Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dremel. 14:30 - May 8 with 1501 viewsjeera

With a few niggly tasks addressing soon it's looking like one of these could be the answer.

The one thing I'm unsure about is how efficient they are at sanding metal. I see it mentioned ideal for rust removal but not much talk of actual sanding: say imperfections in the finish, as I have some railings to paint at some point.

Also Mother's lost the keys to a padlock on her shed and I wondered if one would cut through that.

I also need to get to an awkward tucked away enclosed spot in a Keter bunker to remove the clips on a prematurely clipped in piece so there needs to be an extension option to fit a tiny cutting wheel.

If anyone can advise a little before I buy one I'd be grateful.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Dremel. on 14:37 - May 8 with 1438 viewschicoazul

Wire wool and elbow grease probably be better for that job fam. Good strong set of stilsons maybe for the lock?

Edit; I will caveat my advice by telling you I am officially the worlds least practical man but I have used wire wool to remove rust before from metal bannister things and it worked.
[Post edited 8 May 2022 14:39]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Dremel. on 14:45 - May 8 with 1410 viewsjeera

Dremel. on 14:37 - May 8 by chicoazul

Wire wool and elbow grease probably be better for that job fam. Good strong set of stilsons maybe for the lock?

Edit; I will caveat my advice by telling you I am officially the worlds least practical man but I have used wire wool to remove rust before from metal bannister things and it worked.
[Post edited 8 May 2022 14:39]

Afternoon Chickers.

If it was here and I could take some time over it I'd do it by hand but it's going to be on a short visit to mother and I don't have too much time to mess about. It's going to be a quick going over and a coat of some robust paint.

I just want a tool that's going to mutli task somewhat and I know people seem to rate the Dremel. I'm only needing entry level I think.

Dremel. on 14:45 - May 8 with 1408 viewsdickie

I think the dremel would cut the padlock with no problems, I used one to cut the heads off some large diameter screws that i needed to be flush with some timber but couldn't extricate them
Dremel. on 14:57 - May 8 with 1383 viewsjeera

Dremel. on 14:45 - May 8 by dickie

I think the dremel would cut the padlock with no problems, I used one to cut the heads off some large diameter screws that i needed to be flush with some timber but couldn't extricate them

Thanks Dickie.

It won't be an expensive lock so am hoping that would do the job.

Dremel. on 15:37 - May 8 with 1316 viewslowhouseblue

unless what you're working on is small and intricate - eg your last example - get an angle grinder and wire brush attachment. i have a dremmel type thing and it is useful but quite weedy - it would be very frustrating for railings.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Dremel. on 15:44 - May 8 with 1306 viewsjeera

Dremel. on 15:37 - May 8 by lowhouseblue

unless what you're working on is small and intricate - eg your last example - get an angle grinder and wire brush attachment. i have a dremmel type thing and it is useful but quite weedy - it would be very frustrating for railings.

Noted, thanks.

Dremel. on 15:50 - May 8 with 1292 viewsdickie

Dremel. on 15:37 - May 8 by lowhouseblue

Would be cheaper too tbf - my grinder was 20 quid and came with a metal cutting disc. The dremel was borrowed off a mate as I couldn't justify buying one for such a small job
Dremel. on 15:54 - May 8 with 1282 viewsjeera

Dremel. on 15:50 - May 8 by dickie

Would be cheaper too tbf - my grinder was 20 quid and came with a metal cutting disc. The dremel was borrowed off a mate as I couldn't justify buying one for such a small job

That's the thing for me too which is why I'm trying to justify it to myself that it will cover several options.

I need something small for the bunker thing but am damned if I'm paying a £100 for that little job.

But if it will serve a dozen other purposes then it's a different matter.

I'm wondering now if I can get something to go on a drill that will do the job instead.

Login to get fewer ads

Dremel. on 16:27 - May 8 with 1243 viewsearlsgreenblue

Sure it’s good stuff, but that’s the Rolls” get an own brand tool with a selection of bits, I got one a few weeks back for around 25€ loads of little wheels, discs, etc, probably only good for your inside cutting job out of what you mentioned, but countless others in time, I did get originally a cordless one, but as it was so infrequently used, was always flat, recently, the corded type did the job perfectly that I got it for, cutting off some old wall rawl fixings behind a sink that was being removed. Patience using it though as it’s not a industrial tool & is lightweight by design.
Dremel. on 16:46 - May 8 with 1224 viewsjeera

Dremel. on 16:27 - May 8 by earlsgreenblue

Sure it’s good stuff, but that’s the Rolls” get an own brand tool with a selection of bits, I got one a few weeks back for around 25€ loads of little wheels, discs, etc, probably only good for your inside cutting job out of what you mentioned, but countless others in time, I did get originally a cordless one, but as it was so infrequently used, was always flat, recently, the corded type did the job perfectly that I got it for, cutting off some old wall rawl fixings behind a sink that was being removed. Patience using it though as it’s not a industrial tool & is lightweight by design.

OK cheers for that.

May I ask which brand you went for?

As you say if it's for occasional use then maybe a cheaper version would be more appropriate.

My angle grinder went missing some years ago and I've not needed to replace it until now, but if the money's right I suppose I could just get both again. I was hoping really to have fewer tools but to able to fulfil the same purposes that was all.
[Post edited 8 May 2022 19:59]

Dremel. on 21:52 - May 8 with 1073 viewsCoastalblue

Own a drill? Just get a flapwheel for that for about a fiver to do the railings, will be a feck sight quicker too.

I've got a dremel, they are brilliant when you need one, but that tends to be about twice a year for me and normally involves buying another attachment. Mine only cost about £35 though.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Dremel. on 22:11 - May 8 with 1055 viewsjeera

Dremel. on 21:52 - May 8 by Coastalblue

Own a drill? Just get a flapwheel for that for about a fiver to do the railings, will be a feck sight quicker too.

I've got a dremel, they are brilliant when you need one, but that tends to be about twice a year for me and normally involves buying another attachment. Mine only cost about £35 though.

Well, I posted this a little bit excited at the prospect of buying a new toy and was expecting an element of support and enthusiasm with exclamations of all the different uses this magical device can bring into my life.

And it turns out I may as well just get a stick from the garden and go around poking things with that.

Appreciate the comments though as it seems I'd probably be wasting money on something not totally suited to what I need atm.

Cheers folks.

Dremel. on 22:58 - May 8 with 993 viewsZXBlue

Dremel. on 14:45 - May 8 by dickie

Padlock is probably easily pickable. Or use the two spanners method But yes a dremel cutting wheel will do it.

Be a bit small for sanding railings though. better with and orbital sander, or a rust removal atttachment on a drill
Dremel. on 23:09 - May 8 with 974 viewsGuthrum

A multi-tool is probably better for something like that. Dremmel is more suitable for very fine work.

Multi-tools can do detail sanding (but less useful on large areas than an orbital- or belt-sander), but also have cutter blades capable of going through a padlock (not as quickly as an angle grinder, but with more control).

Something like this (cheaper and more expensive* versions are available, battery powered** or mains):

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcs355d2-gb-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-xr-brushless-cord

Edit: I'm currently using one of those. Had a cheap brand one from B&Q before that, which did good service for many years.

* Dewalt, Makita and Bosch brands are top quality, not cheap, but sometimes on offer at places like Screwfix or Toolstation.

** Be careful when buying cordless ones, as sometimes come "bare" - without the battery - which is then expensive to buy seperately.
[Post edited 8 May 2022 23:12]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Dremel. on 23:21 - May 8 with 953 viewsGuthrum

Dremel. on 14:45 - May 8 by jeera

Afternoon Chickers.

If it was here and I could take some time over it I'd do it by hand but it's going to be on a short visit to mother and I don't have too much time to mess about. It's going to be a quick going over and a coat of some robust paint.

I just want a tool that's going to mutli task somewhat and I know people seem to rate the Dremel. I'm only needing entry level I think.

In that case, just give it a light rub with 80 or 120 grit sandpaper to give a key for the new paint to hold onto, then a couple of coats of something like smooth hammerite.

By this I mean scratching the glossy surface, to roughen it so the new paint can grip. Not trying to get rid of the old paint or smooth the surface. The railings get fractionally bigger (by a few microns) and doesn't remove imperfections, but it's the swift way to smarten up the paintwork on railings.

A lot of the modern paints for metal can even be put over rust patches without rubbing down to the bare metal. I've had pretty good results with this.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Dremel. on 08:43 - May 9 with 826 viewsNthQldITFC

I use a cheaper (Silverline) Dremel-type thing, which has served me really well for 8 years or so. It's been brilliant for so many different little jobs, but the things you mention sound like they would best be done with a 4½ inch angle grinder.

Some of the most useful additions for the Dremel would be some little diamond cutting discs, (which you probably do the padlock with) and a flexible chuck extension, which lets you lay the body of the tool down and use the extension a bit like a pen. Really handy.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274339862455
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pieces-Diamond-Cutting-Gemstones-Shafts/dp/B01MXBV5QN
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Paor-Extension-Compatible-Accessory-Attachment/dp/B01M0

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024