Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boxing Day Arsenal 07:10 - Dec 7 with 3382 viewsolddog

Hi everyone- am over from Australia with my son and hoping to watch the match on Boxing Day. However also have been given tickets to see Arsenal vs West ham at the Emirates at 8pm that evening. Have exhausted all options of staying with friends in London. Anybody going to the same two matches we could get a lift with or any suggestions on how we could do it easiest with a car / tube / anything?
[Post edited 10 Dec 2022 1:46]
Boxing Day Arsenal on 07:37 - Dec 7 with 3304 viewsITFC_Forever

Drive to Cockfosters, then tube.

If Cockfosters car park is full, try the next station or two down the line.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Boxing Day Arsenal on 12:33 - Dec 7 with 3075 viewsfloridablue

What about the train service to London then tube to the Emirates? Remember that a lot of Arsenal and West Ham fans will be travelling from Essex/Suffolk, and I can imagine roads and parking at tube stations will be a nightmare!
Good luck.
Boxing Day Arsenal on 12:46 - Dec 7 with 3046 viewsMookamoo

Boxing Day Arsenal on 12:33 - Dec 7 by floridablue

What about the train service to London then tube to the Emirates? Remember that a lot of Arsenal and West Ham fans will be travelling from Essex/Suffolk, and I can imagine roads and parking at tube stations will be a nightmare!
Good luck.

Winter of Discontent MkII - No trains
Boxing Day Arsenal on 12:52 - Dec 7 with 3017 viewsitfcjoe

Boxing Day Arsenal on 12:46 - Dec 7 by Mookamoo

Winter of Discontent MkII - No trains

Never any trains on Boxing Day in fairness

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Boxing Day Arsenal on 15:05 - Dec 7 with 2877 viewsHARRY10

If you could hire a car you would still be cutting it fine

2 hour journey between the two grounds

I am not sure you can park anyway near PR that would not mean a 15 min walk (min) then dealing with the traffic - assume no hold ups on the way you will have to find somewhere to park near Arsenal - no close street parking

My advice would be it can't be done. It might look close from Oz, but it is not

Best to chose one game (us )
Boxing Day Arsenal on 15:48 - Dec 7 with 2831 viewsgiant_stow

As Harry says, resident's parking around Emirates stadium has special match-day zones which stop football goers parking whenever a game is on..

Personally, I would drive to Walthamstow Central, which is very close to the motorway, park there and get the Victoria line to Finsbury park / change on the Piccadilly line to Arsenal.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2022 15:49]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Boxing Day Arsenal on 17:04 - Dec 7 with 2718 viewsHARRY10

Boxing Day Arsenal on 15:48 - Dec 7 by giant_stow

As Harry says, resident's parking around Emirates stadium has special match-day zones which stop football goers parking whenever a game is on..

Personally, I would drive to Walthamstow Central, which is very close to the motorway, park there and get the Victoria line to Finsbury park / change on the Piccadilly line to Arsenal.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2022 15:49]

That would be the better solution, though

You would need to check parking at Walthamstow, not sure there is street parking available

Tubes - running a reduced service on Boxing Day

Assume you can get straight out of the ground, out of the town there is then the problem of car hire on Boxing Day - around £280 it would seem.

Not looking good, I'm afraid
Boxing Day Arsenal on 17:26 - Dec 7 with 2682 viewsCobboldCrusty

I think it can be done. I live in North London and avoid driving from here to Ipswich because it is a slog but I think you're looking at 2 hours. Driving to Walthamstow or Blackhorse Lane and getting the tube is a good option. I'd probably do that over Cockfosters but that may be a good option too. There will be parking on the streets near those tube stations because there won't be traffic wardens on Boxing Day or day after. Either way, get off at Finsbury Park and walk to Emirates. If you've got time for a pint, The Plimsoll is on the way and a very good pub.
Login to get fewer ads

Boxing Day Arsenal on 17:36 - Dec 7 with 2646 viewsHARRY10

Boxing Day Arsenal on 17:26 - Dec 7 by CobboldCrusty

I think it can be done. I live in North London and avoid driving from here to Ipswich because it is a slog but I think you're looking at 2 hours. Driving to Walthamstow or Blackhorse Lane and getting the tube is a good option. I'd probably do that over Cockfosters but that may be a good option too. There will be parking on the streets near those tube stations because there won't be traffic wardens on Boxing Day or day after. Either way, get off at Finsbury Park and walk to Emirates. If you've got time for a pint, The Plimsoll is on the way and a very good pub.

2 hours out of the three, then

how long to exit PR, and get the car out of town - 20 mins ?

park up London , walk to tube, journey to Arsenal, walk to ground - 20/30 mins

leaves 10 mins to cover any extra time taken above

the killer is the car hire, £280 is the cheapest on Boxing Day, and I doubt there will be many available given the train strike
Boxing Day Arsenal on 19:15 - Dec 7 with 2555 viewsITFC_Forever

Boxing Day Arsenal on 17:36 - Dec 7 by HARRY10

the killer is the car hire, £280 is the cheapest on Boxing Day, and I doubt there will be many available given the train strike

There’s never trains on Christmas Day or Boxing Day.

The strike that starts late on Christmas Eve is more relevant for track maintenance staff, as the annual 48 hour shutdown on Christmas & Boxing Day is the only window they get to do the big jobs and the workers get very good overtime rates given the days in question.

So going on strike for those two days is a big F U to the network management.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Boxing Day Arsenal on 09:21 - Dec 8 with 2356 viewsCobboldCrusty

Yeah fair point - drive to Walthamstow shouldn't take much more than 90 mins though
Boxing Day Arsenal on 10:43 - Dec 8 with 2301 viewsJWN

Boxing Day Arsenal on 09:21 - Dec 8 by CobboldCrusty

Yeah fair point - drive to Walthamstow shouldn't take much more than 90 mins though

Ipswich to Walthamstow is 1 hour 20 with a clear road, which should be as soon as you're clear of football traffic. You can park in residents' bays on a bank holiday in Walthamstow - the roads just south of the station are probably your best bet.
Boxing Day Arsenal on 11:07 - Dec 8 with 2267 viewsgiant_stow

OP needs to find someone to borrow a car off - you can get yourself one/two insurance for under a 100.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Boxing Day Arsenal on 11:31 - Dec 8 with 2236 viewsEly_Blue

20 mins to exit PR & get out of town? Good luck with that, it’s gonna take you 20 minutes at the Tesco roundabout alone

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Boxing Day Arsenal on 14:01 - Dec 8 with 2146 viewsHARRY10

Boxing Day Arsenal on 11:31 - Dec 8 by Ely_Blue

20 mins to exit PR & get out of town? Good luck with that, it’s gonna take you 20 minutes at the Tesco roundabout alone

That is my thought. It will be a full house Boxing Day. So parking near the ground will be harder, extra walk, then getting out.

My suggestion of 20 mins for that was not an estimation of the time it will take, but the amount of time that can be allocated to keep to the schedule.

At Walthamstow the assumption is that there is car parking - and that Essex based Hammers have not thought about that, given the lack of trains. How frequent are the tube trains on a reduced Boxing Day service ?

But the killer really is the car hire cost (look it up).

A town fan with a car heading back into London would be the best bet
Boxing Day Arsenal on 01:50 - Dec 10 with 1975 viewsolddog

Thank you all for the advice. Have use of a car so looking at Walthamstow for parking then tube. As we are attending match today that will have to be enough and we will just do the Arsenal game o boxing day. Too many variables and stress to do both. Up the Towen!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024