Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Michael Chopra 09:32 - Aug 2 with 1954 viewssolemio

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62283858

Interesting article about how Chopra has turned his life around. Understandably so much critical about him on here over the years.
Michael Chopra on 09:36 - Aug 2 with 1861 viewsSitfcB

Statman has him lined up for his next interview…

[Post edited 2 Aug 2022 9:41]

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Michael Chopra on 09:55 - Aug 2 with 1742 viewsParsley

Thanks for posting. Talented player who probably could have had most of his career in the Premier League if it wasn't for all his off-field issues. Makes you think that you don't always know what's going on in peoples lives. Really nice to see that he's doing stuff to make a positive impact now.
Michael Chopra on 10:05 - Aug 2 with 1668 viewsunbelievablue

Thanks for that.

This board has always reacted pretty well, on the whole, when it comes to gambling addiction. But I do feel that some are quick to react and criticise those struggling with it - some even going so far as to question whether it can be a real addiction. Individual responsibility is a factor, but not the be all and end all, and it's important to recognise that there is nuance, and every case is different.

I would reiterate though that gambling can absolutely and unequivocally become an addiction like that of substances - the scientific research backs this up. Indeed, all the advertisements, the ways FOBTs are set up (the noises, lights, and proliferation of 'near wins' now programmed in to the machines) are designed to manipulate specific parts of the brain unfortunately conducive to problem gambling among those affected.

If anyone is interested, I wrote about my struggled a few year's ago (albeit through the lens of The Simpsons!): https://joshwa1990.medium.com/pringfield-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-l

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Michael Chopra on 13:22 - Aug 2 with 1240 viewsblueasfook

Great to see he's turned a corner. Hopefully he has finally beaten his addiction for good.

TWTD Veteran
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Michael Chopra on 15:34 - Aug 2 with 1058 viewsKropotkin123

Michael Chopra on 10:05 - Aug 2 by unbelievablue

Thanks for that.

This board has always reacted pretty well, on the whole, when it comes to gambling addiction. But I do feel that some are quick to react and criticise those struggling with it - some even going so far as to question whether it can be a real addiction. Individual responsibility is a factor, but not the be all and end all, and it's important to recognise that there is nuance, and every case is different.

I would reiterate though that gambling can absolutely and unequivocally become an addiction like that of substances - the scientific research backs this up. Indeed, all the advertisements, the ways FOBTs are set up (the noises, lights, and proliferation of 'near wins' now programmed in to the machines) are designed to manipulate specific parts of the brain unfortunately conducive to problem gambling among those affected.

If anyone is interested, I wrote about my struggled a few year's ago (albeit through the lens of The Simpsons!): https://joshwa1990.medium.com/pringfield-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-l

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Yeah, the manipulation part is important and it is infecting football. Short sponsorship, adverts on iFollow, how EA Sport has gambling embedded into the football games, the lack of choice to turn it off from the things we like doing.

In the same way cigarette adverts were banned, I believe betting ones should. If it wasn't an effective way to get people get gamble more, then they wouldn't do it.

Having Magical Vegas was a low point for the club. I certainly would never have bought a Magical Vegas top.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Michael Chopra on 16:27 - Aug 2 with 976 viewsSimonds92

Michael Chopra on 15:34 - Aug 2 by Kropotkin123

Yeah, the manipulation part is important and it is infecting football. Short sponsorship, adverts on iFollow, how EA Sport has gambling embedded into the football games, the lack of choice to turn it off from the things we like doing.

In the same way cigarette adverts were banned, I believe betting ones should. If it wasn't an effective way to get people get gamble more, then they wouldn't do it.

Having Magical Vegas was a low point for the club. I certainly would never have bought a Magical Vegas top.

Id say in all honesty it was a bit disappointing having the skybet advertising all over our new advertising boards. I know theyre the league sponsors and their logo is everywhere but having it a bit more interactive trying to draw attention wasnt great. They all seem to promote deposit limits at the minute which straight away acknowledges there is a problem.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2022 17:23]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024