Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
As it's NYE- the TWTD albums of the year thread. 15:05 - Dec 31 with 1467 viewsBlueBadger

What's your top five then?

In no particular order:

Zeal & Ardor - Zeal & Ardor

Amazing mash-up of industrial, gospel vocals and black metal riffing and screaming. Surprisingly singalongable.

Robert: Orange Is The New Black

Jazzy, stoney Brit hip hop. And, if you buy it from Bandcamp it's a pay what you want

The Otolith: Folium Limina

Turns out, the sound I was REALLY looking for this year was doom metal filtered through the sounds of 70's folk-rock

Ithaca - They Fear Us

Normally this kind of shouty-screamy emo-metal posse she by. But the clean sung chorusus and solid riffs grabbed me on this one.

Ginger Wildheart and The Sinners - Ginger Wildheart and the Sinners.

It's not a BB list without a GW offering. This years one is a rather lovely piece of country-rock. Great cover of Quo's 'Dirty Water', too.

Honourable mentions - The Long Road North - Cult of Luna, Final Light - Final Light, FTHC - Frank Turner, Dark Enough To See The Stars - Mary Gauthier.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2022 15:29]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

As it's NYE- the TWTD albums of the year thread. on 15:31 - Dec 31 with 1399 viewsWeirdFishes

Skinty Fia - Fontaines DC
A Light for Attracting Attention- The Smile

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

As it's NYE- the TWTD albums of the year thread. on 16:21 - Dec 31 with 1364 viewsOldsmoker

I'm totally out of my depth. God I'm old.
All the 'new' music I have been introduced to has been via TWTD mainly EricClacton.
Big shout out for Eric.
I need to get out more, but there's hardly any pubs doing gigs anymore.
Live music is most likely to be a busker in the street nowadays.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

As it's NYE- the TWTD albums of the year thread. on 17:25 - Dec 31 with 1318 viewsHealysBackPocket

In no particular order my top 5 of the year are probably:

Black Country, New Road - Ants From Up There
Kingfisher - Grip Your Fist, I’m Heaven Bound
Beach House - Once, Twice Melody
Fred again. - Actual Life 3
Noah Kahan - Stick Season

Honourable mentions to the albums released by The Wonder Years, Arms Length, Mat Kerekes, The Weeknd and Ben Quad
As it's NYE- the TWTD albums of the year thread. on 17:38 - Dec 31 with 1290 viewsDubtractor

I did a radio show, which narrowed it down to 29 albums, a week or so back. Link here if you're interested!

https://www.mixcloud.com/paul-wright7/all-shook-up-with-paul-wright-best-of-2022

If forced to pick 5 I'd say the following:

Cave In - Heavy Pendulum (superior quality modern metal)
Dope Lemon - Rose Pink Cadillac (Super hazy/stoned lo fi indie)
Holodrum - Holodrum (think a UK take on LCD Soundsystem, with female vocals)
Katie J Pearson - Sound Of The Morning (Super polished indie/rock/folk/pop with a stunning vocal)
Jake Xerxes Fussel - Good and Green Again (stripped back folk/americana - truly wonderful)

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

As it's NYE- the TWTD albums of the year thread. on 17:49 - Dec 31 with 1264 viewsDJR

As a punk at heart, I've largely given up on music these last thirty years. But in the last month I've been listening to 6 Music, because I am sick of the music played on other radio stations, and I've come across, amongst others, Wet Leg, who are quirky. Apparently their album reached number 1 earlier this year, but that passed me by.

Having said that, much of the indie music now doesn't seem to have moved on much from the stuff John Peel played in the 80s, but it is far better than what is elsewhere.
As it's NYE- the TWTD albums of the year thread. on 17:52 - Dec 31 with 1253 viewsBlueBadger

As it's NYE- the TWTD albums of the year thread. on 17:49 - Dec 31 by DJR

As a punk at heart, I've largely given up on music these last thirty years. But in the last month I've been listening to 6 Music, because I am sick of the music played on other radio stations, and I've come across, amongst others, Wet Leg, who are quirky. Apparently their album reached number 1 earlier this year, but that passed me by.

Having said that, much of the indie music now doesn't seem to have moved on much from the stuff John Peel played in the 80s, but it is far better than what is elsewhere.

If you want something dripping with punk attitude, get yourself on the Outside of some Bob Vylan.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

As it's NYE- the TWTD albums of the year thread. on 17:55 - Dec 31 with 1250 viewsOldsmoker

Slow down peeps.
It's going to take me ages to listen to all this stuff.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

As it's NYE- the TWTD albums of the year thread. on 17:59 - Dec 31 with 1239 viewsDJR

As it's NYE- the TWTD albums of the year thread. on 17:52 - Dec 31 by BlueBadger

If you want something dripping with punk attitude, get yourself on the Outside of some Bob Vylan.

Thanks for the link.
Login to get fewer ads

As it's NYE- the TWTD albums of the year thread. on 18:01 - Dec 31 with 1237 viewsCrayonKing

Drive By Truckers - Welcome to Club XIII

Clutch - Sunrise on Slaughter Beach

Ghost - Impera

Devin Townsend - Lightwork

Hellacopters - Eyes of Oblivion

Usually love everything Ginger Wildheart does but the Sinners stuff just didn't grab me. Must give it another listen.
As it's NYE- the TWTD albums of the year thread. on 18:03 - Dec 31 with 1223 viewsghostofescobar

As it's NYE- the TWTD albums of the year thread. on 17:49 - Dec 31 by DJR

As you like a bit of punk, have you listened to Amyl and the Sniffers? Excellent latest album. Australian band. Give them a listen.

GhostOfEscobar

As it's NYE- the TWTD albums of the year thread. on 18:13 - Dec 31 with 1208 viewsDJR

As it's NYE- the TWTD albums of the year thread. on 18:03 - Dec 31 by ghostofescobar

As you like a bit of punk, have you listened to Amyl and the Sniffers? Excellent latest album. Australian band. Give them a listen.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a go.
As it's NYE- the TWTD albums of the year thread. on 18:13 - Dec 31 with 1209 viewsBlueBadger

As it's NYE- the TWTD albums of the year thread. on 18:01 - Dec 31 by CrayonKing

Drive By Truckers - Welcome to Club XIII

Clutch - Sunrise on Slaughter Beach

Ghost - Impera

Devin Townsend - Lightwork

Hellacopters - Eyes of Oblivion

Usually love everything Ginger Wildheart does but the Sinners stuff just didn't grab me. Must give it another listen.

Love Ghost. They'd be a honourable mention, for sure.

As it's NYE- the TWTD albums of the year thread. on 18:53 - Dec 31 with 1167 viewsthecheek

(British) Sea Power - Everything Was Forever
Yard Act - The Overload
Hot Chip - Freakout/Release
[Post edited 31 Dec 2022 18:53]
As it's NYE- the TWTD albums of the year thread. on 18:58 - Dec 31 with 1159 viewsBlueBadger

As it's NYE- the TWTD albums of the year thread. on 17:38 - Dec 31 by Dubtractor

I did a radio show, which narrowed it down to 29 albums, a week or so back. Link here if you're interested!

https://www.mixcloud.com/paul-wright7/all-shook-up-with-paul-wright-best-of-2022

If forced to pick 5 I'd say the following:

Cave In - Heavy Pendulum (superior quality modern metal)
Dope Lemon - Rose Pink Cadillac (Super hazy/stoned lo fi indie)
Holodrum - Holodrum (think a UK take on LCD Soundsystem, with female vocals)
Katie J Pearson - Sound Of The Morning (Super polished indie/rock/folk/pop with a stunning vocal)
Jake Xerxes Fussel - Good and Green Again (stripped back folk/americana - truly wonderful)

I've got the house to myself for an hour. Tuned in.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2022 19:23]

As it's NYE- the TWTD albums of the year thread. on 19:02 - Dec 31 with 1150 viewsCaptainAhab

Some good shouts in the OP!

For me:
Birds in Row - Gris Klein
Brutus - Unison Life
Gaerea - Mirage
Cave In - Heavy Pendulum
Cult of Luna - The Long Road North
As it's NYE- the TWTD albums of the year thread. on 19:42 - Dec 31 with 1122 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

I may get to five but MLDE for starters

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

As it's NYE- the TWTD albums of the year thread. on 21:06 - Dec 31 with 1078 viewsSwansea_Blue

As it's NYE- the TWTD albums of the year thread. on 16:21 - Dec 31 by Oldsmoker

I'm totally out of my depth. God I'm old.
All the 'new' music I have been introduced to has been via TWTD mainly EricClacton.
Big shout out for Eric.
I need to get out more, but there's hardly any pubs doing gigs anymore.
Live music is most likely to be a busker in the street nowadays.

You’re not alone. We’ve got a playlist running this evening and the latest thing on it so far is AC/DC Thunderstruck 🤣

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024