Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today 21:12 - Sep 2 with 10237 viewsle2blue

If they hate it so much, maybe they should stick to the Cymru Premier, they could've been playing Penybont FC away today.
All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 18:51 - Sep 3 with 1627 viewsDJR

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 18:38 - Sep 3 by jacobnikons

It got stoked up when Blair gave devolution to Wales, Scotland and NI and totally ignored 83% of the UK (England) and we were supposed to remain British while the other three nations were encouraged to express their national identity while we paid for their 'parliaments' and extra layer of bureaucracy. Football wise it is time UEFA forced the Welsh clubs back into their own league. They have had one since 1992 and they are taking the places of English clubs looking to get into the EFL. They will refuse of course because of money, but a league of Wales with Swansea, Cardiff, Newport, Wrexham would be no worse than the Scottish league and would at least be patriotic rather than hypocritical which they are at present.

Leaving aside the provocative nature of your early comments to anyone who isn't English, the position with regard to Welsh clubs merely reflects a similar anomaly which enables England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland to have separate national teams, something which no other country in the world has and I imagine all in the respective nations are happy to continue.

Or are you asking for a United Kingdom team?
[Post edited 3 Sep 2023 19:02]
All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 18:53 - Sep 3 with 1622 viewsBluespeed225

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 13:57 - Sep 3 by algy

Can understand the historical reasons for Cardiff and others being in the English football pyramid, there wasn't a Welsh league until 1992, which they refused to join, could have qualified for Europe every season. They'd rather play in the English league than the Champions League or Europa League. Weird nation of Anglophobes.

But several Welsh teams have Euro history by winning the Welsh Cup. Our own Bobby Ferguson was part of the Cardiff team that went on a run back in 70/71 I think.
All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 18:57 - Sep 3 with 1596 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 18:36 - Sep 3 by _clive_baker_

Up there with the most ridiculous posts I’ve ever seen on here.

*must find a way to defend offensive behaviour of non-English fans, whilst simultaneously having a pop at English fans*

Sad.
All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 19:00 - Sep 3 with 1574 viewsSwansea_Blue

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 18:38 - Sep 3 by jacobnikons

It got stoked up when Blair gave devolution to Wales, Scotland and NI and totally ignored 83% of the UK (England) and we were supposed to remain British while the other three nations were encouraged to express their national identity while we paid for their 'parliaments' and extra layer of bureaucracy. Football wise it is time UEFA forced the Welsh clubs back into their own league. They have had one since 1992 and they are taking the places of English clubs looking to get into the EFL. They will refuse of course because of money, but a league of Wales with Swansea, Cardiff, Newport, Wrexham would be no worse than the Scottish league and would at least be patriotic rather than hypocritical which they are at present.

No it didn’t. I’m talking about changes in the last few years.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 19:28 - Sep 3 with 1538 viewsSwansea_Blue

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 18:51 - Sep 3 by DJR

Leaving aside the provocative nature of your early comments to anyone who isn't English, the position with regard to Welsh clubs merely reflects a similar anomaly which enables England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland to have separate national teams, something which no other country in the world has and I imagine all in the respective nations are happy to continue.

Something which no other political nation state has, not country. There’s a difference and the failure for people to recognise that is at the root cause of the issue we’re talking about (not aimed at you; I know you know the difference).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 19:54 - Sep 3 with 1468 viewsjacobnikons

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 18:51 - Sep 3 by DJR

not at all. The first international match was between England and Scotland and I believe the oldest international tournament was the British or Home International championship. I may be incorrect. FIFA/ UEFA have always allowed separate UK national sides. What do you find so provocative btw?
All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 20:04 - Sep 3 with 1451 viewsDJR

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 19:54 - Sep 3 by jacobnikons

not at all. The first international match was between England and Scotland and I believe the oldest international tournament was the British or Home International championship. I may be incorrect. FIFA/ UEFA have always allowed separate UK national sides. What do you find so provocative btw?

The idea, say, that Scotland could prevent by what I wouldn't call a bureaucracy the poll tax being imposed on it by an effectively English government it didn't vote for. Also saying "we", ie. the English, paid for it.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2023 20:07]
All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 20:40 - Sep 3 with 1391 viewsDJR

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 18:25 - Sep 3 by Swansea_Blue

They always have had that side to them, unfortunately. The nationalist chants (from everyone) are worst now than at any time I can remember. The seem to have ramped up over the last 4-5 years. I don’t know why - maybe it reflects the divisions in the country stoked by the likes of Brexit; agro generally seems worse after Covid, so maybe that’s got something to do with it; maybe it’s a response to people struggling during harder times; could be the old white powder being used more widely making the idiots more idiotic. Or maybe it’s got nothing to do with any of that. Every time I go to a Swansea match these days, national anthems are flying around all over the place. Bristol City started off GSTK during the player warm up at the weekend. I don’t remember it being anywhere near as common pre-Covid/Brexit, etc.

Here's an interesting article suggesting anti-Scottish sentiment in England since Brexit.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19070990.charting-anti-scottish-hostility-rise

However, speaking as someone who regards themselves as Scottish, despite not being born there, I have long regarded the British (effectively English) media and establishment as pretty hostile to, or dismissive of, many things Scottish. And maybe it is things such as this (along with the sort of English exceptionalism and arrogance which long pre-dates, but led to, Brexit) which fuels some of the resentment in the Celtic nations.

But we mustn't forget that we shouldn't read too much in to the behaviour of certain football fans who, because of the tribal nature of football, just go a bit too far.

EDIT: I might add that some of the resentment felt in the Celtic nations has parallels with the views that many in the regions of England feel towards London and the South East, although that obviously could not demonstrate itself in the form of anti-English sentiment.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2023 6:24]
Login to get fewer ads

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 20:47 - Sep 3 with 1374 viewsWeWereZombies

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 20:40 - Sep 3 by DJR

Here's an interesting article suggesting anti-Scottish sentiment in England since Brexit.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19070990.charting-anti-scottish-hostility-rise

However, speaking as someone who regards themselves as Scottish, despite not being born there, I have long regarded the British (effectively English) media and establishment as pretty hostile to, or dismissive of, many things Scottish. And maybe it is things such as this (along with the sort of English exceptionalism and arrogance which long pre-dates, but led to, Brexit) which fuels some of the resentment in the Celtic nations.

But we mustn't forget that we shouldn't read too much in to the behaviour of certain football fans who, because of the tribal nature of football, just go a bit too far.

EDIT: I might add that some of the resentment felt in the Celtic nations has parallels with the views that many in the regions of England feel towards London and the South East, although that obviously could not demonstrate itself in the form of anti-English sentiment.

I should read your link before posting but I find The National so one sided that it reminds me of the Daily Mail (Scottish or otherwise.)

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 20:47 - Sep 3 with 1372 viewsDJR

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 20:47 - Sep 3 by WeWereZombies

I should read your link before posting but I find The National so one sided that it reminds me of the Daily Mail (Scottish or otherwise.)

I couldn't agree more.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2023 20:52]
All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 21:40 - Sep 3 with 1266 viewssolemio

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 19:28 - Sep 3 by Swansea_Blue

Something which no other political nation state has, not country. There’s a difference and the failure for people to recognise that is at the root cause of the issue we’re talking about (not aimed at you; I know you know the difference).

Ah, a member of the UN in its own right.
All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 21:50 - Sep 3 with 1241 viewsGlasgowBlue

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 20:40 - Sep 3 by DJR

The National FFS. Pravda for Scots Nats.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 06:34 - Sep 4 with 1073 viewscvillageblue

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 07:38 - Sep 3 by Clutch

Wales is lucky it's still recognised as a country instead of a county.

As a Welshman I hate the anti English songs - however the patronising nature of some of the messages like this one and by Keno does partially explain why they exist!

When we play at Cardiff and Swansea this year it’s worth remembering that there’ll probably be tens of Welsh Town fans in attendance.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2023 7:13]

Blog: Was It Worth It?

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 06:38 - Sep 4 with 1073 viewsDJR

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 21:50 - Sep 3 by GlasgowBlue

The National FFS. Pravda for Scots Nats.

McPravda? But then again, it is no different in that sense to the Mail, Express, Sun, Times and Telegraph which are Pravda for the Tory Party.

So far as I am aware, it is the only media outlet in the UK which is not opposed to, or dismissive of, Scottish independence (including the Scottish editions of the UK papers), which in my view makes it extraordinary that the SNP does so well in the polls.

As it is, the issue was also reported in the Herald.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19071840.brexit-triggers-spike-anti-scottish
[Post edited 4 Sep 2023 6:40]
All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 07:14 - Sep 4 with 1038 viewsDJR

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 06:34 - Sep 4 by cvillageblue

As a Welshman I hate the anti English songs - however the patronising nature of some of the messages like this one and by Keno does partially explain why they exist!

When we play at Cardiff and Swansea this year it’s worth remembering that there’ll probably be tens of Welsh Town fans in attendance.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2023 7:13]

There are also plenty examples of anti-Welsh comments in the media which also no doubt fuel it.

Here are just a few examples.

A. A. Gill in The Sunday Times in 1997 described the Welsh as "loquacious, dissemblers, immoral liars, stunted, bigoted, dark, ugly, pugnacious little trolls."

A. N. Wilson said: "The Welsh have never made any significant contribution to any branch of knowledge, culture or entertainment. They have no architecture, no gastronomic tradition, no literature worthy of the name."

Jeremy Clarkson said "It's entirely unfair that some people are born fat or ugly or dyslexic or disabled or ginger or small or Welsh. Life, I'm afraid, is tragic."

Rod Liddle, in The Spectator magazine, described Welsh people as "miserable, seaweed munching, sheep-bothering pinch-faced hill-tribes".
All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 08:13 - Sep 4 with 962 viewsCityBlue

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 09:23 - Sep 3 by Matt_Netherlands

Racist chanting innit.

country is not a race

I T I D

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 08:48 - Sep 4 with 929 viewsWeWereZombies

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 06:38 - Sep 4 by DJR

McPravda? But then again, it is no different in that sense to the Mail, Express, Sun, Times and Telegraph which are Pravda for the Tory Party.

So far as I am aware, it is the only media outlet in the UK which is not opposed to, or dismissive of, Scottish independence (including the Scottish editions of the UK papers), which in my view makes it extraordinary that the SNP does so well in the polls.

As it is, the issue was also reported in the Herald.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19071840.brexit-triggers-spike-anti-scottish
[Post edited 4 Sep 2023 6:40]

Ah, that's better, I can live with The Herald. Interesting article with reasonable evidence in being grounded in well researched observation. As an 'Anglo' (i'm never going to lose my middle class English accent, especially after a woman from Kyrgyzstan told me it was sexy) who has lived in Scotland for ten years (or yearsh when I hear the word in my brain now) I enjoy the feeling of being back in Scotland as soon as I cross the border and stop off, usually, In Jedburgh, it fees like home (or hame if you prefer.) There are still many parts of England I enjoy visiting; Suffolk, Norfolk, Eastfolk, Wiltshire, and South Derbyshire for example, but sometimes there is an undercurrent of nastiness around that I never noticed when I lived there.

I was talking about how at ease Scots seem to be at starting conversations with strangers (just because you happen to be two people in the same place at the same time waiting for something) with an old Cypriot friend and he said he was fully in favour of that, always did it himself. There is always a danger in making generalisations on national lines and stand offishness is not unknown in Scotland (providing fertile comedic material for Billy Connolly, Frankie Boyle and Kevin Bridges amongst others) but England does seem to be leading in that unfortunate league.

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 08:48 - Sep 4 with 929 viewsDJR

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 08:13 - Sep 4 by CityBlue

country is not a race

But ethnic origin (eg. being Welsh or English) is included within the definition of "race" for the purposes of legislation relating to equality and race and hate crime.

For example, it would be discrimination for a company in Wales to treat an English employee unfairly because they were English, and vice-versa.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2023 9:03]
All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 09:02 - Sep 4 with 899 viewsDJR

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 08:48 - Sep 4 by WeWereZombies

Ah, that's better, I can live with The Herald. Interesting article with reasonable evidence in being grounded in well researched observation. As an 'Anglo' (i'm never going to lose my middle class English accent, especially after a woman from Kyrgyzstan told me it was sexy) who has lived in Scotland for ten years (or yearsh when I hear the word in my brain now) I enjoy the feeling of being back in Scotland as soon as I cross the border and stop off, usually, In Jedburgh, it fees like home (or hame if you prefer.) There are still many parts of England I enjoy visiting; Suffolk, Norfolk, Eastfolk, Wiltshire, and South Derbyshire for example, but sometimes there is an undercurrent of nastiness around that I never noticed when I lived there.

I was talking about how at ease Scots seem to be at starting conversations with strangers (just because you happen to be two people in the same place at the same time waiting for something) with an old Cypriot friend and he said he was fully in favour of that, always did it himself. There is always a danger in making generalisations on national lines and stand offishness is not unknown in Scotland (providing fertile comedic material for Billy Connolly, Frankie Boyle and Kevin Bridges amongst others) but England does seem to be leading in that unfortunate league.

I must admit a warm feeling comes over me when landing at Edinburgh airport, because I feel I am home, despite only living there for a fairly short period when I was one, after my parents came back from Canada before moving to England for my father's work, something my mother never wanted to do.

And when it comes to the friendliness and helpfulness of strangers and staff, I always think the Scots go out of their way. I have found a similar thing in Northern Ireland, but it has to be said that in England things on that front markedly improve the further you move away from London and the South East.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2023 9:06]
All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 09:03 - Sep 4 with 891 viewsCrawfordsboot

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 08:48 - Sep 4 by DJR

But ethnic origin (eg. being Welsh or English) is included within the definition of "race" for the purposes of legislation relating to equality and race and hate crime.

For example, it would be discrimination for a company in Wales to treat an English employee unfairly because they were English, and vice-versa.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2023 9:03]

What if they come from Norwich?
All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 09:06 - Sep 4 with 875 viewsWeWereZombies

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 09:03 - Sep 4 by Crawfordsboot

What if they come from Norwich?

Now, now, there's no need to bring veterinary science into things...

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 09:10 - Sep 4 with 871 viewssolemio

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 09:02 - Sep 4 by DJR

I must admit a warm feeling comes over me when landing at Edinburgh airport, because I feel I am home, despite only living there for a fairly short period when I was one, after my parents came back from Canada before moving to England for my father's work, something my mother never wanted to do.

And when it comes to the friendliness and helpfulness of strangers and staff, I always think the Scots go out of their way. I have found a similar thing in Northern Ireland, but it has to be said that in England things on that front markedly improve the further you move away from London and the South East.

A relation from Walthamstow when she comes to see us in St Albans can't believe how many folk you pass give you a nod, smile or greeting. We're about 20 miles from Charing Cross.

The same cannot be said about Harpenden. The difference is very noticeable. We always say that they are grudgingly prepared to let St Albans people into their town, but if you come in from Luton you have to show your passport and visa.
All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 09:15 - Sep 4 with 866 viewsWeWereZombies

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 09:10 - Sep 4 by solemio

A relation from Walthamstow when she comes to see us in St Albans can't believe how many folk you pass give you a nod, smile or greeting. We're about 20 miles from Charing Cross.

The same cannot be said about Harpenden. The difference is very noticeable. We always say that they are grudgingly prepared to let St Albans people into their town, but if you come in from Luton you have to show your passport and visa.

Harpenden ! I mean, it's hardly Chorleywood or Rickmansworth, is it ?

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 09:19 - Sep 4 with 860 viewskeighleyblue

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 18:25 - Sep 3 by Swansea_Blue

They always have had that side to them, unfortunately. The nationalist chants (from everyone) are worst now than at any time I can remember. The seem to have ramped up over the last 4-5 years. I don’t know why - maybe it reflects the divisions in the country stoked by the likes of Brexit; agro generally seems worse after Covid, so maybe that’s got something to do with it; maybe it’s a response to people struggling during harder times; could be the old white powder being used more widely making the idiots more idiotic. Or maybe it’s got nothing to do with any of that. Every time I go to a Swansea match these days, national anthems are flying around all over the place. Bristol City started off GSTK during the player warm up at the weekend. I don’t remember it being anywhere near as common pre-Covid/Brexit, etc.

Right wing headbangers will be right wing headbangers, whatever their nationality, as you correctly say Brexit and other global trends towards nationalism have recently stoked the flames
All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 09:21 - Sep 4 with 853 viewsDJR

All the anti-English songs from Cardiff fans today on 09:02 - Sep 4 by DJR

A couple of examples of friendliness and helpfulness spring to mind, both from so-called "snooty" Edinburgh.

I was on a football tour many years ago, and a group of us had a sit-down meal in a fish and chip shop. Once we had eaten, the owners offered us free fish and chips because we had been such good customers. Admittedly it was near to closing, and the food would probably have gone to waste, but that has never happened to me anywhere else.

On my last visit, when wanting to see the Scottish Parliament, I looked to park in the car park for Holyrood Palace. But even though we weren't strictly entitled to, the man supervising the car park said I'd be fine, the complete opposite of the usual jobsworth you get elsewhere.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2023 9:31]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024