Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where's Brenner? (n/t) 12:40 - Apr 30 with 5485 viewsKeno

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 10:14 - May 2 with 1816 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 09:42 - May 2 by Whos_blue

I don't always understand the issue people have with BW. I always find him to be a very professional and well researched commentator.
MM does have his little "y'know" verbal tick, but it's always great to hear his insight.
Many clubs would love to have a bone fide club legend providing regular co-comentary.
I'll miss them both if this is end.

Opinion is split on him and has been for a long while. He is a good commentator, and certainly does his research before games.

I suspect that some of the negativity is due to people judging him when purely listening to the radio, while others have the benefit of watching the game on iFollow. I do the latter and am able to see when he clearly made a mistake or when his opinion of a player's performance differs from that of mine.

I personally never quite understood how he could be quite critical of the team during his commentaries, but give the manager such an easy ride in the post match interviews. Many fans get irked by his excitement for opposition attacks and goals. Lastly, I am not sure that he has always respected the ipswich fans or as he once called them "the great unwashed".

I agree with your last point. If Ipswich TV is to be successful, it would be helpful to have co-commentators like Millsy on board.
Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 10:22 - May 2 with 1796 viewsbilllm

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 19:34 - May 1 by MattinLondon

Well obviously he’s biased to Ipswich, that kinda goes without saying.

My ears must decide me then the joy he gets when we concede is deafening,
Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 14:35 - May 2 with 1692 viewsMattinLondon

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 10:22 - May 2 by billlm

My ears must decide me then the joy he gets when we concede is deafening,

He gets no joy when Ipswich concede.
Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 15:00 - May 2 with 1671 viewsFifeITFC

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 14:35 - May 2 by MattinLondon

He gets no joy when Ipswich concede.

Doesn't sound like it.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 15:13 - May 2 with 1660 viewsblueislander

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 10:14 - May 2 by FrankfurtBlue

Opinion is split on him and has been for a long while. He is a good commentator, and certainly does his research before games.

I suspect that some of the negativity is due to people judging him when purely listening to the radio, while others have the benefit of watching the game on iFollow. I do the latter and am able to see when he clearly made a mistake or when his opinion of a player's performance differs from that of mine.

I personally never quite understood how he could be quite critical of the team during his commentaries, but give the manager such an easy ride in the post match interviews. Many fans get irked by his excitement for opposition attacks and goals. Lastly, I am not sure that he has always respected the ipswich fans or as he once called them "the great unwashed".

I agree with your last point. If Ipswich TV is to be successful, it would be helpful to have co-commentators like Millsy on board.

The problem local reporters have when interviewing the manager is that they could find themselves excluded from access if they are over-critical. I think Mr.Ham can verify this.
Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 15:50 - May 2 with 1628 viewsAbujaBlue

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 15:13 - May 2 by blueislander

The problem local reporters have when interviewing the manager is that they could find themselves excluded from access if they are over-critical. I think Mr.Ham can verify this.

In fairness that happened under Lambert, who behaved tyrannical in his latter days.
Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 15:59 - May 2 with 1618 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 15:13 - May 2 by blueislander

I understand that, but I think he simply bottled it. Maybe if Brenner, on behalf of Radio Suffolk and it's listeners, had asked a few pertinent questions when it mattered, Phil might not have seemed like a lone voice, allowing the club/Lambert to pick on him.
Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 16:15 - May 2 with 1603 viewsRozz

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 15:59 - May 2 by FrankfurtBlue

I understand that, but I think he simply bottled it. Maybe if Brenner, on behalf of Radio Suffolk and it's listeners, had asked a few pertinent questions when it mattered, Phil might not have seemed like a lone voice, allowing the club/Lambert to pick on him.

People are completely rewriting history here. Phil was not banned because of negative reporting or tough questioning. TWTD was banned from press conferences because a forum user leaked a team sheet hours before KO, and Phil refused to break information protection policy to disclose the user's identity to the club.
Login to get fewer ads

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 16:25 - May 2 with 1580 viewsfranz_tyson

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 16:15 - May 2 by Rozz

People are completely rewriting history here. Phil was not banned because of negative reporting or tough questioning. TWTD was banned from press conferences because a forum user leaked a team sheet hours before KO, and Phil refused to break information protection policy to disclose the user's identity to the club.

That's correct.... and also because Phil gave dodgy weather forecasts to Stuart Taylor.
Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 17:26 - May 2 with 1558 viewsGavTWTD

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 19:27 - May 1 by DJR

I can see where you're coming from Gav, but I'd rather the insights of someone with Mick Mills' experience. The other issue with using current players is that they're not going to say, for example, that Burgess is having a shocker, or that the formation down the right isn't working. It was also interesting to hear Mick Mills say yesterday that he would sign Bonne. Coming from someone with his knowledge, I thought that fairly significant. But this sort of view isn't going to come from a current player. Bringing it in-house is presumably partly driven by the need to monetise things, but it does to an extent also smack of corporate branding, something which I am not really a fan of. Of course, I have no objection to things like Coffee Club, but when it comes to the coverage of games, I prefer a little more objectivity.
[Post edited 1 May 2022 19:30]

I'd call for variety, that's all. Nothing wrong with Edmundson one week, Mills and Mathie etc. You'll still be able to hear him on RS I expect also.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 19:30 - May 2 with 1493 viewsjonbull88

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 10:14 - May 2 by FrankfurtBlue

For me I love listening to Brenner. People forget Brenner wasn’t an Ipswich fan when he begun commentating on town games, I believe he is/was a Sheffield Wednesday fan originally. Also people should cut him some slack the bloke (paid or not) hasn’t missed many town games in nearly 20 odd years and there aren’t many that can say that!

I think he offered a fair assessment of how town are playing and rightfully gives the opposition praise if they play well, play a nice ball or score a nice goal. He is also critical of the town team when they play rubbish. The last thing I want is some novice screaming down the radio when the ball is passed 3 yards across the middle of the pitch.

Pop a screaming novice in and serve him the last 20 year and see if he’s still so excited after watching some of the utter dross we’ve watched.
Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 20:35 - May 2 with 1472 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 16:15 - May 2 by Rozz

You are right about Phil's ban, but the general point that Phil got a hard time at pressers because he was the lone voice remains. Going back as far as the McCarthy era, where Phil was treated poorly because he asked the critical questions, whilst Brenner was also critical of McCarthy*s tactics etc. in his commentaries, but was almost servile post match and in pressers.
Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 20:45 - May 2 with 1462 viewsjeera

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 18:15 - May 1 by BlueySwede

Awful commentary, shouting, over the top, bad sound quality. Bring bang Brenner and Mills/Mathie for next season.

"Bring bang Brenner"

I should think that's probably a very different show altogether.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 20:55 - May 2 with 1455 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 19:30 - May 2 by jonbull88

For me I love listening to Brenner. People forget Brenner wasn’t an Ipswich fan when he begun commentating on town games, I believe he is/was a Sheffield Wednesday fan originally. Also people should cut him some slack the bloke (paid or not) hasn’t missed many town games in nearly 20 odd years and there aren’t many that can say that!

I think he offered a fair assessment of how town are playing and rightfully gives the opposition praise if they play well, play a nice ball or score a nice goal. He is also critical of the town team when they play rubbish. The last thing I want is some novice screaming down the radio when the ball is passed 3 yards across the middle of the pitch.

Pop a screaming novice in and serve him the last 20 year and see if he’s still so excited after watching some of the utter dross we’ve watched.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying Brenner's commentary. However, there is nothing wrong with expressing valid criticisms either. He is a paid professional, as far as I know. He should be good, but many think he could and should be better.

Hope I haven`t misunderstood you, but you seem to be making all sorts of excuses for Brenner, but not for any "screaming novice"?
Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 21:58 - May 2 with 1432 viewsMattinLondon

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 15:00 - May 2 by FifeITFC

Doesn't sound like it.

You should get your hearing tested then.
Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 22:45 - May 2 with 1398 viewsFifeITFC

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 21:58 - May 2 by MattinLondon

You should get your hearing tested then.

Great reply. Brilliant.
[Post edited 2 May 2022 22:45]

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 10:53 - May 3 with 1292 viewsjonbull88

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 20:55 - May 2 by FrankfurtBlue

There is nothing wrong with enjoying Brenner's commentary. However, there is nothing wrong with expressing valid criticisms either. He is a paid professional, as far as I know. He should be good, but many think he could and should be better.

Hope I haven`t misunderstood you, but you seem to be making all sorts of excuses for Brenner, but not for any "screaming novice"?

How do you feel he should improve? He does a fair amount of research prior to the game and is usually good with names and stats, yes he has made a few mistakes over the years, but don’t we all.

The feeling I get when I see all the people wanting someone else to do the commentary is that they just want a commentator to wear blue tinted glasses all the time and show no emotion if the opposition score, yet spunk themselves silly after a 2 yard tap in for town.

For me brenner is the rob chandler of commentary, it’s nice to hear someone different every now and again, but the replacements overall are pretty poor.
Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 13:29 - May 3 with 1259 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 10:53 - May 3 by jonbull88

How do you feel he should improve? He does a fair amount of research prior to the game and is usually good with names and stats, yes he has made a few mistakes over the years, but don’t we all.

The feeling I get when I see all the people wanting someone else to do the commentary is that they just want a commentator to wear blue tinted glasses all the time and show no emotion if the opposition score, yet spunk themselves silly after a 2 yard tap in for town.

For me brenner is the rob chandler of commentary, it’s nice to hear someone different every now and again, but the replacements overall are pretty poor.

Sorry, we're going round in circles a bit here. You replied to the post that expressed my opinion on BW. Here cut and pasted for you:

I personally never quite understood how he could be quite critical of the team during his commentaries, but give the manager such an easy ride in the post match interviews. Many fans get irked by his excitement for opposition attacks and goals. Lastly, I am not sure that he has always respected the Ipswich fans or as he once called them "the great unwashed".
Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 13:48 - May 3 with 1238 viewsmarchy

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 13:29 - May 3 by FrankfurtBlue

Sorry, we're going round in circles a bit here. You replied to the post that expressed my opinion on BW. Here cut and pasted for you:

I personally never quite understood how he could be quite critical of the team during his commentaries, but give the manager such an easy ride in the post match interviews. Many fans get irked by his excitement for opposition attacks and goals. Lastly, I am not sure that he has always respected the Ipswich fans or as he once called them "the great unwashed".

Some people seem to take that "great unwashed" comment remarkably personally. Whilst admittedly disparaging and something it was somewhat clumsy to let slip on air, it's just a term for the general public, not just for Ipswich fans - and given the general level of idiocy displayed by both the general public and Ipswich fans on post-match phone-ins, it's hardly a shocker.
Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 15:38 - May 3 with 1199 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 13:48 - May 3 by marchy

Some people seem to take that "great unwashed" comment remarkably personally. Whilst admittedly disparaging and something it was somewhat clumsy to let slip on air, it's just a term for the general public, not just for Ipswich fans - and given the general level of idiocy displayed by both the general public and Ipswich fans on post-match phone-ins, it's hardly a shocker.

I am not sure why anyone would ever take such a comment personally. It was an unfortunate mistake on his part, for which I don't ever recall him apologising.

Let's hope the new Ipswich TV commentator makes a better job of it.
Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 21:28 - May 3 with 1155 viewsbaxterbasics

I've always liked Brenner's commentary. Some people accuse him of being too excited by opposition goals but he just enjoys any action on the pitch which is fine, he doesn't have to be one sided.

Listen to some of the offerings from other local coverage around the country, it could be so much worse.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 21:38 - May 3 with 1147 viewsjeera

Where's Brenner? (n/t) on 21:28 - May 3 by baxterbasics

I've always liked Brenner's commentary. Some people accuse him of being too excited by opposition goals but he just enjoys any action on the pitch which is fine, he doesn't have to be one sided.

Listen to some of the offerings from other local coverage around the country, it could be so much worse.

He's not so bad when compared with others that's for sure.

I always say the same thing but we were spoilt with Baxter and Beattie before which was a hard act to follow.

We have certainly had some terrible efforts at commentary when RS lost the rights for a season and it went to Saxon or whatever they were called at the time. Utterly dreadful.

As for being irritated at any excitement when the opposition score most of us would momentarily hate our best friend when we're losing and they credit them with a good goal. I don't think it's so much personal against Brenner but more that he dares to give anyone but us any credit when we've got the hump.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024