Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Martin Samuel 10:09 - Aug 16 with 2214 viewsblueoxford

Back handed compliment about ITFC and in particular McKenna in today’s Times. Surprised there’s no mention of Mick McCarthy….
Martin Samuel on 10:38 - Aug 16 with 1966 viewsdirtyboy

Any context? Not many people subscribe to Times or indeed get the paper anymore...
Martin Samuel on 10:43 - Aug 16 with 1928 viewsCaptainAhab

Martin Samuel on 10:38 - Aug 16 by dirtyboy

Any context? Not many people subscribe to Times or indeed get the paper anymore...

In Antigua, on England’s last tour of the West Indies, I got chatting with an Ipswich Town supporter. He told me that their new manager, Kieran McKenna, was the next Sir Alex Ferguson. As Arsène Wenger said, everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home.

But then McKenna elevated Ipswich to a comfortable mid-table position in his first season, won automatic promotion the next, and is now top of the Sky Bet Championship after two games. Ipswich haven’t lost in the league since January 21. Of course, someone’s got to have the prettiest wife at home, haven’t they?
Martin Samuel on 10:44 - Aug 16 with 1904 viewsCaptainAhab

Martin Samuel on 10:38 - Aug 16 by dirtyboy

I think he's suggesting Kieran McKenna is smoking hot
Martin Samuel on 10:56 - Aug 16 with 1799 viewsSharkey

That's not a backhanded compliment. It's a compliment.
Martin Samuel on 11:26 - Aug 16 with 1580 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

That bloke hates Town with a passion, so if he says anything good about Ipswich we are definitely entering the end times, forget Putin, Brexit or Trump!

It was nice knowing you folks.
Martin Samuel on 11:27 - Aug 16 with 1564 viewsGeoffSentence

Martin Samuel on 10:43 - Aug 16 by CaptainAhab

In Antigua, on England’s last tour of the West Indies, I got chatting with an Ipswich Town supporter. He told me that their new manager, Kieran McKenna, was the next Sir Alex Ferguson. As Arsène Wenger said, everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home.

But then McKenna elevated Ipswich to a comfortable mid-table position in his first season, won automatic promotion the next, and is now top of the Sky Bet Championship after two games. Ipswich haven’t lost in the league since January 21. Of course, someone’s got to have the prettiest wife at home, haven’t they?

Two and a half years without a league defeat. If only.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Martin Samuel on 12:03 - Aug 16 with 1355 viewsblueoxford

Martin Samuel on 10:56 - Aug 16 by Sharkey

That's not a backhanded compliment. It's a compliment.

What I meant was it was a backhanded compliment about Town. It’s clearly a compliment about McKenna. He didn’t admit that he was wrong about criticising the club and fans for wanting something better than McCarthy was offering
Martin Samuel on 12:07 - Aug 16 with 1309 viewsJ2BLUE

Martin Samuel on 12:03 - Aug 16 by blueoxford

What I meant was it was a backhanded compliment about Town. It’s clearly a compliment about McKenna. He didn’t admit that he was wrong about criticising the club and fans for wanting something better than McCarthy was offering

I doubt he thinks he got it wrong. From the outside it looks like we got rid of him and then went down for 4 seasons. This is obviously what happened but there is added context that not many outside the club actually see.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2023 12:10]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024