Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I am sure it's been mentioned already. But anyway, Bannan? 09:28 - Apr 25 with 1518 viewsSTYG

Seriously?

It's a meaningless competition and we could do without an award sticking another £250k on Santi's price lol. But I actually laughed out loud when I saw Bannan had won Goal of the Season.

In my view he's the best player in League One and what a great goal. But come on. The ball fell for him perfectly, he was facing the goal, the keeper was miles off his line and I'd say 20% of professional players score that goal with their first attempt there. Probably all of them manage that in 5 attempts.

Santi's however is different gravy. Cantona scored a similar chip and people still cream over it 25 years later. Celina did that after perfectly controlling a 50 yard pass on the run! I reckon if you tried to get players to recreate that there are only a few that would even come close to doing it if you gave them 10 attempts.

Then there's Cole Stockton, whose third best goal was nominated instead of his other two. All three were better than Bannan. In fact the one at Fleetwood, he lobbed the keeper from 20 yards further out than Bannan after holding off a defender and having a second to see the keeper off his line, rather than the several Bannan had to assess things and the fact the ball was already sitting up for him.

Anyway. I'm not bothered about it!
I am sure it's been mentioned already. But anyway, Bannan? on 09:33 - Apr 25 with 1472 viewsN2_Blue

well it's not really surprising when the people running the competition don't even understand some of the skill of Celina's goal.

In the EFL reel of the six goals they play a replay for each goal. In Celina's replay they don't even include the touch to kill the ball dead, they only include the chip.

Bannan's goal won because it's most recent and he played in the prem for Villa so people will have heard of him....that's how these things work right?

I don't think Bannan's was even the 2nd best goal of the 6, ridiculous.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

I am sure it's been mentioned already. But anyway, Bannan? on 09:42 - Apr 25 with 1432 viewsRegencyBlue

Fundamentally he spotted the keeper off his line and wellied it!

As others have said I don't think it’s even the second best goal but such is life.
I am sure it's been mentioned already. But anyway, Bannan? on 09:54 - Apr 25 with 1372 viewsJakeITFC

I really like the Mowatt goal.
I am sure it's been mentioned already. But anyway, Bannan? on 10:24 - Apr 25 with 1289 viewsRobTheMonk

Celina had the best goal. Every season you'll see a Bannan like goal. You rarely see one like Celina scores.
I am sure it's been mentioned already. But anyway, Bannan? on 10:48 - Apr 25 with 1204 viewsSTYG

I am sure it's been mentioned already. But anyway, Bannan? on 09:42 - Apr 25 by RegencyBlue

Fundamentally he spotted the keeper off his line and wellied it!

As others have said I don't think it’s even the second best goal but such is life.

It's a mystery how the judging panel of ex-Sheffield Wednesday player Andy Hinchcliffe, ex-Sheffield Wednesday player Clinton Morrison, ex-Sheffield Wednesday manager Trevor Francis and Owly The Owl came to such a conclusion*

*I assume that judging panel would be the only thing that explains it. Every other goal nominated was better / harder. For context, I've scored three goals from the half-way line or thereabouts in my career (well two just outside the centre circle) and all three were more difficult to score from. Especially given the amount of mud I had to avoid in the goalmouth at Eastward Ho!

If I tried to do what Andre Gray did, I'd have knocked myself out kicking it into my own face. If I tried to control it like Celina I'd have stood on the ball and been out for a year.
I am sure it's been mentioned already. But anyway, Bannan? on 10:58 - Apr 25 with 1149 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I am sure it's been mentioned already. But anyway, Bannan? on 10:48 - Apr 25 by STYG

It's a mystery how the judging panel of ex-Sheffield Wednesday player Andy Hinchcliffe, ex-Sheffield Wednesday player Clinton Morrison, ex-Sheffield Wednesday manager Trevor Francis and Owly The Owl came to such a conclusion*

*I assume that judging panel would be the only thing that explains it. Every other goal nominated was better / harder. For context, I've scored three goals from the half-way line or thereabouts in my career (well two just outside the centre circle) and all three were more difficult to score from. Especially given the amount of mud I had to avoid in the goalmouth at Eastward Ho!

If I tried to do what Andre Gray did, I'd have knocked myself out kicking it into my own face. If I tried to control it like Celina I'd have stood on the ball and been out for a year.

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

I am sure it's been mentioned already. But anyway, Bannan? on 11:14 - Apr 25 with 1087 viewsSTYG

I am sure it's been mentioned already. But anyway, Bannan? on 10:58 - Apr 25 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I have a couple of 'football friends' on here that can possibly confirm lol.

Seriously though. I'd say half the people on this board, if presented with a ball sitting up, facing it straight on and having a keeper so far off his line, would have scored or come close to that.

Looks a great goal but was nowhere near the likes of Beckham, Rooney (twice), Matt Taylor or Figueroa was it. It was an obvious finish that a lot of us would have scored similar (especially on Sunday's when games end 8-5 and the keeper concerned is 20st)
I am sure it's been mentioned already. But anyway, Bannan? on 11:23 - Apr 25 with 1051 viewsFixed_It

I am sure it's been mentioned already. But anyway, Bannan? on 11:14 - Apr 25 by STYG

I have a couple of 'football friends' on here that can possibly confirm lol.

Seriously though. I'd say half the people on this board, if presented with a ball sitting up, facing it straight on and having a keeper so far off his line, would have scored or come close to that.

Looks a great goal but was nowhere near the likes of Beckham, Rooney (twice), Matt Taylor or Figueroa was it. It was an obvious finish that a lot of us would have scored similar (especially on Sunday's when games end 8-5 and the keeper concerned is 20st)

It was good. But it certainly wasn't a thing of sheer quality and beauty like Celina's was.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Login to get fewer ads

I am sure it's been mentioned already. But anyway, Bannan? on 14:17 - Apr 25 with 773 viewsBlueNomad

The thing is WE know. It was a thing of beauty and one that will be talked about for years, and future generations of Town fans will learn of it.

Bannon's goal is the type that gets scored every season and will be forgotten over the mists of time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024