Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ink Tank Think Tank... 14:58 - May 4 with 1339 viewshoppy

I'm needing to re-order ink cartridges for my Epson photo printer (XP_900). I've always bought the genuine Epsom inks, but with the multi pack of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black and Photoblack now edging towards £80.. wondering if compatible inks are ok as far far cheaper, or is there anything in the claims that you get an inferior result using them?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 15:09 - May 4 with 1320 viewsfactual_blue

Some printers won't work with imitation cartridges. Something to do with reading a barcode or a chip or something.

Most printers won't tell you how much ink you've got left when using unofficial cartridges.

But probably no real differences apart from that.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 15:47 - May 4 with 1277 viewshoppy

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 15:09 - May 4 by factual_blue

Some printers won't work with imitation cartridges. Something to do with reading a barcode or a chip or something.

Most printers won't tell you how much ink you've got left when using unofficial cartridges.

Hmmm... Hadn't thought of that aspect of it, about the chip thing.

Anyone else, any nuggets of wisdom?

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 16:02 - May 4 with 1259 viewsdavblue

I don't know how old your printer is but it's worth looking into HP's Instant Ink.

We don't print out loads of stuff but for 1.99 or 2.99 a month, they send you cartridges when you run out of ink. We got a printer in lockdown for 130 notes with a scanner and that does the job. Similar to below
https://www.johnlewis.com/hp-officejet-pro-8022e-all-in-one-wireless-printer-wit
Ink Tank Think Tank... on 16:32 - May 4 with 1211 viewsBasingstokeBlue

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 15:47 - May 4 by hoppy

Hmmm... Hadn't thought of that aspect of it, about the chip thing.

Anyone else, any nuggets of wisdom?

Yes, I've just bought an HP ENVY Pro 6430 and they make it perfectly clear that it will simply refuse to work if imitation ink cartridges are installed (yes - this is a "chip thing").

I've also signed up to one of their Instant Ink plans
https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/offer.aspx?p=c-instantinkpickaplan

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 16:35 - May 4 with 1209 viewshoppy

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 16:02 - May 4 by davblue

I don't know how old your printer is but it's worth looking into HP's Instant Ink.

We don't print out loads of stuff but for 1.99 or 2.99 a month, they send you cartridges when you run out of ink. We got a printer in lockdown for 130 notes with a scanner and that does the job. Similar to below
https://www.johnlewis.com/hp-officejet-pro-8022e-all-in-one-wireless-printer-wit

Thanks for that, I did look at HP ones when I got this, although the Epson XP900 I went for has a similar desktop footprint to my old printer, but has the capacity to print A3 as well, which is actually what I tend to use it for most these days, so I've been happy with the results, it's just the ink prices have gone up a fair bit.

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 16:38 - May 4 with 1207 viewsfactual_blue

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 16:32 - May 4 by BasingstokeBlue

Yes, I've just bought an HP ENVY Pro 6430 and they make it perfectly clear that it will simply refuse to work if imitation ink cartridges are installed (yes - this is a "chip thing").

I've also signed up to one of their Instant Ink plans
https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/offer.aspx?p=c-instantinkpickaplan

boris johnson and all his supporters are useless, venal, dishonest baby killers.
[Post edited 4 May 2022 20:31]

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 16:39 - May 4 with 1197 viewsDeano69

You know what I am going to tell you hopster!!!

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 16:42 - May 4 with 1181 viewsParsley

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 16:02 - May 4 by davblue

I feel like you have to subscribe to everything these days
Login to get fewer ads

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 16:43 - May 4 with 1172 viewshoppy

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 16:39 - May 4 by Deano69

You know what I am going to tell you hopster!!!

I did, obviously, look on your website first to try and ascertain my own answers before asking the TWTD hive... but thought it might be the kind of question beneath you guys?

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 16:52 - May 4 with 1154 viewsDeano69

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 16:43 - May 4 by hoppy

I did, obviously, look on your website first to try and ascertain my own answers before asking the TWTD hive... but thought it might be the kind of question beneath you guys?

lol.

I have yet to come across a compatible being even close to the same reproduction quality as an original. Sometimes you get away with it for a shirt while, but then it leaves your printer requiring replacement anyway.

I know its a pain, I was in the industry when HP (and others) changed the rules. Initially as I recall all HP inkjet printers were sold at substantial losses in order to take massive market share as other forms of printing was going out of fashion. Printer ink is one of the most costly items (based on size) on the planet (used to be quoted as dearer that gold per ounce)

The subscription model is a little fairer and does at least give you a fixed cost.

Now I remember why we stop bothering with printers!

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 16:55 - May 4 with 1138 viewshoppy

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 16:52 - May 4 by Deano69

lol.

I have yet to come across a compatible being even close to the same reproduction quality as an original. Sometimes you get away with it for a shirt while, but then it leaves your printer requiring replacement anyway.

I know its a pain, I was in the industry when HP (and others) changed the rules. Initially as I recall all HP inkjet printers were sold at substantial losses in order to take massive market share as other forms of printing was going out of fashion. Printer ink is one of the most costly items (based on size) on the planet (used to be quoted as dearer that gold per ounce)

The subscription model is a little fairer and does at least give you a fixed cost.

Now I remember why we stop bothering with printers!

Cheers. That's kind of what I got the idea that it was something like that.

Phew, for a moment, I thought you were hinting that you supply those, and I shouldn't really be going elsewhere.. at least I'm not losing it in that respect!

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 16:58 - May 4 with 1131 viewsDeano69

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 16:55 - May 4 by hoppy

Cheers. That's kind of what I got the idea that it was something like that.

Phew, for a moment, I thought you were hinting that you supply those, and I shouldn't really be going elsewhere.. at least I'm not losing it in that respect!

lol

Just use reputable sources, lots of fake 'branded original' out there too (they are worse than the compatibles)

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 17:03 - May 4 with 1115 viewscressi

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 16:58 - May 4 by Deano69

lol

Just use reputable sources, lots of fake 'branded original' out there too (they are worse than the compatibles)

I got a Brother printer always use cartridge people use there own brand never a issue and half the price
Ink Tank Think Tank... on 17:17 - May 4 with 1098 viewsVic

I get all mine from cartridge people - only once had a problem and that was many years ago. Basically stopped my printer from working - so nothing major! Since then i've had 3 or 4 printers and all have worked well with their ink. Quality wise - i cannot tell the difference between expensive originals and the compatibles.

If ever they should break the printer i'd go and get another printer - it's much cheaper than buying original inks!!

Edit - I should qualify this by saying 'all my work ink'! At home i have an HP Instant ink contract which is OK until the Vicaress decides to print over the monthly page allowance and we get royally stung - something like £1 for 10 sheets.
[Post edited 4 May 2022 17:22]

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 17:19 - May 4 with 1092 viewshoppy

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 17:17 - May 4 by Vic

I get all mine from cartridge people - only once had a problem and that was many years ago. Basically stopped my printer from working - so nothing major! Since then i've had 3 or 4 printers and all have worked well with their ink. Quality wise - i cannot tell the difference between expensive originals and the compatibles.

If ever they should break the printer i'd go and get another printer - it's much cheaper than buying original inks!!

Edit - I should qualify this by saying 'all my work ink'! At home i have an HP Instant ink contract which is OK until the Vicaress decides to print over the monthly page allowance and we get royally stung - something like £1 for 10 sheets.
[Post edited 4 May 2022 17:22]

Is that why you've had 3 or 4 printers?

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 17:20 - May 4 with 1097 viewsLord_Lucan

We only use compatible, to us it doesn't matter what the quality is like because it's generally only for packing lists, everything else is all electronic.

Personally I can't really tell the difference 1/ because I'm blind as a bat and 2/ because I don't think I've ever used an original to compare it with.

I can't really think what people use printers for these days other than internal paperwork and packing lists.

You though are a graphic designer aren't you, in which case I suppose you have more of a need for quality.

Why don't you test some and try them out? Someone mentioned about printers not working with compatible inks, this can be the case but a lot of the time it's bluff and bluster. Epson though I understand are the biggest culprits for blocking the use of compatibles. You can google a way around it from memory.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 18:02 - May 4 with 1058 viewsmutters

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 15:09 - May 4 by factual_blue

I have an old cannon printer. I have tried original ink and imitation ink and it will only accept the imitation ink about half the time.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

I've taken cunning corrective action ^^^^^^^^ on 20:18 - May 4 with 946 viewsfactual_blue

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 16:38 - May 4 by factual_blue

boris johnson and all his supporters are useless, venal, dishonest baby killers.

Thanks daveU for acknowledging the truth.

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 20:24 - May 4 with 933 viewsfactual_blue

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 18:02 - May 4 by mutters

I have an old cannon printer. I have tried original ink and imitation ink and it will only accept the imitation ink about half the time.

I've got a Canon IPF PRO-6100

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 21:46 - May 4 with 877 viewsmutters

Ink Tank Think Tank... on 20:24 - May 4 by factual_blue

I've got a Canon IPF PRO-6100

Wow they are worth a bob or two these days. Cash in man!

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024