Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Walton update 10:41 - Dec 13 with 5091 viewsSomethingBlue

From best-connected Brighton journalist:

Doesn't sound great does it, he is excellent and would love him to stay. But I also think a few things are going to be uprooted this January whatever happens and we might just have to go with it.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2021 10:41]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Walton update on 11:41 - Dec 13 with 1052 viewsPhilTWTD

Walton update on 11:24 - Dec 13 by jayessess

Transfermarkt still has him expiring in the Summer and this article has him not up for signing a new one: http://www.wearebrighton.com/newsopinion/goodnight-christian-walton-set-to-leave

Ah, just realised his four-year deal was up in the summer that's just gone, for some reason I'd read it as up this coming summer. So he did sign for another year before he joined up meaning he is out of contract in the summer.
Walton update on 11:42 - Dec 13 with 1042 viewsPhilTWTD

Walton update on 11:20 - Dec 13 by iamipswich

Phil do you know what sort of chunk of his wages we are already paying as part of the loan deal?

A fair chunk I would guess. But that's only a guess.
Walton update on 11:45 - Dec 13 with 1017 viewsitfc48

From what we've seen so far he's a very good stopper with good handling skills and decent command of his area. His big weakness however is his kicking and in the modern game, a keeper who's poor with his feet is unlikely to get a chance in the Prem and maybe even top end of the Championship.
Walton update on 11:47 - Dec 13 with 1003 viewsPhilTWTD

Walton update on 11:41 - Dec 13 by PhilTWTD

Ah, just realised his four-year deal was up in the summer that's just gone, for some reason I'd read it as up this coming summer. So he did sign for another year before he joined up meaning he is out of contract in the summer.

Seen a suggestion that it was an option that was taken in the summer.
Walton update on 11:56 - Dec 13 with 969 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Walton update on 11:45 - Dec 13 by itfc48

From what we've seen so far he's a very good stopper with good handling skills and decent command of his area. His big weakness however is his kicking and in the modern game, a keeper who's poor with his feet is unlikely to get a chance in the Prem and maybe even top end of the Championship.

Agree. Despite making some good saves at Charlton his kicking was awful. It was much better on Saturday to be fair.

I'm not convinced he does command his area particularly well - in particular from set plays.
Walton update on 16:16 - Dec 13 with 822 viewsWickets

Walton update on 10:57 - Dec 13 by jayessess

The logic is a bit funky here though, isn't it?

Brighton would've been in a reasonable bargaining position to sell him in the Summer, with a year left on his contract. Evidently they couldn't find a suitor at any price. We're now 6 months on and their position is worse. Walton's 6 months from a free transfer and a juicy signing on fee, so has no motivation to take any move they negotiate for him.

I can't see how Brighton reckon they're suddenly going to be in a position to demand a permanent fee that we couldn't pay and that someone else will?
[Post edited 13 Dec 2021 10:58]

Yes i tend to agree most players especially if in demand love their contract to run down .
Walton update on 16:28 - Dec 13 with 788 viewschicoazul

Walton update on 11:45 - Dec 13 by itfc48

Truly amazing to think now that a keeper who is a “very good stopper” is not good enough for above mid-Championship standard.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Walton update on 16:34 - Dec 13 with 756 viewsBeckets

Walton update on 16:28 - Dec 13 by chicoazul

Truly amazing to think now that a keeper who is a “very good stopper” is not good enough for above mid-Championship standard.

Him and Edmundsen look the two Championship quality players we have.
Login to get fewer ads

Walton update on 16:54 - Dec 13 with 697 viewsWeWereZombies

Walton update on 16:34 - Dec 13 by Beckets

Him and Edmundsen look the two Championship quality players we have.

Of all the Cook signings who we have seen come in but many of whom we would be indifferent to if they left he is clearly the keeper, although technically Hladký is the permanent keeper...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Walton update on 18:56 - Dec 13 with 589 viewsDavoIPB

Walton update on 11:56 - Dec 13 by PrideOfTheEast

Agree. Despite making some good saves at Charlton his kicking was awful. It was much better on Saturday to be fair.

I'm not convinced he does command his area particularly well - in particular from set plays.

He certainly does command the area. Better than any other keeper in lge 1
Walton update on 19:44 - Dec 13 with 534 viewsGOSBTS

Suffolk based Brighton fan here. Christian is an interesting one. He’s one of Brighton’s long-term projects that hasn’t worked out - which is unusual for us. He’s gone up through the leagues on loan moves, only to stall in the Championship and now going in the wrong direction in terms of progression. I think most Albion fans thought we’d see him as No. 1 one day - but it isn’t to be. He’d be 4th choice behind Sanchez, Steele and Scherpen. Sounds like if the price is right we’d be more than happy to sell and I think it’d work excellently for all parties.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024