Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wow! Just seen the price of electricity in Britain 08:28 - Sep 19 with 5789 viewsnoggin

Why is it so expensive? That is crazy prices.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Wow! Just seen the price of electricity in Britain on 19:00 - Sep 21 with 635 viewsRyorry

Wow! Just seen the price of electricity in Britain on 17:26 - Sep 21 by monytowbray

Get off the mains electricity and problem solved.

Then tell me what you did for future reference.

I don't have the capital needed, nor the wherewithal to run & maintain it in my 70s, so problem not sorted.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2021 19:02]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Wow! Just seen the price of electricity in Britain on 19:11 - Sep 21 with 609 viewsBluedicea

Wow! Just seen the price of electricity in Britain on 13:31 - Sep 21 by monytowbray

Surely if they are strong enough to withstand weather and spinning around all the time, not to mention they can be cut, the logical approach would be use them for building material or a shell of a building? Helps the housing crisis too.

The short sightedness of capitalism and the markets strikes again - Perhaps if we had politicians and business requirements not so rooted in self-interest and short term profit this stuff wouldn't happen.

There are laws to prevent that.

Seeing as all the health problems associated with asbestos, fibreglass and carbon fibre were classed in the same way. When it breaks down or is damaged it can release dangerous microscopic fibers, which when inhaled get trapped in the lungs.

There is no such thing as clean energy, for modern usage, as all forms of extracting energy from any part of the environment relies upon other technologies that are damaging to the environment in different ways.

The modern world we live in needs too much of the scant resources available. The only way energy will become 'clean' to the planet is when we start asteroid mining, so we can do all the dirty damaging stuff off planet.
Why do you think Bezos, Musk, Chinese government, et al, are pushing so hard to get space travel normalised, so they can make more money and be the number 1 suppliers of everything the earth needs, it's going to be the new wild west/empire building frontier.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2021 19:13]

What is the use of knowing about everything else, when you do not yet know who you are.

Wow! Just seen the price of electricity in Britain on 19:54 - Sep 21 with 571 viewsmonytowbray

Wow! Just seen the price of electricity in Britain on 19:11 - Sep 21 by Bluedicea

There are laws to prevent that.

Seeing as all the health problems associated with asbestos, fibreglass and carbon fibre were classed in the same way. When it breaks down or is damaged it can release dangerous microscopic fibers, which when inhaled get trapped in the lungs.

There is no such thing as clean energy, for modern usage, as all forms of extracting energy from any part of the environment relies upon other technologies that are damaging to the environment in different ways.

The modern world we live in needs too much of the scant resources available. The only way energy will become 'clean' to the planet is when we start asteroid mining, so we can do all the dirty damaging stuff off planet.
Why do you think Bezos, Musk, Chinese government, et al, are pushing so hard to get space travel normalised, so they can make more money and be the number 1 suppliers of everything the earth needs, it's going to be the new wild west/empire building frontier.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2021 19:13]

Good point, hadn’t thought about the materials they’re made of. Then again surely they can’t have anything THAT dangerous in them as is? I don’t know if structures such as a wind turbine would be to the same building health spec as a dwelling but I’d assume a massive spinning object in the wind would need to be somewhat?

I wouldn’t be so defeatist. Much of the battle against climate change actually needs to come from a reduction in energy use, it’s unsustainable to carry on as we are full stop with land usage and hacking down forests. The good news is we can make those personal choices today as those f**ks only know one language - the wallet.

Musk and Zucks are literal Bond villains. Wouldn’t be surprised if one or all of them launched a space laser or death star. Although I’m not entirely sure how going to space helps our need for resources unless they have the ability to colonise the Moon and sell a few lucky tickets through their rich elites eugenics program.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Wow! Just seen the price of electricity in Britain on 23:29 - Sep 21 with 522 viewsBluedicea

Wow! Just seen the price of electricity in Britain on 19:54 - Sep 21 by monytowbray

Good point, hadn’t thought about the materials they’re made of. Then again surely they can’t have anything THAT dangerous in them as is? I don’t know if structures such as a wind turbine would be to the same building health spec as a dwelling but I’d assume a massive spinning object in the wind would need to be somewhat?

I wouldn’t be so defeatist. Much of the battle against climate change actually needs to come from a reduction in energy use, it’s unsustainable to carry on as we are full stop with land usage and hacking down forests. The good news is we can make those personal choices today as those f**ks only know one language - the wallet.

Musk and Zucks are literal Bond villains. Wouldn’t be surprised if one or all of them launched a space laser or death star. Although I’m not entirely sure how going to space helps our need for resources unless they have the ability to colonise the Moon and sell a few lucky tickets through their rich elites eugenics program.

It's a bit complicated really, the arguments for and against and different long term studies have shown different results.
The thing is most of us have glass fibre wool in the wall or lofts of our houses as it makesa good insulator, is a cheap filler and cheap sound proofing, that's all considered ok as long as it' stays covered and is not exposed in any way.
There are limits placed on how much a person is allowed to be exposed to in residential and occupational areas and anyone using it has to wear special gloves and full face masks, so the fibres can not enter the lungs, eyes or skin, which would be hazardous to the health.

The problem of climate change was purely driven by unsustainable population growth over the last couple of centuries. Which resulted in people grabbing what they can rather than trying to provide for the future. We became out of balance with the ecosystem we inhabit. But as the work in the 80's on banning CFC's shows, we can achieve good things if we work together.

It's in the funding and propaganda stages of operation. Normalisation of travel to space, whilst making some money to start funding bigger space projects. Like the bases on the moon and mars, which are likely to become solely privately funded by Bezos or Musk. And just imagine what sort of stuff they can do when they have no oversight, as who in space could control them or know what they are really doing(borrowed your Bond metaphor).
Mining just one asteroid could solve earths rare metal shortages for decades, because it would supply the same amount as earth could produce in 20 years of mining, simply because it's easier to get and no environmental protections have to be adhered to.

What is the use of knowing about everything else, when you do not yet know who you are.

Wow! Just seen the price of electricity in Britain on 07:46 - Sep 22 with 466 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Wow! Just seen the price of electricity in Britain on 23:29 - Sep 21 by Bluedicea

It's a bit complicated really, the arguments for and against and different long term studies have shown different results.
The thing is most of us have glass fibre wool in the wall or lofts of our houses as it makesa good insulator, is a cheap filler and cheap sound proofing, that's all considered ok as long as it' stays covered and is not exposed in any way.
There are limits placed on how much a person is allowed to be exposed to in residential and occupational areas and anyone using it has to wear special gloves and full face masks, so the fibres can not enter the lungs, eyes or skin, which would be hazardous to the health.

The problem of climate change was purely driven by unsustainable population growth over the last couple of centuries. Which resulted in people grabbing what they can rather than trying to provide for the future. We became out of balance with the ecosystem we inhabit. But as the work in the 80's on banning CFC's shows, we can achieve good things if we work together.

It's in the funding and propaganda stages of operation. Normalisation of travel to space, whilst making some money to start funding bigger space projects. Like the bases on the moon and mars, which are likely to become solely privately funded by Bezos or Musk. And just imagine what sort of stuff they can do when they have no oversight, as who in space could control them or know what they are really doing(borrowed your Bond metaphor).
Mining just one asteroid could solve earths rare metal shortages for decades, because it would supply the same amount as earth could produce in 20 years of mining, simply because it's easier to get and no environmental protections have to be adhered to.

Stokie!! ??

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Wow! Just seen the price of electricity in Britain on 10:12 - Sep 22 with 415 viewsHARRY10

"The problem of climate change was purely driven by unsustainable population growth over the last couple of centuries. "

more absurd nonsense

Compare the consumption of the world's resources by a 'western' family with that of a third world family over most of that time. Which of them has been burning fossil foods at the highest rate per head ?

The west being the culprits, have long dismissed concerns with scum bages like Johnson, Farage and Trump repeatedly denying there was a problem, and deriding any concerns or attempts to address the problems.

It is a global problem and as such requires global action. Something that is handicapped by isolationists and similar thinking, who decry the idea that there is such a thing as collective responsibility, No such thing as society, as claimed by a previous nutter, or the need to have responsibility towards those around, as with 'anti vaxxers'.

So until all of us, or at least the vast majority, take on board the understanding that it is us causing the damage we will struggle to make much change. And that will require righties to stop peddling myths and out right lies - and drop the mentality that derides those expressing a concern as being tree huggers etc.
Wow! Just seen the price of electricity in Britain on 10:38 - Sep 22 with 399 viewsmonytowbray

Wow! Just seen the price of electricity in Britain on 23:29 - Sep 21 by Bluedicea

Just to back Harry's reply (although I do agree with the rest) - the population isn't the issue. Poor land usage and money hoarding is the issue.

The argument with climate change is what we are doing isn't sustainable, green energy or otherwise, for the time being. It will be that way for a while. If we could find a almost completely carbon neutral energy we could carry on but time ain't on our side.

A good example I use is the deforestation of earth for food - 90%+ of soy production goes on feeding animals that then use up more space, more water and deliver less food. That soy alone could feed the world multiple times over.

Personal responsibility is a huge factor, we all need to do better.

TWTD never forgets…

Wow! Just seen the price of electricity in Britain on 12:16 - Sep 22 with 380 viewsHARRY10

Wow! Just seen the price of electricity in Britain on 10:38 - Sep 22 by monytowbray

Just to back Harry's reply (although I do agree with the rest) - the population isn't the issue. Poor land usage and money hoarding is the issue.

The argument with climate change is what we are doing isn't sustainable, green energy or otherwise, for the time being. It will be that way for a while. If we could find a almost completely carbon neutral energy we could carry on but time ain't on our side.

A good example I use is the deforestation of earth for food - 90%+ of soy production goes on feeding animals that then use up more space, more water and deliver less food. That soy alone could feed the world multiple times over.

Personal responsibility is a huge factor, we all need to do better.

However, that soy is not primarily grown as food, it is grown as a commodity to sell - therein lies the problem.

With production only ever carried out with a view to short term profit, long term damage will never be much of a consideration.

As long as people in this country believe it is a right to be able to buy a whole chicken for less than a pint of beer and items of clothing for the same cost, then the destruction will continue.

And as long as there are those all too willing to defend those 'rights' via some warped political ideology then as said, little will be achieved.
Login to get fewer ads

Wow! Just seen the price of electricity in Britain on 15:20 - Sep 22 with 348 viewsmonytowbray

Wow! Just seen the price of electricity in Britain on 12:16 - Sep 22 by HARRY10

However, that soy is not primarily grown as food, it is grown as a commodity to sell - therein lies the problem.

With production only ever carried out with a view to short term profit, long term damage will never be much of a consideration.

As long as people in this country believe it is a right to be able to buy a whole chicken for less than a pint of beer and items of clothing for the same cost, then the destruction will continue.

And as long as there are those all too willing to defend those 'rights' via some warped political ideology then as said, little will be achieved.

I point you to the single best bit of graffiti I've seen in a while (just outside Manchester) that reads...

RESISTANCE IS FURTILE, STOP VOTING, START GROWING.

Capitalism will change if people can actually learn some level of moral self control with consumption. Not easy I know but if everyone did their bit the system could be less designed to fail - we drive demand, not them.

But you ain't wrong. It's a mess and I'm resigned to change coming far too late - we'll be beyond f**ked by the time the majority wake up - as they wonder why we're in lockdown 28 of the century from more worsening pandemics with nothing to eat and no roof over their head because their hometown is flooded beyond being habitable for humans.

Largely part of the reason I'm so keen to go off-grid as much as possible. Wondering if all those doomsday preppers on netflix are really as mad as I initially thought!

We might get lucky with clean energy tech, although everyone seems more interested in hoarding resources and colonising the moon. Dystopian sci-fi needs to be added to the school curriculum.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2021 15:22]

TWTD never forgets…

Wow! Just seen the price of electricity in Britain on 15:32 - Sep 22 with 334 viewsHARRY10

Wow! Just seen the price of electricity in Britain on 15:20 - Sep 22 by monytowbray

I point you to the single best bit of graffiti I've seen in a while (just outside Manchester) that reads...

RESISTANCE IS FURTILE, STOP VOTING, START GROWING.

Capitalism will change if people can actually learn some level of moral self control with consumption. Not easy I know but if everyone did their bit the system could be less designed to fail - we drive demand, not them.

But you ain't wrong. It's a mess and I'm resigned to change coming far too late - we'll be beyond f**ked by the time the majority wake up - as they wonder why we're in lockdown 28 of the century from more worsening pandemics with nothing to eat and no roof over their head because their hometown is flooded beyond being habitable for humans.

Largely part of the reason I'm so keen to go off-grid as much as possible. Wondering if all those doomsday preppers on netflix are really as mad as I initially thought!

We might get lucky with clean energy tech, although everyone seems more interested in hoarding resources and colonising the moon. Dystopian sci-fi needs to be added to the school curriculum.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2021 15:22]

The problem is one of a percentage of the population seem unable to make a rational decision about most things.

I doubt if the sht the Mail and others persuades people into certain thinking, all it does is fill their silly heads with justification, and absurd slogans to bleat out.

A neighbour not too far away is totally anti recycling and almost goes out of his way not to.

It can be argued that his behaviour makes not a jot of difference in the grand scheme of things - but it is a mindset that I find in so many people. This view that collective responsibility is somehow a massive imposition. All part of some grand conspiracy against them

It is what is behind the 'woke' bleat. A handy Orwellian type slogan to bleat out at anything that suggests the world does not revolve around them and their perspective on things.

Until we can begin to understand these types, we will always face an uphill struggle.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024