Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting BBC article for the 'Yeah, but China' posters 08:13 - Sep 18 with 1606 viewsWeWereZombies

And also some food for thought for us 'Think global, act local' merchants:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58584976

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Interesting BBC article for the 'Yeah, but China' posters on 12:04 - Sep 18 with 411 viewsWeWereZombies

Interesting BBC article for the 'Yeah, but China' posters on 11:05 - Sep 18 by Guthrum

I would say at comparable stages in economic development (which for the UK was around the 1870s to 1914, insofar as a parallel can be drawn), that probably is true. Tho the problems of what we would now call pollution were being highlighted even then.

However, once the knowlege is out there and the technology to put it into practice, any ignorance-based excuse disappears. Especially when the serious consequences of continuing are so obvious.

It's not like the Chinese government lacks the ability to impose controls on its economy, like many Western ones have struggled with.

Oh dear, Guthers - from the BBC piece:

'Any action much[sic] be subtle, though, according to another long-standing independent campaigner, Cindy Baxter. She pointed out the President Xi had committed to strong action to curb coal power, but that provincial governments had ignored him.'

Interesting BBC article for the 'Yeah, but China' posters on 12:23 - Sep 18 with 392 viewsRyorry

Interesting BBC article for the 'Yeah, but China' posters on 09:27 - Sep 18 by DanTheMan

But as pointed out in the article, people living in the UK can do very little to influence Chinese policies.

We can try and get the Government to do it, and potentially change our buying habits too but other than that any protests have to be extremely well targeted.

I'm sure most activists would love to see the UK putting pressure onto major economies, especially China. To take a phrase from David Cameron, we are all in this together.

As you say, we all need to do our bit, and as you mentioned earlier it's all very well setting some lovely targets up but my understanding is that these targets are now nowhere near as severe as they need to be. The time for some easy decade long targets was two decades ago.

No need to worry, our dearly unbeloved Prime Sinister has our contribution to reduction in carbon emissions sorted by allowing Covid_19 Delta variant to run rampant via no masking, reducing border controls etc & consequent reduction in UK population, particularly amongst the elderly so expensive to the Treasury. Sorted.

Thanks for the link Zombers, interesting 👍

*This post may not be entirely serious.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Interesting BBC article for the 'Yeah, but China' posters on 13:03 - Sep 18 with 363 viewsSwansea_Blue

Interesting BBC article for the 'Yeah, but China' posters on 08:49 - Sep 18 by BlueandTruesince82

So because they came late to the pollution party we should let them off the huge emissions they now produce.

Yes that will solve climate change.

The UK with some of the most ambitious targets in the world, the UK which will ban the sale of new no EVs before any country in the world (except Norway) must be picketed to make a point to the many 19th century industrialists who are still around.

China meanwhile is allowed not learn from our mistakes bevsues to make her to so would be racist.

Got it.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2021 8:59]

They don't really produce huge emissions though if you compare like with like at a per capita level. They're producing only slightly more than us per person (and we're pretty good in developed country terms), roughly 2/3rds less than Canada and somewhere between 2/3rd and a half per person less than places like USA, Australia, some African and Middle East countries and a few European countries (e.g. NL, Finland).

I don't think there's near enough prominence given to the per capita levels. Obviously the total is huge because there are so many of them, but surely we have to consider population in all of this. It'd be nuts to set national targets irrespective of population.

And remember, this is before you factor in a large chunk of our emissions that have effectively been exported there due to the relocation of manufacturing in China ad the Far East. Which is the choice of those of un the west who want cheap goods (and manufacturers who want cheaper labour costs).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Interesting BBC article for the 'Yeah, but China' posters on 13:07 - Sep 18 with 362 viewschicoazul

Interesting BBC article for the 'Yeah, but China' posters on 11:52 - Sep 18 by DanTheMan

Lol it's got nothing to do with British exceptionalism. We, and many many other countries (including China) all have to do more.

If everyone else did what they needed to but China didn't, we'd still be better off than if nobody did anything because China wasn't.

Focus on ourselves and try to influence others. China, Australia, Canada, Russia, the U.S etc. all need to commit to more.

As it happens our targets are pretty good comparatively but that doesn't mean we shouldn't aim for further or faster action to meet the 2030 goals.

We don’t influence others that’s my point. This is a viral echo from history that some people are still infected by; that we are in any way influential or important. And I’m not sure about your point about What If We All Did But China Didn’t.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Interesting BBC article for the 'Yeah, but China' posters on 13:08 - Sep 18 with 360 viewschicoazul

Interesting BBC article for the 'Yeah, but China' posters on 12:04 - Sep 18 by WeWereZombies

Oh dear, Guthers - from the BBC piece:

'Any action much[sic] be subtle, though, according to another long-standing independent campaigner, Cindy Baxter. She pointed out the President Xi had committed to strong action to curb coal power, but that provincial governments had ignored him.'

Hahahhahaha that is insane
Provincial governors ignored him??? Hahahahah
The propagandists for the Party are everywhere

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Interesting BBC article for the 'Yeah, but China' posters on 13:11 - Sep 18 with 349 viewsDarth_Koont

Interesting BBC article for the 'Yeah, but China' posters on 13:08 - Sep 18 by chicoazul

You’re coming across as an obsessive slightly loopy troll.

Pronouns: He/Him

Interesting BBC article for the 'Yeah, but China' posters on 13:12 - Sep 18 with 344 viewschicoazul

Interesting BBC article for the 'Yeah, but China' posters on 13:11 - Sep 18 by Darth_Koont

You’re coming across as an obsessive slightly loopy troll.

Coming…..from……you?

Interesting BBC article for the 'Yeah, but China' posters on 13:15 - Sep 18 with 337 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Interesting BBC article for the 'Yeah, but China' posters on 09:01 - Sep 18 by WeWereZombies

Thought for the day - Never pick an argument with someone who has Googled 'Marcus Aurelius quotes' a bit earlier...

'You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.'

'Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.'

'It never ceases to amaze me: we all love ourselves more than other people, but care more about their opinions than our own.'

Jim Jefferies puts it even more succinctly:

"Don't be a c***."
Login to get fewer ads

Interesting BBC article for the 'Yeah, but China' posters on 17:11 - Sep 18 with 272 viewsWeWereZombies

Interesting BBC article for the 'Yeah, but China' posters on 13:08 - Sep 18 by chicoazul

As far as I can tell from reports that come on the World Service and in other media over the years a lot bubbles under the surface in China:

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2021/8/23/china-crackdown-on-tutoring-sector-l

Probably one of the reasons they have moved so swiftly and so harshly in Hong Kong. Also, if you listened to 'Intrigue - Murder in the Lucky Holiday Hotel' you get a flavour of how tortured the chains of command are out there.

Sorry to rattle the cage of your comfy little cell...

Interesting BBC article for the 'Yeah, but China' posters on 22:46 - Sep 18 with 226 viewsDarth_Koont

Interesting BBC article for the 'Yeah, but China' posters on 13:12 - Sep 18 by chicoazul

Coming…..from……you?

Yes, from me. I may be a lot of things but I’m not a troll and a loon.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024