Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" 13:14 - Oct 24 with 1815 viewsRyorry

Any advice please? Main difference between the two seems to be 256GB SSD Storage vs 512GB. My biggest storage items are probably around 2K photos & shedloadsa now redundant downloaded documents.

Very pricey, but don't want to go back to Windows now I've got used to Mac, and this current Airbook has proved extremely reliable, bought 2013 & has had 7 years' hard use, but has become a bit slow (some may remember my previous thread c. 1 month ago) & could hear fan struggling noisily this morning after 20 mins use (noise disappeared after re-starting).

Edit: use largely for email, storing photos, social media, some live streaming of events, online shopping. Don't do gaming

Tia if you can assist 👍

[Post edited 24 Oct 2021 13:17]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 21:16 - Oct 25 with 522 viewsVic

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 12:10 - Oct 25 by Swansea_Blue

What a horrendous article.

Swanners, I’m guessing you’re a Mac user?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 21:33 - Oct 25 with 506 viewsLeBlue

Bit late to the party here but I was massively anti-Mac, until my 13 year old daughter got a second hand one just before lockdown 1.0. It was a 2013 model and cost her about £250, given how old it was, I was hugely impressed and it was awesome for her home learning and it is still going strong.

So impressed I was that I got myself a second hand 2020 MacBook Pro (M1 chip) earlier this year. Got it from Ebay, paid £1,001 but it came with unopened air po5 pros and a magic mouse. Total cost would have been over £1500 new so worth thinking about Ebay if you've got the time to browse (and be disappointed) for legit Ebay listings.

Got mine from a lass who had bought it but didn't get on with it, it had an 8 battery cycle count when I got it, so good as new.

Love it.

In summary, have a look for a nearly new private seller on Ebay if you fancy a bargain.
Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 23:11 - Oct 25 with 483 viewsBlueForYou

Wait & see what Black Friday brings?
Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 09:58 - Oct 26 with 445 viewsRyorry

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 21:33 - Oct 25 by LeBlue

Bit late to the party here but I was massively anti-Mac, until my 13 year old daughter got a second hand one just before lockdown 1.0. It was a 2013 model and cost her about £250, given how old it was, I was hugely impressed and it was awesome for her home learning and it is still going strong.

So impressed I was that I got myself a second hand 2020 MacBook Pro (M1 chip) earlier this year. Got it from Ebay, paid £1,001 but it came with unopened air po5 pros and a magic mouse. Total cost would have been over £1500 new so worth thinking about Ebay if you've got the time to browse (and be disappointed) for legit Ebay listings.

Got mine from a lass who had bought it but didn't get on with it, it had an 8 battery cycle count when I got it, so good as new.

Love it.

In summary, have a look for a nearly new private seller on Ebay if you fancy a bargain.

Problem with eBay is that you don't get the 2yr guarantee that JL offers, nor esp with 2nd-hand, necessarily the support if/when things go wrong.

To BlueForYou & EG - waiting till BF a good idea in theory (26 Nov) but don't have that option with current machine apparently on last legs, & needing it to last till at least a few days after getting new machine in case of any problems with that.

Wkj & Ulla - had enough of faffing about with cloud storage tbh.

Anyway - never thought I'd be one of those sad nerds who gets up at sparrowfart to ensure they get the latest bit of tech hot kit, but there I was on the JL site early doors and order placed, yay Not without a fair bit of stress & time - cc payment failed to go thru numerous times on 2 browsers (Chrome can sometimes be a pain with bank verification) despite have made 2 payments to ensure I had enough credit. Turned out it had been flagged up as poss fraud! Cue 40 mins on hold to CS & anti-fraud section.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2021 9:59]

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 23:23 - Oct 27 with 381 viewsRyorry

Well, nice work indeed JL :) - ordered yesterday, free delivery promised within 5 days, arrived 26 hours later this morning via DPD (photo ID required).

Didn't intend to set up straight away, but had to really as the process auto starts soon as you left the lid. All easy & quick, apart from the data migration from old Mac, which is a great idea & should be easy but turned out to be a pain in the bum - took 4 hrs to completely fail first time; successful 2nd time (took 2.5 hrs for around 55GB of data).

So far, absolutely loving it - super fast, super resolution, photos hugely improved, text much easier to read everywhere, yay! Thanks again all 👍

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 07:13 - Oct 28 with 347 viewsSteve_M

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 23:23 - Oct 27 by Ryorry

Well, nice work indeed JL :) - ordered yesterday, free delivery promised within 5 days, arrived 26 hours later this morning via DPD (photo ID required).

Didn't intend to set up straight away, but had to really as the process auto starts soon as you left the lid. All easy & quick, apart from the data migration from old Mac, which is a great idea & should be easy but turned out to be a pain in the bum - took 4 hrs to completely fail first time; successful 2nd time (took 2.5 hrs for around 55GB of data).

So far, absolutely loving it - super fast, super resolution, photos hugely improved, text much easier to read everywhere, yay! Thanks again all 👍

Excellent, the difference in performance compared to our old machine must be enormous. It took a while to copy stuff across last Summer, but partly because I had to learnt how to do it first.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 08:00 - Oct 28 with 342 viewsmuhrensleftfoot

I'm a "windows" man but same issue with storage Keep photos on an external HDD which I backup to a 2nd HDD if and when I add further photos. If you subscribe to Amazon Prime you also have unlimited photo storage online.
Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 13:09 - Oct 28 with 313 viewsRyorry

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 07:13 - Oct 28 by Steve_M

Excellent, the difference in performance compared to our old machine must be enormous. It took a while to copy stuff across last Summer, but partly because I had to learnt how to do it first.

The transferring of everything from old to new Mac is definitely tricky, but worth it, as it means you get your old desktop back exactly incl screensaver, screenshots, taskbar positions, open windows/tabs, nor have to download other browsers than Safari which it comes with.

If anyone else is looking to do same (GB?), I think where I fell down first time was not clicking on the icon of a computer screen at top of page *as well as* clicking 'continue' when it came to choice of where to transfer data from (choices are ext HDD, other Mac, Time Machine back-ups). It's far from obvious, as you think you'll get to select 'where from' when you press 'continue' - but you don't, so I think initially it was sending data wrong way round, from new to old!

No message to let you know that - all you get is "transferring data" message on a continuous to & fro. Ended up phoning their support (their ace customer service instant help line open till 8pm is one of the reasons I stayed with Mac). Advisor sorted it eventually, but even she didn't find the process easy! You know when it's working as load bar starts filling steadily if slowly, tells you how much done & estimated time required for remainder.

Login to get fewer ads

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 16:39 - Oct 28 with 282 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 13:09 - Oct 28 by Ryorry

The transferring of everything from old to new Mac is definitely tricky, but worth it, as it means you get your old desktop back exactly incl screensaver, screenshots, taskbar positions, open windows/tabs, nor have to download other browsers than Safari which it comes with.

If anyone else is looking to do same (GB?), I think where I fell down first time was not clicking on the icon of a computer screen at top of page *as well as* clicking 'continue' when it came to choice of where to transfer data from (choices are ext HDD, other Mac, Time Machine back-ups). It's far from obvious, as you think you'll get to select 'where from' when you press 'continue' - but you don't, so I think initially it was sending data wrong way round, from new to old!

No message to let you know that - all you get is "transferring data" message on a continuous to & fro. Ended up phoning their support (their ace customer service instant help line open till 8pm is one of the reasons I stayed with Mac). Advisor sorted it eventually, but even she didn't find the process easy! You know when it's working as load bar starts filling steadily if slowly, tells you how much done & estimated time required for remainder.

55Gb of data? What on earth have you got?

I use a NAS server for home and drop off items onto that when its something I need to keep. I can access it remotely from my laptop (pc of course) and iPhone/iPad.
Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 16:47 - Oct 28 with 280 viewsRyorry

Thinking of buying a new Mac-book pro 13" or 14" on 16:39 - Oct 28 by BlueBlueBluex2

55Gb of data? What on earth have you got?

I use a NAS server for home and drop off items onto that when its something I need to keep. I can access it remotely from my laptop (pc of course) and iPhone/iPad.

It's poss I may have failed to observe a decimal point somewhere down the line

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024