Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? 06:52 - Nov 21 with 1887 viewssolomon

Play offs are still a realistic ambition in my opinion. I know many of you disagree wholeheartedly , probably with good reason. We all knew this rebuilding job wasn’t a quick fix, we are too broken for that, it will come (consistently) good eventually, but we must keep our ambition alive as without it we are nowhere.
Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 11:53 - Nov 21 with 305 viewsitfcjoe

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 10:07 - Nov 21 by pointofblue

I’m not in the slightest. I think some see questioning Cook, in a roundabout way, would still be an admittance that maybe He Who Must Not Be Named didn’t do a bad job here and that simply cannot be accepted.

To be honest, that’s the only thing I’m holding onto because otherwise I cannot see the logic of him blindly taking two squads of players - one just a point off the play offs when he arrived, one full of talent, many of whom who would have interested bottom end Championship sides when we signed them - and, if anything, taking us backwards with both whilst getting near universal support.

I’m not saying now is the time to sack Cook but he certainly deserves questions about if he is taking us forward. It’s all very well having a handful of good results but Jewell beat West Ham 5-1 and Doncaster 6-0; we saw where that got us.

I think the Paul Jewell comparisons are apt, the odd game where we look brilliant, and may string some results together but too often whilst looking half decent in an attacking sense we get quite easily stopped by well organised sides and just end up treading water

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 12:11 - Nov 21 with 288 viewsskinnybob72

Current form of W6 D6 L6 maintained for the rest of the season will see Town on 61-63 points which will be nowhere near the top6.

Last season 74 points were needed to finish 6th so quite a bit of improvement needed from now to the end of the season, so 50 points needed from now on which is a massive increase in PPG for the rest of the season. Any loss to a team higher up the league will dent the chances of making the play-offs.

It's not out of reach but it will require a massive improvement - do we have it in us?
Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 12:25 - Nov 21 with 273 viewsstonojnr

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 07:15 - Nov 21 by solomon

Realistically it seems 50 / 50 at best.

As long as next season there is total ambition and commitment from the owners…..but we’ve been there before.

I dont think its that bad a situation, Im not confident of getting into the playoffs but I think its very achievable still, heck it was still achievable last season when Cook came in, we only needed another 6 pts more from our last 5 games and we'd have made 6th, but Cook/players downed tools or gave up, and here we are still, so it shows I think you just need a bit of consistency in this league and you can progress up it.

but you need to win games, you need to score goals and not concede so many, basic football really
Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 13:27 - Nov 21 with 246 viewssolomon

Ambition, is it a dirty word for us now? on 12:25 - Nov 21 by stonojnr

I dont think its that bad a situation, Im not confident of getting into the playoffs but I think its very achievable still, heck it was still achievable last season when Cook came in, we only needed another 6 pts more from our last 5 games and we'd have made 6th, but Cook/players downed tools or gave up, and here we are still, so it shows I think you just need a bit of consistency in this league and you can progress up it.

but you need to win games, you need to score goals and not concede so many, basic football really

Consistency is key, we struggle with that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024