Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A person's right to choose their own pronouns etc. 00:08 - Jun 14 with 6480 viewsbluelagos

Wondering if the twtd collective would extend that courtesy to members to the monarchy?

In the unlikely event of my ever meeting the Queen would it be disrepectful to refuse to refer to her as "Your majesty" and instead call her "Lizzy"?

Edited for sh1t grammar

[Post edited 14 Jun 2022 15:21]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

A person's right to choose their own pronouns etc. on 16:41 - Jun 17 with 445 viewsRyorry

A person's right to choose their own pronouns etc. on 12:43 - Jun 17 by The_Flashing_Smile

Just more cop-outs and nonsense from you. "Read the thread" isn't an answer. If I've suggested you or other seniors should be disrespected, show where.

You can't, because I haven't.

Your line in 2 isn't spreading a myth or defaming you in any way either.

And I love how you accuse me of making this a time-wasting argument. I'm not chatting to myself here! But no, you're all sweet and innocent.

Earlier I told you how busy I was, how little sleep I'd had, and you very kindly said you hoped I could get more sleep. But now you're demanding that I go back & spend yet more time on you by going through 4 pages of thread to read, pick out & post your comments in question.

I've replied, unwillingly, to your comments only in order to defend myself. Not least because in the past on innumerable occasions, you've jeered at me as "running away" if I didn't. Clearly I can't win.

I'm out.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

A person's right to choose their own pronouns etc. on 19:07 - Jun 17 with 387 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

A person's right to choose their own pronouns etc. on 16:41 - Jun 17 by Ryorry

Earlier I told you how busy I was, how little sleep I'd had, and you very kindly said you hoped I could get more sleep. But now you're demanding that I go back & spend yet more time on you by going through 4 pages of thread to read, pick out & post your comments in question.

I've replied, unwillingly, to your comments only in order to defend myself. Not least because in the past on innumerable occasions, you've jeered at me as "running away" if I didn't. Clearly I can't win.

I'm out.

No, I didn't ask you to go through 4 pages of thread to read, pick out & post anything. I simply asked where I have suggested you or other seniors shouldn't be respected. I'd have thought something like that would stick in the mind and you'd know exactly where to get it.

Why don't you just admit the truth of the matter - instead of all this deflection - that I never said any such thing?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

A person's right to choose their own pronouns etc. on 22:43 - Jun 17 with 327 viewsGlasgowBlue

A person's right to choose their own pronouns etc. on 17:25 - Jun 16 by jeera

I don't think you're allowing for the age gap here.

If you look at the threads regarding giving up seats on public transport the majority of us agree we'd readily offer our spot for someone much older so that respect in ingrained in us.

It's not a bad thing and also surely goes with flow of people choosing how they like to be addressed and others respecting that.

If you demand to be called King when you rule the world then the least some of us could hope for is the odd 'mister'.

I admit to sometimes struggling how to address a woman I don't know though. If she's young then it was always miss, if not there could be a panicked whispered "is she married, does she prefer Ms?" So no doubt it can be argued using first names as the norm does away with some old stereotypes.

If I receive an unwanted sales call and they refer to me by first name I'm affronted on two levels, although admittedly one is triggered by the other. You know, how dare you effing call me at all let alone pretend to know me, kind of thing.

Sure, what's wrong with showing a little respect to people you don't know? It is something we used to pride ourselves on and others used to respect about us.

If you visit Japan, or India or many other places these will also be the accepted norms. It would be considered extremely rude to make assumptions on how to address strangers without invitation. I think that initial ritual can be a solid start to meeting someone that's all.

And maybe some of the world's problems would be easier to solves if we all remembered to be more respectful.

It's how relationships work and friendships are formed. I've never liked the ridiculous line that some people use thinking they're being sage-like: "Respect is earned".

No it isn't. Friendship is earned. Respect should be shown in the first place.

Edit: Just to add, I am assuming that context here would be included by default.

[Post edited 16 Jun 2022 17:44]

POTY

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024