Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Arsenal 5-1 Ipswich 15:21 - Jul 2 with 6049 viewsUppaTowen78

Arsenal 5-1 Ipswich on 09:37 - Jul 3 with 1063 viewsBluefields

Arsenal 5-1 Ipswich on 07:09 - Jul 3 by DJR

Yes, we couldn't cope with their pace, movement and pressing. The positives to draw are (1) there aren't players like that in Division 1 (2) our resources were spread over the two teams, whereas Arsenal front-loaded their teams, and won the first half 4-0 (3) we're only a week or so into training (4) the players have got valuable miles on the clock. Incidentally, the highlights show Burgess caught out on a couple of occasions, which makes me think we will look to offload him.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2022 7:46]

Based on a pre season, behind closed doors friendly?
Arsenal 5-1 Ipswich on 09:45 - Jul 3 with 1054 viewsDJR

Arsenal 5-1 Ipswich on 09:37 - Jul 3 by Bluefields

Based on a pre season, behind closed doors friendly?

If you're talking about Burgess, it's not just the friendly, but my observations on him last season, and what I think McK looks for in defenders. Of course, I may be completely wrong.
Arsenal 5-1 Ipswich on 10:05 - Jul 3 with 1019 viewsChrisd

You look at Arsenal’s first goal, why do teams insist on playing the ball out from the back and make unnecessary passes that gets team mates in trouble, instead of simply knocking it long and regrouping and getting back into shape? I appreciate you’re giving the ball away, but surely that’s better than conceding a goal? I know it’s the modern way, but sometimes I think it’s unnecessary.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Arsenal 5-1 Ipswich on 11:35 - Jul 3 with 949 viewsJDB23

Watching those highlights makes you realise just how far down the football pyramid we are, made us look like amateurs in some of those passages of play. Still, hopefully it’s a good learning experience, especially dealing with the press.
Arsenal 5-1 Ipswich on 11:43 - Jul 3 with 946 viewsunstableblue

Arsenal 5-1 Ipswich on 11:35 - Jul 3 by JDB23

Watching those highlights makes you realise just how far down the football pyramid we are, made us look like amateurs in some of those passages of play. Still, hopefully it’s a good learning experience, especially dealing with the press.

Yup, did look quite the gulf in class.

And looking through their Twitter feed, you realise the scale of Arsenal as a club and enterprise…. It saying our socials aren’t well done, they are, it’s just we’re a small footprint.

The Ed Sheeran exposure helps us punch much higher than our weight.

I do think back to the start of the second season in the premier league, we were getting so much prime time coverage, the streets and pubs and hospitality were rammed… the buzz round the place. I did feel like we were getting a feel of that buzz again with the pack out Portman road… pioneer packed to the rafters and into the restricted view seats.

The amount Leicester have spent on infrastructure, players and soon again ground to try and compete with these behemoth clubs is remarkable / their training ground is now best in Premiership. And to think we were at the same scale and potential.

It’s going to take a Herculean effort to rise through the ranks. Hopefully on McKennas shoulders.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Arsenal 5-1 Ipswich on 11:51 - Jul 3 with 931 viewsChrisd

Arsenal 5-1 Ipswich on 11:43 - Jul 3 by unstableblue

And looking through their Twitter feed, you realise the scale of Arsenal as a club and enterprise…. It saying our socials aren’t well done, they are, it’s just we’re a small footprint.

I do think back to the start of the second season in the premier league, we were getting so much prime time coverage, the streets and pubs and hospitality were rammed… the buzz round the place. I did feel like we were getting a feel of that buzz again with the pack out Portman road… pioneer packed to the rafters and into the restricted view seats.

The amount Leicester have spent on infrastructure, players and soon again ground to try and compete with these behemoth clubs is remarkable / their training ground is now best in Premiership. And to think we were at the same scale and potential.

It’s going to take a Herculean effort to rise through the ranks. Hopefully on McKennas shoulders.

Yet, teams have shown it can still be done even languishing in L1 for periods of time - Nottingham Forest, Leeds United, Southampton, Manchester City and Brentford to name a few. All hope is not lost, it’s just where we find ourselves currently after some extremely poor mismanagement of the club over the last 15 years.

Arsenal 5-1 Ipswich on 11:59 - Jul 3 with 917 viewsJDB23

Arsenal 5-1 Ipswich on 11:43 - Jul 3 by unstableblue

The amount of money in the game now is almost incomprehensible. As you say we were on an even field with Leicester a decade ago, they now have a training ground that cost double our whole clubs worth. We’ve started moving in the right direction after years of Evans neglect, but for all the gains we’re making off the field, they will be meaningless if we don’t perform on it. We really do need to hit the ground running this season.
Arsenal 5-1 Ipswich on 12:11 - Jul 3 with 909 viewsunstableblue

Arsenal 5-1 Ipswich on 11:51 - Jul 3 by Chrisd

Yet, teams have shown it can still be done even languishing in L1 for periods of time - Nottingham Forest, Leeds United, Southampton, Manchester City and Brentford to name a few. All hope is not lost, it’s just where we find ourselves currently after some extremely poor mismanagement of the club over the last 15 years.

Yeah - I think if Forest can get it right, stay up, and build, they could become a Leicester. Have the fan base with potential for more.

Think the loss of Spence could be huge for them though. I watched a lot of their games and we was soooo good and pivotal.

I think Leeds and Man City are different animals, big cities, big fan base, just need the right backers and they’d grow further.

Brentford are a model of how a club could be run - not saying having no academy is good - but they are punching so high given a fan base of what a third? Half of ours?

Login to get fewer ads

Arsenal 5-1 Ipswich on 12:18 - Jul 3 with 886 viewsChrisd

Arsenal 5-1 Ipswich on 12:11 - Jul 3 by unstableblue

Yeah - I think if Forest can get it right, stay up, and build, they could become a Leicester. Have the fan base with potential for more.

Think the loss of Spence could be huge for them though. I watched a lot of their games and we was soooo good and pivotal.

I think Leeds and Man City are different animals, big cities, big fan base, just need the right backers and they’d grow further.

Brentford are a model of how a club could be run - not saying having no academy is good - but they are punching so high given a fan base of what a third? Half of ours?

Feel there are a lot things that compare us with Forest. After they got promoted via the play offs in May, Sky Sports did a story on them based on what happened to them after their previous relegation from the EPL in 1999. So much of their journey is similar to ours. Feel they’ll be a very good addition to the EPL this season and the backing they will get from their own fans is tremendous. The City Ground will be a cauldron of noise for visiting teams and packed to the rafters.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2022 12:21]

Arsenal 5-1 Ipswich on 12:19 - Jul 3 with 877 viewsunstableblue

Arsenal 5-1 Ipswich on 11:59 - Jul 3 by JDB23

The amount of money in the game now is almost incomprehensible. As you say we were on an even field with Leicester a decade ago, they now have a training ground that cost double our whole clubs worth. We’ve started moving in the right direction after years of Evans neglect, but for all the gains we’re making off the field, they will be meaningless if we don’t perform on it. We really do need to hit the ground running this season.

Yeah £100m for a training ground seems insane!

https://images.app.goo.gl/Z2yVCQBPRkUjZfvu5

But it’s clearly a strategy… how do you purseade a £20m player (whose value can grow to £50m) to join Leicester over say Arsenal, or a Wolves, or a Everton… show them those facilities…

And then these plans… https://www.lcfc.com/stadiumconsultation

Jesus fecking h Christ! Those developments

God we need to get out of this league and FAST!

Bournemouth are the feckin Premiership for gods sake

Arsenal 5-1 Ipswich on 12:27 - Jul 3 with 853 viewsunstableblue

Arsenal 5-1 Ipswich on 12:18 - Jul 3 by Chrisd

Feel there are a lot things that compare us with Forest. After they got promoted via the play offs in May, Sky Sports did a story on them based on what happened to them after their previous relegation from the EPL in 1999. So much of their journey is similar to ours. Feel they’ll be a very good addition to the EPL this season and the backing they will get from their own fans is tremendous. The City Ground will be a cauldron of noise for visiting teams and packed to the rafters.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2022 12:21]

I think people forget what a difference a strong intimidation atmosphere can make to visiting teams.. even top premier league sides/players get affected by it

Our atmosphere is not as good as we think in my view… north stand lower was a real mixed bag, with the central and west sections just spectators. Has to improve.

Arsenal 5-1 Ipswich on 14:01 - Jul 3 with 772 viewsDJR

Arsenal 5-1 Ipswich on 10:05 - Jul 3 by Chrisd

You look at Arsenal’s first goal, why do teams insist on playing the ball out from the back and make unnecessary passes that gets team mates in trouble, instead of simply knocking it long and regrouping and getting back into shape? I appreciate you’re giving the ball away, but surely that’s better than conceding a goal? I know it’s the modern way, but sometimes I think it’s unnecessary.

It is certainly risky doing it straight from the kick-off, which is what we did, and which led to a goal in the opening minutes. But it is the McK way, and with hopefully a few better players next season we'll get much better at it, but also learn when not to do it.
Arsenal 5-1 Ipswich on 14:03 - Jul 3 with 761 viewsSheffordBlue

Arsenal 5-1 Ipswich on 14:01 - Jul 3 by DJR

It is certainly risky doing it straight from the kick-off, which is what we did, and which led to a goal in the opening minutes. But it is the McK way, and with hopefully a few better players next season we'll get much better at it, but also learn when not to do it.

From kickoff last season - even under McKenna - we'd typically play a deep, high ball and try to challenge for the header. This is a training game though - they'll learn more from being put under pressure and what went wrong than playing it safe.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Arsenal 5-1 Ipswich on 01:11 - Jul 4 with 596 viewsBonneNIL

Arsenal 5-1 Ipswich on 18:30 - Jul 2 by Swansea_Blue

BonneNIL arriving in 5,4,3…..

Thanks for the shout-out and the incitement to get people to have a pop at me, really good of you. I have been working so I missed this one but nice to know the toxicity is strong in you.

As for the result, given half our team wasn't the strongest losing 5-1 against Arsenal, whose second string is lightyears ahead of us, it's a pretty fair result and I couldn't frankly care much about these games, as I would expect the likes of Arsenal, West Ham, Millwall to beat us as much as I would expect us to roll over Needham.

Now can we put to playground stuff to bed, or are you going to make this a thing to try and target me now?

As for being DaveU, either prove it or I would ask the admins to ban you for making that up to target me? Pretty sad.

Poll: Best Adidas Home Shirt of the Modern Era

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024