Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football violence 10:23 - Oct 18 with 12017 viewsnoggin

I follow a terrace culture group on Fb, not because I ever got involved but because it has always fascinated me. Anyway, a recent thread was discussing Swansea going in the home end at Millwall. A Millwall supporter was saying he remembered it and that the only other group to do it was Ipswich. I presume that was the 78 game but does anyone know if that was intentional or a terrible mistake? Did Ipswich really take it to Millwall at the Old Den?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Football violence on 12:30 - Oct 19 with 1656 viewsjontysnut

Football violence on 10:20 - Oct 19 by GeoffSentence

It does, but despite that there were also chants of "Trigger,trigger, trigger", monkey noises and all the rest of it from Town fans as well.

I can remember a punch up in the North late 70s with a black lad objecting to something said by someone.
Football violence on 13:57 - Oct 19 with 1542 viewsbluebudgie

Football violence on 10:07 - Oct 19 by Lord_Lucan

^^^^^^^^^Last two posts^^^^^^^^^^^^

Didn't happen, no way, bullsh1t

This
Football violence on 14:06 - Oct 19 with 1528 viewsnoggin

Football violence on 13:57 - Oct 19 by bluebudgie

This

So I was imagining hearing "Fashanu Fashanu, just escaped from London Zoo" in the North Stand?

It happened, I can promise you.

Football violence on 14:57 - Oct 19 with 1465 viewsbluebudgie

Football violence on 14:06 - Oct 19 by noggin

So I was imagining hearing "Fashanu Fashanu, just escaped from London Zoo" in the North Stand?

It happened, I can promise you.

I say it never happened in the 70s for the reasons I outlined ,next to Birmingham City, Ipswich Town had in my opinion the highest percentage of black fans in the country and any chants like that and the perpetrators would have been dealt with very swiftly by the likes of Goosey, Swallow Simmy, Canute, Jerry Thorpe, Ian Wright Kyrokadies etc Anybody from Jeff Cranes crew and most of the of the North stand at the time.
as I said we stood shoulder to shoulder. Quite why you want to paint 70s Town fans out to be racist is mystifying as they were anything but racist and I was there!
[Post edited 19 Oct 2022 15:02]
Football violence on 15:01 - Oct 19 with 1461 viewsnoggin

Football violence on 14:57 - Oct 19 by bluebudgie

I say it never happened in the 70s for the reasons I outlined ,next to Birmingham City, Ipswich Town had in my opinion the highest percentage of black fans in the country and any chants like that and the perpetrators would have been dealt with very swiftly by the likes of Goosey, Swallow Simmy, Canute, Jerry Thorpe, Ian Wright Kyrokadies etc Anybody from Jeff Cranes crew and most of the of the North stand at the time.
as I said we stood shoulder to shoulder. Quite why you want to paint 70s Town fans out to be racist is mystifying as they were anything but racist and I was there!

I was there too. I'm not painting Town fans, or any other fans, as racist but to pretend there were never racist chants from Ipswich fans is naive.

Football violence on 15:05 - Oct 19 with 1451 viewsbluebudgie

Football violence on 15:01 - Oct 19 by noggin

I was there too. I'm not painting Town fans, or any other fans, as racist but to pretend there were never racist chants from Ipswich fans is naive.

I'm not pretending that there were no racist chants from Town fans, I'm stating the FACT THERE WERE NO RACISTS CHANTS from Town fans from the North Stand See the link and get to 6.05 to see how big our Black following was in 1978
[Post edited 19 Oct 2022 15:13]
Football violence on 15:16 - Oct 19 with 1413 viewsnoggin

Football violence on 15:05 - Oct 19 by bluebudgie

I'm not pretending that there were no racist chants from Town fans, I'm stating the FACT THERE WERE NO RACISTS CHANTS from Town fans from the North Stand See the link and get to 6.05 to see how big our Black following was in 1978
[Post edited 19 Oct 2022 15:13]

With respect, that proves nothing.

Football violence on 15:18 - Oct 19 with 1408 viewsnoggin

Football violence on 15:16 - Oct 19 by noggin

With respect, that proves nothing.

We can only agree to disagree.

Edit: It might be early 80s I'm thinking of and so I apologise if so.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2022 16:02]

Login to get fewer ads

Football violence on 15:47 - Oct 19 with 1376 viewsunbelievablue

My old man reckons Newcastle once sang 'Bobby Robson's Black and White Minstrels' at PR because of how diverse our end was.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Football violence on 17:10 - Oct 19 with 1296 viewsBluespeed225

Football violence on 11:22 - Oct 19 by witchdoctor

nope..the line of police came later…before that it was everyone for themselves..after the line of plod and before the erection of fences the was a kind of temporary waist high no man’s land structure

That waist high fence. I was a 12 year kid in the West stand, V Norwich, Easter 78’. My first sighting of a young TS, climbing on it, twirling a Norwich scarf around his head, which he then set alight and flung across the divide and thin blue line into the Norwich fans! I can see that as if it was yesterday!
Football violence on 17:31 - Oct 19 with 1282 viewsDJR

I second that.
Football violence on 01:21 - Oct 22 with 1022 viewsWeWereZombies

Football violence on 11:22 - Oct 19 by witchdoctor

nope..the line of police came later…before that it was everyone for themselves..after the line of plod and before the erection of fences the was a kind of temporary waist high no man’s land structure

Well think about that Harry Roberts song, it must have faded away by 1970, he was old news by then (the murder of three policemen took place in 1966.) But I cannot think of that chant without seeing it directed at the thick blue line of police from the back of the stand all the way down.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024