Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I've had a Brexit result! 15:51 - Aug 18 with 4817 viewsLord_Lucan

Just got clearance and VAT bill in for a container that's just docked.

Now we have left the EU there is no duty with China (our goods are normally 6.5%)

This will save us around £20k a year

I had no idea this has happened.

Also, we normally have to pay VAT on entry which is an average of £20k a container. I know we get it back but it really screws the cash flow, especially if we have all four containers in one quarter.

Now though they have introduced a PVA (Postponed Vat Accounting) where you simply defer the VAT until your VAT return when you claim it back at the same time thus it's zero.

The PVA thing is an absolutely massive boost for importers.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I've had a Brexit result! on 19:58 - Aug 18 with 2064 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I've had a Brexit result! on 19:53 - Aug 18 by garygboltonblue

No probs , it would it good to have a pint with you sometime

Wine?
[Post edited 18 Aug 2021 20:25]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

I've had a Brexit result! on 20:42 - Aug 18 with 2032 viewsLord_Lucan

I've had a Brexit result! on 19:53 - Aug 18 by garygboltonblue

No probs , it would it good to have a pint with you sometime

Let's make it happen Gazza!

I did a film shoot many years ago in Bolton. It was for some film set back a few hundred years ago and they filmed it in Bolton because your Town Hall looks very old. I had to take a few mirror carp up there, put them in a big bucket and they placed them in a makeshift market and then some actor lifted one out of the water to inspect it.

Would have been around 1986, can't remember how much I got paid but I'm thinking about £500. Cheers BBC!

Around the same time I had to go to my mate Southend's wedding reception in Bolton. We called him Southend because he was from Southend.

He was the master of The Peanut Competition. The Peanut Competition is typically done in a pub and it starts with one of us being bored and then shouting out "Peanut Competition".

It goes like this. After the peanut announcement anyone who wants to participate goes to the centre stage of the pub. The precipitants whack a handful of peanuts into their mouths and start to munch. After a few seconds the peanuts are deposited onto the next participants hand and they then put those peanuts into their mouth and chew. This goes on until the last person drops out and a winner is declared. The end peanut sample by then is usually a load of slobber. Southend was an expert at this and had the annoying capability when it was looking like a stalemate of being able to muster up a throat bogey into the mixture.

These in house competitions were quite well accepted by fellow pubbers in the 80's but lost their appeal in the 90's when pubs started to get decorated and attracted a more standard type of customer.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

I've had a Brexit result! on 22:02 - Aug 18 with 1986 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I've had a Brexit result! on 17:06 - Aug 18 by Lord_Lucan

Well actually it won't make anything cheaper in the short to medium term because we are in the middle of a global shipping crisis.

Normal goods freight per container $2,500 - current price $18,000

Our goods (hazardous) normally $9,000 - current price $31,500

You think that there are empty shelves because of Covid and Brexit? That maybe the case for some things but a lot of it is that; A/ it's impossible to import low value goods, no one will pay £20 for a small plant pot, and B;/ It's impossible to get space on the vessels, we (and everyone else in our trade) are only getting 25% of what we ordered. There is no vessel space and there is a massive shortage of empty containers to ship in as there a millions stuck in ports around the world full of PPE - which will soon be out of date.

Wow. I didn't realise that. Makes sense as you explain it, but wasn't aware. Thanks for explaining.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

I've had a Brexit result! on 22:04 - Aug 18 with 1977 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I've had a Brexit result! on 20:42 - Aug 18 by Lord_Lucan

I did a film shoot many years ago in Bolton. It was for some film set back a few hundred years ago and they filmed it in Bolton because your Town Hall looks very old. I had to take a few mirror carp up there, put them in a big bucket and they placed them in a makeshift market and then some actor lifted one out of the water to inspect it.

Would have been around 1986, can't remember how much I got paid but I'm thinking about £500. Cheers BBC!

Around the same time I had to go to my mate Southend's wedding reception in Bolton. We called him Southend because he was from Southend.

He was the master of The Peanut Competition. The Peanut Competition is typically done in a pub and it starts with one of us being bored and then shouting out "Peanut Competition".

It goes like this. After the peanut announcement anyone who wants to participate goes to the centre stage of the pub. The precipitants whack a handful of peanuts into their mouths and start to munch. After a few seconds the peanuts are deposited onto the next participants hand and they then put those peanuts into their mouth and chew. This goes on until the last person drops out and a winner is declared. The end peanut sample by then is usually a load of slobber. Southend was an expert at this and had the annoying capability when it was looking like a stalemate of being able to muster up a throat bogey into the mixture.

These in house competitions were quite well accepted by fellow pubbers in the 80's but lost their appeal in the 90's when pubs started to get decorated and attracted a more standard type of customer.

Wow. Learnt something else new now as well. Although I would have preferred not to have learnt this one at all.

I've had a Brexit result! on 22:08 - Aug 18 with 1968 viewsCoastalblue

I've had a Brexit result! on 20:42 - Aug 18 by Lord_Lucan

Sounds a bit like pass the boilie. A boiled sweet is sucked for a while and then removed from the mouth and something nasty done to it/on it, then passed on to the next contestant to suck for a while and then treat.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

I've had a Brexit result! on 22:13 - Aug 18 with 1959 viewsITFCBlues

The only thing to screw us all over now is the complete lack of haulage!! Having to book Deliveries now ex Southampton almost as soon as the vessels depart at origin! Its nuts!

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

I've had a Brexit result! on 22:28 - Aug 18 with 1926 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

I've had a Brexit result! on 22:08 - Aug 18 by Coastalblue

Sounds a bit like pass the boilie. A boiled sweet is sucked for a while and then removed from the mouth and something nasty done to it/on it, then passed on to the next contestant to suck for a while and then treat.

1980's pub challenges were the dogs danglies.

The more pissed we got the worse the challenges got.

Knocking 10 pence pieces off the bar stool with your dick was a particular favourite, though for some reason, big John always won at that.

TWTD.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

I've had a Brexit result! on 22:52 - Aug 18 with 1901 viewsLord_Lucan

I've had a Brexit result! on 22:02 - Aug 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

Wow. I didn't realise that. Makes sense as you explain it, but wasn't aware. Thanks for explaining.

It's crazy NSF

It's a bloody bloodbath out there! Everyone is outbidding freight prices. Containers are getting loaded in warehouses and shipped to Shanghai - and then being turned back because they have been gazumped.

Felixstowe - absolute shower of sh1te.

So, we finally have a container landed today (hurrah), the others are stuck in China and we won't see them until November / December (The goods were ordered last October!)

It get's worse. Felixstowe is currently the only port in UK that will accept our goods (Class 1) but they are so useless that before Shanghai agreed to ship we had to pay a $5,100 deposit in case Felixstowe couldn't handle it and it had to be unloaded in Antwerp (then we would have had to try and get them trucked to UK and the robbing bastards Goldstar are charging £12,000 for this!

And then - very worryingly, we had to sign a declaration to accept that we would pay another $31,500 should neither Felixstowe or Antwerp be able to handle it and it had to go back to Shanghai!

Shipping companies seem to be in the pockets of gangsters these days, straight up, there are some very dodgy people controlling all of this

One of our competitors supplies all the superstores and because they are only getting 30% of their stock in they have cancelled all the independent stores orders. The small guys are fecked, Tesco's are nothing but brutal.

I'm not trying to be Billy Big B0llocks, I'm really not, but I have been telling anyone who would listen for the past 8 months that everything will go to sh1t.

I could go on and on about this, I deal with it on a daily basis. Many companies are going to go bust because they can't get their stock. We are a tin pot company in the scale of things, we are exhibiting at a trade fair next month that has cost us £10k and we don't want new customers as we haven't got enough for existing customers. It's £10k down the pan!

Lucan Top Tip - if you want a Buzz Lightyear for Christmas then buy it now - because there will be nothing on the shelves.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2021 22:54]

Login to get fewer ads

I've had a Brexit result! on 23:00 - Aug 18 with 1892 viewsLord_Lucan

I've had a Brexit result! on 22:13 - Aug 18 by ITFCBlues

The only thing to screw us all over now is the complete lack of haulage!! Having to book Deliveries now ex Southampton almost as soon as the vessels depart at origin! Its nuts!

We prefer our stuff going to Soton but they won't accept class 1. We are now going to get charged about £1,500 to get a container delivered from Felixstowe to Dorset!

Our freight agents are Soton company and they are very good, if you need any help with haulage send me a PM

I've had a Brexit result! on 14:09 - Aug 19 with 1724 viewsChiefXL

I've had a Brexit result! on 22:52 - Aug 18 by Lord_Lucan

It's crazy NSF

It's a bloody bloodbath out there! Everyone is outbidding freight prices. Containers are getting loaded in warehouses and shipped to Shanghai - and then being turned back because they have been gazumped.

Felixstowe - absolute shower of sh1te.

So, we finally have a container landed today (hurrah), the others are stuck in China and we won't see them until November / December (The goods were ordered last October!)

It get's worse. Felixstowe is currently the only port in UK that will accept our goods (Class 1) but they are so useless that before Shanghai agreed to ship we had to pay a $5,100 deposit in case Felixstowe couldn't handle it and it had to be unloaded in Antwerp (then we would have had to try and get them trucked to UK and the robbing bastards Goldstar are charging £12,000 for this!

And then - very worryingly, we had to sign a declaration to accept that we would pay another $31,500 should neither Felixstowe or Antwerp be able to handle it and it had to go back to Shanghai!

Shipping companies seem to be in the pockets of gangsters these days, straight up, there are some very dodgy people controlling all of this

One of our competitors supplies all the superstores and because they are only getting 30% of their stock in they have cancelled all the independent stores orders. The small guys are fecked, Tesco's are nothing but brutal.

I'm not trying to be Billy Big B0llocks, I'm really not, but I have been telling anyone who would listen for the past 8 months that everything will go to sh1t.

I could go on and on about this, I deal with it on a daily basis. Many companies are going to go bust because they can't get their stock. We are a tin pot company in the scale of things, we are exhibiting at a trade fair next month that has cost us £10k and we don't want new customers as we haven't got enough for existing customers. It's £10k down the pan!

Lucan Top Tip - if you want a Buzz Lightyear for Christmas then buy it now - because there will be nothing on the shelves.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2021 22:54]

Shipping companies are in the pockets of gangsters?
How so?
I've had a Brexit result! on 14:17 - Aug 19 with 1714 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bit of background to the shipping container crisis that LL refers to - https://businessofhome.com/articles/why-experts-say-the-shipping-crisis-won-t-en

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I've had a Brexit result! on 14:24 - Aug 19 with 1704 viewsKieran_Knows

We get the one way shipping containers at work which come across from China with a load in then, emptied at Felixstowe then the Containers sold on. The price has doubled, if not more in the last 18 months and the demand for them is through the roof. We're a tiny portable office/container company in the scheme of things and it's just mad out there.

Have heard from several people that basically the companies in China building the containers are basically saying to companies 'if you give us a tidy backhander, we'll build your containers quicker/first'.

Madness in this industry at the minute.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

I've had a Brexit result! on 14:55 - Aug 19 with 1669 viewsLord_Lucan

I've had a Brexit result! on 14:09 - Aug 19 by ChiefXL

Shipping companies are in the pockets of gangsters?
How so?

I can't speak for other industries but for our industry all containers going through Shanghai are controlled by one man (Mr Tan) and he sets the price.

I've had a Brexit result! on 00:12 - Aug 20 with 1580 viewsChiefXL

I've had a Brexit result! on 14:55 - Aug 19 by Lord_Lucan

I can't speak for other industries but for our industry all containers going through Shanghai are controlled by one man (Mr Tan) and he sets the price.

Oh you mean the Freight Index?
I've had a Brexit result! on 22:08 - Aug 20 with 1443 viewsLord_Lucan

I've had a Brexit result! on 00:12 - Aug 20 by ChiefXL

Oh you mean the Freight Index?

No, I mean a bloke who has control

I've had a Brexit result! on 22:18 - Aug 20 with 1436 viewsLord_Lucan

I've had a Brexit result! on 16:44 - Aug 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

Apols for misunderstanding. It is the use of the term "Brexit result" that confused me.

A bit worn out from arguing most of the day with a Covid conspiracy theorist.

EDIT: I also missed the duty bit and thought that was the same argument.

Great for you that the duty has been removed. I guess it will be part of some new agreement. It will make Chinese imports even cheaper and reduce treasury income, though.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2021 16:47]

I forgot to reply to this.

So on the face of it you are bemoaning the loss of treasury income from duty we previously imposed on Chinese goods - hooever, and I'll take an educated guess.

If after Brexit we had seen no trade deal and we would have had to put duty charges on all EU imports. would you have said

A/ That's great for the treasury ....or

B/ Look at what they are doing, we are all paying more for our goods. This is a nightmare, I told you this would happen!
[Post edited 20 Aug 2021 22:23]

I've had a Brexit result! on 22:27 - Aug 20 with 1423 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I've had a Brexit result! on 22:18 - Aug 20 by Lord_Lucan

I forgot to reply to this.

So on the face of it you are bemoaning the loss of treasury income from duty we previously imposed on Chinese goods - hooever, and I'll take an educated guess.

If after Brexit we had seen no trade deal and we would have had to put duty charges on all EU imports. would you have said

A/ That's great for the treasury ....or

B/ Look at what they are doing, we are all paying more for our goods. This is a nightmare, I told you this would happen!
[Post edited 20 Aug 2021 22:23]

Fair point.

I think what I am saying is that the terms of the deal sound more favourable for China as a net exporter and that does not surprise me.

However, your more general point that a remainer like me will put a negative spin on it and a leaver will put a positive spin on it. That is a fair point.

I've had a Brexit result! on 10:43 - Aug 21 with 1335 viewsChiefXL

I've had a Brexit result! on 22:08 - Aug 20 by Lord_Lucan

No, I mean a bloke who has control

There isn't a bloke who has control?
I've had a Brexit result! on 11:31 - Aug 21 with 1312 viewsLord_Lucan

I've had a Brexit result! on 10:43 - Aug 21 by ChiefXL

There isn't a bloke who has control?

Are you in shipping Chiefy?

I just spoke with my man in China, he says that Mr Ding holds all the sway. (Not Mr Tan, I got that wrong). Mr Ding owns Huayang Logistics and he controls the game.

I am talking industry specific here but the only vessels who will touch class 1 are Cosco, I was told Hapag would but that seems a dead end. Anyway, all class 1 slots have been booked up in advance without customers - thus controlling the price. I am only relaying what I am told.

There are no customers because all goods are part finished and haven't even gone through CIQ yet because Chinese government put a production ban from June 19 to September 1st.

Edit; It seems Mr Dings sister company Firstrans International Co is subject to a shipping price fixing law suit in California for class 1 goods.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2021 12:04]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024