Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your three underrated albums 10:43 - Feb 19 with 2924 viewsGlasgowBlue

OK we've done your three overrated albums. So now the three underrated.

The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society - The Kinks (1968)

A complete flop at the time by a band who were out of step with the times. Now held up as a work of genius. And rightly so.

McCartney II - Paul McCartney (1980)

Like 1970’s McCartney, self produced and all instruments (although this the synths) played by Macca. An album that divided the critics at the time but now championed by the likes of Mark Ronson and has a cult following. The above track invents the Gorillaz twenty years before Damon Albarn did.

The Dreaming - Kate Bush (1982)

Like McCarney II, an album that is not looking for commercial success. When released everyone thought she was committing commercial suicide but now people say that without the Dreaming there would have been no Hounds of Love. No two songs sound the same. It’s an album I never tire of listening to. Absolutely brilliantly bonkers.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2022 7:59]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

[Redacted] on 12:17 - Feb 20 with 769 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Your three underrated albums on 15:49 - Feb 20 with 712 viewsreusersfreekicks

OMD - Dazzleships
Laurie Anderson - Strange Angels
Eels - End Times
Your three underrated albums on 17:10 - Feb 20 with 682 viewsWhos_blue

I couldn't really decide. It might be a different 3 tomorrow!

1. World Party - Bang.

I just have no idea how or why this band are not more well know or regarded.
Karl Wallinger is a great song writer and they were always a great live act. The songwriting on this is just excellent. So many great tunes and a ripped off Who riff to boot on Sunshine.

2. The Who - WHO

Criminally overlooked album from late 2019. The songwriting and music are exceptional and sit without shame in The Who canon. The band experimented with some very interesting themes and it always amazes me that the Stones are lauded for their relentless identikit releases, but new music from The Who doesn't receive the same fanfare.
Although not part of my 3, I'd also like to give honourable mentions to Face dances and It's Hard. There are some superb tracks spread across those two post Moon albums, but they are always unfairly compared to the Moon era output.

3. Paul Weller - Paul Weller

Often (unfairly) much maligned these days as churning out soundalike dad rock, but I think that is lazy. Fat Pop still showed a man with plenty to say and I can't wait to see him live again this year.
Regarding his debut. He was washed up and written off as a no good has been. In fact, what he released was two sides of epic beauty. Every single tune is pure class.
I'm a massive fan and love all of his output. He'd hate it if I told him this, but I think it's one of the greatest things he's ever done. This nestles right near the top of my favourite albums list.

A bit off topic, but for most underrated usual genre, I'll go for the Acid Jazz scene of the early 90s.

Glorious times!
[Post edited 20 Feb 2022 17:21]

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Your three underrated albums on 18:24 - Feb 20 with 645 viewsHatStand

New Radicals - maybe you've been brainwashed too

Poll: Piers Morgan / Marmite

Your three underrated albums on 18:36 - Feb 20 with 638 viewsGlasgowBlue

Your three underrated albums on 17:10 - Feb 20 by Whos_blue

I couldn't really decide. It might be a different 3 tomorrow!

1. World Party - Bang.

I just have no idea how or why this band are not more well know or regarded.
Karl Wallinger is a great song writer and they were always a great live act. The songwriting on this is just excellent. So many great tunes and a ripped off Who riff to boot on Sunshine.

2. The Who - WHO

Criminally overlooked album from late 2019. The songwriting and music are exceptional and sit without shame in The Who canon. The band experimented with some very interesting themes and it always amazes me that the Stones are lauded for their relentless identikit releases, but new music from The Who doesn't receive the same fanfare.
Although not part of my 3, I'd also like to give honourable mentions to Face dances and It's Hard. There are some superb tracks spread across those two post Moon albums, but they are always unfairly compared to the Moon era output.

3. Paul Weller - Paul Weller

Often (unfairly) much maligned these days as churning out soundalike dad rock, but I think that is lazy. Fat Pop still showed a man with plenty to say and I can't wait to see him live again this year.
Regarding his debut. He was washed up and written off as a no good has been. In fact, what he released was two sides of epic beauty. Every single tune is pure class.
I'm a massive fan and love all of his output. He'd hate it if I told him this, but I think it's one of the greatest things he's ever done. This nestles right near the top of my favourite albums list.

A bit off topic, but for most underrated usual genre, I'll go for the Acid Jazz scene of the early 90s.

Glorious times!
[Post edited 20 Feb 2022 17:21]

A great shout for the Paul Weller debut album. It's overshadowed by its follow up, Wild Wood, but is a great listen. Uh huh oh yeah sounded like nothing Weller had done before. The Japanese issue of the album is even better as it has 'Here's a New Thing' on it.

Max Beesley on keyboards in that clip.

Re the acid jazz scene. Absolutely love Incognito and The Brand New Heavies, who still put out quality albums today, plus The Young Disciples. Jamiroquai get overlooked because they went on to have more commercial success than the others.

Of course acid jazz grew out of the mod scene and was pioneered by the aforementioned Eddie Piller.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2022 18:53]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Your three underrated albums on 23:22 - Feb 20 with 596 viewsMattinLondon

Blur - The Great Escape

Maybe a strange choice to add to the underrated category - primarily as it sold a lot of copies. But it is ridiculed by many (due to the Country House connection) as being too poppy. And ignored by many in favour of the bands more acclaimed albums. But this is a fantastic record.

Whipping Boy -Heartworm.

A band so underrated that not only did they not obtain the success that they deserved but ‘Heartworm’ is almost forgotten. It’s an album rich is emotion and ability. It should be considered one of the finest British and Irish records of the 90s but it’s not. I can’t actually find an image of the album itself which I can post but instead one of their videos is on this thread instead.

Longpigs-The Sun is often out.

Not sure if this falls into the underrated category or not. Sort of forgotten and overlooked by their 90s peers. A raw and honest record that should be talked about more than what it is.
Your three underrated albums on 00:18 - Feb 21 with 576 viewsWhos_blue

Your three underrated albums on 18:36 - Feb 20 by GlasgowBlue

A great shout for the Paul Weller debut album. It's overshadowed by its follow up, Wild Wood, but is a great listen. Uh huh oh yeah sounded like nothing Weller had done before. The Japanese issue of the album is even better as it has 'Here's a New Thing' on it.

Max Beesley on keyboards in that clip.

Re the acid jazz scene. Absolutely love Incognito and The Brand New Heavies, who still put out quality albums today, plus The Young Disciples. Jamiroquai get overlooked because they went on to have more commercial success than the others.

Of course acid jazz grew out of the mod scene and was pioneered by the aforementioned Eddie Piller.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2022 18:53]

I used to have that Paul Weller Movement gig on VHS. I remember he opened with Tin Soldier as Steve Marriot had just died.

To add to the Acid Jazz scene, Corduroy, The James Taylor Quartet and Mother Earth.
Although on the Talkin Loud label, I loved Galliano too.
Had some great nights watching all of these.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Your three underrated albums on 07:45 - Feb 21 with 528 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine - Starry Eyed And BoIIock Naked.

It's a B-sides album, so a pretty eclectic collection, but that's partly why I love it - veering from the mad punk of R.S.P.C.E to the beautiful Her Song without any real reason, and packed with all manner of treats besides.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Login to get fewer ads

Your three underrated albums on 10:32 - Feb 21 with 483 viewshoppy

The Seahorses - Do It Yourself

The House of Love - The House of Love

The Sundays - Reading, Writing & Arithmetic

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Your three underrated albums on 10:41 - Feb 21 with 478 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Your three underrated albums on 10:32 - Feb 21 by hoppy

The Seahorses - Do It Yourself

The House of Love - The House of Love

The Sundays - Reading, Writing & Arithmetic

I was tempted to put all 3 Sundays albums as my choices. Hugely underrated band.

"Live for a job and the perfect behind" is a great lyric!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Your three underrated albums on 11:18 - Feb 21 with 460 viewsElephantintheRoom

Dark Side of the Moon by Medicine Head (1972). The title was right - only the music prevented it becoming a global sensation

And any album by Haverhill's finest, Groundhogs, was underated.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024