Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the 09:31 - Oct 6 with 1446 viewsericclacton

Norwich Road, i think he sold rabbit food and bird seed.

Up The Town.........Holland today.

Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 09:39 - Oct 6 with 1414 viewsericclacton

[Post edited 6 Oct 2022 9:41]
Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 09:58 - Oct 6 with 1373 viewsblueislander

Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 09:39 - Oct 6 by ericclacton

[Post edited 6 Oct 2022 9:41]

Yep. I saw him play, and visited his shop. John Elsworthy’s shop was quite close to Basil’s.
Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 10:20 - Oct 6 with 1342 viewslongtimefan

My Dad went to Cattawade School with him.
Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 10:46 - Oct 6 with 1323 viewsle2blue

Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 09:58 - Oct 6 by blueislander

Yep. I saw him play, and visited his shop. John Elsworthy’s shop was quite close to Basil’s.

Which one was John Elsworthy's shop? They'd be a little disappointed if they saw the state of Norwich Road now!
Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 11:00 - Oct 6 with 1297 viewsblueislander

Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 10:46 - Oct 6 by le2blue

Which one was John Elsworthy's shop? They'd be a little disappointed if they saw the state of Norwich Road now!

The shops were on Foxhall Road if my memory serves me right.
Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 11:29 - Oct 6 with 1274 viewsPhilTWTD

Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 11:00 - Oct 6 by blueislander

Think John had two shops at different times, wasn't one on Felixstowe Road?
Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 11:35 - Oct 6 with 1262 viewsblueislander

Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 11:29 - Oct 6 by PhilTWTD

Think John had two shops at different times, wasn't one on Felixstowe Road?

It might have been right at the beginning of Felixstowe Road in a parade of shops just before Derby Road. Basil’s was on Foxhall Road I am pretty sure.
Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 11:44 - Oct 6 with 1243 viewswoodbridge_blue

He used to work in the development office in Portman Road, near the Churchmans turnstiles, along with Tommy Parker. Really nice chap.
Login to get fewer ads

Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 11:44 - Oct 6 with 1243 viewslongtimefan

Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 11:35 - Oct 6 by blueislander

It might have been right at the beginning of Felixstowe Road in a parade of shops just before Derby Road. Basil’s was on Foxhall Road I am pretty sure.

Didn't John Elsworthy run a Post Office or am I confusing him with someone else?
Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 11:46 - Oct 6 with 1239 viewsblueislander

Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 11:44 - Oct 6 by longtimefan

Didn't John Elsworthy run a Post Office or am I confusing him with someone else?

You may be right.
Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 11:48 - Oct 6 with 1232 viewsPhilTWTD

Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 11:44 - Oct 6 by longtimefan

Yes, was a post office in Felixstowe Road, I think, but seem to recall he had another shop and Foxhall Road does sound familiar.
Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 12:07 - Oct 6 with 1207 viewsPJH

The first player listed alphabetically in 'The Men Who Made The Town.'

I would have seen him play although most of his 232 first team games were before I went to PR regularly with 1955/56 being the last season he was the first choice at RB before Larry Carberry got that place.

As has been said, he worked with Tommy Parker in the development office which was where train tickets for Blue Arrow were purchased before there was a club shop.
Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 13:35 - Oct 6 with 1117 viewsle2blue

Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 11:35 - Oct 6 by blueislander

Ah, Basil definitely had a pet shop on Norwich road, got my first rabbit from him and used to pop in on Saturdays in the 80's and talk about the town when I discovered his past.
Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 17:05 - Oct 6 with 1017 viewsjontysnut

Talking of old shops, Easton's junk shop on Woodbridge Road. Front window looked like someone had emptied a skip.
Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 17:15 - Oct 6 with 988 viewsblueislander

Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 17:05 - Oct 6 by jontysnut

Talking of old shops, Easton's junk shop on Woodbridge Road. Front window looked like someone had emptied a skip.

One of Town’s renouned shopkeepers was Mick McNeil nicknamed Mick Mcterial
Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 17:20 - Oct 6 with 985 viewsPhilTWTD

Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 17:15 - Oct 6 by blueislander

One of Town’s renouned shopkeepers was Mick McNeil nicknamed Mick Mcterial

How many of us on here bought our first football boots at his shops?
Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 17:43 - Oct 6 with 963 viewsgainsboroughblue

Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 17:20 - Oct 6 by PhilTWTD

Not me. I got mine from Clayton's up near the library.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 17:47 - Oct 6 with 960 viewsDJR

Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 17:20 - Oct 6 by PhilTWTD

Talk of Mick McNeil reminds me of the time he helped out with training at Ipswich rugby club in the late 70s, after he had retired from the game. At one session he had a football and challenged people to get the ball off him. No one could get anywhere near him, and it demonstrated to me just how skillfull professional footballers are, even someone like him who was a defender.
Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 18:28 - Oct 6 with 919 viewsWeWereZombies

Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 11:48 - Oct 6 by PhilTWTD

Yes, was a post office in Felixstowe Road, I think, but seem to recall he had another shop and Foxhall Road does sound familiar.

John Elsworthy ran the Post Office on Felixstowe Road up until the early 1980s at least - was patient and helpful even when I turned up at ten past five yet again with another parcel that my boss said had to go tonight.

[Post edited 6 Oct 2022 18:48]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 20:53 - Oct 6 with 859 viewseastwell_blue

Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 11:00 - Oct 6 by blueislander

He ran a grocery shop by the Bixley Rd/Foxhall Rd roundabout.
Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 08:28 - Oct 7 with 754 viewsBeattie78

Did anyone on TWTD watch Basil Acres play, I can remember his shop on the on 20:53 - Oct 6 by eastwell_blue

He ran a grocery shop by the Bixley Rd/Foxhall Rd roundabout.

You're right. John Elsworthy's shop was on the Foxhall Road roundabout before he moved to Felixstowe Road. Our family lived very nearby. My dad got to know him very well when they both played bowls at the Marlborough club.

LexdenBlue62

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024