Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vax for children 07:37 - Sep 14 with 2993 viewschrismakin

Genuine need of some thoughts regarding the vaccine.

My son is 14, seen that he will soon be eligible for the covid vaccine. Now. I'm double jabbed etc. But I mainly got it to.help protect others rather than just myself.

We are caught on what to do here.. leave it to him to decide as its his right to decide.. tell him we would if it was us. or tell him not to..

Genuinely caught in this minefield of various opinions on the Internet.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2021 7:41]

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Vax for children on 17:02 - Sep 14 with 313 viewsJohnWarksTash

Vax for children on 15:33 - Sep 14 by Lightworker

With respect I think you might need to calm down and perhaps read through some of this again because you appear to be getting into a bit of a muddle

I AM saying there is a slightly higher risk yes, I never denied this.

I acknowledged that the risk was still very low but nevertheless was higher than the risk of ICU admission from Covid.

This is the only part of the Mail article I quoted so the tangent you have gone off on regarding the JCVI is completely irrelevant. You seem to want to pick a fight with an anti-vaxxer but i'm afraid you have the wrong person. I am in favour of vaccines in general but that doesn't mean I ignore all data that contradicts my position. Maybe you should ask yourself if you are looking at things objectively or not.

With all due respect how can I be going off on a tangent regarding the JCVI when the Mail article is essentially lifted from the JCVI???

The Mail article has twisted and manipulated what was published to create outrage in their readers. Believe me I have a career built on being objective....my profession demands it. If you could provide the evidence that the risk of Covid is less than the risk of complications to such an extent that it precludes the use of a vaccine in 12 to 16 year olds then I would be very interested to see it. The very article that the Mail is quoting from states that their is a benefit (however small) of having the jab verses not having it.

I am glad you have had the jab, and I would encourage you to listen to the experts who are stating that their is a benefit for 12 to 16 years old in having it too...just like my kids....and the millions in the USA have had. Collective responsibility.
Vax for children on 17:05 - Sep 14 with 312 viewsLightworker

If you have a spare couple of hours this may assist you in your decision. BMJ webinar on this very subject. Probably best to listen to the experts rather than us lot rambling on here!

Vax for children on 17:23 - Sep 14 with 282 viewsEireannach_gorm

Vax for children on 13:22 - Sep 14 by JohnWarksTash

I do think the myocarditis story has been jumped on my anti vax people and is now being used as a lever to push their agenda somewhat. I just wish people would read the peer reviewed papers and not just cherry pick the bits that fit their own world view and then push it onto others. It's evil.

Makes me very cross to be honest.

Is there not an equal chance of getting Myocarditis if you do get Covid-19?
Vax for children on 18:25 - Sep 14 with 239 viewsborge

Vax for children on 16:40 - Sep 14 by Lightworker

I understand where you are coming from here but I have to disagree.

"There is limited value in adults being vaccinated if kids are simply going to perpetuate the spread of COVID and possibly with it the risk of significantly more dangerous variants"

There is no certainty that this will happen and it is not universally accepted by scientists that it will. In any case this does not seem to be one of the reasons put forward by the Government which seems to be based largely around Educational disruption and associated mental health effects.

This is also not taking into account that it is estimated that over 50% of School age Children have already had exposure to Covid and have already acquired natural immunity.

But my point isn't about their immunity...

Added to which, there is no certainty that it won't happen and based on experience to date, a reasonable possibility it will.

Hence why, when weighing up all of the possible risks I am still of the opinion that 12 to 15 year olds should get vaccinated for the benefit of the wider population. But I appreciate I will not change your mind.
Vax for children on 18:39 - Sep 14 with 229 viewsfactual_blue

Vax for children on 11:01 - Sep 14 by Lightworker

I suspect there will be many parents in your position right now. It's not a clear cut choice to make and anybody who comes down too hard either way is probably best avoided while trying to make your decision.

Personally I will be choosing not get this vaccine for my Child as I find the arguments for, to be somewhat weak. To have a child take a vaccine to potentially protect Adults when it offers little if any advantage to them does not really sit well with me. I would also question how much real world protection to others it will really provide when they are only taking one dose and the vaccines have been shown to have limited effectiveness in preventing transmission.

I also find the argument of reducing disruption in Schools to be questionable as there is no real evidence this will be the case and they don't seem t be factoring in the inevitable side effects, which although mostly mild are still likely to to involve a significant number of sick days for headaches, high temperature etc.

The medical / health case for giving this vaccine is not a strong one as the JCVI concluded. The overall risk to this age group from Covid is extremely low and the vast majority will have either mild or no symptoms. Long Covid has to be considered but again it does not seem to be significant in this age group. It is also worth considering that the risk of Myocarditis, while very low, is still higher than the risk of hospitalisation from Covid in this age group, particularly for boys.

The MRNA vaccines are also a brand new technology not used previously so long term effects are uncertain. This obviously applies to Adults as well as Children but the older you go up the age range the more the benefit/risk ratio swings in favor of taking it. I should add that there is no reason to suspect MRNA vaccines will have adverse long term effects but for me it is safer to wait where Children are concerned. .

It is ultimately up to you as parents and your Son to decide and I agree with Lagos that nobody should be vilified either way for the choice they make. It is not clear cut in the way that giving a Child a vaccine for Measles or Polio is and it does not make you an anti-vaxxer if you decide against.

You might get over-ruled.

Have a read about Gillick Competence.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024