Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Top 2 or nothing this season… 07:10 - Sep 2 with 3675 viewsKieran_Knows

I honestly think 3rd-6th and play offs is a failure.

Walton
Donacien Woolfenden Edmundson
Burns Morsy Evans Davis
Chaplin Harness
TJJ/Ladapo

Hladky
Keogh
KVY
Camara
Ball
Aluko
Ahadme

And that’s before you think we’ve still got the likes of Humphrey’s, Leigh and Edwards.

Ridiculous squad put together for this league.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 07:17 - Sep 2 with 2603 viewschicoazul

Totally agree.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 07:21 - Sep 2 with 2604 viewsVic

It does feel that way doesn’t it.

But I guess fans at Sheff Weds, P’borogh, Portsmouth, etc are saying the same.

But however you look at it, the ITFC rot has stopped, we are on the up and if by some chance we don’t make it this year then I absolutely confident that we’ll not be too much longer in this wretched league.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 07:27 - Sep 2 with 2551 viewstractorboy1978

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 07:21 - Sep 2 by Vic

But however you look at it, the ITFC rot has stopped, we are on the up and if by some chance we don’t make it this year then I absolutely confident that we’ll not be too much longer in this wretched league.

You can probably count the players throughout the rest of the league that would trouble the starting line ups of us or Sheffield Wednesday on one hand to be honest. Comfortably the two best squads and it'll be a huge failure for either club if they don't get promoted.
Top 2 or nothing this season… on 07:37 - Sep 2 with 2513 viewsChurchman

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 07:21 - Sep 2 by Vic

We should be aiming for top one and nothing less. It’s all about the basics and building the club from the ground up. That is what appears to be happening and I believe we will get out of this rubbish division this season.

If not it’ll be the season after and we will probably shoot through the Championship too. The repayment in optimism by the supporters in attendances and interest is not unjustified.

This is quite an optimistic take, but the way the owners have gone about turning the tanker around, to quote I think O’Leary, this is not an Evans quick flip job.

The only bit I’m unclear on is the youth side and set up and what the plans are for it, if any.
Top 2 or nothing this season… on 07:45 - Sep 2 with 2469 viewsGlasgowBlue

If we came 6th and won the play off final then it wouldn’t be a failure.

Of course we want to be top 2 but there are some very good teams in the top six of this division who have also done very good business this summer.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 07:56 - Sep 2 with 2409 viewsKieran_Knows

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 07:45 - Sep 2 by GlasgowBlue

If we came 6th and won the play off final then it wouldn’t be a failure.

Of course we want to be top 2 but there are some very good teams in the top six of this division who have also done very good business this summer.

I’m sorry, I don’t care how good of players Shef Wed and the likes have, they haven’t put together or spent the money we have on the calibre of players we have in the past 12 months/3 transfer windows.

If we finish outside top 2, it really is a failure.

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 08:08 - Sep 2 with 2315 viewsHighgateBlue

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 07:56 - Sep 2 by Kieran_Knows

I’m sorry, I don’t care how good of players Shef Wed and the likes have, they haven’t put together or spent the money we have on the calibre of players we have in the past 12 months/3 transfer windows.

I don't think anyone who went to Wembley on 29 May 2000 can sensibly agree that a Wembley play off final win constitutes a failure of any kind.

I agree that a failure to achieve promotion constitutes a failure to achieve our objective this season, but it really doesn't matter how it's done. Plainly we'd all prefer to be in the top two and not run the risk of the playoffs that has thwarted us so many times. I think we will.
Top 2 or nothing this season… on 08:09 - Sep 2 with 2317 viewsNthQldITFC

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 07:37 - Sep 2 by Churchman

We should be aiming for top one and nothing less. It’s all about the basics and building the club from the ground up. That is what appears to be happening and I believe we will get out of this rubbish division this season.

If not it’ll be the season after and we will probably shoot through the Championship too. The repayment in optimism by the supporters in attendances and interest is not unjustified.

This is quite an optimistic take, but the way the owners have gone about turning the tanker around, to quote I think O’Leary, this is not an Evans quick flip job.

The only bit I’m unclear on is the youth side and set up and what the plans are for it, if any.

Bang on.

Agree with everything you say, and I am particularly delighted that we are acquiring players of relative youth and development potential exactly where we need them, rather than shoehorning in a broken down old name. Everything reeks of a professional, considered, medium to long term approach.

Hopefully the youth setup will be resolved, if that's the right word, when we're a division higher and looking at the next step up.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Login to get fewer ads

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 08:09 - Sep 2 with 2312 viewsGlasgowBlue

So promotion through the play offs would be a failure?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 08:12 - Sep 2 with 2292 viewsBigCommon

Pleased we got Camara done... Morsy and Evans have been solid so far. But with Ball and Camara in the fold aswell. We look very strong in midfield now.. Last season, it was an area that we looked weak if our first choice were missing... Carol, Bakinson and El Miz didn't fill me with confidence, without a Morsy or Evans alongside one of them. Think Wednesday and Bolton away, were both games where we got bossed in midfield, with our first choice missing...
It's been a really good window for me. The last two signings rounded things off nicely. Credit to Ashton and his team for pulling it out the bag on deadline day. Not gonna lie, I thought we'd missed the boat on any real decent incomings yesterday.
I'm quite excited to see what Gas brings to the team. Given his performance against us, he just looks horrible to play against, for any defenders.
Tactics and technical ability aside. We just look so much more physically stronger, bigger and more athletic as a squad. I feel more confident, now. That we can bully and grind out points, in games where teams try to spoil it and stop us from playing football..
We still need to be realistic though. We are well equipped for promotion. But the likes of Wednesday, Peterborough, Portsmouth and a few others, will make it a relentless season. Hopefully we've got the strength in depth to cope with all but the very worse injury and suspension crisis..
Feeling confident..... COYB's
Top 2 or nothing this season… on 08:13 - Sep 2 with 2283 viewsblueasfook

I'd be happy just to go up. I would rather it be in top 2 spots. But I will take a play off final win and a bonus day out at Wembley, thanks!

Failing to get promoted this season will be majorly disappointing though.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 08:13 - Sep 2 with 2273 viewsabracaDOBRA_

But if we win the playoffs no one will care! Anything but promotion this season is a failure for me. of course auto would be better, but if we sneak in the 6th spot on the last day with an OG and win at Wembley, objective achieved in my opinion!
Top 2 or nothing this season… on 08:15 - Sep 2 with 2262 viewsKieran_Knows

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 08:09 - Sep 2 by GlasgowBlue

So promotion through the play offs would be a failure?

There is no guarantee of promotion via play offs, like there is top 2.

This squad isn’t built to finish 6th.

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 08:15 - Sep 2 with 2260 viewsipswichtillidie

“If” everyone is fit there are going to be a couple of disappointed players not even on the bench this season. That will be a challenge in itself for KM now the squad looks so strong. You missed Jackson even on the list above which proves the point.
Edit and Burgess
[Post edited 2 Sep 2022 8:20]

Gav

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 08:16 - Sep 2 with 2255 viewsKieran_Knows

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 08:13 - Sep 2 by abracaDOBRA_

But if we win the playoffs no one will care! Anything but promotion this season is a failure for me. of course auto would be better, but if we sneak in the 6th spot on the last day with an OG and win at Wembley, objective achieved in my opinion!

When you’ve spent the money we’ve spent, on the calibre of players we have in the past 12 months, you’re not looking at winning promotion via a lottery.

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 08:20 - Sep 2 with 2216 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 08:16 - Sep 2 by Kieran_Knows

When you’ve spent the money we’ve spent, on the calibre of players we have in the past 12 months, you’re not looking at winning promotion via a lottery.

I get what your saying, but no one will care at full time at Wembley if weve won.

I get we should be top 2, and that should defo be the goal for the players. But as a fan I just want promotion.
Top 2 or nothing this season… on 08:21 - Sep 2 with 2213 viewsitfcjoe

The problem you've got is that both us and Sheffield Wednesday have used big budgets to build excellent squads - and both are in 'no excuses' territory.

But will us and Sheffield Wednesday just walk the league with this extra benefit? Probably not as someone will massively overperform their budget like a Posh, which leaves one of us in a lottery.

We should finish top 2, Sheff Weds should finish top 2.....but very little margin for error.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 08:23 - Sep 2 with 2188 viewsKieran_Knows

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 08:20 - Sep 2 by abracaDOBRA_

I get what your saying, but no one will care at full time at Wembley if weve won.

I get we should be top 2, and that should defo be the goal for the players. But as a fan I just want promotion.

Of course, I’m sure the club will trot out how happy they are to go up, even if it’s play offs, but I’ll be amazed if behind closed doors, the target from Gamechanger, down to Ashton, down to McKenna, down to the players, is simply top 2.

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 08:25 - Sep 2 with 2159 viewsVic

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 08:16 - Sep 2 by Kieran_Knows

Of course your not - but I think ‘failure’ has to be qualified. I think we have to be careful not to disrespect other teams, who as GB has said have also been building decent squads this season. They will be hoping, expecting promotion.

That is out goal - everyone (inc Gamechanger) hopes/wishes, it to be via a top 2 finish. But with the quality of the other teams it cannot be taken for granted and promo via the POs would not be a disaster.

In my mind it compares to the prem, where 3 or 4 teams realistically hope to win the league. Only 1 will do it; for the rest it will be a bit of a failure, but they will settle for the running up prize of a lucrative Champions league spot. Not to get into the champions league is failure in that context. In ours it’s not to win the P/O’s. It’s all relative.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 08:30 - Sep 2 with 2069 viewsDyland

Owls? Posh? Pompey (with Cowlick)? Plus others who may 'outperform their budgets', we see it every season non? Far too much talk of "ridiculous" squads... we still need to be relentlessly consistent and every player engaged, with smart tactics, and of course a slice of luck over the season. The margins are tiny. Nothing to say we won't be successful and get autos, but this is Town....

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 08:31 - Sep 2 with 2054 viewsdavblue

it would be an improvement on the last 3 years, so an improvement would be good for a start.
Top 2 or nothing this season… on 08:35 - Sep 2 with 1875 viewsMetal_Hacker

Would love it to be top 2 and for me it should be BUT so long as we go up I really don't care.I agree that the internals of the club would expect and want Top 2 but ultimately if we get out off this league as we should I'd expect a "job done thought process either way

Poll: If it were one or the other

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 08:37 - Sep 2 with 1864 viewsdavblue

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 08:30 - Sep 2 by Dyland

Owls? Posh? Pompey (with Cowlick)? Plus others who may 'outperform their budgets', we see it every season non? Far too much talk of "ridiculous" squads... we still need to be relentlessly consistent and every player engaged, with smart tactics, and of course a slice of luck over the season. The margins are tiny. Nothing to say we won't be successful and get autos, but this is Town....

I have a feeling Pompey will be right up there, not because of the quality of their squad as such but they have a manager who knows how to get the best out of his players alongside him knowing how to get results, he's won promotion before.

It will of course depend on injuries if they can handle a few being out but they in and around it if not imo.
Top 2 or nothing this season… on 08:39 - Sep 2 with 1847 viewsDyland

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 08:37 - Sep 2 by davblue

I have a feeling Pompey will be right up there, not because of the quality of their squad as such but they have a manager who knows how to get the best out of his players alongside him knowing how to get results, he's won promotion before.

It will of course depend on injuries if they can handle a few being out but they in and around it if not imo.

Aye, love him or hate him Cowley knows his onions.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Top 2 or nothing this season… on 08:50 - Sep 2 with 1751 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

It will be progress, but ultimately anything other than promotion this season is failure.

I don't care whether we go up through the play offs or top 2.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024