Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not much of a tennis watcher 21:20 - Jul 2 with 3713 viewsZXBlue

But how does this obnoxious unsporting bully of a creature get away with it?

A footballer who spits at the crowd, abuses refs and engages in repeated agression and intimdation towards opponents gets a long ban.

Just how weak is the officiating?
Not much of a tennis watcher on 10:40 - Jul 3 with 1021 viewsZXBlue

Not much of a tennis watcher on 10:38 - Jul 3 by timothyeo

You have to be the softest of soft to call psychological match play 'bullying'

It's elite sport.

Not sure what else you would call the way he treats officials trying to do their job.
Not much of a tennis watcher on 12:49 - Jul 3 with 973 viewsChurchman

I thought Kyrgios was an absolute disgrace. What he was doing was gamesmanship, pure and simple. He looked to put off the other bloke at every opportunity.

Ok, the other bloke shouldn’t have lost his rag and deserved the punishment he will get, but I understand that everyone has a breaking point.

Kyrgios has a history of this and has chucked games before. He should not be in the game.

Not a big fan of tennis but that was entertainment though!
Not much of a tennis watcher on 13:10 - Jul 3 with 953 viewstimothyeo

Not much of a tennis watcher on 10:40 - Jul 3 by ZXBlue

Not sure what else you would call the way he treats officials trying to do their job.

No, Tsitpas suggested he himself was being bullied by his antics, that's soft and probably why he's lost twice to him in a month.
Not much of a tennis watcher on 13:50 - Jul 3 with 924 viewsnshearman1

Not much of a tennis watcher on 13:10 - Jul 3 by timothyeo

No, Tsitpas suggested he himself was being bullied by his antics, that's soft and probably why he's lost twice to him in a month.

Your simplistic notions of 'soft' and 'hard' rather betray you. Certainly Tsitsipas has been hard enough to reach a Grand Slam Final, Kyrgios has been so soft he's never got beyond a quarter-final. That's down to his own mental issues. Certainly he'll come up against other players who will stand up to his bullying better than Tsitsipas has done thus far; and certainly the tennis authorities need to have in place proper controls for bullying self-obsessed thugs.
Not much of a tennis watcher on 13:52 - Jul 3 with 923 viewsStenvict

Not much of a tennis watcher on 10:40 - Jul 3 by ZXBlue

Some of the calls from the line judges this year have been shocking, and that's what Kygrios has, rightfully, been complaining about a lot.

Yesterday he did not say anything towards or against Tsitsipas in those 1st 2 sets, it's not Kygrios' fault that Tsitsipas got so wound up.

Also, Tsitsipas has also done his fair share of gamesmanship. I remember players complaining about him having extended toilet breaks to talk to his coach at the US Open.

Poll: What will be announced first?

Not much of a tennis watcher on 14:08 - Jul 3 with 909 viewsnshearman1

Not much of a tennis watcher on 13:52 - Jul 3 by Stenvict

Some of the calls from the line judges this year have been shocking, and that's what Kygrios has, rightfully, been complaining about a lot.

Yesterday he did not say anything towards or against Tsitsipas in those 1st 2 sets, it's not Kygrios' fault that Tsitsipas got so wound up.

Also, Tsitsipas has also done his fair share of gamesmanship. I remember players complaining about him having extended toilet breaks to talk to his coach at the US Open.

I take your points, but what Kyrgios did was simple downright bullying. It was bullying of officials including the referee, who did nothing effective to contain him, and thereby bullying of his opponent by disrupting the whole game and turning it into a pantomime. That's unacceptable. Once the officials are undermined, sport becomes farce.
Not much of a tennis watcher on 14:13 - Jul 3 with 902 viewsStenvict

Not much of a tennis watcher on 14:08 - Jul 3 by nshearman1

I take your points, but what Kyrgios did was simple downright bullying. It was bullying of officials including the referee, who did nothing effective to contain him, and thereby bullying of his opponent by disrupting the whole game and turning it into a pantomime. That's unacceptable. Once the officials are undermined, sport becomes farce.

I can see why people don't like him, but that's why I do like him. He's unorthodox, he doesn't take it too seriously, and he's entertaining. Bublik is the same, but without the moaning. 6 under arm serves in 1 service game is fun to watch. I'd rather watch those 2 play in the earlier rounds than some of the top seeds that seem to just cruise through the rounds.

Not much of a tennis watcher on 14:15 - Jul 3 with 898 viewsStokieBlue

Not much of a tennis watcher on 22:59 - Jul 2 by nshearman1

The point is that Tsitsipas’ actions were a direct result of being wound up by Kyrgios’ antics and bullying behaviour towards the officials, which they signally failed to control. Tsitsipas has no particular record of doing that kind of thing. Kyrgios has. If he’s allowed to continue in this way someone will most likely get physically hurt. He’s a total c**k, and tennis needs to have stronger rules in place to control the occasional spoilt brat.

Tsitsipas is no angel either.

He has been accused by a number of players of abusing toilet breaks and had a 8 minute one against Murray last year after just losing a set I believe. In fact he was abusing the situation so bad he was being booed frequently and they actually had to change the rules to limit the toilet breaks.

https://www.tennis365.com/tennis-news/tennis-stefanos-tsitsipas-bathroom-break-r

The smacking of the ball into the crowd was nothing to do with Kyrgios, he was just annoyed he lost his serve and the set. He should have been heavily punished but wasn't hence Krygios losing it then. He also then started deliberately trying to hit Kygrios with smashes and volleys.

Kyrgios was correct in a number of things he said (the officiating was pretty poor) but he really needs to tone it down and not be so rude to umpires. As for the crowd, he shouldn't have risen to the person the other day but he's had previous run-ins with the crowd (slightly different as these were over racial abuse).

He will get chucked out of a grandslam at some point though unless he can control himself better.

He's a brilliant tennis player, which is often forgotten amongst everything else.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Not much of a tennis watcher on 14:39 - Jul 3 with 863 viewsnshearman1

Not much of a tennis watcher on 14:15 - Jul 3 by StokieBlue

Tsitsipas is no angel either.

He has been accused by a number of players of abusing toilet breaks and had a 8 minute one against Murray last year after just losing a set I believe. In fact he was abusing the situation so bad he was being booed frequently and they actually had to change the rules to limit the toilet breaks.

https://www.tennis365.com/tennis-news/tennis-stefanos-tsitsipas-bathroom-break-r

The smacking of the ball into the crowd was nothing to do with Kyrgios, he was just annoyed he lost his serve and the set. He should have been heavily punished but wasn't hence Krygios losing it then. He also then started deliberately trying to hit Kygrios with smashes and volleys.

Kyrgios was correct in a number of things he said (the officiating was pretty poor) but he really needs to tone it down and not be so rude to umpires. As for the crowd, he shouldn't have risen to the person the other day but he's had previous run-ins with the crowd (slightly different as these were over racial abuse).

He will get chucked out of a grandslam at some point though unless he can control himself better.

He's a brilliant tennis player, which is often forgotten amongst everything else.

SB

With all due respect - and this is my last comment on the matter - this is all deflection from the key point which is that Kyrgios' behaviour was bullying towards officials and Tsitsipas, and that is unacceptable. Undoubtedly Tsitsipas is no angel, doesn't make any difference. Undoubtedly Tsitsipas reacted badly, but again that doesn't make what Kyrgios initially started right. And undoubtedly Kyrgios is brilliant, the fact that it's often forgotten and that he's gone nowhere near as high as his skills might allow him is down to his own dumb behaviour.
Not much of a tennis watcher on 14:49 - Jul 3 with 835 viewsStokieBlue

Not much of a tennis watcher on 14:39 - Jul 3 by nshearman1

With all due respect - and this is my last comment on the matter - this is all deflection from the key point which is that Kyrgios' behaviour was bullying towards officials and Tsitsipas, and that is unacceptable. Undoubtedly Tsitsipas is no angel, doesn't make any difference. Undoubtedly Tsitsipas reacted badly, but again that doesn't make what Kyrgios initially started right. And undoubtedly Kyrgios is brilliant, the fact that it's often forgotten and that he's gone nowhere near as high as his skills might allow him is down to his own dumb behaviour.

The word "bullying" was specifically used by Tsitsipas in very much a victims press conference and has been seized on by some.

The officials were poor in a number of decisions. I totally agree that Kyrgios shouldn't have acted as he did but it seems code violations by Tsitsipas are being dismissed as frustration but code violations by Kyrgios borne from frustrations with the officials who didn't seem to be right are something different.

Seems to be a double standard being applied here.

As per my previous post, I am not excusing Kyrgios actions, just feel there is more context here than some will admit.

SB

Not much of a tennis watcher on 22:04 - Jul 3 with 756 viewsStokieBlue

Not much of a tennis watcher on 14:39 - Jul 3 by nshearman1

So both players issued with fines for the match.

Kyrgios - 4,000
Tsitsipas - 10,000

SB

Not much of a tennis watcher on 22:22 - Jul 3 with 729 viewsZXBlue

Not much of a tennis watcher on 22:04 - Jul 3 by StokieBlue

So both players issued with fines for the match.

Kyrgios - 4,000
Tsitsipas - 10,000

SB

Ridiculous given the behaviour. Has he been fined and banned for the spitting yet? A footballer would have done.
Not much of a tennis watcher on 12:20 - Jul 4 with 607 viewsStenvict

Not much of a tennis watcher on 22:22 - Jul 3 by ZXBlue

Ridiculous given the behaviour. Has he been fined and banned for the spitting yet? A footballer would have done.

There's a big difference between spitting in the direction of someone, and spitting on someone. He was about 10 metres away from the person, he spat about 20cm.

Look forward to watching some more entertaining tennis from him today.

Not much of a tennis watcher on 12:30 - Jul 4 with 594 viewsLankHenners

Not much of a tennis watcher on 22:22 - Jul 3 by ZXBlue

Yes he was fined for spitting and comparing team sports with individual ones in cases like this is apples and oranges.

Individual sports require personalities to do a lot of the heavy lifting in terms of boosting their profile and Kyrgios is box office. Get him in the final I say.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Not much of a tennis watcher on 12:39 - Jul 4 with 578 viewsRob88

Watching him today on centre court. I don’t condone all of his behaviour however if I am honest I am looking forward to watching him, especially if things get a bit spicy.
Not much of a tennis watcher on 14:32 - Jul 4 with 556 viewsBogblue

Not much of a tennis watcher on 12:39 - Jul 4 by Rob88

Watching him today on centre court. I don’t condone all of his behaviour however if I am honest I am looking forward to watching him, especially if things get a bit spicy.

That's how some bullies get away with it time after time. Some people find them entertaining, so they're allowed to carry on because they attract footfall and money
Not much of a tennis watcher on 14:52 - Jul 4 with 546 viewsRob88

Not much of a tennis watcher on 14:32 - Jul 4 by Bogblue

That's how some bullies get away with it time after time. Some people find them entertaining, so they're allowed to carry on because they attract footfall and money

He’s not a bully.
Not much of a tennis watcher on 15:15 - Jul 4 with 523 viewsChrisd

Not much of a tennis watcher on 14:52 - Jul 4 by Rob88

He’s not a bully.

He’s a very complex character. He’s like the tennis equivalent of Ronnie O’Sullivan. Both these two play their respective games and can make it look easy, like he has today, but they have that other side to them which can have that negative effect when they feel everything is against them. Kyrigos looks focused and controlled today.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2022 15:44]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024