Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RTs been taken off the air then 15:53 - Mar 2 with 3059 viewsBent_double

I was just sitting here, watching RT to get an honest, balanced view of what's going on in the world - especially how innocent civilians have been decapitated by the evil Ukrainian government and how NATO has caused all the problems in Libya, Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq and now Ukraine, just so they can launch an 'unanswerable' attack on Russia - and suddenly the channel disappears, scrambled or unavailable, apparently.

What is the world coming to? Where am I going to get a fair and balanced view on the current situation now, apart from TWTD of course...

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

RTs been taken off the air then on 23:40 - Mar 2 with 704 viewsDarth_Koont

RTs been taken off the air then on 23:08 - Mar 2 by GlasgowBlue

They aren’t going to be very successful at lobbying if they shut the press and public out of their meetings.

The press have been no help at all. As you know.

They reported it themselves. Which views did you disagree with and why?

Keep being on the wrong side of history. It’s always reassuring to see.

Pronouns: He/Him

RTs been taken off the air then on 01:07 - Mar 3 with 657 viewsTheMoralMajority

RTs been taken off the air then on 20:09 - Mar 2 by jeera

Although I wanted to see the channel removed here it wasn't a UK decision according to Ch.4 news earlier.

But an EU one or something.

This is correct. RT coming off air is fallout from the EU decision. Freeview/Cable/Satellite into the UK is all handled from a centralised location in Luxembourg (I think). When they killed the feed for the EU, it killed the feed to us. This has had nothing to do with UK action.

Indeed, the UK Government can't cut off RT (afaik), we have independent regulators for that because, y'know, we live in a democracy.

On a purely selfish and personal note, it has annoyed me that it has gone off air, as I like to see the bs that they are peddling to their citizens in the hope to try to gain some semblance of understanding of this whole sorry state of affairs.

...but do signatures really work?

RTs been taken off the air then on 07:44 - Mar 3 with 596 viewsChurchman

RTs been taken off the air then on 01:07 - Mar 3 by TheMoralMajority

This is correct. RT coming off air is fallout from the EU decision. Freeview/Cable/Satellite into the UK is all handled from a centralised location in Luxembourg (I think). When they killed the feed for the EU, it killed the feed to us. This has had nothing to do with UK action.

Indeed, the UK Government can't cut off RT (afaik), we have independent regulators for that because, y'know, we live in a democracy.

On a purely selfish and personal note, it has annoyed me that it has gone off air, as I like to see the bs that they are peddling to their citizens in the hope to try to gain some semblance of understanding of this whole sorry state of affairs.

I would have left it on air. It was a free window into what Putin and his little gang were thinking and peddling. From the bits I saw it was bizarre. There again, the fact that they happily employed a ludicrous windbag like Salmond meant it was never going to be anything else.
RTs been taken off the air then on 09:34 - Mar 3 with 549 viewsjeera

RTs been taken off the air then on 07:44 - Mar 3 by Churchman

I would have left it on air. It was a free window into what Putin and his little gang were thinking and peddling. From the bits I saw it was bizarre. There again, the fact that they happily employed a ludicrous windbag like Salmond meant it was never going to be anything else.

But surely that's because it wasn't aimed at you, (me, us etc).

I'd be more concerned about its propaganda being absorbed by people who are more susceptible to its bias.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

RTs been taken off the air then on 09:40 - Mar 3 with 532 viewsSteve_M

RTs been taken off the air then on 23:08 - Mar 2 by GlasgowBlue

They aren’t going to be very successful at lobbying if they shut the press and public out of their meetings.

Pure Russian propaganda line:

Stop some wars....

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

RTs been taken off the air then on 10:06 - Mar 3 with 509 viewsDarth_Koont

RTs been taken off the air then on 09:40 - Mar 3 by Steve_M

Pure Russian propaganda line:

Stop some wars....

The article seems fair enough despite the overly provocative headline. As for the printouts, yes these look way off base and Putinesque – and if we complain about far-right tendencies in that region then there aren’t many free from those associations. It’s still a feature of society that’s a few decades back on many social values and ideologies.

But Lee Harpin? Are we sure it wasn’t him printing and handing these out? Check him out if you haven’t already.

Anyway, those views weren’t expressed inside the hall and we have no idea who was handing these amateur efforts out.

RTs been taken off the air then on 10:14 - Mar 3 with 485 viewslowhouseblue

RTs been taken off the air then on 10:06 - Mar 3 by Darth_Koont

The article seems fair enough despite the overly provocative headline. As for the printouts, yes these look way off base and Putinesque – and if we complain about far-right tendencies in that region then there aren’t many free from those associations. It’s still a feature of society that’s a few decades back on many social values and ideologies.

But Lee Harpin? Are we sure it wasn’t him printing and handing these out? Check him out if you haven’t already.

Anyway, those views weren’t expressed inside the hall and we have no idea who was handing these amateur efforts out.

"The article seems fair enough despite the overly provocative headline"

first para: "The West's expansion has brought us to the brink of war." which is of course the line of reasoning of which everyone has been accusing you. it's not a question of what campaign line for a pacifist to adopt - it's a question of what you believe. you, however weasely you dress it up, believe that the impetus for war came from the west and nato. you have swallowed russian propaganda whole.

at least now you've finally admitted it.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

RTs been taken off the air then on 10:25 - Mar 3 with 463 viewsDarth_Koont

RTs been taken off the air then on 10:14 - Mar 3 by lowhouseblue

"The article seems fair enough despite the overly provocative headline"

first para: "The West's expansion has brought us to the brink of war." which is of course the line of reasoning of which everyone has been accusing you. it's not a question of what campaign line for a pacifist to adopt - it's a question of what you believe. you, however weasely you dress it up, believe that the impetus for war came from the west and nato. you have swallowed russian propaganda whole.

at least now you've finally admitted it.

You disagree with that. I don’t.

And it doesn’t remotely absolve Putin in this or say that he isn’t the biggest destabilizing force in the region. But it’s certainly what Stop The War can and should argue against our own side to try and prevent escalation.

You refusing to understand their concerns, their viewpoint or their remit as a DOMESTIC anti-war movement in the West doesn’t change the reality.

Login to get fewer ads

RTs been taken off the air then on 11:27 - Mar 3 with 434 viewslowhouseblue

RTs been taken off the air then on 10:25 - Mar 3 by Darth_Koont

You disagree with that. I don’t.

And it doesn’t remotely absolve Putin in this or say that he isn’t the biggest destabilizing force in the region. But it’s certainly what Stop The War can and should argue against our own side to try and prevent escalation.

You refusing to understand their concerns, their viewpoint or their remit as a DOMESTIC anti-war movement in the West doesn’t change the reality.

again, it's fine for a group to oppose war.
what i am highlighting is your, and their, analysis that the actions of the west have been the cause of the conflict. "The West's expansion has brought us to the brink of war."
that's the false equivalence that is at the heart of all you post. that is the point i've been making.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

RTs been taken off the air then on 11:49 - Mar 3 with 408 viewsDarth_Koont

RTs been taken off the air then on 11:27 - Mar 3 by lowhouseblue

again, it's fine for a group to oppose war.
what i am highlighting is your, and their, analysis that the actions of the west have been the cause of the conflict. "The West's expansion has brought us to the brink of war."
that's the false equivalence that is at the heart of all you post. that is the point i've been making.

In a discussion of the reasons that brought us here, I think that NATO expansionism has been a factor.

Guthers posted about it yesterday but I think a lot of people skated over it. With Putin’s known irredentism then we have to think about actions that are wise rather than necessarily right or righteous. Because that’s the situation we’re dealing with, whether or not we think Putin’s claims to Ukraine are ridiculous and ultimately illegal (they are).

But the result is we have helped force a situation by repeating the assertion over more than a decade that it’s Ukraine’s right to choose and nothing to do with Russia or their security concerns. Indeed that we’ll open the door for that to happen.

You could easily argue that this has been naive and that Ukraine was better off and more independent without that.

There’s no easy answer to Putin obviously. But we’ve reached war in the Ukraine anyway with our approach. Just maybe other avenues and less cosying up to Putin in other areas would have weakened him rather than bolstering him. And we certainly should have been exhibiting higher standards of our own around the world over past decades. But there seems to be an all too prevalent opinion that our side a) knows what we are doing and b) is right despite us also entering into illegal wars.

Condemn Putin as we must. But refuse to examine our own actions and values and we’re still part of the problem, not the solution.

RTs been taken off the air then on 13:34 - Mar 3 with 359 viewslowhouseblue

RTs been taken off the air then on 11:49 - Mar 3 by Darth_Koont

In a discussion of the reasons that brought us here, I think that NATO expansionism has been a factor.

Guthers posted about it yesterday but I think a lot of people skated over it. With Putin’s known irredentism then we have to think about actions that are wise rather than necessarily right or righteous. Because that’s the situation we’re dealing with, whether or not we think Putin’s claims to Ukraine are ridiculous and ultimately illegal (they are).

But the result is we have helped force a situation by repeating the assertion over more than a decade that it’s Ukraine’s right to choose and nothing to do with Russia or their security concerns. Indeed that we’ll open the door for that to happen.

You could easily argue that this has been naive and that Ukraine was better off and more independent without that.

There’s no easy answer to Putin obviously. But we’ve reached war in the Ukraine anyway with our approach. Just maybe other avenues and less cosying up to Putin in other areas would have weakened him rather than bolstering him. And we certainly should have been exhibiting higher standards of our own around the world over past decades. But there seems to be an all too prevalent opinion that our side a) knows what we are doing and b) is right despite us also entering into illegal wars.

Condemn Putin as we must. But refuse to examine our own actions and values and we’re still part of the problem, not the solution.

that's all very nice, but the ideologically blinkered gymnastics which are required to get you to statements like "we have helped force a situation by repeating the assertion over more than a decade that it’s Ukraine’s right to choose" are quite astonishing. you really do need to unpick the ideology that has brought you to that point.

RTs been taken off the air then on 13:44 - Mar 3 with 340 viewsDarth_Koont

RTs been taken off the air then on 13:34 - Mar 3 by lowhouseblue

that's all very nice, but the ideologically blinkered gymnastics which are required to get you to statements like "we have helped force a situation by repeating the assertion over more than a decade that it’s Ukraine’s right to choose" are quite astonishing. you really do need to unpick the ideology that has brought you to that point.

No, I don’t. It’s perfectly clear in the context of Ukraine/Russia.

Pretending it’s about unquestionable rights and righteousness is utterly delusional with Putin on the other side.

And I get accused of living in an ideologically pure dream world …

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024