Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault 20:45 - Jun 30 with 3467 viewsElderGrizzly

Well, resigning by keeping his job and salary of course…

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 23:30 - Jul 1 with 753 viewsSwansea_Blue

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 15:29 - Jul 1 by Darth_Koont

“Starter will do for now” ...

With the greatest possible respect, I suggest you take your head out of the sand and take a look around at a country utterly lacking in political leadership. The rudderless drift of the UK is of course a problem for a useless government but it is also a problem from an empty opposition that’s meant to show an alternative.

How are you going to change Starmer? He has “to do for now”, by the definition that he’s the leader of the opposition and there are very few opportunities to change him. As far as leaders of the big 2 parties go, it’s a two horse race until the next election unless either is booted out by their party. There’s no point pining for a fantasy 3rd leader. We all have to deal with the leaders and parties we have.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 23:37 - Jul 1 with 726 viewslowhouseblue

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 23:28 - Jul 1 by Darth_Koont

I know BoJo and Starmer are liars.

And anyone who says they aren’t is lying to themselves at best.

ah, such unchallengeable certainty and such deep thinking. message to self awareness - i fear darth koont may be a lost cause, move on, don't make eye contact.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 23:39 - Jul 1 with 711 viewsDarth_Koont

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 23:30 - Jul 1 by Swansea_Blue

How are you going to change Starmer? He has “to do for now”, by the definition that he’s the leader of the opposition and there are very few opportunities to change him. As far as leaders of the big 2 parties go, it’s a two horse race until the next election unless either is booted out by their party. There’s no point pining for a fantasy 3rd leader. We all have to deal with the leaders and parties we have.

I’ll take the opportunity to change him and Labour now rather than risk them going into an election without a point.

Accepting lying, dishonest and self-serving politicians has given us Brexit and then Johnson.

Pronouns: He/Him

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 23:40 - Jul 1 with 701 viewsDarth_Koont

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 23:37 - Jul 1 by lowhouseblue

ah, such unchallengeable certainty and such deep thinking. message to self awareness - i fear darth koont may be a lost cause, move on, don't make eye contact.

Gmpf.

You’re not very good at this.

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 23:42 - Jul 1 with 689 viewslowhouseblue

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 23:39 - Jul 1 by Darth_Koont

I’ll take the opportunity to change him and Labour now rather than risk them going into an election without a point.

Accepting lying, dishonest and self-serving politicians has given us Brexit and then Johnson.

losing popular votes gave us that. being a minority means you don't get to govern.

i know, it's complicated.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 23:45 - Jul 1 with 679 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 23:24 - Jul 1 by Darth_Koont

Giving poor, dishonest and self-serving politicians an easy ride is exactly why we are where we are.

We’re a couple of years from an election with the worst ever government and the worst ever opposition. We should be demanding a lot better before there’s no other choice.

“ We should be demanding a lot better before there’s no other choice.”

At last election we had a choice of two wealthy, privileged, bungling bigots. So at least this time will be a choice.
Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 23:50 - Jul 1 with 665 viewsDarth_Koont

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 23:42 - Jul 1 by lowhouseblue

losing popular votes gave us that. being a minority means you don't get to govern.

i know, it's complicated.

In the battle of populism, the People’s Vote got thumped by Get Brexit Done.

The People’s Vote lot weren’t very good, were they? Although to be fair they seemed more concerned with stymieing Labour from 2017-2019.

It really isn’t complicated.

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 23:54 - Jul 1 with 648 viewsDarth_Koont

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 23:45 - Jul 1 by SuperKieranMcKenna

“ We should be demanding a lot better before there’s no other choice.”

At last election we had a choice of two wealthy, privileged, bungling bigots. So at least this time will be a choice.

Starmer’s Labour has zero substance and offers no hope. Corbyn’s Labour had real policies and ideas, and finally offered hope to those who have been ignored for decades.

Even with an exceptionally easy ride and a chaotic joke of a government, there is barely any cut through and no sign the country would even be better with them in charge.

And please stop lying about Corbyn as a bigot or even comparable to Johnson. That’s just not true.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2022 23:56]

Login to get fewer ads

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 00:02 - Jul 2 with 629 viewslowhouseblue

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 23:50 - Jul 1 by Darth_Koont

In the battle of populism, the People’s Vote got thumped by Get Brexit Done.

The People’s Vote lot weren’t very good, were they? Although to be fair they seemed more concerned with stymieing Labour from 2017-2019.

It really isn’t complicated.

what? this is lovely but it doesn't relate in any way to my post. i'm guessing the answer is "yes but corbyn", but that's only a guess.

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 00:09 - Jul 2 with 618 viewsDarth_Koont

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 00:02 - Jul 2 by lowhouseblue

what? this is lovely but it doesn't relate in any way to my post. i'm guessing the answer is "yes but corbyn", but that's only a guess.

I felt like addressing the last popular vote.

If it was so important why was it bungled so badly by Starmer and the ultra-Remainers?

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 07:01 - Jul 2 with 543 viewsGlasgowBlue

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 21:52 - Jul 1 by Darth_Koont

Go on.

When have I backed a lying politician? I know when you have.

You backed Corbyn despite his lies over laying a wreath at the graves of Black September terrorists, donating money to Paul Eissen, a self confessed Holocaust denier and his time as a paid presenter for the Iranian state television channel.

But you know this. We’ve done it so many times, and the last thing the good folk of TWTD need is the two of us going back and forwards over ten or so pages.

My gif simply represented my astonishment at your lack of self awareness. No more and no less. No need for a long thread.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 09:33 - Jul 2 with 522 viewsDarth_Koont

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 07:01 - Jul 2 by GlasgowBlue

You backed Corbyn despite his lies over laying a wreath at the graves of Black September terrorists, donating money to Paul Eissen, a self confessed Holocaust denier and his time as a paid presenter for the Iranian state television channel.

But you know this. We’ve done it so many times, and the last thing the good folk of TWTD need is the two of us going back and forwards over ten or so pages.

My gif simply represented my astonishment at your lack of self awareness. No more and no less. No need for a long thread.

I know your smeary accusations. I asked what his lies were.

Don’t spout disingenuous b@ll@cks and I won’t respond. There’s the end to your Corbyn 10-pager.

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 10:34 - Jul 2 with 488 viewstractordownsouth

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 23:54 - Jul 1 by Darth_Koont

Starmer’s Labour has zero substance and offers no hope. Corbyn’s Labour had real policies and ideas, and finally offered hope to those who have been ignored for decades.

Even with an exceptionally easy ride and a chaotic joke of a government, there is barely any cut through and no sign the country would even be better with them in charge.

And please stop lying about Corbyn as a bigot or even comparable to Johnson. That’s just not true.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2022 23:56]

Plenty of new policies here. If you didn't already support the £28bn green investment, banning zero hour contracts, cutting NI and increasing universal credit.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 10:38 - Jul 2 with 471 viewsGlasgowBlue

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 09:33 - Jul 2 by Darth_Koont

I know your smeary accusations. I asked what his lies were.

Don’t spout disingenuous b@ll@cks and I won’t respond. There’s the end to your Corbyn 10-pager.

Well done for proving my point.

Iron Lion Zion

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 10:47 - Jul 2 with 468 viewsDarth_Koont

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 10:34 - Jul 2 by tractordownsouth

Plenty of new policies here. If you didn't already support the £28bn green investment, banning zero hour contracts, cutting NI and increasing universal credit.

It’s relatively weak stuff though isn’t it? And the devil is in the detail. Even the green investment using private enterprise looks limited in scope and effect while our power companies remain private and the infrastructure investment remains low. This needs a more concerted and government-controlled response in all countries, including the UK.

The stronger position around LGBT+ is much better, I agree. It’s only a wedge issue for a limited number of potential Labour voters anyway including a few people on here.

The bigger problem of course is whether we believe that these things will happen or they’re just more “pledges” to be discarded even before an election, let alone afterwards. After the past half-dozen years, I don’t trust this lot on anything.

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 10:50 - Jul 2 with 454 viewsDarth_Koont

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 10:38 - Jul 2 by GlasgowBlue

Well done for proving my point.

A point you’re pretending you made? Never change, Glassers.

None of these accusations hold up when you dig into them. Now what’s the word I’m looking for ...? Starts with “sm” and ends in “ear”.

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 11:03 - Jul 2 with 434 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 10:50 - Jul 2 by Darth_Koont

A point you’re pretending you made? Never change, Glassers.

None of these accusations hold up when you dig into them. Now what’s the word I’m looking for ...? Starts with “sm” and ends in “ear”.

If they were smears, then the biggest enemy of Corbyn is Jeremy Corbyn.

Spending a career calling racists, enablers and bigots his friends, or appearing on their TV shows is going to make it very easy to “smear” him as…. A racist, enabler, or a bigot.

In which case he’s either unlucky, or hopelessly thick (given his educational achievements definitely a possibility).

Perhaps time to get behind Starmer, or get behind the Greens?
Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 11:05 - Jul 2 with 430 viewstractordownsouth

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 10:47 - Jul 2 by Darth_Koont

It’s relatively weak stuff though isn’t it? And the devil is in the detail. Even the green investment using private enterprise looks limited in scope and effect while our power companies remain private and the infrastructure investment remains low. This needs a more concerted and government-controlled response in all countries, including the UK.

The stronger position around LGBT+ is much better, I agree. It’s only a wedge issue for a limited number of potential Labour voters anyway including a few people on here.

The bigger problem of course is whether we believe that these things will happen or they’re just more “pledges” to be discarded even before an election, let alone afterwards. After the past half-dozen years, I don’t trust this lot on anything.

Some of it was in the Corbyn manifesto - was it weak stuff then? And besides, nobody releases the majority of their policies before an election anyway, whether that's Blair, Brown, Miliband, Corbyn or Starmer.

I think it's a big conference this year because we'll likely have a 2023 election so a lot more will need to be set out, which will be interesting to see. However it seems that the people who have been arguing "there are no policies" have been saying the same thing since 2020 but now when the leadership sets out positions they don't seem to like that either?

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 11:16 - Jul 2 with 412 viewsDarth_Koont

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 11:05 - Jul 2 by tractordownsouth

Some of it was in the Corbyn manifesto - was it weak stuff then? And besides, nobody releases the majority of their policies before an election anyway, whether that's Blair, Brown, Miliband, Corbyn or Starmer.

I think it's a big conference this year because we'll likely have a 2023 election so a lot more will need to be set out, which will be interesting to see. However it seems that the people who have been arguing "there are no policies" have been saying the same thing since 2020 but now when the leadership sets out positions they don't seem to like that either?

Sure, some of it was in Corbyn’s manifesto. But the watering down is a problem when you already don’t trust them to deliver on basics like these.

We’ve had a pandemic and now a cost of living crisis that has exposed the need for change. I’m still amazed that people could wilfully choose not to see the real problems back in 2019 but now??!! Even so we still can’t have an opposition that will provide meaningful opposition and a meaningful change of direction. Just tinkering.

But I do want to repeat that the LGBT+ position is a good one. But they need to defend it and promote it when it matters rather than triangulating again. And how compatible are the views of people like Duffield now? Let’s see.

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 11:21 - Jul 2 with 405 viewsDarth_Koont

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 11:03 - Jul 2 by SuperKieranMcKenna

If they were smears, then the biggest enemy of Corbyn is Jeremy Corbyn.

Spending a career calling racists, enablers and bigots his friends, or appearing on their TV shows is going to make it very easy to “smear” him as…. A racist, enabler, or a bigot.

In which case he’s either unlucky, or hopelessly thick (given his educational achievements definitely a possibility).

Perhaps time to get behind Starmer, or get behind the Greens?

You could make far worse accusations against Blair, Cameron, May and Johnson on those grounds. And those were as actual government representatives with power, not a backbencher who fights against injustice and racism.

You know all that but you were more than happy to wave through those smeary attacks and chuck in a couple of your own for good measure.

Enabling hypocritical, dishonest and self-serving politics isn’t a good look.

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 11:51 - Jul 2 with 385 viewsGlasgowBlue

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 11:21 - Jul 2 by Darth_Koont

You could make far worse accusations against Blair, Cameron, May and Johnson on those grounds. And those were as actual government representatives with power, not a backbencher who fights against injustice and racism.

You know all that but you were more than happy to wave through those smeary attacks and chuck in a couple of your own for good measure.

Enabling hypocritical, dishonest and self-serving politics isn’t a good look.

So you've gone from denial to smear and now to whatabouterry.

But it's not a cult.

Iron Lion Zion

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 11:55 - Jul 2 with 379 viewsDarth_Koont

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 11:51 - Jul 2 by GlasgowBlue

So you've gone from denial to smear and now to whatabouterry.

But it's not a cult.

No, I’m pointing out your and others’ lack of standards when the game of politics is underway.

If they gave out yellow cards for political simulation, you’d be banned for more games than you’d ever play.

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 17:51 - Jul 2 with 299 viewstractordownsouth

Another Tory MP resigning due to sexual assault on 11:16 - Jul 2 by Darth_Koont

Sure, some of it was in Corbyn’s manifesto. But the watering down is a problem when you already don’t trust them to deliver on basics like these.

We’ve had a pandemic and now a cost of living crisis that has exposed the need for change. I’m still amazed that people could wilfully choose not to see the real problems back in 2019 but now??!! Even so we still can’t have an opposition that will provide meaningful opposition and a meaningful change of direction. Just tinkering.

But I do want to repeat that the LGBT+ position is a good one. But they need to defend it and promote it when it matters rather than triangulating again. And how compatible are the views of people like Duffield now? Let’s see.

With the tinkering thing, I think it's only fair to assess that once the full manifesto is out so it can be judged whether it's good enough or not. Surely radical change is only radical when the full picture is clear? Housing is the one I'm really interested in seeing - it's probably the biggest challenge we face, especially for younger generations (outside of climate but policies have been set out for that already.) If it were up to me, as well as the obvious solution of building more houses I'd ban all future buy to let mortgages.

As for more creative solutions, I'd like to implement a rule whereby any future rental properties must have been lived in by the owner for a particular time period (maybe at least 2 years) before being let out. Mainly to stop wealthier people buying up rental housing in areas they have no intention of living in and pricing locals out, which seems to be happening more and more often. I saw an article not long ago about how 10% of all rentals in Edinburgh were owned by 15 people - having a residency requirement would stop that sort of thing happening. I think that could be framed quite positively, if it could be presented as a way of getting those with more than 1 home to pay their dues to a community if they want to generate profit, rather than just being seen as envy.

I'm not sure how it would work in practice but I'd like to think there could be cross-party agreement on a bill requiring lenders to consider rent payments as evidence of mortgage affordability as well.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024