Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
North of the border blues 21:53 - Jun 14 with 2142 viewsgtsb1966

IF there is another vote on Scottish independence have things changed dramatically enough from 2014 to make it a 50/50 call.
North of the border blues on 12:07 - Jun 15 with 644 viewswkj

North of the border blues on 12:05 - Jun 15 by Darth_Koont

The Scottish government is hamstrung by low budgets and the priorities of the UK as a whole.

Who would do better in that context?

Independence is the means to a better society and stronger economy, not the end in itself.

Careful now, you'll be laughing at Farage for not respecting the other possible result of the Brexit referendum next.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

North of the border blues on 12:24 - Jun 15 with 624 viewsgiant_stow

The Scottish government is hamstrung by low budgets and the priorities of the UK as a whole.

Independence is the means to a better society and stronger economy, not the end in itself.

Re your last line, absolutely fair enough. I'm just wondering how the governance of Scotland compares to the UK's in devolved matters really. Budgets may be lower than ideal up there, but they'd be comparable to the UKs per head (or better innit?) so who does it better? No idea personally.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

North of the border blues on 13:12 - Jun 15 with 598 viewsGlasgowBlue

Do you think that independence is the solution.

Since Covid, I've been spending more time discovering Scotland. And it seems to me that the culture and needs of those living north of Perth are completely different to those of people living in the Central belt. Go further to the north of Inverness and the differences are even more striking.

Likewise, the people living in the Scottish borders seem to have more in common with those living in Cumbria and Northumberland.

Rather than breaking up the union, a government with vision would propose a less centralised and more regional form of government.

That's just my personal opinion.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

North of the border blues on 13:34 - Jun 15 with 582 viewsJ2BLUE

North of the border blues on 13:12 - Jun 15 by GlasgowBlue

Since Covid, I've been spending more time discovering Scotland. And it seems to me that the culture and needs of those living north of Perth are completely different to those of people living in the Central belt. Go further to the north of Inverness and the differences are even more striking.

Likewise, the people living in the Scottish borders seem to have more in common with those living in Cumbria and Northumberland.

Rather than breaking up the union, a government with vision would propose a less centralised and more regional form of government.

Are we going to have Scotland threaten to leave every few years with a load of concessions thrown at them?

England are always going to dominate due to population. Time for Scotland to make a break for it. I'm sure they'll do fine.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

North of the border blues on 13:45 - Jun 15 with 576 viewsGlasgowBlue

North of the border blues on 13:34 - Jun 15 by J2BLUE

Are we going to have Scotland threaten to leave every few years with a load of concessions thrown at them?

England are always going to dominate due to population. Time for Scotland to make a break for it. I'm sure they'll do fine.

But the people of Scotland aren't threatening to leave. And that doesn't address the point I was making. There are areas in England that have very little in common with London of the Southeast.

I think our system of government no longer works. A federal system would meet the needs of the UK in the 21st century imo.

Iron Lion Zion

North of the border blues on 21:31 - Jun 15 with 521 viewsDarth_Koont

North of the border blues on 13:12 - Jun 15 by GlasgowBlue

Looking at our closest neighbours in Europe, it seems that the ideal is a country of several million plus having autonomy. So a smaller, more compact and independent region within the EU which is built to give regions a voice.

Of course, within Scotland there are different needs in different parts of it. Building strong regions within Scotland would be part of independence I’m sure. The ability to increase investment (even if it involves borrowing in the short term) is pretty critical to that.

I have no faith in the UK doing that for the people of Scotland, Wales, NI, the North or any other region. There’s no political will and even less understanding of what a better society (built on Scandinavian social democracy) looks like. Plus the federal approach falls down with the clowns who will take the central federal decisions.

It’s time for Scotland to move on and join the rest of Europe.

Pronouns: He/Him

North of the border blues on 22:07 - Jun 15 with 506 viewsWeWereZombies

North of the border blues on 13:45 - Jun 15 by GlasgowBlue

But the people of Scotland aren't threatening to leave. And that doesn't address the point I was making. There are areas in England that have very little in common with London of the Southeast.

I think our system of government no longer works. A federal system would meet the needs of the UK in the 21st century imo.

Blimey, we agree on something. Mind you, if any political party proposes a worked out federal system I am sure we will find critical points to take opposing views on...

On the subject of journeys far and wide in Scotland I have been spending a bit of time on the East coast in the last year (sunnier by far) and it seems really uptight compared with the laid back West, also Aberdeen seems to do urban sprawl like no other Scottish city. There again, I was in Kilmarnock last month and every time I followed a road sign for Dumfries I ended up in this tangle of roadworks, after half an hour I finally saw a sign for Dumfries and then five minutes later I was back in the roadworks.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

North of the border blues on 22:18 - Jun 15 with 499 viewsGlasgowBlue

North of the border blues on 22:07 - Jun 15 by WeWereZombies

Blimey, we agree on something. Mind you, if any political party proposes a worked out federal system I am sure we will find critical points to take opposing views on...

On the subject of journeys far and wide in Scotland I have been spending a bit of time on the East coast in the last year (sunnier by far) and it seems really uptight compared with the laid back West, also Aberdeen seems to do urban sprawl like no other Scottish city. There again, I was in Kilmarnock last month and every time I followed a road sign for Dumfries I ended up in this tangle of roadworks, after half an hour I finally saw a sign for Dumfries and then five minutes later I was back in the roadworks.

I’ve just completed the NC500 in a camper van. The weather was glorious until we reached Ullapool, where it was pissing down.

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

North of the border blues on 00:21 - Jun 16 with 461 viewsJ2BLUE

North of the border blues on 13:45 - Jun 15 by GlasgowBlue

They are mostly voting for parties that do.

British people are not threatening to send people to Rwanda but that's a consequence of voting Tory.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

North of the border blues on 10:53 - Jun 16 with 372 viewsElephantintheRoom

Yes things have changed very dramatically. The Jimmies were told they couldn’t stay in the EU if they voted for independence.

Turns out the exact opposite was true.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

North of the border blues on 15:05 - Jun 16 with 348 viewsWeWereZombies

North of the border blues on 10:53 - Jun 16 by ElephantintheRoom

Yes things have changed very dramatically. The Jimmies were told they couldn’t stay in the EU if they voted for independence.

Turns out the exact opposite was true.

Jimmies?

Anyway, the IndyRef2 paper makes no hard and fast ruling on European Union accession, in fact it considers it as only one of a number of options:

https://www.gov.scot/publications/independence-modern-world-wealthier-happier-fa

I will be watching the reaction of Norway, not an EU member, if there is an Aye in October 2023. In fact closer ties with Norway may be one way of swinging the vote with Shetlanders and Orcadians.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024