Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Morecambe fans view on Greg Leigh, from the guy that runs Shrimps Online: 12:42 - Jun 20 with 4690 viewsitfcjoe

Decent signing for you to add in the mix.

Arguably after Cole our best player across the whole of the season. Took me a little while to warm up to him, but he was recovering from a serious injury. As he got more comfortable in himself, he looked more the part.

Always thought Bolton may come in for him stylistically. Never really thought we had a chance of signing him on for a second year onwards. I believe we wouldn’t have got him at all, if he’s not needed a bit of rehab back from his injury.

The other aspect to put the nail on the coffin of him returning was the arrival of Derek Adams. He’s too offensive for Derek and he lost his place to Liam Gibson in the end which turned out to be a sound decision. Liam won his place back at LB and didn’t put a foot wrong.

Very athletic and good in the air for a FB. My main beef is his crossing. Often got himself into great positions, but would rarely put in a decent cross - even when free of pressure. Felt like that was a mental thing and overthinking it, perhaps?!

Hope this helps Joe

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Morecambe fans view on Greg Leigh, from the guy that runs Shrimps Online: on 12:45 - Jun 20 with 4618 viewsitfcjoe

And apparently he was due to sign for Rotherham last summer but failed his medical

Morecambe fans view on Greg Leigh, from the guy that runs Shrimps Online: on 12:49 - Jun 20 with 4531 viewsPhilTWTD

Morecambe fans view on Greg Leigh, from the guy that runs Shrimps Online: on 12:45 - Jun 20 by itfcjoe

And apparently he was due to sign for Rotherham last summer but failed his medical

Not the year before?

Morecambe fans view on Greg Leigh, from the guy that runs Shrimps Online: on 13:00 - Jun 20 with 4343 viewsitfcjoe

Morecambe fans view on Greg Leigh, from the guy that runs Shrimps Online: on 12:49 - Jun 20 by PhilTWTD

Not the year before?

Sounds like it was, so that was for a Championship campaign as well then?

Morecambe fans view on Greg Leigh, from the guy that runs Shrimps Online: on 13:05 - Jun 20 with 4274 viewsPowrigan

“Often got himself into great positions, but would rarely put in a decent cross”

Sounds familiar, so should fit in well
[Post edited 20 Jun 2022 13:05]
Morecambe fans view on Greg Leigh, from the guy that runs Shrimps Online: on 13:14 - Jun 20 with 4155 viewsPhilTWTD

Morecambe fans view on Greg Leigh, from the guy that runs Shrimps Online: on 13:00 - Jun 20 by itfcjoe

Sounds like it was, so that was for a Championship campaign as well then?

If it starts with an even number it must have been a Championship season for Rotherham! I doubt their recruitment changes too much from division to division, though.
Morecambe fans view on Greg Leigh, from the guy that runs Shrimps Online: on 13:45 - Jun 20 with 3876 viewsHipsterectomy

I’m hopeful that he does well, but the club made it clear they only really want 4-5 players signed this summer, all things going well. He doesn’t seem the type to be in the “too good to not sign”, and unless Penney is leaving or Leigh is seen as first choice, we’d have two “back-up” players in that position. A new striker and Celina or Celina replacement is probably a given, which would take us up to 5 signings already with the 3 we’ve made.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Thanks Joe! just what I've been trawling the internet for! on 13:52 - Jun 20 with 3746 viewsunstableblue

Sounds promising

And I do wonder if McKenna and the performance team, think there is another 15% to come from this guy in terms of performance in a better team and with a fully fit pre-season under his belt?

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Morecambe fans view on Greg Leigh, from the guy that runs Shrimps Online: on 14:02 - Jun 20 with 3604 viewsunstableblue

Morecambe fans view on Greg Leigh, from the guy that runs Shrimps Online: on 12:45 - Jun 20 by itfcjoe

Yes saw some Rotherham fans saying having watched him again, that he could have done a job for them

Login to get fewer ads

Thanks Joe! just what I've been trawling the internet for! on 14:14 - Jun 20 with 3505 viewsSTYG

Thanks Joe! just what I've been trawling the internet for! on 13:52 - Jun 20 by unstableblue

Sounds promising

And I do wonder if McKenna and the performance team, think there is another 15% to come from this guy in terms of performance in a better team and with a fully fit pre-season under his belt?

Another thing that a lot of fans seem to miss.

We had a guy in our very poor Sunday team that didn't look much at all. Rarely scored, rarely assisted and didn't look as if he could be arsed. One week a team mate was short of a couple of players for his Saturday team and me and two others, including this guy filled in.

Team was way better than ours and he looked a totally different player because those around him were picking him out, making better runs.

Given how a player like Piggott can look so good for Wimbledon and so poor for us and others have been great in one system but rubbish is another, it never ceases to amaze me how people get written off before they are part of the team, tactics and style they've been brought in to play in.

This could be the move that suits him. Maybe the crosses he wasted were because the strikers didn't make the runs. After all, some here have been saying they wouldn't have Celina back because he should have assisted more when with a half confident striker from December he'd have had bucket loads.
Thanks Joe! just what I've been trawling the internet for! on 14:42 - Jun 20 with 3239 viewsunstableblue

Thanks Joe! just what I've been trawling the internet for! on 14:14 - Jun 20 by STYG

Another thing that a lot of fans seem to miss.

We had a guy in our very poor Sunday team that didn't look much at all. Rarely scored, rarely assisted and didn't look as if he could be arsed. One week a team mate was short of a couple of players for his Saturday team and me and two others, including this guy filled in.

Team was way better than ours and he looked a totally different player because those around him were picking him out, making better runs.

Given how a player like Piggott can look so good for Wimbledon and so poor for us and others have been great in one system but rubbish is another, it never ceases to amaze me how people get written off before they are part of the team, tactics and style they've been brought in to play in.

This could be the move that suits him. Maybe the crosses he wasted were because the strikers didn't make the runs. After all, some here have been saying they wouldn't have Celina back because he should have assisted more when with a half confident striker from December he'd have had bucket loads.

Teams are really going to sit deep on us this season

And so Leigh will have a completely different role to last season.

Thanks Joe! just what I've been trawling the internet for! on 14:47 - Jun 20 with 3158 viewsSTYG

Thanks Joe! just what I've been trawling the internet for! on 14:42 - Jun 20 by unstableblue

Teams are really going to sit deep on us this season

And so Leigh will have a completely different role to last season.

I was at Morecambe and was really impressed with Leigh.

We didn't have much through Burns that day at all. Yes the pitch was terrible but Leigh played really well. Two best chances first half came down the left, Bonne missing sitters. In the second half we were mainly getting in down the left again and Thompson wasted so many crosses.

Part of that was how well Leigh played in keeping Burns at bay. Put in some good tackles and tracked runners well but they had nothing going forward. Couple of times completely outmuscled our players seeing the ball out, looked pretty tasty in the tackle and looked like he was far too good for them.

That day they had three decent players. Leigh, Stockton and the keeper who had a worldie. The rest got walked over. Given how attacking Leigh is likely to be, it was really nice to see how well he coped in that match with us and our player of the season, given that the likes of Burns and Chaplin as are good as what he will face going the other way in League One.

Looks a really decent signing defensively on what I saw and the attacking stats for him look really good as well, more so given the team he was in.
Thanks Joe! just what I've been trawling the internet for! on 15:04 - Jun 20 with 3025 viewsunstableblue

Thanks Joe! just what I've been trawling the internet for! on 14:47 - Jun 20 by STYG

I was at Morecambe and was really impressed with Leigh.

We didn't have much through Burns that day at all. Yes the pitch was terrible but Leigh played really well. Two best chances first half came down the left, Bonne missing sitters. In the second half we were mainly getting in down the left again and Thompson wasted so many crosses.

Part of that was how well Leigh played in keeping Burns at bay. Put in some good tackles and tracked runners well but they had nothing going forward. Couple of times completely outmuscled our players seeing the ball out, looked pretty tasty in the tackle and looked like he was far too good for them.

That day they had three decent players. Leigh, Stockton and the keeper who had a worldie. The rest got walked over. Given how attacking Leigh is likely to be, it was really nice to see how well he coped in that match with us and our player of the season, given that the likes of Burns and Chaplin as are good as what he will face going the other way in League One.

Looks a really decent signing defensively on what I saw and the attacking stats for him look really good as well, more so given the team he was in.

Often players are signed off the back of their performance against Ipswich for an opposition.

Sounds like this could be one of them.

And I thought it was because Burns was tired and having a bad day at the office!!

Thanks Joe! just what I've been trawling the internet for! on 15:11 - Jun 20 with 2945 viewsSTYG

Thanks Joe! just what I've been trawling the internet for! on 15:04 - Jun 20 by unstableblue

Often players are signed off the back of their performance against Ipswich for an opposition.

Sounds like this could be one of them.

And I thought it was because Burns was tired and having a bad day at the office!!

Burns was. Yet the legend still saved our skin.

One of the most one sided matches I have ever seen. Was incredible to think we almost lost it. Then, once level, we somehow didn't win it at the death.
Morecambe fans view on Greg Leigh, from the guy that runs Shrimps Online: on 19:01 - Jun 20 with 2353 viewsitfcjoe

More on Leigh

As for Greg Leigh, I absolutely love him, probably my favourite player last season apart from Cole Stockton.

Tom has covered off most of what I would say about him but he also has a good long throw and I don’t think I’ve ever seen another full back with as good a leap and heading ability as him. Also a great novelty for us to have a Jamaican international in the team! Wasn’t that long ago that anyone who lived further South than Merseyside was considered exotic!

Morecambe fans view on Greg Leigh, from the guy that runs Shrimps Online: on 19:12 - Jun 20 with 2260 viewstractorboy1978

Quite an interesting career path he's had so far. Playing a few pre season games for Man City before 100 odd games in L1 and a pretty untrodden path from that level into the Eredivisie before dropping back down again.

Obviously has something about him, decent attributes and someone you'd hope can grow with some decent coaching under McKenna.
Morecambe fans view on Greg Leigh, from the guy that runs Shrimps Online: on 19:19 - Jun 20 with 2188 viewssaffers12

Morecambe fans view on Greg Leigh, from the guy that runs Shrimps Online: on 19:01 - Jun 20 by itfcjoe

More on Leigh

As for Greg Leigh, I absolutely love him, probably my favourite player last season apart from Cole Stockton.

Tom has covered off most of what I would say about him but he also has a good long throw and I don’t think I’ve ever seen another full back with as good a leap and heading ability as him. Also a great novelty for us to have a Jamaican international in the team! Wasn’t that long ago that anyone who lived further South than Merseyside was considered exotic!

Joe do you think time is up for Penney?
Morecambe fans view on Greg Leigh, from the guy that runs Shrimps Online: on 19:23 - Jun 20 with 2162 viewsibbleobble

Kind of another Thompson then! It’s a little too late in his career to teach him how to cross so if he’s not doing it naturally by now, he won’t be whipping glorious, dangerous balls in to the box any time in the foreseeable even if it is a confidence thing.
Morecambe fans view on Greg Leigh, from the guy that runs Shrimps Online: on 19:28 - Jun 20 with 2136 viewsitfcjoe

Morecambe fans view on Greg Leigh, from the guy that runs Shrimps Online: on 19:19 - Jun 20 by saffers12

Joe do you think time is up for Penney?

I just don’t think he fits the athletic profile required, plus is weak defensively

Morecambe fans view on Greg Leigh, from the guy that runs Shrimps Online: on 19:33 - Jun 20 with 2091 viewsibbleobble

Morecambe fans view on Greg Leigh, from the guy that runs Shrimps Online: on 19:28 - Jun 20 by itfcjoe

I just don’t think he fits the athletic profile required, plus is weak defensively

I think you might be right. We’re clearly adding more physical stature and muscle to the ranks given the three signings to date. None overly inspiring but all offering good nous.
Morecambe fans view on Greg Leigh, from the guy that runs Shrimps Online: on 19:39 - Jun 20 with 2064 viewsVeggie

Morecambe fans view on Greg Leigh, from the guy that runs Shrimps Online: on 19:28 - Jun 20 by itfcjoe

It does seem incredible that only now have the club decided that we need athletic and physical players to be able to compete. Prior to Cook / McKenna we had a team of wishy washy pushovers. (I include Cook because he signed players like Morsy and Burns)
[Post edited 20 Jun 2022 19:42]
Morecambe fans view on Greg Leigh, from the guy that runs Shrimps Online: on 20:44 - Jun 20 with 1726 viewsitfcjoe

Morecambe fans view on Greg Leigh, from the guy that runs Shrimps Online: on 19:39 - Jun 20 by Veggie

It does seem incredible that only now have the club decided that we need athletic and physical players to be able to compete. Prior to Cook / McKenna we had a team of wishy washy pushovers. (I include Cook because he signed players like Morsy and Burns)
[Post edited 20 Jun 2022 19:42]

Since Mick left our talent identification and signings have been a pretty ramshackle sort of player - some physical, sone technical but nothing consistent.

At least last year we spent some money which helped but a lot of them like Fraser, Evans, Burgess lack a fair bit of mobility - that doesn’t seem to be the case now with what we are targeting

Morecambe fans view on Greg Leigh, from the guy that runs Shrimps Online: on 20:46 - Jun 20 with 1706 viewsSheffordBlue

Morecambe fans view on Greg Leigh, from the guy that runs Shrimps Online: on 20:44 - Jun 20 by itfcjoe

Since Mick left our talent identification and signings have been a pretty ramshackle sort of player - some physical, sone technical but nothing consistent.

At least last year we spent some money which helped but a lot of them like Fraser, Evans, Burgess lack a fair bit of mobility - that doesn’t seem to be the case now with what we are targeting

Certainly looks like Sam Williams has hit the ground running as Head of Recruitment

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024