Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere 01:48 - Apr 26 with 7056 viewsSteve_M

I thought Wembley in 2000 was a one off but been out and chatting to them tonight, very gracious and not too upset by tonight.

Good luck to them in the playoffs.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 22:02 - Apr 26 with 901 viewsMelford

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 20:50 - Apr 26 by DJR

The only disappointment of my trip to Barnsley was that there is no statue of the greatest living Yorkshireman, our very own Mick McCarthy.

There is one for the greatest living Yorkshireman, our Dickie.
They had to put it on a plinth raised up in the air because people kept leaving rude stuff on Dickie's finger. My grandad used to play down Shaw Lane in the early 60s with Dickie, Michael Parkinson and Geoffrey Boycott for Barnsley CC

"In 2009, this life-size bronze statue of Bird was erected in his hometown of Barnsley. The statue, which was built by Graham Ibbotson, shows him standing in a familiar pose: one arm outstretched and pointing his index finger, indicating that a batsman is out.

"It’s perhaps inevitable that this pose has regularly attracted the attention of rowdy late night revelers, particularly on Friday and Saturday nights. Bras, panties, and condoms were frequently left dangling from the outstretched finger on Dickie’s right hand. In 2013, the authorities in Barnsley raised the statue from its ground-level position onto a five-foot high plinth to discourage the pranksters. But this has not proved completely successful, as the odd, inappropriate item does still make its way onto the outstretched digit."

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 23:08 - Apr 26 with 800 viewsTobytyke

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 21:47 - Apr 26 by J2BLUE

Fair, although if we're talking about rub the green, Norwood staying on the pitch after that elbow was very lucky for you.

Good luck in the play offs

I've not seen any of the game back, but at the time, when the foul was awarded against Norwood, I said the ref must have seen an elbow. So I was surprised he got away without caution. It was no different (from first and only viewing at least) to the one Hirst got away with in the second half, so swings and roundabouts I guess.

We all see the game in our teams favour. In this thread I've read we should have gone down to 9 men, I could easily make the same argument. I've read about the goal you had disallowed when we played you at your place; for me it was a clear foul.

It's a funny game football. Anyway, as I say, no hard feelings and all the best for next season.
Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 23:15 - Apr 26 with 777 viewsDubtractor

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 23:08 - Apr 26 by Tobytyke

I've not seen any of the game back, but at the time, when the foul was awarded against Norwood, I said the ref must have seen an elbow. So I was surprised he got away without caution. It was no different (from first and only viewing at least) to the one Hirst got away with in the second half, so swings and roundabouts I guess.

We all see the game in our teams favour. In this thread I've read we should have gone down to 9 men, I could easily make the same argument. I've read about the goal you had disallowed when we played you at your place; for me it was a clear foul.

It's a funny game football. Anyway, as I say, no hard feelings and all the best for next season.

I'll be honest, neither player should have been sent off, not nearly enough in either incident for me.

I'd agree with your other post about us getting the rub of the green, and to be honest that does tend to happen when you're in form, nothing really fell for you in the way that our third did for us for example. It wasn't really a 3-0 game, based on the overall play, but we did undoubtedly create the best chances.

You've the best team we've played since Plymouth though, and would fancy you getting through the playoffs.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2023 23:17]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 23:19 - Apr 26 with 755 viewsTobytyke

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 20:50 - Apr 26 by Kropotkin123

"Every... 50/50.... Seemed to go your way"

50/50s generally do feel that way as we have are respective bias that are at odds with 50/50. I was surprized that Barnsley got away with so much persistent fouling. No decision was as bad as the goal that was incorrectly ruled out at Portman Road.

The penalty, looked like one to me. You can't run across someone tripping them up, particularly in the box, and expect it not to be a foul. Surprised it was such a talking point, as it was missed and occured when we were 2 up.

With that said, I feel Barnsley were tidy when in possession, but surprisingly toothless up front and your keep seemed weak. I think you were the best team we have faced in our unbeaten run. Plymouth are the only team that I think are better. Thinking you will win the play-offs, but I'm routing for Peterborough, if we are promoted automatically.

Best of luck
[Post edited 26 Apr 2023 21:09]

I've no real issue with the penalty, it was a little soft (Burns had gone down quite easily a few times before), but I can see why it was given. What you've to understand is, we've had one penalty all season, so our fans have a tendency to compare every penalty against us (of which there's been about 8) to every decision which hasn't gone in our favour. Apparently they even themselves out, so I'm expecting 7 penalties in our favour during the play-offs.
Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 23:35 - Apr 26 with 729 viewsjayessess

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 23:08 - Apr 26 by Tobytyke

Thought the referee had a pretty high threshold for yellow cards, let Norwood charge around like he wanted revenge on the world, Anderson clamber all over Hirst's head and it took us a while to realise this guy didn't actually intend to referee the match. At which point we started throwing our weight around.

Subjective whether you like games to be reffed like that.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 02:31 - Apr 27 with 626 viewsKropotkin123

Barnsley fans are amongst the most gracious anywhere on 23:19 - Apr 26 by Tobytyke

I've no real issue with the penalty, it was a little soft (Burns had gone down quite easily a few times before), but I can see why it was given. What you've to understand is, we've had one penalty all season, so our fans have a tendency to compare every penalty against us (of which there's been about 8) to every decision which hasn't gone in our favour. Apparently they even themselves out, so I'm expecting 7 penalties in our favour during the play-offs.

That makes a lot more sense. I saw a ridiculous one a few weeks back, that should have been a pen. Can't remember who against. We had the tendency to do that too, when we went through a long spell without a penalty.

At Sheff Wed we had object thrown at players/officials. The officials ended up given an offside goal after the intimidation. Seeing stuff thrown in the direction of players, and then seeing some of your fans justify it through poor referee decisions (that were tame compared to some of the stuff we've seen this season) irked me. I'm not willing to accept the narrative that supports others saying the official was our 12th man, and we are corrupt. Just comes across as pathetic.

Its particularly annoying as if you asked Town fans before the season who they would want to go up along side us, a large percentage would have said Barnsley, as some are still doing now. But all this sours it for me. Obviously we can't get international organizations to falsely call up players, we are justified in not wanting fans of promotion rivals officiating our games, and our players don't deserve to have things thrown at them.

Anyway, you over Sheff Wed 8 days a week.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2023 14:59]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024