Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nice form table view / layout 11:50 - Oct 20 with 2120 viewsunstableblue

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-one/form-guide

Not seen this League One form guide (last six games) style before, good to see results clearly laid out

Really standing out that whilst its looking much much healthier, we need to start wining back to backs like out rivals, and against better opposition

MUST win against Fleetwood and then I think a season defining couple of away games... we'll know a lot more after the Wycombe game

On another note perhaps Wigan are going to falter??

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Nice form table view / layout on 11:55 - Oct 20 with 2049 viewsHerbivore

We need to be gaining ground on that top 5 so much as our form has improved they've still continued to move away from us over the last 6 games. It's important we don't forget that context, we've given a head start to good sides and producing form that will overhaul that head start is now a big ask. You're right about the back to back wins, we can't keep winning a game then following it up with a below par performance if we really want to make up ground on the leading pack. Saturday totes us a good chance to do that and we need to take it. If we could also take 3 or 4 points from Plymouth and Wycombe that would be a good haul and would send a message that despite our poor start we should be in the mix.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Nice form table view / layout on 12:02 - Oct 20 with 1978 viewsunstableblue

Nice form table view / layout on 11:55 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

We need to be gaining ground on that top 5 so much as our form has improved they've still continued to move away from us over the last 6 games. It's important we don't forget that context, we've given a head start to good sides and producing form that will overhaul that head start is now a big ask. You're right about the back to back wins, we can't keep winning a game then following it up with a below par performance if we really want to make up ground on the leading pack. Saturday totes us a good chance to do that and we need to take it. If we could also take 3 or 4 points from Plymouth and Wycombe that would be a good haul and would send a message that despite our poor start we should be in the mix.

Yes if you look at the form over the last ten matches its all the usual suspects in the top berths...

However, and to give Cook some credit and question some of the hysteria on the board, we're still 7th.. BUT to counter what I just said and to agree with your point even with our upturn Wigan, Sunderland and Plymouth have still extended their lead by 6 points in that period.

I'm convinced Wigan and Plymouth will falter.. but not Sunderland, Wycombe and Rotherham in my mind

Nice form table view / layout on 12:03 - Oct 20 with 1978 viewspositivity

Nice form table view / layout on 11:55 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

not quite true, 6 games ago we were 8 points off 5th, now 7, that's moving towards.

we've just got to keep racking up the points as we've been doing for the 2nd half of the season so far and they'll come back to us; it's unrealistic to suggest that 6 teams will continue with our automatic promotion form

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Nice form table view / layout on 12:20 - Oct 20 with 1892 viewslegoman

The 6 game form table does not lie.

Poll: Sheepshanks 5 years -v- Evans 5 points

Nice form table view / layout on 12:30 - Oct 20 with 1844 viewsHerbivore

Nice form table view / layout on 12:03 - Oct 20 by positivity

not quite true, 6 games ago we were 8 points off 5th, now 7, that's moving towards.

we've just got to keep racking up the points as we've been doing for the 2nd half of the season so far and they'll come back to us; it's unrealistic to suggest that 6 teams will continue with our automatic promotion form

If we carry on our form from the last 6 games, where we've taken 11 points, that should see us finish 6th, possibly 5th at a stretch. Ideally we go on a couple of runs soon where we pick up over 2 points per game to get us in the mix quickly so any brief dip isn't disastrous. That's why back to back wins are so key and we've not managed them yet in 8 months in the league.

Nice form table view / layout on 12:34 - Oct 20 with 1824 viewspositivity

Nice form table view / layout on 12:30 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

If we carry on our form from the last 6 games, where we've taken 11 points, that should see us finish 6th, possibly 5th at a stretch. Ideally we go on a couple of runs soon where we pick up over 2 points per game to get us in the mix quickly so any brief dip isn't disastrous. That's why back to back wins are so key and we've not managed them yet in 8 months in the league.

and if we carry on our form from the past 7 games, that's 83 points, even better!

Nice form table view / layout on 12:42 - Oct 20 with 1776 viewsHerbivore

Nice form table view / layout on 12:34 - Oct 20 by positivity

and if we carry on our form from the past 7 games, that's 83 points, even better!

But if we go with the last 8 games it's only 75 points. Depends on which particular run of games you want to cherry pick, I think Guthers favours 8 when he does his predicted table and most sites use 6 games for their form table. I'm not aware of many 7 game form tables, but even our 7 game form leaves us short of automatic promotion.

In any case, the key thing is stringing together some wins. The top 5 in the form table are the current top 5 and even with our improved form over the last 6 games their form has been even better. We still need to improve and stringing multiple wins together is key at this point.

It'll be interesting to see how we do over some tougher upcoming fixtures. We've played 8 of the 11 sides below us in the table and all 4 of our wins have come against those sides. We've only played 5 of the 12 sides above us and not beaten any of them. It's been a pretty good opening set of fixtures and we've not gained enough points from them, imo. That means we have to beat those sides who we consider fellow promotion rivals consistently if we're going to sustain the kind of form we need to over the rest of the season.

Nice form table view / layout on 12:55 - Oct 20 with 1736 viewsdirtyboy

Interesting looking at exactly who the top teams have played too.

Only Rotherham and Wycombe have played each other and that was a draw.

I'll only disappoint myself by saying this, but it really is in our hands...beat those teams and we're back in amongst them. Obviously we won't beat them all, but if we did...

I think we'll break into the top 6 by the end of November.
Login to get fewer ads

Nice form table view / layout on 13:00 - Oct 20 with 1709 viewspositivity

Nice form table view / layout on 12:42 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

But if we go with the last 8 games it's only 75 points. Depends on which particular run of games you want to cherry pick, I think Guthers favours 8 when he does his predicted table and most sites use 6 games for their form table. I'm not aware of many 7 game form tables, but even our 7 game form leaves us short of automatic promotion.

In any case, the key thing is stringing together some wins. The top 5 in the form table are the current top 5 and even with our improved form over the last 6 games their form has been even better. We still need to improve and stringing multiple wins together is key at this point.

It'll be interesting to see how we do over some tougher upcoming fixtures. We've played 8 of the 11 sides below us in the table and all 4 of our wins have come against those sides. We've only played 5 of the 12 sides above us and not beaten any of them. It's been a pretty good opening set of fixtures and we've not gained enough points from them, imo. That means we have to beat those sides who we consider fellow promotion rivals consistently if we're going to sustain the kind of form we need to over the rest of the season.

6 is the norm, maybe we should look at the post-morsy era alone!

we seem to be playing ok against the 'better' sides (mk/lincoln/pompey/sheff), it's the more 'agricultural' sides i'm more worried about..

Nice form table view / layout on 13:06 - Oct 20 with 1678 viewsHerbivore

Nice form table view / layout on 13:00 - Oct 20 by positivity

6 is the norm, maybe we should look at the post-morsy era alone!

we seem to be playing ok against the 'better' sides (mk/lincoln/pompey/sheff), it's the more 'agricultural' sides i'm more worried about..

We drew with MK and Sheffield Wednesday, what we need is to be winning games. Arguable on current form whether Lincoln and Pompey qualify as 'better' sides to be honest. And it's not only the dross in this league that are agricultural in their approach, Rotherham and Wycombe are direct to say the least.

Nice form table view / layout on 13:13 - Oct 20 with 1633 viewsVic

Nice form table view / layout on 12:42 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

I hear what you say Herby, but I think your selling us cheaply.

We have had an awe full start and left ourselves a huge mountain to climb to get top two by the end of the season.

However, top six is very, very possible. If we start to play as well as the sum of our parts I’m still confident we will be the best in the league. So if we hit firm we’ve nothing to fear from the teams above and around us. We can beat them - let’s not assume the future results on the basis of the start of the season. We’re hitting some form and consistency, if we maintain it (and why shouldn’t we if we think the other teams will also maintain their current form?) we have nothing to fear.

I’m not saying we will get top two, but I do think top 6 is very possible from where we are. And once we get there we will be hard to dislodge.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Nice form table view / layout on 13:14 - Oct 20 with 1630 viewsVic

Nice form table view / layout on 12:55 - Oct 20 by dirtyboy

I'll only disappoint myself by saying this, but it really is in our hands...beat those teams and we're back in amongst them. Obviously we won't beat them all, but if we did...

Shows it could be a blessing in disguise that we didn’t play any of those top teams whilst we were in our awe full early season form.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Nice form table view / layout on 13:30 - Oct 20 with 1572 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Nice form table view / layout on 12:30 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

This team hasn't had 8 months in this league. In fact without Morsy and Walton they haven't had 8 games. Given the rate at which we were conceding, these two were very important to get in the side.

Yes I know that's giving Cook a free hit, blah blah. But if you look at the team dispassionately and take Cook and ones feelings about him out of the equation, our best version of the team has not had many games together at all.

I appreciate Cook and Ashton caused some of that themselves by ripping up the old team completely, and buying Hladky who is looking like a mistake.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Nice form table view / layout on 13:39 - Oct 20 with 1513 viewsHerbivore

Nice form table view / layout on 13:13 - Oct 20 by Vic

I hear what you say Herby, but I think your selling us cheaply.

We have had an awe full start and left ourselves a huge mountain to climb to get top two by the end of the season.

However, top six is very, very possible. If we start to play as well as the sum of our parts I’m still confident we will be the best in the league. So if we hit firm we’ve nothing to fear from the teams above and around us. We can beat them - let’s not assume the future results on the basis of the start of the season. We’re hitting some form and consistency, if we maintain it (and why shouldn’t we if we think the other teams will also maintain their current form?) we have nothing to fear.

I’m not saying we will get top two, but I do think top 6 is very possible from where we are. And once we get there we will be hard to dislodge.

I don't disagree regarding top 6 being possible. It requires us sustaining not far off top 2/3 form over the rest of the season because of our awful start but that's not beyond us with the squad we have. We are taking some tentative steps forward but the Cambridge and Accrington games were poor and we can't afford that many of those kinds of performances. And we've still yet to win back to back league games and that will need to change, ideally on Saturday.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2021 13:40]

Nice form table view / layout on 13:42 - Oct 20 with 1495 viewspositivity

Nice form table view / layout on 13:06 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

We drew with MK and Sheffield Wednesday, what we need is to be winning games. Arguable on current form whether Lincoln and Pompey qualify as 'better' sides to be honest. And it's not only the dross in this league that are agricultural in their approach, Rotherham and Wycombe are direct to say the least.

2 wins and 2 draws is fine; 2 points a game against the 'better' sides is excellent.

you're right to single out rotherham & wycombe, think these will be our biggest challenge

Nice form table view / layout on 13:52 - Oct 20 with 1455 viewsBent_double

Nice form table view / layout on 13:14 - Oct 20 by Vic

Shows it could be a blessing in disguise that we didn’t play any of those top teams whilst we were in our awe full early season form.

Exactly. If we had played Rotherham, Wycombe, Sunderland and Plymouth in the first 6 games of the season and lost or drawn all of them, that would be worse than losing to the likes of Accrington or Cheltenham.

As it stands, we still have a chance of taking points off all those teams and closing the gap to them.

Another thing that puzzles me is why people as assuming that the teams in the top six are just going to continue their good form all the way to the end of the season. I mean, I'm sure 2 seasons ago fans of other clubs were saying, "oooh, look at Ipswich - 7 points clear at the top, no-ones catching them"....how little did they know.

As good as Plymouth are at the moment, can they really sustain that throuhout the season? Will Sunderland have a mini collapse at some point? Rotherham are the ones that worry me the most, can a Championship club nick their manager please??

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Nice form table view / layout on 13:58 - Oct 20 with 1437 viewspositivity

Nice form table view / layout on 13:52 - Oct 20 by Bent_double

Exactly. If we had played Rotherham, Wycombe, Sunderland and Plymouth in the first 6 games of the season and lost or drawn all of them, that would be worse than losing to the likes of Accrington or Cheltenham.

As it stands, we still have a chance of taking points off all those teams and closing the gap to them.

Another thing that puzzles me is why people as assuming that the teams in the top six are just going to continue their good form all the way to the end of the season. I mean, I'm sure 2 seasons ago fans of other clubs were saying, "oooh, look at Ipswich - 7 points clear at the top, no-ones catching them"....how little did they know.

As good as Plymouth are at the moment, can they really sustain that throuhout the season? Will Sunderland have a mini collapse at some point? Rotherham are the ones that worry me the most, can a Championship club nick their manager please??

trouble is, he's not very successful at championship level, very competent at league one though!

good points on 14:01 - Oct 20 with 1412 viewsunstableblue

Nice form table view / layout on 13:52 - Oct 20 by Bent_double

Does anyone know where we were in the two seasons under Lambert at this level, at this point in the season??

Be interesting to see??

good points on 14:11 - Oct 20 with 1367 viewsHerbivore

good points on 14:01 - Oct 20 by unstableblue

Does anyone know where we were in the two seasons under Lambert at this level, at this point in the season??

Be interesting to see??

This has been done to death. Our failure to convert good starts into top 6 finishes under Lambert shouldn't be used as some kind of evidence that this is common place. For every Blackpool starting as poorly as us and going up there will be 10 other sides who started strongly and were amongst the top 8 or so all season. That doesn't mean none of the top 6 will fade or that we can't make the top 6 and go up, but the sides there now have an advantage over us. We would be much better served being where they are with their current points total than we are in sitting 13th with 17 points from 13 games.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2021 14:19]

Nice form table view / layout on 17:34 - Oct 20 with 1127 viewsMackemLad

Nice form table view / layout on 12:55 - Oct 20 by dirtyboy

Are you sure of those stats about who the top teams have played?
We've played Wigan (won 2-1), Wycombe (won 3-1), MK Dons (won 2-1) and Bolton (won 1-0).
Great win for your lot last night. I came on after you thrashed Doncaster and said the same, but also that it meant nothing unless you followed up against Accrington. The same applies with last night - mess it up against Fleetwood and you just won't ever catch up with zero consistency. I think you'll win though, and probably come into your best form right before you visit the SOL.

Good luck for the rest of the season (apart from the two obvious fixtures) and hope you finally put together a good run, and manage to beat some of the other top teams in November....
[Post edited 20 Oct 2021 17:36]
Nice form table view / layout on 18:01 - Oct 20 with 1049 viewspositivity

Nice form table view / layout on 17:34 - Oct 20 by MackemLad

Are you sure of those stats about who the top teams have played?
We've played Wigan (won 2-1), Wycombe (won 3-1), MK Dons (won 2-1) and Bolton (won 1-0).
Great win for your lot last night. I came on after you thrashed Doncaster and said the same, but also that it meant nothing unless you followed up against Accrington. The same applies with last night - mess it up against Fleetwood and you just won't ever catch up with zero consistency. I think you'll win though, and probably come into your best form right before you visit the SOL.

Good luck for the rest of the season (apart from the two obvious fixtures) and hope you finally put together a good run, and manage to beat some of the other top teams in November....
[Post edited 20 Oct 2021 17:36]

what on earth happened with your lot against pompey?

weirdest result of the season, and last night just deepened the mystery!

Nice form table view / layout on 18:11 - Oct 20 with 1024 viewsMackemLad

Nice form table view / layout on 18:01 - Oct 20 by positivity

what on earth happened with your lot against pompey?

weirdest result of the season, and last night just deepened the mystery!

Ha - honestly that game should never have been played. There must have been 4 inches of water on the pitch and the ball was impossible to pass. It was the same for both teams - we absolutely didn't even battle, but if the score had been 0-0 at half time, there's no way the second half would have kicked off. No excuses for us, it turned the game into an absolute battle, and we never even competed. That worries me for our season if and when sides get in our faces. Probably for the first time in the 4 seasons we've been down here, we are playing a good passing game that is good to watch. But when we couldn't play that way, we had no plan B whatsoever. Fair play Pompey though, they gave us a right pasting. I'm pleased you took those 4 goals back from them last night!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024