Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
He comes from Africa, he drives a big tractor nt 15:00 - Sep 1 with 3116 viewsSkip_Intro

He comes from Africa, he drives a big tractor nt on 14:25 - Sep 2 with 620 viewsjayessess

He comes from Africa, he drives a big tractor nt on 14:14 - Sep 2 by Skip_Intro

nobody called him "an African" - the chant says he comes from Africa...which he does...

He is also African, it's not the accuracy here that is the issue, but about how people feel about their identity in a particular context.

Like I say, not necessarily a huge issue, but the perception that you're being ascribed by others a sort of undifferentiated African identity without acknowledgement of specificities is definitely something I've known people to feel irritated by.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2022 14:33]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

He comes from Africa, he drives a big tractor nt on 15:46 - Sep 2 with 569 viewsblueasfook

He comes from Africa, he drives a big tractor nt on 14:25 - Sep 2 by jayessess

He is also African, it's not the accuracy here that is the issue, but about how people feel about their identity in a particular context.

Like I say, not necessarily a huge issue, but the perception that you're being ascribed by others a sort of undifferentiated African identity without acknowledgement of specificities is definitely something I've known people to feel irritated by.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2022 14:33]

Understand. I would hate to be assigned some generic European identity.

That would lump me in with French, Germans and (perish the thought) Belgians. Ugh!

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

He comes from Africa, he drives a big tractor nt on 17:35 - Sep 2 with 538 viewsBigCommon

He comes from Africa, he drives a big tractor nt on 10:04 - Sep 2 by jayessess

Don't think it's a huge thing but ... Africa's a big, diverse continent, that's often stereotyped and treated as a monolith. Not uncommon for people to feel a bit uncomfortable about being referred to as "an African" by Europeans who would usually be more precise when thinking about the people's origins.

See what you mean..
He comes from Africa, he drives a big tractor nt on 18:00 - Sep 2 with 524 viewsSwansea_Blue

He comes from Africa, he drives a big tractor nt on 14:12 - Sep 2 by Leaky

Well there's a lot on here wanting to be European, so what's the difference

There's a lot on here who are European whether they want it or not. Including you if you were born somewhere in Europe, like in the UK for example.

I don't particularly see an issue with "he comes from Africa", but it's not hard to understand why it might be sensitive. Nobody's made a reference to Ahadme's African heritage*, for example, so such a topic could involve racial stereotyping. Not that I think for a minute that the OP is guilty of that. It's a minor thing, but doesn't hurt to be aware.

(*He qualifies for Morocco, so presumably his gran went on a day trip there once, or some such).
[Post edited 2 Sep 2022 18:03]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

He comes from Africa, he drives a big tractor nt on 23:26 - Sep 2 with 475 viewsbackinbeige

He comes from Africa, he drives a big tractor nt on 16:33 - Sep 1 by Stu_Magoo

But "Hold the Line" doesn't really fit

HOLD THE LINE.
FINIDI ISNT ALWAYS ON TIME-no you’re right it doesn’t quite work, too many syllables

RVRB: https://app.rvrb.one/channels/have-guitar-will-listen - Listen to music when WFH, set your own music to DJ and find new recommendations from others

He comes from Africa, he drives a big tractor nt on 23:35 - Sep 2 with 452 viewsjeera

He comes from Africa, he drives a big tractor nt on 14:12 - Sep 2 by Leaky

Well there's a lot on here wanting to be European, so what's the difference

"a lot on here wanting to be European..."

How, after all this time...

Just how?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

He comes from Africa, he drives a big tractor nt on 11:20 - Sep 3 with 334 viewsnick141

He comes from Africa, he drives a big tractor nt on 10:04 - Sep 2 by jayessess

Don't think it's a huge thing but ... Africa's a big, diverse continent, that's often stereotyped and treated as a monolith. Not uncommon for people to feel a bit uncomfortable about being referred to as "an African" by Europeans who would usually be more precise when thinking about the people's origins.

Exactly this - I should have said it my op
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024