Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Transfer Window.... 10:51 - Jul 26 with 6224 viewsITFCBlues

What's everyone's views of the window thus far?

I get the impression that we're finding things more difficult than we anticipated. Guess there is a little more money in the market with big sales for Birmingham & Coventry. Bristol City potentially spending a little more with the impending sale of Scott, seems to be making things a little more difficult than anticipated to get deals done.

We've not had a terrible window of course, but we've not been "ruthless" by any means especially when a few more in the know were suggesting there were big players being targeted. Still plenty of time of course - perhaps things will get a little easier towards the end of the window?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Transfer Window.... on 15:47 - Jul 26 with 933 viewsthatbdude

Transfer Window.... on 14:15 - Jul 26 by Nutkins_Return

I think we've been spoilt by level of signings we were able to attract in L1 and the numbers. For more than 12 months and after the initial spurge we've been careful to recruit players to take the step up with us. Davis, Harness (Jury still out but clearly plan), Clarke, Broadhead etc etc.

People talking about McKenna wanting to get signings done early (yes of course - managers always say that) but missing the point that our squad being built and having played together for a year and not wholesale changes this year is part of what will make us strong this year.

We're adding some quality now and again I'm sure in Jan. But it would be unhelpful to do 10 plus signings again in one leap.

"But it would be unhelpful to do 10 plus signings again in one leap."

I mean Forest signed 27 players last season (plus 5 loanees) and got rid of 17 players (plus 26 loan exits), pratically making a new squad from scratch and just about avoided relegation.

Poll: Who going down?

Transfer Window.... on 15:53 - Jul 26 with 903 viewsthatbdude

While it hasn't been our greatest transfer window (so far), I do think we have made some great signings. I wouldn't call it underwhelming or terrible however.

If your talking about other teams than yeah I would say Bristol City are bit overspending, especially compared to the last few windows. I do like how Luton aren't doing a Forest (see my reply above) and keeping it traditional.

Poll: Who going down?

Transfer Window.... on 22:26 - Jul 26 with 774 viewsCarpyBlue

This year's transfer window has been lacklustre and disappointing.

Firstly, the financial impact of the COVID-19 pandemic has severely affected clubs' spending power. Many teams are struggling financially, leading to a decrease in big money transfers. This has resulted in fewer high profile signings and less excitement for fans.

Furthermore, the lack of competition among clubs has also contributed to a dull transfer window. With some teams dominating their respective leagues, there is little need for major reinforcements. This lack of urgency from top clubs has trickled down to other teams as well, resulting in fewer significant transfers across the board.

Moreover, player valuations have become exorbitant and unrealistic. Clubs are demanding astronomical fees for their players, making it difficult for potential buyers to strike deals. This overvaluation hinders negotiations and prevents transfers from materialising.
Transfer Window.... on 23:38 - Jul 26 with 725 viewsVegtablue

6/10 at the mo (KMc extension excluded from my scoring)
What does that even mean in any practical sense? on 00:09 - Jul 27 with 685 viewsPioneerBlue

What does that even mean in any practical sense? on 11:29 - Jul 26 by Dyland

In the real world I mean...

"Getting players in early."

Yes yes yes, I know what it literally means, but that is the same for every manager ffs. An old adage in deciphering spin is say the opposite and if it sounds silly then the original comment is vacuous....

McKenna likes to get players in early, whereas Pep, for example, likes to get players in late.

It took two windows to land Hirst (three if we're talking permanent move), three for Taylor. Both long term targets and essential parts of McK's jigsaw.

You can carry on talking this meaningless nonsense if you want though dear boy.

Why could I double like!

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Transfer Window.... on 08:18 - Jul 27 with 598 viewsBlueBoots

Transfer Window.... on 11:26 - Jul 26 by Churchman

There’s nothing wrong with evolution over revolution. I know it’s exciting accumulating new players, but like the thrill of a new manager, it doesn’t always equate to success.

The team has been put together with players too good for L1, as the last 3 months of the season showed. We were not reliant on loanees to get us up or in a number of cases average L1 players. The manager and CEO have been pretty clear on the strategy and I’m more than happy with limited changes this summer. If we were way to good for L1 does that make us too weak for the Championship? I don’t think so.

We brought in four players in January. All of them better than what we had. We’ve signed one of those permanently and brought in a midfielder and a potential talent for the season. I’d love to see in particular a high quality defender come in and being greedy another forward.

But if we go with what we have, fine. The players who did so well last year deserve their chance. They moulded into a real team. I don’t know how well it’ll do, but we are miles ahead of the chaos we saw during Hurst, Lambert, Evans’ time.

In conclusion, the Window has been fine. Another good quality defender in and it’ll be brilliant.

Pretty much nailed it with this post. Personally I'd prefer us to sign an experienced CB (i.e. a younger Keogh replacement who can help improve the players we already have, but capable of playing more games if necessary) and start the season with Burgess and Woolf; think they've earned that right.

Regarding signing another forward, I mentioned on another thread that I thought the best solution was for us to sign someone under 21 (as we did at the other end of the pitch) who won't count towards the squad numbers - realistically, they'll only get game time as an impact sub or if Hirst / Ladapo are out for any reason. In an ideal world we would have developed one of our own through the academy, but don't think we have any that are ready to make the step up at the moment.

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Transfer Window.... on 09:09 - Jul 27 with 563 viewstractorboy1978

Transfer Window.... on 08:18 - Jul 27 by BlueBoots

Pretty much nailed it with this post. Personally I'd prefer us to sign an experienced CB (i.e. a younger Keogh replacement who can help improve the players we already have, but capable of playing more games if necessary) and start the season with Burgess and Woolf; think they've earned that right.

Regarding signing another forward, I mentioned on another thread that I thought the best solution was for us to sign someone under 21 (as we did at the other end of the pitch) who won't count towards the squad numbers - realistically, they'll only get game time as an impact sub or if Hirst / Ladapo are out for any reason. In an ideal world we would have developed one of our own through the academy, but don't think we have any that are ready to make the step up at the moment.

If Hirst got injured for any period of time we are incredibly light and lacking quality in depth though. I like Ladapo but we all saw the different level Hirst took us to last season, and that was in L1 rather than the Championship.

As I said earlier in the thread, I don't see how we go from Simms/Surridge/similar level of player + Hirst earlier in the window to where we are currently.
4/10 so far..... on 09:13 - Jul 27 with 550 viewsBiGDonnie

4/10 so far..... on 13:58 - Jul 26 by Bloots

....we haven't improved our starting 11 to any real degree so far, despite the obvious need to do so, as we come up against far stronger opposition.

Taylor will probably be an improvement on Luongo in the medium/long term, but in the short time it remains to be seen.

Of course the "window" isn't just about buying players and we can't just keep paying up players contracts and letting them walk out of the door if they don't work out.

This said I expect we'll be up to a 6/10 in a couple of weeks with the addition of a CB, and hopefully more by the end of the window.

Getting upped by talkingsh!te. Bad times.

FWIW 7/10 so far, got the two main players we were trying to get in. Yeah we'll sign a couple more but there won't be wholesale changes that people seem to want. Just because we're not replacing half the team doesn't make it a bad window thus far.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024