Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scott Fraser - out of position 09:17 - Aug 17 with 2403 viewsPassit2Gio

Both Chaplin and Barry struggled to get on the ball playing in the #10 behind the striker, yet Fraser, who is a natural 8 or 10 and who completed the most passes in the final third in England last year, has started both games out wide.

Why is Cook doing this? We have a stack of naturally wide players and surely Fraser was bought to play as a #10?

Scott Fraser - out of position on 09:18 - Aug 17 with 2379 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Good question.

Sign the best no 10 in the league and play them on the wing, Peak Ipswich

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Scott Fraser - out of position on 09:27 - Aug 17 with 2283 viewsWallingford_Boy

I think with Burns out, we were a little short of fit, wide players so made sense. His crossing was very good Saturday so did a good job.

Agree that Barry looked way off it though, so imagine he will go there once Burns is back.

Edwards has the wide left spot nailed.

RIP Sir Bobby

Scott Fraser - out of position on 09:36 - Aug 17 with 2225 viewsNazemariner

It appears to me that the three offensive players behind the striker have the freedom to roam, so in effect any one of them could find themselves in the number 10 position at any given time. A good example of that is when Chaplin set up Fraser againts Morcambe. Chaplin had moved to the inside left position, and Fraser arrived from the deeper cenral position.
Scott Fraser - out of position on 09:37 - Aug 17 with 2213 viewsPassit2Gio

Scott Fraser - out of position on 09:27 - Aug 17 by Wallingford_Boy

I think with Burns out, we were a little short of fit, wide players so made sense. His crossing was very good Saturday so did a good job.

Agree that Barry looked way off it though, so imagine he will go there once Burns is back.

Edwards has the wide left spot nailed.

I can see your point, however, the opening game Chaplin arguably is more natural out wide than Fraser on either side (played majority of his Barnsley career wide left) and Barry does his best work cutting in from the left.

Would love to hear Cook’s rationale why he’s doing this tactically.
Scott Fraser - out of position on 09:38 - Aug 17 with 2200 viewsITFC_Jenx

Couldn't agree more.

Fraser had the most successful dribbles in L1 on Saturday, 9. He will link.up the midfield with the line striker better at 10.

Cook's system works best when the wingers and full backs can get in behind. Don't think that is naturally Fraser's game. The one time be did that on Saturday he didn't pull back to a waiting Barry and wasted a great chance.
Scott Fraser - out of position on 09:41 - Aug 17 with 2185 viewsAsa

With Edwards not signed and Barry just signed and then Burns and Chaplin both out it’s been a case of Cook simply making the most of what we had available.

I saw a stat somewhere that Fraser had more dribbles at the weekend that any other League One player. Which is indicative of the fact he can do a job there.

Also as Cook said, teams will defend against us and the player in that role can struggle to be as effective. So it’s no bad thing being able to potentially move a more creative player into an area he can hurt people.

When we have Edwards and Chaplin available or Barry and Burns you would expect Fraser to play in the role he’s best at. For now, can totally see why he’d try and utilise his ability to pick a pass from areas he can do that when we still had gaps in the squad.

As for Morecambe, I think Cook has seen something in their set up that made sense to switch. As someone else mentioned it was pretty interchangeable. Same with Burton. Playing Barry at AMC and Fraser at LM / FW seems strange and I’m sure it’s not escaped Cook they both prefer the other position. So clearly we are identifying things we feel we can exploit.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2021 9:47]
Scott Fraser - out of position on 09:43 - Aug 17 with 2168 viewsPassit2Gio

Scott Fraser - out of position on 09:36 - Aug 17 by Nazemariner

It appears to me that the three offensive players behind the striker have the freedom to roam, so in effect any one of them could find themselves in the number 10 position at any given time. A good example of that is when Chaplin set up Fraser againts Morcambe. Chaplin had moved to the inside left position, and Fraser arrived from the deeper cenral position.

Check out Fraser’s heatmap versus Burton. Almost all down the left and doesn’t look too fluid to me.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1553954/Live/England-League-One-2021-2022-Burt
Scott Fraser - out of position on 09:50 - Aug 17 with 2080 viewsPassit2Gio

Scott Fraser - out of position on 09:41 - Aug 17 by Asa

With Edwards not signed and Barry just signed and then Burns and Chaplin both out it’s been a case of Cook simply making the most of what we had available.

I saw a stat somewhere that Fraser had more dribbles at the weekend that any other League One player. Which is indicative of the fact he can do a job there.

Also as Cook said, teams will defend against us and the player in that role can struggle to be as effective. So it’s no bad thing being able to potentially move a more creative player into an area he can hurt people.

When we have Edwards and Chaplin available or Barry and Burns you would expect Fraser to play in the role he’s best at. For now, can totally see why he’d try and utilise his ability to pick a pass from areas he can do that when we still had gaps in the squad.

As for Morecambe, I think Cook has seen something in their set up that made sense to switch. As someone else mentioned it was pretty interchangeable. Same with Burton. Playing Barry at AMC and Fraser at LM / FW seems strange and I’m sure it’s not escaped Cook they both prefer the other position. So clearly we are identifying things we feel we can exploit.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2021 9:47]

He can “do a job out there”, sure, but he was the best #10 in the league last year by a distance.

It’s similar to playing Bruno Fernandes out on the left and Dan James (Barry) in the hole. Here’s hoping this changes with Edwards doing damage on the left, Dobra causing chaos down the right and Fraser linking the midfield to the striker (Pigott - who can’t get a touch of the ball currently) tonight.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2021 9:51]
Login to get fewer ads

Scott Fraser - out of position on 09:53 - Aug 17 with 2041 viewsWallingford_Boy

Scott Fraser - out of position on 09:43 - Aug 17 by Passit2Gio

Check out Fraser’s heatmap versus Burton. Almost all down the left and doesn’t look too fluid to me.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1553954/Live/England-League-One-2021-2022-Burt

All down the right you mean?

They also have Dobra and Fraser the wrong way around in the line up.

RIP Sir Bobby

Scott Fraser - out of position on 09:56 - Aug 17 with 2009 viewschicoazul

Probably due to fitness and availability of others. Edwards I think will have the left side locked down so I hope Fraser will be able to move to the 10 role leaving Chaplin Burns Barry Dobs and Aluko to battle over the right side spot.
It’s funny, I was very happy when we got Chaplin but more and more it looks like he is going to struggle to get in the team.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Scott Fraser - out of position on 09:57 - Aug 17 with 1993 viewsPassit2Gio

Scott Fraser - out of position on 09:53 - Aug 17 by Wallingford_Boy

All down the right you mean?

They also have Dobra and Fraser the wrong way around in the line up.

Whoops yes - left and right mixed up! Dobra’s movement far more fluid than Fraser when operating out wide.
Scott Fraser - out of position on 10:00 - Aug 17 with 1975 viewsPassit2Gio

Scott Fraser - out of position on 09:56 - Aug 17 by chicoazul

Probably due to fitness and availability of others. Edwards I think will have the left side locked down so I hope Fraser will be able to move to the 10 role leaving Chaplin Burns Barry Dobs and Aluko to battle over the right side spot.
It’s funny, I was very happy when we got Chaplin but more and more it looks like he is going to struggle to get in the team.

Not bad squad depth for the right hand side! I really hope Dobra gets a loan move if his game time is limited as the kid has so much potential but just needs to improve his decision making which he will get with first team games.
Scott Fraser - out of position on 10:01 - Aug 17 with 1963 viewschicoazul

Scott Fraser - out of position on 10:00 - Aug 17 by Passit2Gio

Not bad squad depth for the right hand side! I really hope Dobra gets a loan move if his game time is limited as the kid has so much potential but just needs to improve his decision making which he will get with first team games.

He and Ndaba almost definitely out on loan by the end of the month.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Scott Fraser - out of position on 10:26 - Aug 17 with 1862 viewsITFCBlues

Scott Fraser - out of position on 09:18 - Aug 17 by BlueandTruesince82

Good question.

Sign the best no 10 in the league and play them on the wing, Peak Ipswich

Joe mentioned on the BM Pod this week that actually much of his work at MK was done on the left hand side and not actually central and that cooks system isn't actually out and out wingers but that he also plays more inside on the left.

He's also scored 1 goal in 2 games, which doesn't sound that bad to me?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Scott Fraser - out of position on 10:37 - Aug 17 with 1821 viewsGarv

Scott Fraser - out of position on 09:56 - Aug 17 by chicoazul

I think Chaplin could prove to be very good. I can only assume he wasn't fit for Morecambe because he wasn't in the game. But the one thing he did do was brilliant and seemed easy, and it led to our first equalizer.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Scott Fraser - out of position on 10:56 - Aug 17 with 1764 viewschicoazul

Scott Fraser - out of position on 10:37 - Aug 17 by Garv

I think Chaplin could prove to be very good. I can only assume he wasn't fit for Morecambe because he wasn't in the game. But the one thing he did do was brilliant and seemed easy, and it led to our first equalizer.

He’s a very good player but I struggle to see where he fits unless Cook sees him as a possible 9.
I suppose cook will be sharing the games out but if we don’t move thru at least one of the cups then that could mean nobody gets more than 30 or so games in that forward line.

Scott Fraser - out of position on 11:03 - Aug 17 with 1726 viewsITFCBlues

Scott Fraser - out of position on 10:56 - Aug 17 by chicoazul

He’s a very good player but I struggle to see where he fits unless Cook sees him as a possible 9.
I suppose cook will be sharing the games out but if we don’t move thru at least one of the cups then that could mean nobody gets more than 30 or so games in that forward line.

What's the struggle, he played as a 10 against Morecambe?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Scott Fraser - out of position on 11:40 - Aug 17 with 1616 viewsChurchman

Scott Fraser - out of position on 09:50 - Aug 17 by Passit2Gio

He can “do a job out there”, sure, but he was the best #10 in the league last year by a distance.

It’s similar to playing Bruno Fernandes out on the left and Dan James (Barry) in the hole. Here’s hoping this changes with Edwards doing damage on the left, Dobra causing chaos down the right and Fraser linking the midfield to the striker (Pigott - who can’t get a touch of the ball currently) tonight.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2021 9:51]

I do like it when players are played in their best positions. I’ve never been a fan of people being shoved in to ‘do a job’, unless it’s an emergency situation, yet so many managers do it.

I can’t think of many true utility players over the years. Stockwell is one that leaps to mind and Wark could play Centre Half as was so admirably proved in Lyall’s team. But beyond that?

Alf Ramsey had a system and brought in players to fit the system here and for England. I know it’s 60 years ago, but I like the principle.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024