Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Celina....room for improvement? 19:16 - Nov 17 with 2446 viewsMaySixth

clearly a matchwinner on his day but has his overall performance level been his best so far?

i know some love him, i watch him and think he could do better

tinhat on!

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Celina....room for improvement? on 19:22 - Nov 17 with 2105 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Nowhere near his best performance level.......yet.

Many wayward passes and losing possession far too often against Oxford. He will, though, get much better with game time.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Celina....room for improvement? on 19:43 - Nov 17 with 2060 viewschrismakin

Not at his best yet and I don't really think we will get it weekly either.

I think he's a few games at a time player.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2021 19:46]

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Celina....room for improvement? on 20:00 - Nov 17 with 2029 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I think the No10 role is too important to have someone in who may have a barn stormer once every 5 matches.

Would rather see Chaplin there, and Celina out wide.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2021 20:01]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Celina....room for improvement? on 20:31 - Nov 17 with 1943 viewsStokieBlue

Celina....room for improvement? on 19:43 - Nov 17 by chrismakin

Not at his best yet and I don't really think we will get it weekly either.

I think he's a few games at a time player.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2021 19:46]

I think this is your perception rather than the reality:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/ipswich-town/top-scorers/assists

Just as accurate as anyone else (which is surprising given his passes are usually tricky or first time), second most chances created in far less games, chances created per 90 over twice what Chaplin's is and only 2 goals behind him having played 2 less matches and not being fully fit at the start.

There seems to be a narrative around Celina which isn't backed up by the numbers.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Celina....room for improvement? on 20:36 - Nov 17 with 1927 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Celina....room for improvement? on 20:31 - Nov 17 by StokieBlue

Just as accurate as anyone else (which is surprising given his passes are usually tricky or first time), second most chances created in far less games, chances created per 90 over twice what Chaplin's is and only 2 goals behind him having played 2 less matches and not being fully fit at the start.

There seems to be a narrative around Celina which isn't backed up by the numbers.

SB

Think he's only played one less match than Chaplin, and Chaplin also had fitness issues.

Not sure if sub appearances are taken into account?!

I'd have Chaplin at 10 and Celina out wide.

Nice problems to have!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Celina....room for improvement? on 20:38 - Nov 17 with 1919 viewschrismakin

Celina....room for improvement? on 20:31 - Nov 17 by StokieBlue

SB

Quite possibly SB.

The only issue I have is he has on occasions been ineffective for a large volume of the game then popped up for 5 minutes with either a goal or a pass or two.
Which if course is great if its resulted in a win.

Not saying anyone else is 100% all game every game but there's something about his play that makes me want more.

Kinda like Edwards but stats the other way.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Celina....room for improvement? on 20:38 - Nov 17 with 1918 viewsNickITFC

I would definitely rather see him moved out to the left and bring in Chaplin in the no.10 role. Think it suits both players
Celina....room for improvement? on 20:43 - Nov 17 with 1892 viewsNthsuffolkblue

No player is going to single-handedly win every game. He has been very influential fairly often and I don't think he has put in a particularly poor performance in any match (maybe except one when he first arrived - in a cup possibly?).

Does Ronaldo or Messi single-handedly win every match they play in? Maybe I expected less than most but I have been pleased with how a player who has recently recovered from very serious after-effects of Covid has played.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Celina....room for improvement? on 20:51 - Nov 17 with 1847 viewsitfc_bucks

If he added that level of consistency to his game, he wouldn't be playing for us.

He's about as good as we could possibly hope for, at our level.

And that's plenty.
Celina....room for improvement? on 20:57 - Nov 17 with 1830 viewsSwansea_Blue

Maybe, but several clubs have tried to unlock the potential he showed early on over the last 5 seasons or so. What we’re seeing is no different to what he showed down here with Swansea for 18 months or so. He’s very much in the senior pro camp now he’s in his mid-20s, so should be in his prime. The consistency thing has been hanging over him his whole career.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Celina....room for improvement? on 21:02 - Nov 17 with 1814 viewsStokieBlue

Celina....room for improvement? on 20:57 - Nov 17 by Swansea_Blue

Maybe, but several clubs have tried to unlock the potential he showed early on over the last 5 seasons or so. What we’re seeing is no different to what he showed down here with Swansea for 18 months or so. He’s very much in the senior pro camp now he’s in his mid-20s, so should be in his prime. The consistency thing has been hanging over him his whole career.

Looking at the stats I posted earlier though, has he been that inconsistent thus far? I don't think he has been in the matches and the stats look decent.

I think some of our fanbase seem to want him to run around like Morsy whilst unlocking defences with every pass, it's simply not going to happen but for me he's doing enough in games at the moment.

He seems to have attracted the inconsistent tag due to the above.

SB
[Post edited 17 Nov 2021 21:03]

Celina....room for improvement? on 21:06 - Nov 17 with 1774 viewsfooters

One of our best players and still people want to pick holes.

Fck sake.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Celina....room for improvement? on 21:18 - Nov 17 with 1740 viewsOldboy

Except for a couple, think you could say that about the entire squad. Celina should be out left. Think Cook is struggling to find his squad out yet. Quite a bit of swapping and changing. Celina left and Aluko on the right for me. Not saying anything negative or pointing the finger at the players or manager, but improvement is still needed by most.
Celina....room for improvement? on 21:27 - Nov 17 with 1707 viewsSwansea_Blue

Celina....room for improvement? on 21:02 - Nov 17 by StokieBlue

Looking at the stats I posted earlier though, has he been that inconsistent thus far? I don't think he has been in the matches and the stats look decent.

I think some of our fanbase seem to want him to run around like Morsy whilst unlocking defences with every pass, it's simply not going to happen but for me he's doing enough in games at the moment.

He seems to have attracted the inconsistent tag due to the above.

SB
[Post edited 17 Nov 2021 21:03]

He’s been fine for us and I don’t mind him being quiet for 30 mins if he then pops up with a winner or creates a winner. I was thinking more about his ability to step up as a player. His whole career people have been saying he’s got it and is a top player, yet clubs and coaches consistently disagree and now he’s in League 1. He’s not living up to the earlier hype imo. A bit JET-esque in that regard. We are lucky to have him though, don’t get me wrong. And if he is to step up and play at a higher level I think he needs to do it through growing with a team and getting promoted that way. I just can see teams making a big money move to take him up the leagues.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Celina....room for improvement? on 19:04 - Nov 18 with 1447 viewsMaySixth

Celina....room for improvement? on 20:51 - Nov 17 by itfc_bucks

If he added that level of consistency to his game, he wouldn't be playing for us.

He's about as good as we could possibly hope for, at our level.

And that's plenty.

Fair point.

Celina....room for improvement? on 19:27 - Nov 18 with 1425 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Celina....room for improvement? on 19:22 - Nov 17 by StochesStotasBlewe

Nowhere near his best performance level.......yet.

Many wayward passes and losing possession far too often against Oxford. He will, though, get much better with game time.

He looked excellent when he came at Plymouth and then at Wycombe.

He'll score us vital goals when we need them and that's what sets him apart. The Wycombe one being a good example. We'd be singing his praises had the shot against Oxford gone in but he was poor in that game really.

I predict a Celina masterclass at Wembley.
Celina....room for improvement? on 20:06 - Nov 18 with 1392 viewsLeBlue

Celina....room for improvement? on 19:27 - Nov 18 by PrideOfTheEast

He looked excellent when he came at Plymouth and then at Wycombe.

He'll score us vital goals when we need them and that's what sets him apart. The Wycombe one being a good example. We'd be singing his praises had the shot against Oxford gone in but he was poor in that game really.

I predict a Celina masterclass at Wembley.

The Plymouth comment is spot on here. The tide changed in our favour with his finesse and directness when he came on. Should have got something out of that game but Celina was class, in my opinion.
Celina....room for improvement? on 21:01 - Nov 18 with 1332 viewsclive_baker

He was poor against Oxford IMO but it was an exception rather than the rule. Great touch and quality on the ball, can create and can score. Very dangerous at this level, but I too would have him on the left, Chaplin centrally and Burns right.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Celina....room for improvement? on 11:04 - Nov 19 with 1142 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Part of his 'problem' with stray passes is he's on a different level to his team mates sometimes and plays balls into where they SHOULD have run to, rather than actually did.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Celina....room for improvement? on 11:06 - Nov 19 with 1131 viewsStokieBlue

Celina....room for improvement? on 11:04 - Nov 19 by The_Flashing_Smile

Part of his 'problem' with stray passes is he's on a different level to his team mates sometimes and plays balls into where they SHOULD have run to, rather than actually did.

I agree that there is certainly an element on that.

If you look at the stats I posted though, he's made more passes and shown more accuracy in 11 matches than Burns has in 16. I don't think he's that stray with passes, I think they just look bad when they happen as they are usually first-time or ambitious passes.

SB

Celina....room for improvement? on 11:07 - Nov 19 with 1128 viewstractorboy1978

Celina....room for improvement? on 21:01 - Nov 18 by clive_baker

He was poor against Oxford IMO but it was an exception rather than the rule. Great touch and quality on the ball, can create and can score. Very dangerous at this level, but I too would have him on the left, Chaplin centrally and Burns right.

He has a tendency to try and over play it and lacks selfishness, which is odd considering he was the polar opposite here when on loan a few seasons back! He's had the ball in similar and better positions to his first goal at Wycombe several times, and tried to find a pass when he just needed to unleash a shot.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2021 11:08]
Celina....room for improvement? on 11:12 - Nov 19 with 1105 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Celina....room for improvement? on 11:06 - Nov 19 by StokieBlue

I agree that there is certainly an element on that.

If you look at the stats I posted though, he's made more passes and shown more accuracy in 11 matches than Burns has in 16. I don't think he's that stray with passes, I think they just look bad when they happen as they are usually first-time or ambitious passes.

SB

Oh yeah totally agree. I was backing up your point really, in that the few that do go wrong often are just his vision being a bit cleverer than other players.

What a difference it is to see a player trying ambitious passes compared to a lot of the safe, sideways stuff we've seen not so long ago. I'd much rather see ambitious stuff fail than safety passes that just waste a bit more time.

Celina....room for improvement? on 21:44 - Nov 20 with 879 viewsMaySixth

Celina....room for improvement? on 11:12 - Nov 19 by The_Flashing_Smile

Oh yeah totally agree. I was backing up your point really, in that the few that do go wrong often are just his vision being a bit cleverer than other players.

What a difference it is to see a player trying ambitious passes compared to a lot of the safe, sideways stuff we've seen not so long ago. I'd much rather see ambitious stuff fail than safety passes that just waste a bit more time.

I'd rather see chances taken

Celina....room for improvement? on 21:54 - Nov 20 with 852 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Celina....room for improvement? on 21:44 - Nov 20 by MaySixth

Celina, from what I have seen, flatters to deceive.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Celina....room for improvement? on 07:52 - Nov 21 with 756 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Celina....room for improvement? on 21:44 - Nov 20 by MaySixth

I'd rather have candied bacon for breakfast but that's not really relevant to what we were discussing either.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024