Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
In my humble opinion... 12:53 - Aug 19 with 1042 viewsWhataday78

I think we still need a physical, experience centre half.

Someone that can thrive doing the ugly jobs like defend long throws...
In my humble opinion... on 13:04 - Aug 19 with 1010 viewsjayessess

Edmundson and Burgess are both very physical centre halves. Burgess won more headers than any other CB in L1 last season. Edmundson's absolutely huge. We've conceded one goal from a throw in, despite allowing Burton and Cheltenham a good 20 goes at it over the course of 2 games.

More big lads isn't the solution, dominating the ball and territory is. No matter how enormous and grizzled our centre backs are, we're not going to have a good season if every bottom half side gets 15 attempts at pumping a high ball into our penalty area.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2021 13:06]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

In my humble opinion... on 14:41 - Aug 19 with 913 viewsHighgateBlue

In my humble opinion... on 13:04 - Aug 19 by jayessess

Edmundson and Burgess are both very physical centre halves. Burgess won more headers than any other CB in L1 last season. Edmundson's absolutely huge. We've conceded one goal from a throw in, despite allowing Burton and Cheltenham a good 20 goes at it over the course of 2 games.

More big lads isn't the solution, dominating the ball and territory is. No matter how enormous and grizzled our centre backs are, we're not going to have a good season if every bottom half side gets 15 attempts at pumping a high ball into our penalty area.

I'd love to see George and Burgess together at the back. Wolfie generally looks extremely comfortable on the ball for a CB, but one has to consider what their day job is, and that's to keep goals out.

We've dominated the ball this season like almost never before. But unfortunately two defensive lapses can (and at the moment does) lead to 2 goals, and then we've lost the game. I'd like to see our two imposing CBs form a partnership and start to make us hard to score against. Y'know, like we actually were last season. Last season we conceded a goal a game in the league (less at home). This season we're running at double that. That's got to improve...
In my humble opinion... on 14:44 - Aug 19 with 904 viewspennblue

In my humble opinion... on 14:41 - Aug 19 by HighgateBlue

I'd love to see George and Burgess together at the back. Wolfie generally looks extremely comfortable on the ball for a CB, but one has to consider what their day job is, and that's to keep goals out.

We've dominated the ball this season like almost never before. But unfortunately two defensive lapses can (and at the moment does) lead to 2 goals, and then we've lost the game. I'd like to see our two imposing CBs form a partnership and start to make us hard to score against. Y'know, like we actually were last season. Last season we conceded a goal a game in the league (less at home). This season we're running at double that. That's got to improve...

Goodness, this is starting to resemble a sensible, rational, football related thread.

But I thought the new chap at CB did well, and possibly it is right back we need better cover now. KYC does not have the best injury record and he needs to be pushed for his 1st team place. Thought we got done down that right hand side the other night, but their left back was very good.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2021 14:46]

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

In my humble opinion... on 14:48 - Aug 19 with 886 viewswkj

I think we have exactly what we need in players - what we need is key players in their strongest roles as well as more flexibility in tactics.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

In my humble opinion... on 14:48 - Aug 19 with 887 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Indeed. I think the bigger issue here is the "allowing them a good 20 goes at it". I would love to see the actual stats as it felt like more than 20 for Cheltenham in that second half alone and every single one felt like it put us under real pressure (or cleared from their defence to our corner and wasted about 30 second to a minute).

I would love to see an analysis of:
How many throw-ins did they get?
How long did that take out of the game?
But most importantly how many of those they got were entirely preventable had we shown an approach that said don't put the ball out for a throw unless we have to.

The other big point to take from Tuesday is what did Cheltenham do to stop us getting the ball to our attacking players and how could we have countered that?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

In my humble opinion... on 14:50 - Aug 19 with 888 viewsitfcjoe

In my humble opinion... on 14:41 - Aug 19 by HighgateBlue

Whilst we have dominated the ball we have progressed it more slowly than any other team in the league, whilst there is an obvious point we are conceding too many goals - to me the majority of that is coming from organisation when we send the full backs forward.

That is the problem that needs to be fixed, the CMs have to cover better - Woolfie and Burgess will be good enough as a CB partnership, but I'd expect Edmundson to come in when he can - but don't think that will massively change things.

There needs to be more purpose in our possession - if you were to look at the possession stats and they key indicators on those, it would massively resemble Lambert ball at the moment, that has to change, and we have to hurt teams more

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

In my humble opinion... on 15:49 - Aug 19 with 773 viewsKeaneish

In my humble opinion... on 14:50 - Aug 19 by itfcjoe

Whilst we have dominated the ball we have progressed it more slowly than any other team in the league, whilst there is an obvious point we are conceding too many goals - to me the majority of that is coming from organisation when we send the full backs forward.

That is the problem that needs to be fixed, the CMs have to cover better - Woolfie and Burgess will be good enough as a CB partnership, but I'd expect Edmundson to come in when he can - but don't think that will massively change things.

There needs to be more purpose in our possession - if you were to look at the possession stats and they key indicators on those, it would massively resemble Lambert ball at the moment, that has to change, and we have to hurt teams more

At Burton, yes, not sure i agree in the other league games regarding full backs getting forward. I also reckon the stat about moving the ball slowly would massive have been increased against Cheltenham. Can't say i've noticed it too much in the other games.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

In my humble opinion... on 17:28 - Aug 19 with 628 viewsGarv

Another issue the other night, linked to your point, was that we didn't really have anyone able to make the ball stick up top. Neither Piggot nor Bonne are really that kind of player by the looks of it. Edwards did what he could but was always up against it.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

In my humble opinion... on 17:41 - Aug 19 with 590 viewsMetal_Hacker

In my humble opinion... on 17:28 - Aug 19 by Garv

Another issue the other night, linked to your point, was that we didn't really have anyone able to make the ball stick up top. Neither Piggot nor Bonne are really that kind of player by the looks of it. Edwards did what he could but was always up against it.

I thought Bonne held it up quite well , as best he could but lacked support quick enough from Fraser for instance

I keep saying it but the fundamental issue for me is now the set up of the starting XI but them understanding their roles and in particular the midfielders

If PC is expecting both FB's to push on either Harper of Evans has to sit to cover that area

I think we're getting raided too easily through our midfield area because both the above named players are also pushing on and leaving us exposed slightly

Poll: If it were one or the other

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024