Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is the Woolf good enough? 10:40 - Jul 28 with 2420 viewsThatIpswichMan

Seen a few people discussing this one, personally I'm not overly convinced.

Thoughts?
Is the Woolf good enough? on 12:12 - Jul 28 with 285 viewsMrTown

Is the Woolf good enough? on 11:43 - Jul 28 by Cheltenham_Blue

Not seeing any positive progress for a long time from our youth players breaking into the first team seems to have been a hallmark of ITFC throughout the last decade.

See also, Lankester, Dozzell, Bishop, Carson, Hyam, Emmanuel, Kenlock, Cotter, Folami and others.

Hopefully with the improvements in coaching now and the structure off field we are in a better position to develop our own players.

It has been an issue, at youth level you hear good things, but very few have transitioned well in to first team football - and Woolfenden is one that has actually backwards since his first season.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Is the Woolf good enough? on 12:12 - Jul 28 with 286 viewsSimonds92

Dont think he's good enough and I really dont understand the hype. Not dominant and positionally he might even be worse than Pennington and has no recovery pace. He is brave on the ball but i dont think he's particularly good on it. The same people who think he's fantastic thought Webster was replaceable. He could hit an inch perfect diagonal with his wrong foot but was a very good defender as well and was 18 months younger than LW. I dont think Woolfenden will be anywhere near as good and I'm really hoping he won't be first choice this season, we'll be too exposed if he is.
Is the Woolf good enough? on 12:13 - Jul 28 with 279 viewsSteve_M

Is the Woolf good enough? on 11:56 - Jul 28 by meekreech

Thought he was a little bit casual at times but he showed his game was on a learning curve .
He was more than capable of progressing and becoming a strong player whereas Nsiala has reached his limits. Nsiala is not good enough as a player to be relied on to bring woolfie along. It needs a player like de vos or Mowbray or butcher to bring him on.

Yep, Swindon at home stands out in particular for LW being all over the place and I do think coming back well at the end of the season reflects well on him, as it also did on McGuiness.

LW definitely has a much higher ceiling than Nsiala's ceiling, I'm not sure it's the Premier League as might have been the case when he broke through but it's higher than the top end of this division which is Toto's.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Is the Woolf good enough? on 12:22 - Jul 28 with 253 viewsGarv

Is the Woolf good enough? on 11:43 - Jul 28 by Cheltenham_Blue

Not seeing any positive progress for a long time from our youth players breaking into the first team seems to have been a hallmark of ITFC throughout the last decade.

See also, Lankester, Dozzell, Bishop, Carson, Hyam, Emmanuel, Kenlock, Cotter, Folami and others.

Hopefully with the improvements in coaching now and the structure off field we are in a better position to develop our own players.

Most of those I agree with.

Picking holes here but I don't think you can put Lankester in that bracket. Very harsh.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Is the Woolf good enough? on 12:28 - Jul 28 with 246 viewsBondiBlue

Is the Woolf good enough? on 12:12 - Jul 28 by Simonds92

Dont think he's good enough and I really dont understand the hype. Not dominant and positionally he might even be worse than Pennington and has no recovery pace. He is brave on the ball but i dont think he's particularly good on it. The same people who think he's fantastic thought Webster was replaceable. He could hit an inch perfect diagonal with his wrong foot but was a very good defender as well and was 18 months younger than LW. I dont think Woolfenden will be anywhere near as good and I'm really hoping he won't be first choice this season, we'll be too exposed if he is.

I don't think the problem is positional - i actually think he's pretty good at that side of it. So i don't think the earlier point about centre backs developing later really applies here. He's just not big enough or brave enough. He can lift some weights to get stronger but the bravery bit is in his head. Too comfortable a life growing up in sleepy suffolk maybe. Common problem with our recent batch it seems.

Poll: Which would you accept?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024