Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
All Quiet on the Eastern Front 11:33 - Aug 22 with 6878 viewsLeistonBlue

Does anyone else think Ashton might be quietly regretting publicly stating that we can expect 2/3 more signings before the end of the window? Feels like it put unnecessary pressure on the situation and leaves him in a bit of a tight spot if things do go to plan and that doesn’t happen…

Also before anyone gets their knickers in a twist that wasn’t a moan!! I actually think that our squad is absolutely fine as it is, though could do with adding some strength in depth in some areas, whether that’s in the next week or in Jan.
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 12:37 - Aug 22 with 1206 viewsNthQldITFC

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 11:46 - Aug 22 by Whos_blue

The question for me is does it really matter?
MA is an astute business man. I think we need to careful as a fanbase that we don't hang on his every word. I suspect he was/is confident of more signings, but if we don't land them I don't see it as "something gone wrong". It's business and you win some you lose some.
As the window closes I'm fearful the over the top scrutiny will then fall to players potentially seen as "panic buys" by some.
Overall, I would say that I find the over forensic scrutiny of every utterance from anyone connected to the club a little unhealthy, but just my opinion.
We're doing ok. We could probably do with a signing or two, but for me we're looking at squad players, not starters.
I'm really not sweating it.

This, this, this. What matters is outcomes, not egos and imagined loss of face. It's all good.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

All Quiet on the Eastern Front (n/t) on 12:42 - Aug 22 with 1184 viewsthe_toff

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 12:19 - Aug 22 by Churchman

I think the majority see Ashton for what he is. He’s a CEO running the day to day operation of the club and clearly enjoys promoting it, hype n all. When it comes down to it the club is in a different universe to the mess of Evans Milne and Clegg. That’s all there is to it.

His choice of words sometimes? Well, that’s him isn’t it. I’ve met many people who talk in bullsh1t bingo terminology and underneath the nonsense, plenty of them knew their stuff. Does Ashton know his stuff? Two years says yes, but he will still make mistakes, choose his words poorly sometimes. At least he’s trying to engage supporters - no bad thing.

Loft for Words Clive said: - ‘An end to the League One season in which they won 13 and drew two of 15 games, scoring a frankly obscene 43 goals and at one point keeping eight straight clean sheets (two 6-0s and three 4-0s among this nonsense)’.

We can now add on three straight Championship wins, 5-1 in goals and we have an extraordinary team right here right now. It’s not just the results either. It’s the way we play.

I hope we can enhance it with a couple of additions - a forward and CH, but given our performance level, I’m totally relaxed about it. Evolution, not Revolution and no Colin Quaners. It’s all good.

[Post edited 22 Aug 2023 12:42]
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 12:45 - Aug 22 with 1159 viewsthe_toff

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 12:31 - Aug 22 by Bobbychase

There will come a time when Ashton will face proper scrutiny but I always remember he was the man who identified and recruited McKenna, with United not convinced they wanted to let him go, and McKenna himself needing some persuading. From that decision comes everything good at the moment, including playing football that means it's hard to get a ticket for home games and we're heading for regular 28-29,000 crowds.

Given we have secured Chaplin on a longer term deal, signed Hirst and Luongo, Taylor and Hutchinson and got McKenna on a longer deal I fail to see how this window has been disappointing. We were playing Championship-level football towards the end of last season thanks to the additions of Hirst, Luongo and Broadhead anyway

If, at the end, we haven't added any more players then something will have not gone to plan, but so many deals are done late as Premier League clubs shuffle their packs.

I think what Ashton also deserves credit for, along with the McKenna recruitment is the team he's built around KM and himself. Well qualified, well staffed, motivated individuals who are playing their part. The fitness / conditioning of this squad now vs the one Cook took over is probably the most stark change of all IMO.
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 12:54 - Aug 22 with 1117 viewsChurchman

There will come a time when Ashton will face proper scrutiny but I always remember he was the man who identified and recruited McKenna, with United not convinced they wanted to let him go, and McKenna himself needing some persuading. From that decision comes everything good at the moment, including playing football that means it's hard to get a ticket for home games and we're heading for regular 28-29,000 crowds.

Given we have secured Chaplin on a longer term deal, signed Hirst and Luongo, Taylor and Hutchinson and got McKenna on a longer deal I fail to see how this window has been disappointing. We were playing Championship-level football towards the end of last season thanks to the additions of Hirst, Luongo and Broadhead anyway

If, at the end, we haven't added any more players then something will have not gone to plan, but so many deals are done late as Premier League clubs shuffle their packs.

Forgot about Hutchinson and signing up Chaplin and especially KM was hugely important.

Yes, Ashton will face proper scrutiny and rightly so. Accountability. I suspect he already gets that from the owners who don’t seem to be the sort of people easily mugged off. Especially the finance bloke. Had we failed to go up, I wonder whether he’d still be with us? Probably but given he recruited McKenna had it not turned out well, maybe not for both of them. Americans don’t tolerate failure.

I suspect a deal or two will be announced out of the blue.
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:01 - Aug 22 with 1084 viewsBobbychase

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 12:54 - Aug 22 by Churchman

Forgot about Hutchinson and signing up Chaplin and especially KM was hugely important.

Yes, Ashton will face proper scrutiny and rightly so. Accountability. I suspect he already gets that from the owners who don’t seem to be the sort of people easily mugged off. Especially the finance bloke. Had we failed to go up, I wonder whether he’d still be with us? Probably but given he recruited McKenna had it not turned out well, maybe not for both of them. Americans don’t tolerate failure.

I suspect a deal or two will be announced out of the blue.

The club has surprised us several times since Gamechanger came in. I expect to be surprised again. And you are right, the Americans are all smiles but they are in this to make money and they only do that if we get to the Prem.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:04 - Aug 22 with 1071 viewsHipsterectomy

This window has been pretty terrible for all of the hype and build up and promises before it opened.

If we were sat on 3/9 points or worse I'm sure most fans would no longer be 'just be patient/the club know who they want'

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:05 - Aug 22 with 1066 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

He said it, I believe he also said they were down the line. So if we don't get 2/3 players in, then Ashton has fell short of the expectations that he set himself and told us would be met. With the caveat of course that he is clearly working hard.

I'm genuinely baffled at how many people are happy to go with the squad we have got when its clear that McKenna and Ashton both want players in the door, we are in a great position which is, in my eyes anyway, the time you should strengthen (always strengthen in a position of strength) and we are an injury away in a few positions (right wing, Striker, and centre half, from having a massive downgrade in terms of personnel but also in how the player would fit in to our system which is our biggest strength.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2023 13:08]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:17 - Aug 22 with 1012 viewsBobbychase

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:04 - Aug 22 by Hipsterectomy

This window has been pretty terrible for all of the hype and build up and promises before it opened.

If we were sat on 3/9 points or worse I'm sure most fans would no longer be 'just be patient/the club know who they want'

I'd rather the club don't sign anyone than sign the wrong people. I hope Ashton has learnt as he's gone along from duds like Piggott and Harper.

Login to get fewer ads

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:24 - Aug 22 with 968 viewsReusersTown

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:05 - Aug 22 by TRUE_BLUE123

He said it, I believe he also said they were down the line. So if we don't get 2/3 players in, then Ashton has fell short of the expectations that he set himself and told us would be met. With the caveat of course that he is clearly working hard.

I'm genuinely baffled at how many people are happy to go with the squad we have got when its clear that McKenna and Ashton both want players in the door, we are in a great position which is, in my eyes anyway, the time you should strengthen (always strengthen in a position of strength) and we are an injury away in a few positions (right wing, Striker, and centre half, from having a massive downgrade in terms of personnel but also in how the player would fit in to our system which is our biggest strength.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2023 13:08]

But that is not the position at all, is it. Who has said they would not prefer a few incoming transfers? What most people are fine with without getting their knickers in a twist, is accepting that it is difficult to improve our squad with the current budget we have available and that there is no point spaffing away what budget we do have in a panic. Playing it this way and buying players we want at a price we are willing to pay will also reap rewards long term in how we will go about our business.
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:30 - Aug 22 with 936 viewsBobbychase

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:24 - Aug 22 by ReusersTown

But that is not the position at all, is it. Who has said they would not prefer a few incoming transfers? What most people are fine with without getting their knickers in a twist, is accepting that it is difficult to improve our squad with the current budget we have available and that there is no point spaffing away what budget we do have in a panic. Playing it this way and buying players we want at a price we are willing to pay will also reap rewards long term in how we will go about our business.

Also, it's a bit premature to say "clearly this window is going wrong". Nobody knows if it is or isn't outside of Ashton, the senior finance people at the club and McKenna. It may look like it's dragging to us on the outside, but how many times have people made themselves look stupid in the past by making statements that then got proved wrong.

If we get to the end of the window without adding any more, clearly something will have not worked out. To say it's already a failure is, at best, premature.

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:30 - Aug 22 with 933 viewsBlueNomad

I think some on here would like MA to take the Chelsea approach!
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:35 - Aug 22 with 918 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:24 - Aug 22 by ReusersTown

Ashton was very clear that we would be bringing in quality additions to improve the team, he said that numerous times throughout the summer. Surely we judge this window of the words of those within the club ? Its not getting knickers in a twist, its not bed wetting. Its taking what's said at face value, and thus far Ashton hasn't delivered on what he said he would do this window.

Good news is, there are still a couple weeks left of the window. Still some top players available. Lets see what the club pulls out the bag. Hopefully the strong start is a draw for players and we can beef up the squad. Its needed imo and its ok to disagree....
[Post edited 22 Aug 2023 13:37]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:41 - Aug 22 with 901 viewsBobbychase

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:35 - Aug 22 by TRUE_BLUE123

Ashton was very clear that we would be bringing in quality additions to improve the team, he said that numerous times throughout the summer. Surely we judge this window of the words of those within the club ? Its not getting knickers in a twist, its not bed wetting. Its taking what's said at face value, and thus far Ashton hasn't delivered on what he said he would do this window.

Good news is, there are still a couple weeks left of the window. Still some top players available. Lets see what the club pulls out the bag. Hopefully the strong start is a draw for players and we can beef up the squad. Its needed imo and its ok to disagree....

The two important bits of your post, I'd suggest:

"thus far Ashton hasn't delivered on what he said he would do this window."

"Good news is, there are still a couple weeks left."

Thus far doesn't matter if we do sign people in the end.

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:42 - Aug 22 with 896 viewsBigCommon

He didn't say anything was "definite" or imminent..
Of course they are trying to sign players, it's the transfer window ffs....
No point chucking bad money at players that arent right, just to please a few blubbers.
So what he falls short this window?..Hes got a bit of credit in the bank, surely, after last season?
Why do some people get great satisfaction in finding a target, within the club, to hound and blame because their own lives might be a bit sh1t right now...
3 games in, 9pts, what more can possibly need.
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:47 - Aug 22 with 853 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:41 - Aug 22 by Bobbychase

The two important bits of your post, I'd suggest:

"thus far Ashton hasn't delivered on what he said he would do this window."

"Good news is, there are still a couple weeks left."

Thus far doesn't matter if we do sign people in the end.

I agree. I'm pretty proud of that bit of the post as it goes.

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:51 - Aug 22 with 831 viewsReusersTown

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:35 - Aug 22 by TRUE_BLUE123

The fact that you and others are giving a hopeful statement on transfers by Ashton this level of scrutiny despite the fact we have started well is ridiculous in my eyes, and very much in the bedwetting neighborhood. I agree that a few players through the door would help but they've got to be the right players at the right price. I don't agree with the way you and others are going about it, constantly courting negativity and fixating on Ashton.
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:51 - Aug 22 with 832 viewsKieran_Knows

With the greatest respect in the world, he's been the CEO of a club with one of the biggest transfer/wage budgets that the Dog and Duck League (League 1) has seen, which was reflected in the signings he made and lapped it up since.

Yet were in a totally different universe now where were not quite the big fish anymore - but you wouldn't think that with the way he's made comments/statements this summer.

Look, there's just over a week left of the market and things can clearly change (we all want that, who wouldn't), but lets not pretend that everything is rosy and this summer has gone completely as we had hoped (to date).
[Post edited 22 Aug 2023 13:51]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:56 - Aug 22 with 780 viewsLankHenners

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:51 - Aug 22 by ReusersTown

The fact that you and others are giving a hopeful statement on transfers by Ashton this level of scrutiny despite the fact we have started well is ridiculous in my eyes, and very much in the bedwetting neighborhood. I agree that a few players through the door would help but they've got to be the right players at the right price. I don't agree with the way you and others are going about it, constantly courting negativity and fixating on Ashton.

Laughable.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:58 - Aug 22 with 763 viewsKieran_Knows

Mark Ashton said jump, did you respond with how high?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:58 - Aug 22 with 761 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

MA deserves immense credit for numerous things he has done, almost every single thing he has done. I personally believe that this transfer window so far has been ok, but we need to add more quality, which is exactly what Ashton said he would do.

if he doesn't, then i suggest we sack him and replace him with Ian Milne.

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 14:03 - Aug 22 with 726 viewsGuthrum

Top of the table with 100% wins, not sure he'll be too worried at the moment.

Tho I bet he'll have a thorough review of what happened and how to do better next time.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 14:07 - Aug 22 with 698 viewsSteve_M

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 14:03 - Aug 22 by Guthrum

Top of the table with 100% wins, not sure he'll be too worried at the moment.

Tho I bet he'll have a thorough review of what happened and how to do better next time.

My concern at the moment is that this looks a bit reminiscent of last Summer, some players in early - and as with last year they are all good additions to the squad - but we clearly want more and haven't achieved that.

How the next week plays out will be quite telling.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 14:13 - Aug 22 with 668 viewsGuthrum

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 14:07 - Aug 22 by Steve_M

My concern at the moment is that this looks a bit reminiscent of last Summer, some players in early - and as with last year they are all good additions to the squad - but we clearly want more and haven't achieved that.

Indeed. But we didn't stop the pursuit and they became valuable January reinforcements instead.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 14:13 - Aug 22 with 669 viewstextbackup

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 14:07 - Aug 22 by Steve_M

I hope it’s a case of waiting on other deals to be complete, other than us now going all panic mode and wasting valuable funds on players just to get bodies in.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 14:21 - Aug 22 with 617 viewsChurchman

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:58 - Aug 22 by TRUE_BLUE123

MA deserves immense credit for numerous things he has done, almost every single thing he has done. I personally believe that this transfer window so far has been ok, but we need to add more quality, which is exactly what Ashton said he would do.

if he doesn't, then i suggest we sack him and replace him with Ian Milne.

Nah, Clegg’s the man. Who else can bring in repainting the turnstiles at such a low cost.

People like a target. One poster was hammering Burgess before the season started but seems to have gone quiet on that. Another wangs on about the good ole days even though for many they really weren’t. Others prefer Ashton as their favourite pantomime villain, not least because they quietly believe the babblings of the Bristol City lobotomised crew.

I too believe the transfer window has been alright especially in the context of who’s been brought in during previous windows and the progress Woolfenden, Humphries and Baggott have made. Still think a couple more would be good, obviously.

As for the question of whether people would be saying this if we had three points from nine the answer is yes. I actually thought three or four points would be a solid start in the context of the fixtures.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2023 14:26]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024