Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 09:11 - Feb 5 with 2463 viewstrulyblue

Me and a mate managed to get two tickets in the home end, in what they call their main stand, which was the terracing behind the opposite goal to the Town supporters. The tickets were provided by a friend of a friend who is a regular at their games, however he could only get us one adult and one U18... I'm 47 and my mate is 59! We thought it was worth a try and breezed through the turnstiles without any issues at approximately 2.20pm.
After entering the terrace we noticed that there was a metal staircase which led to the seated side stand, and because we wanted to be positioned as close to the away end as possible and despite there being a steward at the top of the steps we waited until he was chatting to someone in a gold and black scarf before creeping up the steps and slid past him unnoticed.
Walking through the stand wasn't an issue until we reached a point just past the half way line and dugouts where it wasn't possible to go any further as there was a barrier from the top of the stand to the bottom.
Despite being approximately 30-40 yards away and there being a couple of stewards further up the stand behind us, my mate was convinced we had a chance of getting in the away end and before I had a chance to voice my concerns to his elaborate plan he'd straddled over the advertising board at the front of the stand, waltzed past a couple of photographers, bold as brass walked down the side of the pitch, past some kids being paraded round the the ground and hopped over the boards at the front of the away end, between two stewards.
That left me in the position of either following my instinct, find an empty seat and sit on my hands for 90 minutes or see whether his brazen act could be repeated... I decided on the latter and thankfully went totally unchallenged on my journey.

Ok the game wasn't the most memorable and we went home slightly deflated at the 2 points dropped but at least we'll remember how we managed to evade security at The Abbey in 22/23 to celebrate our goal with the Town supporters.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2023 9:19]

Poll: Player of the season so far?

Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 09:45 - Feb 5 with 2247 viewsWickets

I'd give you an uppie but know i would get a right rollicking from the saints on here !
Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 09:59 - Feb 5 with 2188 viewstrulyblue

Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 09:45 - Feb 5 by Wickets

I'd give you an uppie but know i would get a right rollicking from the saints on here !

The fact that my post has received a down thumb certainly demonstrates how following your team at away games has changed over the years 😂
[Post edited 5 Feb 2023 10:22]

Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 10:12 - Feb 5 with 2129 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 09:59 - Feb 5 by trulyblue

The fact that my post has received a down thumb certainly demonstrates how following your team at away games has changed over the years 😂

I think its more to do with the fact you are aged 47 and 59 and you've popped up crowing about it like you were a couple of 21 year olds.

You breached security. What did you want? A clap?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 10:14 - Feb 5 with 2110 viewsLeistonBlue

Interesting - I had an U22 ticket and for the first time in my life was challenged. Normally you are straight through. They even tried to hand me over to the police as I had no proof of age! The police very quickly told them in no uncertain terms that it was nothing to do with them and to let me through. Never experienced anything like that! Police were lovely - extremely polite, but the stewards were the rudest I’ve ever come across
Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 10:16 - Feb 5 with 2093 viewsMullet

Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 10:14 - Feb 5 by LeistonBlue

Interesting - I had an U22 ticket and for the first time in my life was challenged. Normally you are straight through. They even tried to hand me over to the police as I had no proof of age! The police very quickly told them in no uncertain terms that it was nothing to do with them and to let me through. Never experienced anything like that! Police were lovely - extremely polite, but the stewards were the rudest I’ve ever come across

That's cos the stewards had all had a dressing down for letting two old boys waltz about the ground and not being able to find them now.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 10:16 - Feb 5 with 2092 viewsnoggin

Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 09:59 - Feb 5 by trulyblue

You're 47 years old man. Had others done the same, the club may well have been in trouble. Not to mention risking the safety of other fans with your selfish behaviour.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 10:17 - Feb 5 with 2088 viewstrulyblue

Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 10:12 - Feb 5 by Cheltenham_Blue

I think its more to do with the fact you are aged 47 and 59 and you've popped up crowing about it like you were a couple of 21 year olds.

You breached security. What did you want? A clap?

I'm struggling to work out if your post is ageist of just plain boring.... You must be a right laugh at parties.

Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 10:19 - Feb 5 with 2064 viewstrulyblue

Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 10:16 - Feb 5 by noggin

You're 47 years old man. Had others done the same, the club may well have been in trouble. Not to mention risking the safety of other fans with your selfish behaviour.

I rest my case I regards to how football fans have changed.
How did my selfish behaviour endanger others? 😂

Login to get fewer ads

Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 10:20 - Feb 5 with 2045 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 10:17 - Feb 5 by trulyblue

I'm struggling to work out if your post is ageist of just plain boring.... You must be a right laugh at parties.

I'm a riot at parties.
But you probably still think it's 'cool' to crash ones you weren't invited to.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 10:21 - Feb 5 with 2042 viewsnoggin

Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 10:19 - Feb 5 by trulyblue

47, going on 17.

Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 10:28 - Feb 5 with 1978 viewsnoggin

Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 10:19 - Feb 5 by trulyblue

It probably didn't but history has shown us the dangers of security issues at football matches. You apparently believed that the rules didn't apply to you, even at your age.

Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 10:34 - Feb 5 with 1940 viewsSwansea_Blue

All sounds pretty lightweight to me. Proper old school fans would have found a way onto the roof or shinnied up the floodlights. How times have changed indeed.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 10:48 - Feb 5 with 1867 viewschicoazul

This thread is absolutely perfect, thank you very much to all involved. TWTD in its final form.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 10:50 - Feb 5 with 1860 viewstrulyblue

Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 10:28 - Feb 5 by noggin

It probably didn't but history has shown us the dangers of security issues at football matches. You apparently believed that the rules didn't apply to you, even at your age.

Let's face it, the club messed up in not providing an adequate priority scheme to cater for those who deserved the tickets most as they did for Bracknell and therefore both clubs knew full well that away supporters would be gaining access to the home end by whatever means they could, it happens at every away game that we sell out. The fact that me and my mate found an opportunity to join our own supporters offered less of a potential security issue than if we'd have celebrated a 96th minute winner amongst the home crowd.
No Hillsborough was going to occur as a result of our actions.... Good grief, heaven forbid if someone had've been smoking in an undesignated smoking area!
[Post edited 5 Feb 2023 10:53]

Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 10:52 - Feb 5 with 1837 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sounds like an opportunity missed to do what this guy did! https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/other-sports/fan-climbs-scoreboard-urinates-st

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 10:55 - Feb 5 with 1816 viewstrulyblue

Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 10:52 - Feb 5 by Swansea_Blue

Sounds like an opportunity missed to do what this guy did! https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/other-sports/fan-climbs-scoreboard-urinates-st

The scoreboard was at the opposite corner of the ground 😔😂
[Post edited 5 Feb 2023 10:55]

Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 11:54 - Feb 5 with 1630 viewsernie

Shocking security at the Abbey.... To our advantage 🙂 on 10:17 - Feb 5 by trulyblue

Forget those saps; it was was a great story.
PS- love the photo of Claus in that shirt.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024