Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid 06:33 - Aug 19 with 3037 viewsurbanblue

... the state and federal leaders are going mad.

Where I live in NSW we are now going into the third week of a hard state lockdown. Where I live has had no cases for months and the nearest cases are a good few hundred kms away. The border with Queensland is an hours drive from here and the military has been called in to man the border. Anyone, who wishes to travel has to be an essential worker, apply for a permit, and be vaccinated with at least one jab.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-19/covid-19-qld-nsw-border-troops-essential-

To travel to Western Australia, within our own country, we now need to apply for a permit and ...

1. Negative test

2. Be vaccinated

3. Complete 14 days Quarantine paid for in a Hotel.

4. Have a tracking App so the Government can moniter your whereabouts thereafter.

https://thewest.com.au/news/coronavirus/mark-mcgowan-press-conference-nsw-arriva

Not to be undone Daniel Andrews has locked down Victoria for 40 odd cases, imposed a curfew and in a stunning example of madness ruled that anyone drinking outside is not
permitted to take off their mask to do so

I know many would say that if I don't like what's going on I can always leave, but actually I can't because no one is allowed to leave the country without special permission and hasn't been allowed to since this all started. That's I think a rule relevant to Australia and North Korea.

Some of you may think this is all reasonable and I know many of you were envious of Australia's handling of the Pandemic. Me I'm now dreading where we are going from here ... Zero Covid has been the mantra for a good while and they seem to think the Vaccine will do that which of course it won't. I fear how much our lives will be changed in a big way forever in pursuit of something that is impossible

Sorry, just needed to share ....
[Post edited 19 Aug 2021 6:39]
Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 13:55 - Aug 19 with 547 viewsurbanblue

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 08:30 - Aug 19 by michaeldownunder

Here in North Brisbane, masks are the norm and to me I don't find it that much of a problem to wear one when out shopping/ work etc.

I feel that if you have had both the jabs you should be allowed to travel inside Australia, this might make more people have the jabs.

Ok we don't like the lock down rules, soft and hard, but it is what it is

Fair enough although where you are has been so unaffected so far that masks are the only thing that has really changed in your life. Melbourne has now had 200 days of lockdown so far. I'm sure if you had a business going under or kids home all that time away from their friends and school you would be finding things harder.

As a matter of interest how do you feel about Anastacia opening the border to the vaccinated and then you getting lots of cases? What do you think Janette Young will do?
Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 13:59 - Aug 19 with 543 viewsurbanblue

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 12:02 - Aug 19 by IPS_wich

Yes and no

In years to come the Australia and NZ model of lockdown will be shown to the most effective way of minimising deaths. It has been a resounding success right up to the point one state premier (NSW) decided that trying to lock down suburbs rather than the whole city was a plausible response. The actions of the NsW politicians were as brain dead as the Tories handling of the pandemic in the UK.

The flip side is that the federal governments handling of the vaccine roll out will be the case study for failure - as opposed to the Tories who have handled the vaccination part of things really well.

If you could combine Australia’s handling of the pandemic with the UKs handling of the vaccine you’d have the model response.

For what it’s worth, over here in Western Australia where there has been virtually no cases and four short sharp lock downs (3-5 days) when there’s a single case in the community - we’ve lived 95% of the last 18 months completely normally apart from no overseas travel. Frustrating to some extent, but it’s allowed most of us to realise we live in one of the most incredible and diverse places in the world - so it’s not as though we haven’t had holidays. The current state government were recently elected in a landslide so I think most are pretty happy over this side of the continent.

What would you like Mark McGowan to do when you get cases after vaccination levels are reached and the borders open (If they ever do to WA)?
Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 14:02 - Aug 19 with 542 viewsurbanblue

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 12:16 - Aug 19 by Guthrum

Worth pointing out that Aus and NZ were more fortunate than some places in the strain of Covid which first arrived there and how early it was detected.

But the reaction was a lot quicker, yes.

The initial reaction was excellent. Suppression was the plan but then the messaging went haywire and suddenly it's Zero Covid.
Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 14:17 - Aug 19 with 516 viewsIPS_wich

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 13:59 - Aug 19 by urbanblue

What would you like Mark McGowan to do when you get cases after vaccination levels are reached and the borders open (If they ever do to WA)?

I think that’s when opinion will change - all of the messaging within the state is to get vaccinated because that’s when things can change - if they don’t open up the borders (not just internal but international) then some people will turn - including me because my parents are missing their grandkids grow up.

Let’s not forget that at the moment it’s all politicking - the NsW government and federal government are Liberal governments, at the moment with NSW and the feds stuffing things up then the Labor premiers (WA, Vic and Queensland) are collectively piling in to score points.
Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 14:29 - Aug 19 with 501 viewsurbanblue

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 14:17 - Aug 19 by IPS_wich

I think that’s when opinion will change - all of the messaging within the state is to get vaccinated because that’s when things can change - if they don’t open up the borders (not just internal but international) then some people will turn - including me because my parents are missing their grandkids grow up.

Let’s not forget that at the moment it’s all politicking - the NsW government and federal government are Liberal governments, at the moment with NSW and the feds stuffing things up then the Labor premiers (WA, Vic and Queensland) are collectively piling in to score points.

Oh yes, without doubt the political point scoring is absolutely ridiculous, especially between NSW and Victoria at the moment. Gladys got away with an LGA lockdown last time but of course that wasn't Delta.

I can respect your reasons for liking McGowans' handling of this so far but do worry that when you get the inevitable outbreak, even with high vaccination levels, his lockdown will exceed anything we have seen so far. He has far too much power with no opposition at all.

With you on the family thing. I am honestly now wondering whether I will see my Mum, who's in her 80's again ... Horrible thought eh!
Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 14:43 - Aug 19 with 491 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 08:48 - Aug 19 by ElderGrizzly

And they've locked down for one case (it's now 15) because only 20% of the adult population is vaccinated.

Back to my earlier point, Delta to the unvaccinated is a significant problem and they aren't going to chance it.

Keep it out as much as possible, vaccinate as many as possible, open up. In the UK we failed to do the earlier part which is why we have 150,000 dead.

The policies that have led to 150,000 dead should at least have the silver lining that there is plenty of room for 20,000 Afghan immigrants!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

[Redacted] on 14:55 - Aug 19 with 477 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 14:58 - Aug 19 with 469 viewsIPS_wich

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 14:29 - Aug 19 by urbanblue

Oh yes, without doubt the political point scoring is absolutely ridiculous, especially between NSW and Victoria at the moment. Gladys got away with an LGA lockdown last time but of course that wasn't Delta.

I can respect your reasons for liking McGowans' handling of this so far but do worry that when you get the inevitable outbreak, even with high vaccination levels, his lockdown will exceed anything we have seen so far. He has far too much power with no opposition at all.

With you on the family thing. I am honestly now wondering whether I will see my Mum, who's in her 80's again ... Horrible thought eh!

On your last point - it’s awful. My Dad is mid-70s and a couple of months ago had a cancer scare. The thought of never seeing him again hit me so hard.

I should have said this earlier, but everyone (politicians aside) over here in WA are keeping everything crossed for NSW - we hope things start to turn for the better quickly and you are in our thoughts.
Login to get fewer ads

[Redacted] on 15:07 - Aug 19 with 462 viewsvictorywilhappen

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 14:29 - Aug 19 by urbanblue

[Redacted]
Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 17:46 - Aug 19 with 406 viewsbluelagos

Meanwhile, in Australia ... Covid on 12:23 - Aug 19 by IPS_wich

Also worth pointing out that Australia and NZ have the advantage of being islands…oh!!

The UK imports something like 30% of our food. We may be an island but we are not an island that can simply cut itself off from the rest of the world in the way Aus/NZ can.

Not to say we have handled things well, but the Aus/NZ model wasn't something we could have adopted without causing food shortages.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024