Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Transfer Window.... 10:51 - Jul 26 with 6225 viewsITFCBlues

What's everyone's views of the window thus far?

I get the impression that we're finding things more difficult than we anticipated. Guess there is a little more money in the market with big sales for Birmingham & Coventry. Bristol City potentially spending a little more with the impending sale of Scott, seems to be making things a little more difficult than anticipated to get deals done.

We've not had a terrible window of course, but we've not been "ruthless" by any means especially when a few more in the know were suggesting there were big players being targeted. Still plenty of time of course - perhaps things will get a little easier towards the end of the window?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Transfer Window.... on 12:00 - Jul 26 with 1637 viewsportmanking

The feeling I'm getting is that a lot of these deals are going to drop in August. We're probably beholden to PL clubs and maybe even top-flight foreign clubs for the dominoes to fall in our favour. It could even be that we're most active in the final week of August as the big boys get going and decide what to do with their youngsters or fringe players.

Don't be surprised to see some player trading with other Championship clubs either...
Transfer Window.... on 12:01 - Jul 26 with 1624 viewsMookamoo

Transfer Window.... on 11:43 - Jul 26 by tractorboy1978

We were genuinely sniffing around Downes amongst others at the start of the window - we cannot have realistically thought we could get him for £1.5m! Ditto the likes of Simms and Surridge.

Taylor and Hirst were always going to come in. Yes, we needed to get the deals done but that point remains. We were/are still looking for another striker and midfielder amongst other positions and we were willing to spend decent money.

I've a feeling people are going to get very sad when they find out Jackson is striker No3.
Transfer Window.... on 12:04 - Jul 26 with 1602 viewstractorboy1978

Transfer Window.... on 12:01 - Jul 26 by Mookamoo

I've a feeling people are going to get very sad when they find out Jackson is striker No3.

If he is by the end of the window then Ashton/McKenna will be more disappointed than anyone with our recruitment.
Transfer Window.... on 12:08 - Jul 26 with 1584 viewsMookamoo

Transfer Window.... on 12:04 - Jul 26 by tractorboy1978

If he is by the end of the window then Ashton/McKenna will be more disappointed than anyone with our recruitment.

Are you suggesting we will sell him? That is the only way you can make space in a 25 man squad to bring in another striker. And then are you suggesting Lapado is a 3rd choice? I don't see it.
Transfer Window.... on 12:13 - Jul 26 with 1561 viewstractorboy1978

Transfer Window.... on 12:08 - Jul 26 by Mookamoo

Are you suggesting we will sell him? That is the only way you can make space in a 25 man squad to bring in another striker. And then are you suggesting Lapado is a 3rd choice? I don't see it.

I think it is very possible, yes. We wanted Simms/Surridge + Hirst so clearly want another.

My guess is that two of the following will leave (loan or permanent) before the window closes:

Edmundson
Leigh
Evans
Jackson
Ladapo
Transfer Window.... on 12:13 - Jul 26 with 1552 viewsTalkingBlues

Transfer Window.... on 11:45 - Jul 26 by Kieran_Knows

Armstrong too.

And that is the one that baffles me the most, he had been signed for £15 million and touted as £10 million to £12 million to buy and we were making enquiries??? I guess it must have been for a loan, but his wages would have been exorbitant and they’d been relegated, so what’s the chance of them loaning him?? All a bit odd that one.

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

Transfer Window.... on 12:15 - Jul 26 with 1552 viewsBigCommon

Transfer Window.... on 11:59 - Jul 26 by TalkingBlues

It's not about buying expensive players, I think we need some more experience at this level, a mix of players with potential and experience in this league, I think we are light on the former, particularly at CB, but up front too.

There'll be different perspectives, but Simms and Rak Sakyi were top targets and we are likely to end up missing out on both, which is unfortunate, what's the back up plan? Hirst was always coming, who do we look at now for the other spot that offer what the manager is looking for in this market? I think the reason we haven't seen more players leave, is because our recruitment team haven't delivered the targets set and we don't want to leave ourselves short and having to make hasty additions as the season kicks off, catch22, cos you can't then spend much money due to FFP, as you state.

Still time, but there's absolutely no doubt that McK will not have wanted to be going into the season short on players he has asked for and currently, that's where we are.

No point in just adding bodies. We only want players that will improve the first 11.
I'd rather we kept our powder dry, than just sign more squad fodder..
The availability (and potential cost) of players that would actually improve on what we already have, makes the window what it is for Ashton.
Could be waitng for the loan market to open up a bit. ?
Think we could do with another forward, a CM, and one more in defence, in an ideal world. But have to be genuine upgrades, imo. Otherwise its just another wage we're paying, for no squad improvement.
Transfer Window.... on 12:16 - Jul 26 with 1548 viewsKieran_Knows

Transfer Window.... on 12:13 - Jul 26 by tractorboy1978

I think it is very possible, yes. We wanted Simms/Surridge + Hirst so clearly want another.

My guess is that two of the following will leave (loan or permanent) before the window closes:

Edmundson
Leigh
Evans
Jackson
Ladapo

This. If we go in to the season with Jackson playing any sort of prominent role for us, then god help us.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Login to get fewer ads

Transfer Window.... on 12:22 - Jul 26 with 1513 viewsTalkingBlues

Transfer Window.... on 12:15 - Jul 26 by BigCommon

No point in just adding bodies. We only want players that will improve the first 11.
The availability (and potential cost) of players that would actually improve on what we already have, makes the window what it is for Ashton.
Think we could do with another forward, a CM, and one more in defence, in an ideal world. But have to be genuine upgrades, imo. Otherwise its just another wage we're paying, for no squad improvement.

That’s the thing isn’t it, you know that the price of players for Championship is a significant leap, so what’s the plan if you won’t spend a load of money? We are still targeting Prem players, albeit fringe, with beer money, that’s not gonna work, what then? Loan market by the looks of things, or lower league signings, which is not the ticket when you need a Championship experienced head or two in the squad. Dom Ball is clearly being repurposed as a CB, could work out ok, could be a disaster, time will tell.

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

Transfer Window.... on 12:22 - Jul 26 with 1520 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Transfer Window.... on 12:15 - Jul 26 by BigCommon

If we are squad padding, it would mean spending some of our FFP allocation on that rather than on players improving the 1st XI as well.
Transfer Window.... on 12:44 - Jul 26 with 1471 viewsipswichtillidie

Ashton said “kM is very specific in what he wants” this really tells us everything we need to know. If we have 1 or 2 targets that we think we can get we will wait until they become available. I suspect we are waiting for clubs to come back from tours etc before we start landing anymore players. We only need 1 or maybe 2 more signings to make our squad ready imo. The window can’t be judged until it’s over and there is a long long way to go. If we get to the last day and start signing an @Adahame type player then yes we could say it “could” have been better. All that said the current squad needs to be given a chance to perform before we start making more radical changes imo.

Gav

Transfer Window.... on 12:45 - Jul 26 with 1463 viewsBigCommon

Transfer Window.... on 12:22 - Jul 26 by TalkingBlues

That’s the thing isn’t it, you know that the price of players for Championship is a significant leap, so what’s the plan if you won’t spend a load of money? We are still targeting Prem players, albeit fringe, with beer money, that’s not gonna work, what then? Loan market by the looks of things, or lower league signings, which is not the ticket when you need a Championship experienced head or two in the squad. Dom Ball is clearly being repurposed as a CB, could work out ok, could be a disaster, time will tell.

Yep, it's a tricky one. Can't see us panic buying, though. Unless we get a spate of nasty injuries before the season kicks off..... Let's not forget, also. That the window stays open for a month into the season. So there's a good 6 weeks to do any business..
Think we've been used to snapping up freebies and relatively low cost transfers in L1, early doors. Mostly to pad out the squad last couple of seasons.. What we don't need are more Piggots, Harper's, Fraser's etc..
Morsy mentioned a couple more, possibly coming in. So I'm sure we will see some decent additions before the window is done.
I'm as bored as the next man, though, tbh. In terms of this slower window. But it is what it is...
Transfer Window.... on 13:12 - Jul 26 with 1423 viewsMookamoo

Transfer Window.... on 12:13 - Jul 26 by tractorboy1978

Edmundson
Leigh
Evans
Jackson
Ladapo

Maybe Edmundson goes on loan to get his confidence/fitness back. We would then need a replacement though

Leigh has value if he wanted to go, but we would then need a replacement.

No equivalent sized club will buy Evans with his injury record. The only hope you have of moving him on is to a L1 club and he'll not want to go, especially now with a Championship bonus wage. Even then, we'll need a replacement and that won't be Downes not matter what anyone has said.

I can't see us selling Lapado. If we did are we then if for 2 more number 9s?

Jackson if often seen as the disposable one in the squad, but McKenna clearly rates him. I wouldn't be surprised if he is staying part of the squad. I'm not saying that is a great option, he is an incredibly frustrating player to watch, but given the contracts to Luongo and Aluko I think fans need to steel themsleves ready for a Jackson fun filled squad hole. There is an element of trust there that McKenna values.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2023 13:13]
Transfer Window.... on 13:25 - Jul 26 with 1392 viewsxrayspecs

Transfer Window.... on 12:16 - Jul 26 by Kieran_Knows

This. If we go in to the season with Jackson playing any sort of prominent role for us, then god help us.

Jackson was excellent last night and you can see why KM rates him. His pace caused a lot of problems for the Luton defence. He is an understudy to Burn, not an out and out forward.

We are not going to have 25 first choice players, we simply cannot afford to upgrade everyone outside the first choice XI. Hence the likes of Jackson, Edwards (excellent again last night) and Ball are going to be really important to us. Evans to me is most vulnerable as he slows transition rather than injects the pace we need.
Transfer Window.... on 13:33 - Jul 26 with 1376 viewstractorboy1978

Transfer Window.... on 13:12 - Jul 26 by Mookamoo

Maybe Edmundson goes on loan to get his confidence/fitness back. We would then need a replacement though

Leigh has value if he wanted to go, but we would then need a replacement.

No equivalent sized club will buy Evans with his injury record. The only hope you have of moving him on is to a L1 club and he'll not want to go, especially now with a Championship bonus wage. Even then, we'll need a replacement and that won't be Downes not matter what anyone has said.

I can't see us selling Lapado. If we did are we then if for 2 more number 9s?

Jackson if often seen as the disposable one in the squad, but McKenna clearly rates him. I wouldn't be surprised if he is staying part of the squad. I'm not saying that is a great option, he is an incredibly frustrating player to watch, but given the contracts to Luongo and Aluko I think fans need to steel themsleves ready for a Jackson fun filled squad hole. There is an element of trust there that McKenna values.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2023 13:13]

Not sure you would need to replace Leigh given Davis is our best player and so clearly going to play if fit. Donacien can play there, Humphreys can play there, Edwards can even cover if you want a more attacking option. This is where you can start getting a bit cute with the squad when you have players that can play more than one role.

We will see how it all pans out. Those are the 5 that can either be upgraded or are most disposable though. If we want to bring 2/3 (as I still think we will) in then players are going to have to leave to accommodate that.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2023 13:34]
Transfer Window.... on 13:48 - Jul 26 with 1350 viewsPioneerBlue

Solid. The outgoings and target positions are in line with expectations. The incoming players in those positions are as expected. I still believe there is a little bit to do but have always thought this is a transition over two to three windows not a revolution. The KMcK new contract is a pleasant surprise. Let’s see where we land by Sept then Jan and next summer.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Transfer Window.... on 13:52 - Jul 26 with 1343 viewsMookamoo

Transfer Window.... on 13:33 - Jul 26 by tractorboy1978

Not sure you would need to replace Leigh given Davis is our best player and so clearly going to play if fit. Donacien can play there, Humphreys can play there, Edwards can even cover if you want a more attacking option. This is where you can start getting a bit cute with the squad when you have players that can play more than one role.

We will see how it all pans out. Those are the 5 that can either be upgraded or are most disposable though. If we want to bring 2/3 (as I still think we will) in then players are going to have to leave to accommodate that.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2023 13:34]

I'm not sure that works. You'd be unbalancing what is settled just so you can free up a space for Jackson plus the new striker. The only way I see another ST coming in is if you lose Jackson.

I see the current squad 25 as:
Keepers: Walton, Hladky
DF: Clarke, Donacien, Davis, Leigh, Edmundson, Woolfenden, Burgess (AN Other CB)
MF: Morsy, Taylor, Ball, Luongo, Evans
AM: Broadhead, Burns, Chaplin, Harness, Jackson, Edwards, Hutchinson, Aluko
ST: Hirst, Ladapo
Plus Humpreys and Slicker

Maybe Ball is the CB cover and that frees up the space for new number 9? Maybe I'm wrong and someone will want Evans.
4/10 so far..... on 13:58 - Jul 26 with 1335 viewsBloots

....we haven't improved our starting 11 to any real degree so far, despite the obvious need to do so, as we come up against far stronger opposition.

Taylor will probably be an improvement on Luongo in the medium/long term, but in the short time it remains to be seen.

Of course the "window" isn't just about buying players and we can't just keep paying up players contracts and letting them walk out of the door if they don't work out.

This said I expect we'll be up to a 6/10 in a couple of weeks with the addition of a CB, and hopefully more by the end of the window.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Transfer Window.... on 14:05 - Jul 26 with 1290 viewsgaryr1ley123

I personally think that we have a great squad togetherness , if you look at the back end of last season I would put us right in the playoff push , could we have brought in more players ? Absolutely, do I think there’s a necessity, personally I don’t . The players we signed last year were of championship quality and with the championship in mind. Each member of the squad knows how to play together and well . I think people stressing over purchases (lack of) probably need to take stock of how well we’re run as a club . What we’re capable of (Burnley last season and Luton last night for example) there’s no point bringing in players for the sake of it , so on this basis , I’m very happy with what we have done in the market. Obviously players and in positions those at the top of the club thought would push us forwards. I think we need to relax and have faith , if we started the season with this squad, I’d be happy . If we sign a few more then great .

But really ? I’m panic mode and stressing? Probably not necessary. We will be top 6 or their abouts and should be really happy we have our club back on an upwards trajectory.
Transfer Window.... on 14:15 - Jul 26 with 1261 viewsjayessess

It's gone roughly as I expected, I'd say?

Some people were making long lists of all the players they reckoned we'd consign to the scrap heap and all we've really done is loan some kids out and let go two obvious ones. In renewing Aluko, we've gone even further than I thought we would in keeping people. Think it's obvious now that we're not planning some huge overhaul of our squad players.

Lot of chat about breaking our transfer record or near enough, which never seemed likely to me, with the constraints of FFP and the likely profile of player we could attract. We haven't and I still don't think we will spend that sort of money.

I think we might be trying to push the boundaries of what a club like ours can attract, but that it's going to be hugely difficult to attract players like SImms or Trusty, who have already had excellent seasons in the Championship at a young age. The reality is that most middling Championship teams can't generally recruit like that, they have to take risks on players who'll have question marks over their ability at the level.

I'm OK with us trying (and potentially failing) on some of those ambitious targets, if we're diligent about making sure we're covered if things don't work out. I think we've done that well with our 3 first team signings so far. Get that extra CB in and we're probably in a zone where we can afford to take risks and chase some right up to the window.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2023 14:21]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Transfer Window.... on 14:15 - Jul 26 with 1260 viewsNutkins_Return

Transfer Window.... on 14:05 - Jul 26 by garyr1ley123

I personally think that we have a great squad togetherness , if you look at the back end of last season I would put us right in the playoff push , could we have brought in more players ? Absolutely, do I think there’s a necessity, personally I don’t . The players we signed last year were of championship quality and with the championship in mind. Each member of the squad knows how to play together and well . I think people stressing over purchases (lack of) probably need to take stock of how well we’re run as a club . What we’re capable of (Burnley last season and Luton last night for example) there’s no point bringing in players for the sake of it , so on this basis , I’m very happy with what we have done in the market. Obviously players and in positions those at the top of the club thought would push us forwards. I think we need to relax and have faith , if we started the season with this squad, I’d be happy . If we sign a few more then great .

But really ? I’m panic mode and stressing? Probably not necessary. We will be top 6 or their abouts and should be really happy we have our club back on an upwards trajectory.

I think we've been spoilt by level of signings we were able to attract in L1 and the numbers. For more than 12 months and after the initial spurge we've been careful to recruit players to take the step up with us. Davis, Harness (Jury still out but clearly plan), Clarke, Broadhead etc etc.

People talking about McKenna wanting to get signings done early (yes of course - managers always say that) but missing the point that our squad being built and having played together for a year and not wholesale changes this year is part of what will make us strong this year.

We're adding some quality now and again I'm sure in Jan. But it would be unhelpful to do 10 plus signings again in one leap.
Transfer Window.... on 14:25 - Jul 26 with 1239 viewsSheffordBlue

Transfer Window.... on 13:25 - Jul 26 by xrayspecs

Jackson was excellent last night and you can see why KM rates him. His pace caused a lot of problems for the Luton defence. He is an understudy to Burn, not an out and out forward.

We are not going to have 25 first choice players, we simply cannot afford to upgrade everyone outside the first choice XI. Hence the likes of Jackson, Edwards (excellent again last night) and Ball are going to be really important to us. Evans to me is most vulnerable as he slows transition rather than injects the pace we need.

Agree he was good when he came on last night. While his touch still lets him down his positioning, the runs that he makes and his crossing have all improved a lot from when he was converted from a striker to wide attacking player.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Transfer Window.... on 14:44 - Jul 26 with 1193 viewscressi

Transfer Window.... on 11:45 - Jul 26 by Kieran_Knows

Armstrong too.

More chance louie or Neil Armstrong
(No subject) (n/t) on 15:03 - Jul 26 with 1163 viewsmonkeymagic

Transfer Window.... on 15:26 - Jul 26 with 1125 viewsitfcsuth

Solid window - done what I thought we would do/said we would do

I never thought there was a real need to chop a really good squad - lot's of continuity which I like to see - no outlandish spending - all signs of a really well run club.

KMc trusts this group of players, has made some additions and I am sure at least one more will come in.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024