the Inner Hebrides...anyway, no one has bettered twenty one miles yet, not even Ryorry, bunch of lightweights. But I think I'll move to somewhere fifty miles from a supermarket just to make sure that I win the thread.

When I lived in Portsonachan on Loch Awe between 1993-96, the nearest supermarket was in Oban which is 31 miles away.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Are supermarkets really running out of food? on 12:41 - Jul 24 with 379 viewsRyorry

Are supermarkets really running out of food? on 09:34 - Jul 24 by WeWereZombies

My twenty one miles away supermarket is a large (ish) Co-op. There is an even bigger one in Stornoway, which actually is the Outer Hebrides. This running out of crisps and such like is a weird one, isn't it? There actually are plenty of fresh fruit, vegetables, bread and milk in our shops but crap food - gone in a shot.

Anyway, I have three dark chocolate Co-op choc ices left in freezer and I think I shall move them to the safe for added security...

Out of interest, can you get any deliveries at all at all to your shepherd's hut in the wuthering wilds - how far from a tarmac road are you? Or do you have to go to your nearest pick-up point? And how much actually are the premium delivery charges for Highlands & Islands - super-exorbitant, or just exorbinant?!

For mainland England, Wales & lowland Scotland, I don't think it actually makes much difference whether people are 5 miles or 21 miles from their nearest supermarket anyway if they don't drive & there's little or no public transport, which is often the case. I've asked both Sains & Waitrose a few times which store my home delivery has come from, & it's always the same one (17 miles away for Sains, even tho there are two others nearer only 12 & 15 miles away respectively). Presumably they have a set system of allocation by biggest store/warehouse, and/or postcode. So the limiter is how many supermarket "names" there are in a large rural area (6 in this area of about 200 sq miles, with 18 stores between them).
[Post edited 24 Jul 2021 12:45]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Are supermarkets really running out of food? on 13:12 - Jul 24 with 357 viewsWeWereZombies

Are supermarkets really running out of food? on 12:04 - Jul 24 by GlasgowBlue

When I lived in Portsonachan on Loch Awe between 1993-96, the nearest supermarket was in Oban which is 31 miles away.

Oh well, Cape Wrath it is then...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Are supermarkets really running out of food? on 13:37 - Jul 24 with 347 viewsMJallday

Sainsbury’s in Hereford was looking pretty sparse on Thursday night, nothing in fresh food or frozen sections

I’m at my place in Pembrokeshire at the moment, It’s looking light on stuffhere too. Few idiots panic buying stuff but most people appear to be sensible

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Are supermarkets really running out of food? on 14:44 - Jul 24 with 310 viewsWeWereZombies

Are supermarkets really running out of food? on 12:41 - Jul 24 by Ryorry

Out of interest, can you get any deliveries at all at all to your shepherd's hut in the wuthering wilds - how far from a tarmac road are you? Or do you have to go to your nearest pick-up point? And how much actually are the premium delivery charges for Highlands & Islands - super-exorbitant, or just exorbinant?!

For mainland England, Wales & lowland Scotland, I don't think it actually makes much difference whether people are 5 miles or 21 miles from their nearest supermarket anyway if they don't drive & there's little or no public transport, which is often the case. I've asked both Sains & Waitrose a few times which store my home delivery has come from, & it's always the same one (17 miles away for Sains, even tho there are two others nearer only 12 & 15 miles away respectively). Presumably they have a set system of allocation by biggest store/warehouse, and/or postcode. So the limiter is how many supermarket "names" there are in a large rural area (6 in this area of about 200 sq miles, with 18 stores between them).
[Post edited 24 Jul 2021 12:45]

Well, OK, a couple of things first. I have tarmac on a public road right outside my gate and it's not a shepherd's hut (which would be called a bothy up here, and a shepherd would be a crofter) I live in. It's not even detached...unfortunately.

But to address the nub of your post - I wouldn't know. I've only had the online grocery shopping experience once and that was when I lived in Hertfordshire. Waitrose of course but even they supplied replacements instead of what we ordered on some items, so I am
confirmed 'go to a shop, check what's available, check what the ingredients are' shopper when it comes to food...or shoes. But I do notice the fleets of Tesco vans when I drive over to Dingwall and I know that you can make arrangements to go and pick up from them at village halls throughout the Highlands and Islands even where they do not make home deliveries. Asda also do home deliveries to Kyle of Lochalsh and to Broadford not too far into Skye over the bridge. But not Morrisons, and post lockdown I have a strange affinity for Morrisons, think it has something to do with that big open area of fruit and veg islands close to the entrance that they have in their superstores feeling more socially distanced than the dodge down the aisles you have to do elsewhere.

Are supermarkets really running out of food? on 14:48 - Jul 24 with 298 viewsSwansea_Blue

Are supermarkets really running out of food? on 09:34 - Jul 24 by WeWereZombies

My twenty one miles away supermarket is a large (ish) Co-op. There is an even bigger one in Stornoway, which actually is the Outer Hebrides. This running out of crisps and such like is a weird one, isn't it? There actually are plenty of fresh fruit, vegetables, bread and milk in our shops but crap food - gone in a shot.

Anyway, I have three dark chocolate Co-op choc ices left in freezer and I think I shall move them to the safe for added security...

I thinks it’s picnic and bbq stuff that seems to have taken a hammering where we’ve been in N Wales this last week. It rammed with tourists, so that makes sense. But then you don’t need bog rolls for a bbq, so god knows what’s going on. Loads of scousers around and they’re a funny bunch, so maybe that explains it.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Are supermarkets really running out of food? on 14:50 - Jul 24 with 293 viewsWeWereZombies

Are supermarkets really running out of food? on 14:48 - Jul 24 by Swansea_Blue

I thinks it’s picnic and bbq stuff that seems to have taken a hammering where we’ve been in N Wales this last week. It rammed with tourists, so that makes sense. But then you don’t need bog rolls for a bbq, so god knows what’s going on. Loads of scousers around and they’re a funny bunch, so maybe that explains it.

You've never tried flame grilled Izal with Ranch sauce?

Are supermarkets really running out of food? on 14:56 - Jul 24 with 282 viewsRyorry

Are supermarkets really running out of food? on 14:44 - Jul 24 by WeWereZombies

Well, OK, a couple of things first. I have tarmac on a public road right outside my gate and it's not a shepherd's hut (which would be called a bothy up here, and a shepherd would be a crofter) I live in. It's not even detached...unfortunately.

But to address the nub of your post - I wouldn't know. I've only had the online grocery shopping experience once and that was when I lived in Hertfordshire. Waitrose of course but even they supplied replacements instead of what we ordered on some items, so I am
confirmed 'go to a shop, check what's available, check what the ingredients are' shopper when it comes to food...or shoes. But I do notice the fleets of Tesco vans when I drive over to Dingwall and I know that you can make arrangements to go and pick up from them at village halls throughout the Highlands and Islands even where they do not make home deliveries. Asda also do home deliveries to Kyle of Lochalsh and to Broadford not too far into Skye over the bridge. But not Morrisons, and post lockdown I have a strange affinity for Morrisons, think it has something to do with that big open area of fruit and veg islands close to the entrance that they have in their superstores feeling more socially distanced than the dodge down the aisles you have to do elsewhere.

Well that's wrecked my romantic notion of you living in solitary splendour on misty moorland with only sheep for company!

Cracking arrangement re pick-ups being possible from village halls 👍

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024